Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #601
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Now I'm really embarrassed, but I should've been clear in the beginning that I don't really follow bands from any music genre. I only got into Boingo a few years ago out of curiosity of Elfman's career before he became a composer. I was a little cautious at first, but I ended up liking most of their songs.
It kind of mirrors Elfman coming from something like Oingo Boingo. I particularly like Mothersbaugh's work in the Wes Anderson films.

Ever heard of The Police?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #602
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
@ EM,

It's not you disagreeing that I have an issue with. It's things like jumping in this thread right after the trailer debuted with remarks like, "Looks like the Zimmer worshipers are already overrating it" without having even seen the trailer that seems equally as over the top as any over the top praise that might be out there.

My thing is, I usually have an issue in general with people who go over the top in criticizing someone's work as a means of taking out their frustration on a given fanbase. It's not your opinions, nor you choosing to voice them that bothers me, it's the consistently confrontational tone. I read your post about the TDKR score, and actually do remember it from last summer. You're right, it's more of a rant than anything constructive. I loved TDKR's score. It found it to be the most stirring and emotionally powerful work of his Batman scores, and I still listen to it regularly. Does that make me a butt-kissing Zimmer drone that just happily lops up whatever I'm served? Do you see what I mean? If you're "offended" by someone simply overrating Zimmer as a composer, how am I supposed to feel as a Zimmer fan when you repeatedly bash not the man, but his fans? It just seems like an extremely pretentious position to take to me. That's why I think if you're not trying to pick a fight with Zimmer's fans, you are highly misguided in your efforts, generally speaking. Unless you think they're too dense to realize when they're being insulted. Which is then exponentially more insulting, at least to me.

If you take me up on my challenge, cool. I'm not expecting you to as I imagine those longer score analysis posts are very time consuming, and I don't blame you for not wanting to write at length about something you aren't passionate about. I personally hated Silvestri's Avengers scores. And I'm a fan of a lot of Silvestri's work, but man I thought that was cookie cutter, flat, dull, uninspired work that didn't do a single thing for me, and it actually knocked the entire film down a peg for me. But I don't talk about that incessantly, because I have no desire to. I think FlamingCoco hit the nail on the head when he said Zimmer is mainly a target because he's so prominent these days and gets a lot of praise. Perhaps deserved, perhaps not entirely deserved.

Ah well, the world keeps spinning I suppose.
I got ya. And I agree I can be confrontational at times, but so can some Zimmer fans who disagree with me. I'll try to change my tone with fans of Zimmer and his Batman scores in general.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #603
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

This is child's play, you should see what many think of Zimmer on Gears!utz (audio professionals forum).

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #604
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

GearS!utz is practically a battlefield! HZ actually cares enough to give advice to aspiring composers on that forum, and critics STILL pick him apart!

I vocally stated my criticisms, but I also referenced what I think shows how great he was and how good he can be. I liked some of the music from the Bible miniseries as well. I just want him to return to what made him so good, that's all. And that's my opinion. I don't think the TDK trilogy scores are bad, just straightforward. They don't have enough musical surprises for me. But I wouldn't insult people for thinking otherwise. It's their opinion after all.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #605
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
It kind of mirrors Elfman coming from something like Oingo Boingo. I particularly like Mothersbaugh's work in the Wes Anderson films.

