The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #376
Anubis
Sup?

Default Re: 2012/2013 NBA thread: My Team is Better Than Your Team! - Part 2

Yeah, well, Lebron can't go left either, but doesn't seem to stop him.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #377
the last son
Side-Kick

The NBA needs to put the height of the hoop to 10.5. Whatever the width of the court are it needs to be wider. The length of the court needs to be another 10 feet. Those are the changes I would make

Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #378
Anubis
Sup?

That seems pointless and silly.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #379
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

You know what's hilarious? At the start of this season, Thunder management appeared like a bunch of geniuses for trading Harden away. ESPN labeled him overrated and proclaimed that he would never be a superstar without Durant and Westbrook at his side.

Fast forward 50 games later, Harden is one of best scorers in the NBA and The Thunder ain't winning a title without him.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #380
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

None of that's changed.

Oklahoma was never winning a title without him, but simultaneously he's not worth a MAX contract.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #381
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, it was kind of a situation where letting him go was the only smart thing to do...even if it wasn't the preferable thing.

The only people (IE the media) who are really stupid is everyone who constantly bounces back and forth in their opinion of a player.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #382
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

The smart thing to do was trading westbrook and keeping harden

Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #383
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Harden has really stepped up in his role

Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #384
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Yeah, Harden was never going to be the same player in OKC, unless something happened where either Durant or Westbrook went down for a significant period of time. Durant was obviously the top scorer and the main man, and Westbrook was the SG posing as the PG. Just like that Fresh Prince gif joked at, if Durant was getting the ball and scoring, he was going to make sure he got the ball and scored instead. Harden couldn't have that same mentality because it just wouldn't have worked.

It's a big reason why Miami is so good with their big three, because they're each willing to share, even though they could take over the game on their own if they wanted.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #385
Hound55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
The smart thing to do was trading westbrook and keeping harden
They still would have had to MAX Harden out, which would have screwed them cap-wise for years to come.

If money weren't an issue and it legitimately could have been an either/or one or the other, then yes I agree. But it is an issue, so it wouldn't work.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #386
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
They still would have had to MAX Harden out, which would have screwed them cap-wise for years to come.

If money weren't an issue and it legitimately could have been an either/or one or the other, then yes I agree. But it is an issue, so it wouldn't work.
It's funny because they were talking about this a lot in the past week with pretty much all sports, where you see a lot of deals and trades being made simply for financial reasons. I think its one thing when a player is already getting paid a certain amount and the team can no longer afford them, but its a completely different issues when a player is asking for a lot of money, regardless of whether people believe they are worth it or not.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #387
Hound55

I think the Harden thing was more understandable than the Rudy Gay trade.

I can't shake the feeling that the Rudy Gay trade was Hollinger being Hollinger and was a terrible deal for the Grizzlies to make which may well have cost them a chance at winning it all.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #388
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:

Exactly. Harden just became too much of a commodity for them to keep.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #389
Mister J
El Jefe en Púrpura
SHH! Global Moderator

Harden was going to improve numbers-wise. It was just a matter of if he would still be as efficient. I don't know many people, if any, who haven't been surprised by just how good he's been.

I wouldn't have given Ibaka all that money on the extension as to save a bit more room to keep the Beard, even though I don't think you give a max contract to a 6th man. Actually, I wouldn't have given Perkins all that money. While I think Ibaka's play gets overstated (even with his improvement in midrange), he's still light years better than Perkins, who has been living off reputation for years. Although, I'm glad they did give Perk the big extension, especially since Brooks seems hellbent on giving him far more minutes than Collison when they play Miami.

Some extra money carved out here and there might have been able to keep Harden around... or at least could have gone to providing Russell Westbrook with specialized psychological therapy. It'll be interesting to see what they offer to keep Kevin Martin.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #390
Hound55

I don't know "about living off reputation". The game's shifted somewhat and the current contenders don't have legit post presences anymore so his value decreases because that's really what he's out there for.

