Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #326
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I'm on my iphone so I can't retrace some of my browsing history right now. I know that the Huffington Post article mentioned the fact. Also other articles via a Google news search for "man of steel."
Well...huffington post...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3097225.html

...credits the LA Times....
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...ods-attack/#/0

..which mentions that Zimmer is scoring the film, for those who don't know, but does not specify that the music IN THE TRAILER is Zimmer's MOS score. They may have just assumed.

Quote:
As a gorgeous orchestral music slowly crescendos (Hans Zimmer composed the film’s score), we see Lois Lane tracking down Clark, General Zod vowing to find him and, of course, Superman taking flight as Jor-El says in voice-over, “You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall, but in time they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.”
So I dunno, if that's what every news source is pointing to, it's it exactly a no-doubter.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #327
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Actually, what I meant was kinda' the other way around...in that the trailer was cut to the music. It often happens because a piece of music may already have its peaks and valleys etc. built-in, especially if you're going with one piece that stays in beat throughout. It can help make the job a bit easier by following a kind of 'energy path' with the timeline. So the editors could have taken a 3-minute chunk (or spliced parts) from a piece of the final score that may just be used for setup and not necessarily for big impacts of climaxes. Like ,for example, when we're introduced to Krypton or the FOS in STM...as opposed to the full fanfare when he saves the helicopter.

But either way, I agree that it was a nice choice and not your run-of-the-mill wham-bam canned elements.
I see. Guess it can be seen from either perspective but I think you're probably right with the trailer being cut to the music. I still think that perhaps the extra drum beats were added in there for extra effect. I could be wrong. Just something a little strange about them that I can't put my finger on, I don't know. Maybe because as you say, it's not run-of-the-mill and while it feels a little familiar in terms of the uplifting and heroic changes in the track, the drums really do make it sound quite unique at the same time.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #328
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK010 View Post
I see. Guess it can be seen from either perspective but I think you're probably right with the trailer being cut to the music. I still think that perhaps the extra drum beats were added in there for extra effect. I could be wrong. Just something a little strange about them that I can't put my finger on, I don't know. Maybe because as you say, it's not run-of-the-mill and while it feels a little familiar in terms of the uplifting and heroic changes in the track, the drums really do make it sound quite unique at the same time.
If they are the marching drums that they recorded live in that stadium...the thing is that with that sort of drumming, it has a very big sound, but the attack can be a bit soft and some of the fast passages a little 'fuzzy', because unless you have all 20-something drummers playing in absolute micro-sample sync, they're all going to be a teeny bit off. Times that by 10-20, and it can fuzz it out...exacerbated even more with reverb/ambience, be it the stadium's or added in pos, and/or micing it originally from a distance. It's almost like you'd rather do those drums digitally so you can control that razor-sharp attack on each combined hit. But then, that could be the sound he was after in that...something that does reflect real marching band drummers in parades or events and celebrations, perhaps more 'organic' than clinical, if you will.

It could maybe use some enhancement here and there or massaging it to make it a bit 'clearer', but it's kind of a nice choice if it has the sort of emotional, grass-roots effect that he may be after. Certainly different than the 'doomsday' percussion we hear in a lot of action movie stuff.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #329
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Quote:
If they are the marching drums that they recorded live in that stadium...the thing is that with that sort of drumming, it has a very big sound, but the attack can be a bit soft and some of the fast passages a little 'fuzzy', because unless you have all 20-something drummers playing in absolute micro-sample sync, they're all going to be a teeny bit off. Times that by 10-20, and it can fuzz it out...exacerbated even more with reverb/ambience, be it the stadium's or added in pos, and/or micing it originally from a distance. It's almost like you'd rather do those drums digitally so you can control that razor-sharp attack on each combined hit. But then, that could be the sound he was after in that...something that does reflect real marching band drummers in parades or events and celebrations, perhaps more 'organic' than clinical, if you will.

It could maybe use some enhancement here and there or massaging it to make it a bit 'clearer', but it's kind of a nice choice if it has the sort of emotional, grass-roots effect that he may be after. Certainly different than the 'doomsday' percussion we hear in a lot of action movie stuff.

That all makes sense. Very intriguing to the point that I keep wanting to hear it over and over again. It certainly is different and it grows on you the more you listen to it. Looks like Zimmer has pulled out all the stops with this one. Not easy to be the guy coming after John Williams. It was best to go with something completely original and perhaps experiment with less commonly used instruments and techniques in order to get a unique sound. Just look what he did with the Joker's theme in The Dark Knight as a prime example.