Ever heard of The Police?
Like I said before I don't really follow bands from any music genre. I looked up "The Police" on YT (so I won't embarrass myself again)and have heard some of there songs before without realising it. For example, "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic". I remember hearing those songs a few times at my old job. I've probably heard "Every Breath You Take" from some movie. It's a random thing (be it from my job or on TV) where I heard a few songs from them but never paid attention to the band that performed it. Tbh, I'm not that familair with them. Sorry.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #606
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Like I said before I don't really follow bands from any music genre. I looked up "The Police" on YT (so I won't embarrass myself again)and have heard some of there songs before without realising it. For example, "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic". I remember hearing those songs a few times at my old job. I've probably heard "Every Breath You Take" from some movie. It's a random thing (be it from my job or on TV) where I heard a few songs from them but never paid attention to the band that performed it. Tbh, I'm not that familair with them. Sorry.
Don't be sorry, no reason. But you must be considerably younger than me because in my 'youth' it was virtually impossible not to know. unless you were intentionally secluded from the rest of the world. I'm that way when it comes to recent music...like anything post 1990-ish recent.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #607
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
I got ya. And I agree I can be confrontational at times, but so can some Zimmer fans who disagree with me. I'll try to change my tone with fans of Zimmer and his Batman scores in general.
Cool. Thank you for hearing me out. I respect your opinion, so know that going forward even as we have some inevitable disagreements.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #608
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't be sorry, no reason. But you must be considerably younger than me because in my 'youth' it was virtually impossible not to know. unless you were intentionally secluded from the rest of the world.
I'm in my late 20s so I'm not that young. You're probably right about me being secluded from the rest of the world when it came to the music anyways. It had nothing to do with the music though. Just never really been into any bands and such.

Quote:
I'm that way when it comes to recent music...like anything post 1990-ish recent.
I don't blame you.

Quote:
Cool. Thank you for hearing me out. I respect your opinion, so know that going forward even as we have some inevitable disagreements.

Likewise.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #609
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
@ EM,

It's not you disagreeing that I have an issue with. It's things like jumping in this thread right after the trailer debuted with remarks like, "Looks like the Zimmer worshipers are already overrating it" without having even seen the trailer that seems equally as over the top as any over the top praise that might be out there.

My thing is, I usually have an issue in general with people who go over the top in criticizing someone's work as a means of taking out their frustration on a given fanbase. It's not your opinions, nor you choosing to voice them that bothers me, it's the consistently confrontational tone. I read your post about the TDKR score, and actually do remember it from last summer. You're right, it's more of a rant than anything constructive. I loved TDKR's score. It found it to be the most stirring and emotionally powerful work of his Batman scores, and I still listen to it regularly. Does that make me a butt-kissing Zimmer drone that just happily lops up whatever I'm served? Do you see what I mean? If you're "offended" by someone simply overrating Zimmer as a composer, how am I supposed to feel as a Zimmer fan when you repeatedly bash not the man, but his fans? It just seems like an extremely pretentious position to take to me. That's why I think if you're not trying to pick a fight with Zimmer's fans, you are highly misguided in your efforts, generally speaking. Unless you think they're too dense to realize when they're being insulted. Which is then exponentially more insulting, at least to me.

If you take me up on my challenge, cool. I'm not expecting you to as I imagine those longer score analysis posts are very time consuming, and I don't blame you for not wanting to write at length about something you aren't passionate about. I personally hated Silvestri's Avengers scores. And I'm a fan of a lot of Silvestri's work, but man I thought that was cookie cutter, flat, dull, uninspired work that didn't do a single thing for me, and it actually knocked the entire film down a peg for me. But I don't talk about that incessantly, because I have no desire to. I think FlamingCoco hit the nail on the head when he said Zimmer is mainly a target because he's so prominent these days and gets a lot of praise. Perhaps deserved, perhaps not entirely deserved.

Ah well, the world keeps spinning I suppose.
Bravo. F**king bravo.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #610
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I am also a Silvestri fan and it felt like he phoned it in on Avengers, but to me he didn't have much to work with in that except to just keep the pace going.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #611
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I can't remember anything about The Avengers score.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #612
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm borderline trolling the Lounges and soundtrack threads of SHH, but I must agree with Excelsior, the IM3 soundtrack is amazing.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #613
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is child's play, you should see what many think of Zimmer on Gears!utz (audio professionals forum).
You should see what they think of ________.

They love to fight over there.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #614
super-t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Alright guys...

