The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #951
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Default Re: 2012/2013 NBA thread: This thread is POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lebron is even amazing when they lose...

32 pts
7 rebounds
3 assists
2 steals
4 blocks
.647 shooting

That guy makes the NBA worth watching all by himself.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #952
JaD
Thriller Night

Man, that Lakers record will never even get touched. But oh well, awesome run and was great to see. Glad I was able to enjoy it.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #953
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Exactly, it's so obvious he's still the same douchebag, but because he's winning nobody cares.
Nothing new there. Bird and Jordan were douches too.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #954
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yuck it up. This was the highlight of your season. We're still winning the championship.
We shall see.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #955
Mister J
El Jefe de Púrpura
SHH! Global Moderator

****ty starts and general not giving a **** finally caught up with Miami. Eh, would have been nice for it to continue.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #956
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
Nothing new there. Bird and Jordan were douches too.
Yeah, they were. All great basketball players are d-bags. Basketball, more than any other team game, is a game where one player....just one can completely change a game. There is an "I," in "team," in basketball. So these kids, from the day they play pee-wee and high school hoops are being told how great they are, how they are stars, how they make the team, etc. You'll have that with any great player, but in basketball, because one player can make or break a team, the greats are especially pandered to by those around them. It breeds douchery.

Buuuuuuut, Jordan and Larry Legend didn't do it in the era of ESPN. They didn't demand an hour long special to say where they are "taking their talents." They didn't have their birthday parties sponsored. They didn't need to collude with two other stars to go to another team and win a championship. When they lost a big game they never said in their press conferences how haters are gonna hate and their lives are still great and ours suck.

Would that happen today, if Bird or Jordan lived in the ESPN era? Maybe. But they don't. LeBron does. And that is why LeBron has become the poster boy for everything wrong with a professional basketball player, hell a professional athlete, in the ESPN era.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #957
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
****ty starts and general not giving a **** finally caught up with Miami. Eh, would have been nice for it to continue.
Have to agree here. They were asking for this. They got way too complacent.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #958
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
We shall see.
I think we shall... So many things have to happen just for the Heat to be in a position to possibly be only favourites to win a series and not unbackable favourites to win. There's maybe three or four other teams in the league who might even have the capacity to beat them in a 7 game series, and they might see maybe two of them, three at most.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #959
Hound55

Quote:
And that is why LeBron has become the poster boy for everything wrong with a professional basketball player, hell a professional athlete, in the ESPN era.
Whilst simultaneously being probably the best athlete of the ESPN era.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #960
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, they were. All great basketball players are d-bags. Basketball, more than any other team game, is a game where one player....just one can completely change a game. There is an "I," in "team," in basketball. So these kids, from the day they play pee-wee and high school hoops are being told how great they are, how they are stars, how they make the team, etc. You'll have that with any great player, but in basketball, because one player can make or break a team, the greats are especially pandered to by those around them. It breeds douchery.

Buuuuuuut, Jordan and Larry Legend didn't do it in the era of ESPN. They didn't demand an hour long special to say where they are "taking their talents." They didn't have their birthday parties sponsored. They didn't need to collude with two other stars to go to another team and win a championship. When they lost a big game they never said in their press conferences how haters are gonna hate and their lives are still great and ours suck.

Would that happen today, if Bird or Jordan lived in the ESPN era? Maybe. But they don't. LeBron does. And that is why LeBron has become the poster boy for everything wrong with a professional basketball player, hell a professional athlete, in the ESPN era.
So you're mad because Lebron is social? lol.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #961
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt

I'm betting ESPN called up Lebron for that special. I doubt many young men would turn that down.

And of course Bird and Jordan never had to leave their teams because their teams gave them some help. Most people don't remember that MJ was fed up with the Bulls in '91 and said they didn't know how to surround him with talent. Interesting because they went on to win their first championship that year. (A preview of MJ's lack of talent evaluation skills?) If they had never gotten Pippen, Grant, or Phil Jackson does anyone think MJ would have just stayed in Chicago and never had a chance at a title? I think it was Bird that criticized Lebron for leaving...frankly that's easy for him to say. He had to carry the Celtics alone for exactly one year (and did a great job...getting them to the ECF).