You sure know your stuff KalMart. Would it be a stretch to say you work in sound or music production in some capacity?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #330
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

The other thing is that unless each drum is the exact equal distance from the mic(s), you'll get little issues because of the speed of sound travel that may come into play if you're micing from a distance. But that's not a bad thing...it feels 'real', and again there's something grass-roots about it that he may be going for.

Kinda' reminds me some of his stuff from Black Hawk Down...about 1:58 in...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Would it be a stretch to say you work in sound or music production in some capacity?
Gracias, yeah I'm a film editor, sound designer, post-production supervisor and sometimes music editor, so I deal with these things a lot. And yeah, the Joker's 'theme' was another good example of him doing something that was pretty unexpected, which can be a valuable thing to work off of.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #331
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

I'm really not feeling it i've watched the trailer like a million times and even though it's a commendable effort the only part of the music i liked was when Costner says "You are my son" and then we see an older Kal El walking somewhere strange and there's a little shift in the tones of music there that's the only bit I thought ok cool that's cool.

But the rest is just progressive and keeps going to climax like TDK style, I just feel a but underwhelmed by it. Would have liked some sort of Fanfare too just to set in stone the significance of the Character, this is the God of Superheroes let's give him the audacious theme he deserves.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #332
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmangambit View Post
I'm really not feeling it i've watched the trailer like a million times and even though it's a commendable effort the only part of the music i liked was when Costner says "You are my son" and then we see an older Kal El walking somewhere strange and there's a little shift in the tones of music there that's the only bit I thought ok cool that's cool.

But the rest is just progressive and keeps going to climax like TDK style, I just feel a but underwhelmed by it. Would have liked some sort of Fanfare too just to set in stone the significance of the Character, this is the God of Superheroes let's give him the audacious theme he deserves.
Did you watch it on a good sound system? Remember also that it could just be a less 'fanfare-ish' section of a bigger score for amore biuld-y scene, and not necessarily a big fight or the like. To give the trailer more of a 'this is just a taste', rather than really spilling it all.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #333
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Quote:
Did you watch it on a good sound system? Remember also that it could just be a less 'fanfare-ish' section of a bigger score for amore biuld-y scene, and not necessarily a big fight or the like. To give the trailer more of a 'this is just a taste', rather than really spilling it all.
Actually yea I didn't think of that, if it is part of a bigger score then it could be cool, I just hope it's not the main theme.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #334
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmangambit View Post
Actually yea I didn't think of that, if it is part of a bigger score then it could be cool, I just hope it's not the main theme.
Probably not...if it is actually the Zimmer MOS score which it looks like hasn't been definitively confirmed...yet....

Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #335
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

I thought the music for the new trailer was great. I hope it is from Zimmer's score. When Superman takes off flying and the score really kicks in, I was sold. Buying this score for sure when it comes on sale.

Last edited by GregComicFan; 04-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #336
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Quote:
Gracias, yeah I'm a film editor, sound designer, post-production supervisor and sometimes music editor, so I deal with these things a lot. And yeah, the Joker's 'theme' was another good example of him doing something that was pretty unexpected, which can be a valuable thing to work off of.
I thought as much. I'm trying to get into post production myself, specifically video editing. Need to start building a portfolio. Maybe even do some stuff with the Man Of Steel footage. You're a pretty knowledgable guy or girl (for the sake of not inadvertently discriminating), is there any advice or tips you can give me? From one Superman fan to another...

Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #337
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

I was wondering if maybe the trailer music has been implicitly confirmed as part of Zimmer's score? I mean with trailers, these boards are usually really quick at figuring out where the music has come from. The fact that the music's origin is still up in the air suggests to me that it is new. Thoughts?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #338
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Somebody make a recreation already...

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #339
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I was wondering if maybe the trailer music has been implicitly confirmed as part of Zimmer's score? I mean with trailers, these boards are usually really quick at figuring out where the music has come from. The fact that the music's origin is still up in the air suggests to me that it is new. Thoughts?
Without a doubt it's Zimmer's score for the movie.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #340
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I don't get why people are still doubting this? Huffington Post literally said they verified it with WB directly.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 04-17-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #341
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

All I'll say is this... it's growing on me. I think it'll fit well into the final film. I do hope there is a more central and easily definable Superman theme though.

Free Original Music
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #342
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I thought as much. I'm trying to get into post production myself, specifically video editing. Need to start building a portfolio. Maybe even do some stuff with the Man Of Steel footage. You're a pretty knowledgable guy or girl (for the sake of not inadvertently discriminating), is there any advice or tips you can give me? From one Superman fan to another...
Y'know, I started in film way back when a lot of this technology was kinda' new, so I sort of grew with tends in technology and such, so it can be a bit hard to for me to advise for 'today'. I would first say that learn the craft as well as you can, be it the technology or whatever, then try to maybe get a job where you spend time around production...be it TV or commercials or the such, where you can spend time as an assistant editor of the like and be around it as much as possible where you'll naturally absorb how not only it works, but how the whole workflow of production and post/delivery does. Then work your way up.

