Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #301
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I don't expect another timeless anthem, nor do I want one. You really cannot outdo J-Will at his own game.

See The Amazing Spider-Man for an example of a traditional superhero jingle in a film that's trying to be a modern re-imagining. I like Horner's theme, but I'm still not entirely sure it works. That theme sounds more like a Superman theme than a Spider-Man theme IMO. Yet, I wouldn't want to hear anything like that in Man of Steel. What I heard in the trailer seems way more on track for what I'm hoping for.

I'd much prefer something stirring that's able to accomplish that with just good, effective chord changes, simple melodies and powerful percussion than something super hummable and identifiable. I want to feel inspired and pumped up, not "gee whiz it's Superman!". That's why I'm glad Zimmer got the job. I know this post will make certain people sick to their stomach, but that's really how I feel.

But the trailer music definitely had an identifiable rhythm/gallop to it.
It's almost unavoidable, but we need to leave the Williams comparisons at the door, and perhaps be open to the music not 'standing out' as it has in the past. He also does a lot of undercurrent-like scoring (maybe too much in the sound-design realm for some) so that might be an approach taken moreso than a fanfare/thematic type. I'm looking first and foremost to judge it as how it works in tandem with the picture, and what it adds in terms of a unique flavor. If it doesn't have the sort of thematic resonance as the Williams stuff or the like, I won't be disappointed if the combination of everything is doing its own thing differently than what we've seen before. And I think there's a good chance for that...and personally glad that they aren't redoing any Williams stuff.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #302
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
And I didn't suggest they were. I just pointed out that they're prone to error...like in the LA Times example in the article.

What I'm thinking is more along the lines of this. The Hpost asks WB if the music in the MOS trailer is Zimmer's. WB confirms that yes, that music is Zimmer's.

Now, from that, the Hpost concludes that the trailer music is music from MOS, but notice that the Hpost never asked if it was, and WB never said that it was. "Zimmer's music" doesn't automatically mean "Zimmer's MOS music". Honest mistake.
Then what is it, if not Zimmer's Man of Steel music? What other movie is it from?

I'd be willing to bet money this is Man of Steel music. Maybe not a final mix or even a specific arrangement used in the film, but certainly themes that are going to be in the movie.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #303
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Then what is it, if not Zimmer's Man of Steel music? What other movie is it from?

I'd be willing to bet money this is Man of Steel music. Maybe not a final mix or even a specific arrangement used in the film, but certainly themes that are going to be in the movie.
That's where I am, too. I was just pointing out how I could still be wrong.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #304
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Yeah, as we mentioned before, maybe just a piece of a build-up section of the score. A lot of times when editing a trailer, you pick a piece of music and almost cut specifically cut to it....as it has its own natural momentum and stings and breaks and shifts, etc. If they even had access to it, a different part of the score that has more explosive impact may not have fit their timeline and material as well as a whole...even if it is more of a musical 'payoff', this music could have worked better overall for their 2:30 to 3:00 piece.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #305
Astrodust
Side-Kick

The music sounds like a finale to me. I like the uplifting tone and feel it was needed for this trailer. I'm sure there's lots more good stuff.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #306
jasvll
Side-Kick

Plus, everyone involved KNOWS what the expectations/fears are surrounding the score. If WB did decide to put the main theme (assuming there is one) in the trailer...they wouldn't leave it to speculation...there'd be press releases and a performance from Zimmer on piano backed by Johnny Marr, the ghosts of Keith Moon and John Bonham, with a somersaulting Joseph Gordon Levitt on triangle.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #307
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Plus, everyone involved KNOWS what the expectations/fears are surrounding the score. If WB did decide to put the main theme (assuming there is one) in the trailer...they wouldn't leave it to speculation...there'd be press releases and a performance from Zimmer on piano backed by Johnny Marr, the ghosts of Keith Moon and John Bonham, with a somersaulting Joseph Gordon Levitt on triangle.
Bon Scott on vocals.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #308
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

TDKR trailers featured music from Zimmer that wasn't in the movie itself. It's way too early to tell if this is THEE theme. I wonder when we'll get the samples from the OST...

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #309
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Bon Scott on vocals.
Spoiler alert: Zod's on the Highway to Kal El.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #310
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's what I said...once the intention is realized, then it's a matter of preference. But even though certain things are used often like effects, they can still inherently not be consistent with the source or setting. Again, not a value judgment in and of itself.