All the greats who won multiple championships "colluded with other stars". MJ certainly didn't get close without Pippen, Grant, and especially Jackson. Bird had McHale and Parrish. Even Magic had an older Kareem. I don't see how it's different when a GM gives a guy some stars to play with. Lebron had to play GM because Cleveland couldn't.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #962
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
That may be true. I've never seen anyone like that guy. He's ridiculous.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #963
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think we shall... So many things have to happen just for the Heat to be in a position to possibly be only favourites to win a series and not unbackable favourites to win. There's maybe three or four other teams in the league who might even have the capacity to beat them in a 7 game series, and they might see maybe two of them, three at most.
Maybe so, but stranger things have happened. I dunno....everyone has just taken for granted that the Heat will win the championship. I can't shake the feeling that another team might come out of no where and win it all. Feels like it might be one of those years.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe. I'd give the edge to Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and maybe Sid Crosby. I'm not one to compare athletes of different sports...but in terms of the major four, these four men have defined their sports for the ESPN era. Crosby is undeniably the best hockey player of his generation. Brady/Manning...undeniably the best quarterbacks (which is the most visible position) and LeBron is no doubt the best basketball player of his generation...MAYBE since Jordan (Kobe may have something to say on that matter). Interestingly, there really hasn't been a singular baseball player that really defines the ESPN era (maybe Jose Canseco, but for all the wrong reasons ).

But I digress, no one questions LeBron's talent. I think it is his personality/handling of being the face of his sport that people take issue with. Compare Peyton Manning's behavior to LeBron James's. Hell, just compare how they went about switching teams. 'Nuff said, really.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #964
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Maybe so, but stranger things have happened. I dunno....everyone has just taken for granted that the Heat will win the championship. I can't shake the feeling that another team might come out of no where and win it all. Feels like it might be one of those years.

Hmm, maybe. I'd give the edge to Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and maybe Sid Crosby. I'm not one to compare athletes of different sports...but in terms of the major four, these four men have defined their sports for the ESPN era. Crosby is undeniably the best hockey player of his generation. Brady/Manning...undeniably the best quarterbacks (which is the most visible position) and LeBron is no doubt the best basketball player of his generation...MAYBE since Jordan (Kobe may have something to say on that matter). Interestingly, there really hasn't been a singular baseball player that really defines the ESPN era (maybe Jose Canseco, but for all the wrong reasons ).

But I digress, no one questions LeBron's talent. I think it is his personality/handling of being the face of his sport that people take issue with. Compare Peyton Manning's behavior to LeBron James's. Hell, just compare how they went about switching teams. 'Nuff said, really.
Sounds like Pittsburgh bias to me.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #965
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
Agreed.

I'm betting ESPN called up Lebron for that special. I doubt many young men would turn that down.
That doesn't change the fact that it was a special kind of douchebaggery.

Quote:
And of course Bird and Jordan never had to leave their teams because their teams gave them some help. Most people don't remember that MJ was fed up with the Bulls in '91 and said they didn't know how to surround him with talent. Interesting because they went on to win their first championship that year. (A preview of MJ's lack of talent evaluation skills?) If they had never gotten Pippen, Grant, or Phil Jackson does anyone think MJ would have just stayed in Chicago and never had a chance at a title? I think it was Bird that criticized Lebron for leaving...frankly that's easy for him to say. He had to carry the Celtics alone for exactly one year (and did a great job...getting them to the ECF).