Try to maybe get some material together that looks professional, but don't be embarrassed to say that you don't have much material and you're looking to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I don't get why people are still doubting this? Huffington Post literally said they verified it with WB directly.
Didn't Huffington reference LA Times?

Quote:
Starring Henry Cavill as the title man of mettle and buoyed by a pulsing, driving musical score -- which, the Los Angeles Times notes, is a tease of the film's actual score by Oscar winner Hans Zimmer -- the "Man of Steel" presented in the newest trailer is epic. The clip combines aspects of the first teasers and trailers with a barrage of new footage: Superman fighting the military, Superman fighting General Zod (Michael Shannon), Superman being interrogated by Lois Lane (Amy Adams). There's even time for jokes, like when Lois asks Superman what the "s" on his costume stands for. Hint: It's not Superman.

which looks like an assumption, because the LA Times only said that Zimmer is the film's composer, but didn't specify the actual music in the trailer...

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...ods-attack/#/0
Quote:
As a gorgeous orchestral music slowly crescendos (Hans Zimmer composed the film’s score), we see Lois Lane tracking down Clark, General Zod vowing to find him and, of course, Superman taking flight as Jor-El says in voice-over, “You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall, but in time they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.”
..?

Or is there another Huffington one where they got a direct quote from a spokesman at WB? Because I don't see anything in either of those that directly quotes anything that confirms the actual music in the trailer is actual MOS score.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #343
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not only that but WB's record label, Watertower Records, confirmed via their FB and Twitter the music was from the score too and they'll be releasing details VERY soon about the OST.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #344
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Not only that but WB's record label, Watertower Records, confirmed via their FB and Twitter the music was from the score too and they'll be releasing details VERY soon about the OST.
Aha! If it's straight from the horse's mouth then voila!

Which is good because we wouldn't want to keep speculating on something that isn't confirmed.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #345
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

https://www.facebook.com/WaterTowerMusic

Quote:
Watertower Music shared a link. 11 hours ago

We think it's about time your heard some music from the Man of Steel Soundtrack... don't you? enjoy your first taste of it in the new trailer!! let us know what you think!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJc...KbUlVIzDYYWb6g
So Watertower handles what, the music/soundtrack distribution?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #346
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Zimmer's website says it's his...

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/

...if that's actually confirmed/authorized by him as opposed to a website assuming it.

Edit: does't look like that site is 'official'.

Has anyone actually bee quoted to confirm this directly? I think it is because of the marching band drums, but I would like to see it confirmed without a doubt.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #347
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/WaterTowerMusic

So Watertower handles what, the music/soundtrack distribution?
Thank god! Based on the flaws pointed out in the Huffington Post report, I was getting rather afraid that we were going to find out that it wasn't music from the movie just as I was coming to really love it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #348
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Thank god! Based on the flaws pointed out in the Huffington Post report, I was getting rather afraid that we were going to find out that it wasn't music from the movie just as I was coming to really love it.
I don't want to sound like a pain, but I'm not sure they're confirming that or just assuming it based on everyone else assuming it. I'm still searching for a direct quote or source from Zimmer himself or someone in the production. 'Cuz for all we know, anything said sop far could be going off of that Huffington thing.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #349
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Didn't Huffington reference LA Times?

which looks like an assumption, because the LA Times only said that Zimmer is the film's composer, but didn't specify the actual music in the trailer...
The earlier version of that story referenced the LA Times AND said "Warner Bros. confirmed to HuffPost Entertainment that it is Zimmer's work." You can see it quoted way back in the Open Discussion thread in a couple of places. Who knows why they edited it out since it's still proving true. Maybe out of courtesy to LA Times since they had the scoop first.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #350
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
The earlier version of that story referenced the LA Times AND said "Warner Bros. confirmed to HuffPost Entertainment that it is Zimmer's work." You can see it quoted way back in the Open Discussion thread in a couple of places. Who knows why they edited it out since it's still proving true. Maybe out of courtesy to LA Times since they had the scoop first.
But LA times doesn't say that, though....they never say that Zimmer did the music in the actual trailer. I mean, it looks like Huffington misquoted in the first place, no? Not that I'm doubting what you said about an 'earlier' version, but there's on trace of it on either of those links...so it may have been changed because they misquoted.

There's literally nothing else on the net now that confirms it more than these sources, which may be where everyone else is pointing to. I'm just trying to be sure.

Closed Thread