I didn't say too synthy, I said rather synthy...in that it's there (but not heavy) as opposed to not there. Also objective.

I'm not condescending at all, stop being so oversensitive. I even said I liked the example I was referring to. It's just a discussion on technique and terminology, and I thought a pretty good one until you made it clear you're being a baby about it. If that's how you want to be, then cheers. YOU need to chill out and hit your reset button.

'kay?
ultimately, your constant nagging on zimmer certainly made it come across that way, but hell, either way we seem to be agreeing, so no hard feelings. I just thought it was interesting that you seemed to like a cue, then only upon realizing it was zimmer's work did you start finding faults in the arrangement - which to me points more towards your bias against zimmer than to his actual sonic use of the textures he chooses.

Last edited by TheBat812; 04-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #311
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I just thought it was interesting that you seemed to like a cue, then only upon realizing it was zimmer's work did you start finding faults in the arrangement - which to me points more towards your bias against zimmer than to his actual sonic use of the textures he chooses.
No you misread that....I was surprised to find out it was him because it was a) from a while back, and b) not the kind of louder/epic score (*gasp*...was 'epic' insulting too?) that he's more known for...never mentioning anything in there as a fault. That's you projecting. And I pointed out that I still liked and used it for the purposes that I needed. Also mentioned the same about Howard Shore and Big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
ultimately, your constant nagging on zimmer certainly made it come across that way, but hell, either way we seem to be agreeing, so no hard feelings.
Ultimately and primarily, you misunderstood, plain and simple. And (shocker) you're overreacting about the 'nagging' part (I've also defended him), but that's irrelevant. Now hopefully it's cleared up, think a bit more next time. Ciao.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #312
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Spoiler alert: Zod's on the Highway to Kal El.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #313
jasvll
Side-Kick

Pretend like I photoshopped Zod and Superman into this:

Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #314
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
TDKR trailers featured music from Zimmer that wasn't in the movie itself. It's way too early to tell if this is THEE theme. I wonder when we'll get the samples from the OST...
Maybe at the end of May or sooner, hopefully. You do make a good point. The music may not necessarily be the finished article.

Quote:
Yeah, as we mentioned before, maybe just a piece of a build-up section of the score. A lot of times when editing a trailer, you pick a piece of music and almost cut specifically cut to it....as it has its own natural momentum and stings and breaks and shifts, etc. If they even had access to it, a different part of the score that has more explosive impact may not have fit their timeline and material as well as a whole...even if it is more of a musical 'payoff', this music could have worked better overall for their 2:30 to 3:00 piece.
And as KalMart said with regard to trailer music, you do get a sense, especially with what we see in the way of cuts, that the music may well have been made specifically to fit this trailer. In particular, the way the drums were used at certain points to emphasise bits of action. All in all, I think the music is great and I can't wait to hear more.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #315
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK010 View Post
Maybe at the end of May or sooner, hopefully. You do make a good point. The music may not necessarily be the finished article.

And as KalMart said with regard to trailer music, you do get a sense, especially with what we see in the way of cuts, that the music may well have been made specifically to fit this trailer. In particular, the way the drums were used at certain points to emphasise bits of action. All in all, I think the music is great and I can't wait to hear more.
Actually, what I meant was kinda' the other way around...in that the trailer was cut to the music. It often happens because a piece of music may already have its peaks and valleys etc. built-in, especially if you're going with one piece that stays in beat throughout. It can help make the job a bit easier by following a kind of 'energy path' with the timeline. So the editors could have taken a 3-minute chunk (or spliced parts) from a piece of the final score that may just be used for setup and not necessarily for big impacts of climaxes. Like ,for example, when we're introduced to Krypton or the FOS in STM...as opposed to the full fanfare when he saves the helicopter.

But either way, I agree that it was a nice choice and not your run-of-the-mill wham-bam canned elements.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #316
Fedor
Side-Kick

Ok, at first i was a bit underwhelmed if the score.

Now i have changed my mind. This will be the best that zimmer has ever made.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #317
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

The part that I like the most in the trailer is around 1:17 when there's a slight dissonant shift in the horns....as it breaks away from the more 'standard' major progression that's building up. I wish there was more of it as the piece climaxes...just to build up some chaos before the final hit and resuming the undercurrent for the end titles.