Against the Grizzlies, against the Spurs he still has a worth. But the Lakers have stunk so that's a third post team gone, and the teams who don't have a legit post option he becomes a liability because of how limited he is. He really should be a sliding starting option depending on what team they're playing. Because against say Miami, he's only going to be a negative presence and they'd be better served going with just Ibaka.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #391
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I don't buy into that "he was too expensive to keep around" excuse. Oklahoma City could've retained Harden by restructuring his contract and moving other pieces if they were serious in keeping him. To the front office though, it seems as if it was too much work and decided to just trade him away.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #392
Hound55

He wanted a Max contract. That's what he wanted. Yes, they could have done things to keep him around, but they would have been screwing themselves in the progress and it would have hurt them depth-wise.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #393
Hound55

It's like saying the Knicks could have done more to keep Jeremy Lin around... well, yeah. They could've. But what they would have had to do it wouldn't have been worth it.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #394
Mister J
El Jefe en Púrpura
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't know "about living off reputation". The game's shifted somewhat and the current contenders don't have legit post presences anymore so his value decreases because that's really what he's out there for.

Against the Grizzlies, against the Spurs he still has a worth. But the Lakers have stunk so that's a third post team gone, and the teams who don't have a legit post option he becomes a liability because of how limited he is.
To me, Perkins has gotten the benefit of that championship luster. Be a marginal part of a title team and people start to overrate exactly what you bring to the table. In Boston, he was thought of as a tough-minded big who could defend his space, be solid on the boards and finish close to the rim. After the trade, I'm reading reports that Durant is asking him what it takes to be a champion. They're paying (and playing) him like he's the missing link and that makes me giggle. I don't giggle lightly.
Quote:
He really should be a sliding starting option depending on what team they're playing. Because against say Miami, he's only going to be a negative presence and they'd be better served going with just Ibaka.
That about nails it, but don't say it too loudly. Scott Brooks might hear you.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #395
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
It's like saying the Knicks could have done more to keep Jeremy Lin around... well, yeah. They could've. But what they would have had to do it wouldn't have been worth it.
Oh, you would bring that up wouldn't you!?

"Lets all take a moment to laugh at the Miami Heat.

HAHAHAHA."-ESPN poster James Slattery
Old 02-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #396
Hound55

Marginal is up for debate though... I mean he was the best post defender on a defensive-minded team which had Kevin Garnett.

He was legitimately one of the best big post defenders in recent years, that just means a lot less than it used to because Stern has successfully taken the game away from there.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #397
Hound55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
Oh, you would bring that up wouldn't you!?
Well it's true, isn't it..?

Or do you think he'd have been worth what he was asking for?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #398
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Well it's true, isn't it..?

Or do you think he'd have been worth what he was asking for?
Oh It's true. I just don't want to talk about the Knicks right now with Lin in the same sentence. Knicks are falling and Houston has been kind of steady thanks to Harden and Parsons but Lin fanatics seem to think its because of him. So whenever the Knicks fall, the first thing people say is they should have kept Lin. Particularly those of Asian descent. I know it sounds racist but ANYONE in the NYC area knows what I'm talking about. They are killing Felton and saying we should have kept Lin but I think It's more to the story than appears.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #399
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
Oh It's true. I just don't want to talk about the Knicks right now with Lin in the same sentence. Knicks are falling and Houston has been kind of steady thanks to Harden and Parsons but Lin fanatics seem to think its because of him. So whenever the Knicks fall, the first thing people say is they should have kept Lin. Particularly those of Asian descent. I know it sounds racist but ANYONE in the NYC area knows what I'm talking about. They are killing Felton and saying we should have kept Lin but I think It's more to the story than appears.
I know what you mean. I'll admit, I wasn't too fond of Felton early on, but that's mostly because I'm a Jason Kidd fan so I thought he should be calling the shots at point more. But once Felton got hurt and the Knicks started to slide a bit, I realized just how important he was because he did open the floor a lot more not just for Melo but also for Chandler. But at no point have I felt that Lin would've been better, mainly because he wasn't really a traditional point guard. He would have caused more turnovers by trying to score as opposed to trying to pass.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #400
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I know what you mean. I'll admit, I wasn't too fond of Felton early on, but that's mostly because I'm a Jason Kidd fan so I thought he should be calling the shots at point more. But once Felton got hurt and the Knicks started to slide a bit, I realized just how important he was because he did open the floor a lot more not just for Melo but also for Chandler. But at no point have I felt that Lin would've been better, mainly because he wasn't really a traditional point guard. He would have caused more turnovers by trying to score as opposed to trying to pass.
I also don't think Felton is 100% but rushed back we were falling. I think Lin would have been ok IF Kidd could have trained him like the plan was and he was cheaper but not with that ridiculous contract.

Closed Thread