The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
That sounded awesome until you mentioned the two leads. Ugh.
:o
I had the same reaction.But hey they cld suprise us right???right???

Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
fake
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

A reminder - David Goyer is doing an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit in 3 hours time. Although it is doubtful that he will drop any info about MoS, it may be worth it to follow the conversation thread.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Ask him about JLA, and if he would ever consider writing a Green Lantern film or a Flash film featuring Barry Allen as the lead (hopefully). I don't know how to use reddit.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

How do fans feel about the possibility that Krypton gets destroyed in a Civil War instead of blowing up naturally ? (or, getting destroyed because their Sun - Rao went Supernova ?)

Does it count as significant alteration of mythos ? would that cause backlash ?

*\S/T*
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
How do fans feel about the possibility that Krypton gets destroyed in a Civil War instead of blowing up naturally ? (or, getting destroyed because their Sun - Rao went Supernova ?)

Does it count as significant alteration of mythos ? would that cause backlash ?
I don't think so. As long as the effect of "kid has no planet left, he grows up on Earth with powers" is achieved, I don't think it matters how it happens. Plus, a civil war lends itself to AKSHUN! No one's gonna complain after they see those great-looking Kryptonian battles (I assume).

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Which would mean the whole setup starting from Jor El's warnings about such a natural disaster waiting to happen and the Council choosing to ignore his warnings would be omitted from the movie.

*\S/T*
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Kevin Smith
Banned User

I think Jor El will still try and warn them of the natural disaster coming. Maybe they'll be too occupied with war though to pay attention...?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Yeah I hated Cloud Atlas with a passion.

The Wind Rises - 9/10 Godzilla - 9/10 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10 Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10 22 Jump Street 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10 Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7.5/10 Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Which would mean the whole setup starting from Jor El's warnings about such a natural disaster waiting to happen and the Council choosing to ignore his warnings would be omitted from the movie.
Maybe. But in the grand scheme of things relating to a Superman origin movie, it's not such a HUGE loss, relatively.

Jor-El's wisdom vs. Krypton's foolishness could still be featured, though, as perhaps suggested here:

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I loved it. But it ain't for everyone that's for sure.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

The film itself was ok but I admire their ambition to make a movie with that level of story telling. It was incredible how they pulled it off.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

You Know, the story for Jupiter Ascending sounds a bit like The Fifth Element to me .
Not as original as it might sound at first glance .

Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
Maybe. But in the grand scheme of things relating to a Superman origin movie, it's not such a HUGE loss, relatively.

Jor-El's wisdom vs. Krypton's foolishness could still be featured, though, as perhaps suggested here:

maybe in this scene, Jor-El is brought before the council to explain the circumstances around his son's natural conception.

and maybe this is where he gives the "What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended. What if a child aspired to something greater" speech.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I didn't hate Atlas but it's firmly in bad movie territory in my opinion. I'd never watch it again, ever.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Nice Guess.
I like it .

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
hate is such a strong word for such a big creative risk. i understand when someone hates comicbook movies. those are expensive movies done by the numbers. i understand when you are a fan of a book.

but what they did couldnt be done by noone else. even if you dont like it you have to respect the balls that they had(plus Tykwer) to do it.

and to quote Pa Kent. '' the world is not ready for a Wachowski comicbook movie''

Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Loved cloud atlas. Just like I will MOS

Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
I loved it. But it ain't for everyone that's for sure.
The reason why the book worked so well for me is because of the narration, you could see what each character felt and they were all so human despite their weird circumstances, it gave the reader something to hold on to, something to relate to. I also love the theme of the book how in order to move forward as a person or as a civilization you always need to screw someone over, which explained the constant cycle of oppression and revolution, but if you don't have something to hold on to, the plot becomes ponderous and peachy.

The film didn't have that narration or "stream of consciousness", so you're just left with cold plot.

Then again I did see it once and saw only a boring long mess...maybe I just need to watch it again with lowered expectations.

The Wind Rises - 9/10 Godzilla - 9/10 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10 Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10 22 Jump Street 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10 Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7.5/10 Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10
Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I didn't hate Atlas but it's firmly in bad movie territory in my opinion. I'd never watch it again, ever.
I am just afraid if I watched, I would be too distracted by the cast members playing different characters .
And I understand Heavy Makeup was involved, I would notice that.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
hate is such a strong word for such a big creative risk. i understand when someone hates comicbook movies. those are expensive movies done by the numbers. i understand when you are a fan of a book.

but what they did couldnt be done by noone else. even if you dont like it you have to respect the balls that they had(plus Tykwer) to do it.

and to quote Pa Kent. '' the world is not ready for a Wachowski comicbook movie''
The closest we have come so far is The Matrix Trilogy .
After all Neo was "doing his Superman thing".

Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #23
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post

Sorry but that is B.S. I don't have to respect any movie because of it's so called ambitions. I can't watch good intentions. I have zero respect for Cloud Atlas and find the movie to be just as pathetic as any film that I dislike regardless of genre. I don't hate it because it doesn't deserve my hate but I do find it laughably bad.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
maybe in this scene, Jor-El is brought before the council to explain the circumstances around his son's natural conception.

and maybe this is where he gives the "What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended. What if a child aspired to something greater" speech.
All these theories are making the destruction of Krypton sound irrelevant, like it's only included to stay true to the mythos and doesn't have any real bearing on the plot and isn't the reason Kal-El is sent to Earth. And we know now that Krypton is destroyed in a natural disaster, according to Empire.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
All these theories are making the destruction of Krypton sound irrelevant, like it's only included to stay true to the mythos and doesn't have any real bearing on the plot and isn't the reason Kal-El is sent to Earth. And we know now that Krypton is destroyed in a natural disaster, according to Empire.
No, I think they are destroying Krypton so Kal-El is "alone", outside of Zod and co. Far from irrelevant.