All the greats who won multiple championships "colluded with other stars". MJ certainly didn't get close without Pippen, Grant, and especially Jackson. Bird had McHale and Parrish. Even Magic had an older Kareem. I don't see how it's different when a GM gives a guy some stars to play with. Lebron had to play GM because Cleveland couldn't.
But again, that isn't really the point. Just because they didn't have to, doesn't change the fact that LeBron did. That was kind of the point of my post. And he certainly hasn't taken many steps to rehab his image since, has he?

Again, I compare LeBron to Peyton Manning. Both are the face of their sports. One shows how to do it with absolute class and dignity. The other is LeBron James. I'm not saying that other players aren't pricks. I'm not saying that it is fair to LeBron to be the first face of basketball in the ESPN/social media era. But it is what it is, and he hasn't exactly risen to the occasion.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #966
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Sounds like Pittsburgh bias to me.
Maybe. But in terms of pure talent and skill, I don't think there is another hockey player of this generation who can compare to Crosby (except maybe Malkin....I kid, I kid ).

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #967
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Quote:
You really shouldn't bet that, cause you'd lose. Lebron bought the hour from ESPN, and stacked it with vitamin water and unniversity of phoenix commercials. That's why Jim Gray who didn't work at ESPN did the interview

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #968
Hound55

Kobe can say whatever the f*** he wants, 'cos I don't think there's any maybes about it.

His edge has been that his body's held up longer, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett were both better as well before their bodies crapped out on them.

Sidney Crosby was the only other one I was thinking of as a "maybe". There's Richie McCaw, but rugby is prett irrelevant from ESPN. Possibly Floyd Mayweather, but boxing's been handicapped in that regard ever since the heavyweight division fell off because the larger public stops caring when the big guys aren't punching.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #969
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Kobe can say whatever the f*** he wants, 'cos I don't think there's any maybes about it.

His edge has been that his body's held up longer, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett were both better as well before their bodies crapped out on them.
Bold words.

Quote:
Sidney Crosby was the only other one I was thinking of as a "maybe". There's Richie McCaw, but rugby is prett irrelevant from ESPN. Possibly Floyd Mayweather, but boxing's been handicapped in that regard ever since the heavyweight division fell off because the larger public stops caring when the big guys aren't punching.
I think it is unfair to really compare athletes from other sports in terms of athletic skills. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady changed the game of football. They revolutionized it into a quarterback driven game. They changed it in a way LeBron could not even begin to change basketball. That said, LeBron would kick their ass in a game of one on one. But he would never be able to throw a football with the strength or accuracy of Tim Tebow much less Peyton Manning.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #970
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

BTW, I've not really followed Brooklyn or Portland. Is Brooklyn this good or is Portland just this bad?

Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #971
Hound55

You could say that same thing about Dan Marino or Joe Montana before though.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #972
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
You could say that same thing about Dan Marino or Joe Montana before though.
And you could say the same about Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, etc before LeBron. Besides, neither changed it like Peyton.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #973
Hound55

Quote:
BTW, I've not really followed Brooklyn or Portland. Is Brooklyn this good or is Portland just this bad?
Brooklyn's been pretty up and down all year and Portland seems to be having a bad one. When Reggie Evans is doing his job Brooklyn's generally looked pretty good throughout the year though, and for Portland Damian Lillard has been a complete non-factor which is pretty unusual for him; even as a rookie.

He's only had one single digits game in each month, generally he's pretty rock solid.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #974
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

The book has been out on the Heat, what happened tonight was nothing special or out of the ordinary. It's what should happen almost every night.

They get away with playing Battier at PF and Bosh at C waaaaaay more than they should. But for whatever reason, Eastern Conference Bigs aren't aggressive enough to really make them pay in a 7 game series. Roy Hibbert and Carlos Boozer might not be guys you can just dump the ball to expecting instant offense, but they should be able to score at a decent clip, on top of rebounding. Guess we'll see if they get the memo in the coming weeks....

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #975
Hound55

I don't think Thibbs got enough credit for that game either. Let's be serious here. The Bulls weren't exactly coming in with the best form or a complete team and he put them in a position to take a win.

Closed Thread