It did feel a bit 'commercial' to me at first...which made me wonder if it was taken from something else. We're still not certain, but either way, it's a nice thing to build on. 'Course, it could be something else and completely unlike what the real scoring is, which would make all this moot.

I remember with the Watchmen trailer, that musical choice was brilliant (Nine Inch Nails or something?), and I thought that would be the the more cryptic and ethereal vibe of the music. But it ended up being (what I felt) was some of the worst usage of classic rock that's been on film, and other music that I just don't remember.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #318
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

I had my doubts. I've loved Zimmer ever since Gladiator. He's a versatile and dynamic musician and totally understands what makes a great soundtrack......but I still had my doubts. I know he can create music that fits perfectly for period pieces such as Gladiator, Last Samurai, and Sherlock Holmes but he also has the ability to go other extremes with music for Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt and Inception....but I still had my doubts. Maybe because John William's Superman theme was so damn perfect that's hard to imagine what a modern and definitive Superman sound would be like.....but after hearing the music from the trailer even JUST ONCE, I got it. I had chills. I had that feeling of geeky ecstasy that I used to get whenever I heard the opening credits for Donner's Superman. It's intimate but also appeals to the masses. It's somber but also upbeat and hopeful. It's classic but also modern. It's grounded but also celestial. It's reminiscent of John Williams' theme but also gives this film an entirely new feel. It's everything I could want from a new Superman theme.

I had my doubts that Zimmer could fulfill my extremely high expectations, but after seeing the trailer once.....just once.......my doubts are no longer, and it's place I now have confidence. Thank you, Mr. Zimmer!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #319
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Warner Bros confirmed directly to inquiries that the music is indeed from Zimmer's score. Multiple news outlets are crediting the music as such, with some sourcing Warner Bros for that very information. That debate can stop.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #320
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Warner Bros confirmed directly to inquiries that the music is indeed from Zimmer's score. Multiple news outlets are crediting the music as such, with some sourcing Warner Bros for that very information. That debate can stop.
Well, just for funsies...WB confirmed that it's "Zimmer's music", right? Not that it's "Zimmer's MOS music".

Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #321
Super Kal
Side-Kick

now that i know that the music from te latest trailer is indeed from the movie... i gotta admit, i found myself almost jumping out of my seat getting lost in the music...

you know, listening to it right now, this might be just me, but, at around the 2 minute marker, what Zimmer did with the drums, it makes it feel as if Superman is a one-man football team, and the drums, the strings, and the horns are welcoming him onto the playing field.

so, all in all, i would say the music the Zimmer made suits exactly what Warner Bros is hoping for:
bringing Superman back onto the playing field, making him the #1 contender.

thats what I hear.

Last edited by Super Kal; 04-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #322
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
I had my doubts. I've loved Zimmer ever since Gladiator. He's a versatile and dynamic musician and totally understands what makes a great soundtrack......but I still had my doubts. I know he can create music that fits perfectly for period pieces such as Gladiator, Last Samurai, and Sherlock Holmes but he also has the ability to go other extremes with music for Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt and Inception....but I still had my doubts. Maybe because John William's Superman theme was so damn perfect that's hard to imagine what a modern and definitive Superman sound would be like.....but after hearing the music from the trailer even JUST ONCE, I got it. I had chills. I had that feeling of geeky ecstasy that I used to get whenever I heard the opening credits for Donner's Superman. It's intimate but also appeals to the masses. It's somber but also upbeat and hopeful. It's classic but also modern. It's grounded but also celestial. It's reminiscent of John Williams' theme but also gives this film an entirely new feel. It's everything I could want from a new Superman theme.

I had my doubts that Zimmer could fulfill my extremely high expectations, but after seeing the trailer once.....just once.......my doubts are no longer, and it's place I now have confidence. Thank you, Mr. Zimmer!
Totally agree with all you have said. Love this new theme. It gives me the chills also.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #323
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Well, just for funsies...WB confirmed that it's "Zimmer's music", right? Not that it's "Zimmer's MOS music".
no it's 100% Zimmer's MOS score. It probably won't sound exactly like that, if you listen to his work on the Batman Begins trailer, he uses a much more commercial sounding mix of Molossus. So I'm betting the final product will sound better.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #324
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
No doubt about it? Link? Just to be sure.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #325
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I'm on my iphone so I can't retrace some of my browsing history right now. I know that the Huffington Post article mentioned the fact. Also other articles via a Google news search for "man of steel."

Closed Thread