I decided to take a shot at doing a recreation of the trailer music. I'm more of a rock/guitar based musician, only recently dipping my toes into the world of orchestral composition and I thought this could be a fun little warm up project.

It's definitely not perfect and the best plugins in the world aren't going to give you the same effect as DAT drum circle. I just wanted to get it out there. Some feedback would definitely be greatly appreciated

https://soundcloud.com/downburdenche...sic-recreation

Y we can no download????????

Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #615
elgaz
Side-Kick

Zimmer has a job on his hands. I really love what he's done so far, but it's definitely a big job he has.

I was thinking about this recently; Williams' theme has to be one of the most iconic theme in the last 35 years in not just films, but anywhere. Play the Superman theme and people of all ages recognise it. I can't say that about many other film themes (bar maybe Star Wars or Back to The Future). With the benefit of time and huge exposure, it has become iconic and is fully ingrained in popular culture.

And whilst I'm no fan of Superman Returns, it [/i]did[/i] get seen by a lot of people and brought that famous theme back to the forefront again. It's still fresh in our minds.

Zimmer now has to compose a new theme which .......... like it or not, fair or unfair, will be perceived in one way or another as the follow-up to the Williams theme. The successor. It's not a situation like creating a score for Avengers, or Spiderman, or TDK. This is a piece of music which has to be totally unique and original, has to be majestic and uplifting to suit the character, and also has the added pressure of being seen as the replacement to one of the most famous themes of the modern age. It's a daunting task for anyone to take on, just like crafting an entirely new Superman film is also a somewhat daunting task. But that's why you have some of Hollywood's most creative people throwing their ideas at MOS; Snyder's amazing visual, Nolan's story work, a stellar cast, and so on. And sitting in a dark room somewhere is Zimmer, watching cuts of the film whilst trying to create sounds which will serve as a background to them cuts and hit us on an emotional level.

From what I've heard so far, I think he's nailed it.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #616
super-t
Side-Kick

I actually called this type of them about a year ago....I posted this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQUNPZpZk0

I...Am a musical genius.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #617
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

From the Zimmer facebook page, track from the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=NrH5YnJdvls

"An Ideal of Hope."

Edit, this may be some kind of fan edit.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #618
Super Kal
Side-Kick

it's the same edit that we've heard, and has been posted in this thread...

Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #619
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I'm borderline trolling the Lounges and soundtrack threads of SHH, but I must agree with Excelsior, the IM3 soundtrack is amazing.
Does IM even have a recurring theme? I dont remember anything from either of the first 2 movies.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #620
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-t View Post
I actually called this type of them about a year ago....I posted this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQUNPZpZk0

I...Am a musical genius.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'this type'.

Zimmer already wrote his '4 chord' theme, though:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #621
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Not quite sure what you mean by 'genius', either.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #622
super-t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by 'this type'.

Zimmer already wrote his '4 chord' theme, though:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
They dont sound a little similar??

Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #623
Jim-El
"My Son"

I'm listening to the last track of TDK of course titled "TDK." Amazing work by Zimmer/Howard.
I still have not grown tired of the trailer theme either.
I think the Superman soundtrack is in good hands.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #624
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Does IM even have a recurring theme? I dont remember anything from either of the first 2 movies.
No, he doesn't. Which is what makes the IM3 soundtrack stand out so much, because it finally gives IM the kind of strong, memorable theme that he should have had from the beginning. The production values of that score seem a little synthy and on the cheap side to me (I said on the IM boards it reminds me of the Kick-Ass and X-Men:FC scores, both which I still enjoy immensely), which keeps me from agreeing with his assessment of the score being "amazing," but that main theme is probably the most solid MCU theme there's been, as it's not only extremely catchy, but it also fits the character perfectly.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #625
~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~
A Thousand Days Before

For any drummers on these boards interested in the recording of Zimmer's drum part of "An Ideal of Hope", this blog by one of the drum techs is kind of neat:

Also describes how the idea to record it with ten kits came to being

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/20.../#.UXc124L4818