Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #901
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
They're simple. Name one complex theme that audiences remember.
Oh, I thought you were saying they were not as recognizable because they aren't complex. My mistake.

You think they are recognizable right?

Quote:
You really expect an audience to remember ambience and the sounds of floating through space? While a good start, and nobody's not saying it isn't, what is being said is it should be a lot more than that.
Except, I don't expect big Earth shattering themes which Clark is floating through space or he is having a quiet, tender moment with Pa Kent. There is a reason the Bond films dialed back using his main theme all the time. I expect the music to fit the scenes. Plenty of the samples are building to something.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #902
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
If you read what I wrote I didn't say that they were not recognizable. They're recognizable. They're simple. They're chord-progression. They're not ambience.
Sorry, I misread your post. You're right.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #903
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Ultimatehero doesn't think the Blade Runner soundtrack is anything to write home about. Too moody.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #904
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

They are recognizable, but they're simple. They contain a very easy chord progression to follow. And this chord progression is often found elsewhere but either with different instruments or a different tempo.

In the quiet moments, a loud theme shouldn't be there. In the action moments there should at least be hints back to it. That it's building up to something. And that's what I'm missing. I don't see that chord progression.

The one constant is the ambience from 'Man of Steel.' What I'm hoping for is that the theme was cut off from it and the rest of the tracks. But, if you preview the Indiana Jones soundtrack or Superman Returns soundtrack you can hear the however sometimes faint, sometimes not, you can still hear that simple chord progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Ultimatehero doesn't think the Blade Runner soundtrack is anything to write home about. Too moody.
Actually, I said I liked it. But if you were walking through Universal Studios for example and that was playing over the loudspeakers - chances are it would blend in and you wouldn't know where it's from, you would just think it sounds nice. And that's the thing. Audiences, for whatever reason, retain the simplistic rather than the complex.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #905
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
They are recognizable, but they're simple. They contain a very easy chord progression to follow. And this chord progression is often found elsewhere but either with different instruments or a different tempo.

In the quiet moments, a loud theme shouldn't be there. In the action moments there should at least be hints back to it. That it's building up to something. And that's what I'm missing. I don't see that chord progression.

The one constant is the ambience from 'Man of Steel.' What I'm hoping for is that the theme was cut off from it and the rest of the tracks. But, if you preview the Indiana Jones soundtrack or Superman Returns soundtrack you can hear the however sometimes faint, sometimes not, you can still hear that simple chord progression.
There is a clear combination of the drums with the music you find in "Look to the Stars"/"Man of Steel" at least once in the samples.

Just listen to "If You Love These People". Listen to "Ignition", "Tornado" and "Launch" for the changes in tempo and use of the music from the quieter moments differently.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #906
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

I dunno, the samples didn't really do anything for me. I'm excited to hear the whole thing though.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #907
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:

Actually, I said I liked it. But if you were walking through Universal Studios for example and that was playing over the loudspeakers - chances are it would blend in and you wouldn't know where it's from, you would just think it sounds nice. And that's the thing. Audiences, for whatever reason, retain the simplistic rather than the complex.
Being one of those members of the audience I recognize and appreciate great work. If I was walking through Disney World and heard any bit of Dario Marianelli P&P score, I'd notice. Same for Blade Runner.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #908
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Call me crazy, but I do get faint Broken Arrow vibes from the last track.
Finally, someone gets it!

(My first post about the trailer music way back when included a link to the Broken Arrow theme)

Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #909
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not from what I can tell unless it's not heard in those 30 second bits. They all sounded different from one another. It was great music, but nothing that if I heard it I'd instantly know it was Superman. I'm just hoping the theme is somewhere past what's in those clips. Because I really wanted something that if you heard it, you'd instantly recognize it.
lol

Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #910
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

The thing that sticks out about those tracks is the ambience. However, as said, 'Man of Steel' has the possibility (still hoping) that it builds to something.

The others have that connective tissue. What I'm hoping with there is that it really builds up to something. They sound more unified now and like all it needs is that pay off one or two note "trumpet" sound which seems like it might be there. Just listen to this from the 1:30 mark - which it reminds me of - now how they have a theme simply burst out of that. That would stand out. That they're giving the build-up and not just the trumpet. (Note: I give more credit to John Williams in the following because it's his notes that sound the trumpets). Basically just a punctuation mark, which it's sounding more like there probably is.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-30-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #911
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Being one of those members of the audience I recognize and appreciate great work. If I was walking through Disney World and heard any bit of Dario Marianelli P&P score. Same for Blade Runner.
That isn't really the masses though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
lol

Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #912
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
That isn't really the masses though.

And? Does it make the work any less stellar?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #913
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

To me? No. I like it. But, I'm not the masses. I write all day and listen to film scores a lot to set the mood. And I'm guessing you're a musician?

My thing is -- one that will be remembered in the same way the James Bond, Star Wars, Superman, etc. themes are. Not just that it sounds great. But, that it's instantly recognizable to everyone who hears it across generations. I will say it has the build-up going for it though that is easier to hear with those tracks together and hopefully there's a one to three note "trumpet" that will add the punctuation mark. And from there you have the theme (which is usually a build up and the punctuation mark). So at least now it sounds like it might be there and fears aside for the time being.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #914
X Knight
Saber Class

listened to a few of the samples.

has an ethereal, "otherwordly" tone to it.

can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #915
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
To me? No. I like it. But, I'm not the masses. I write all day and listen to film scores a lot to set the mood. And I'm guessing you're a musician?

My thing is -- one that will be remembered in the same way the James Bond, Star Wars, Superman, etc. themes are. Not just that it sounds great. But, that it's instantly recognizable to everyone who hears it across generations. I will say it has the build-up going for it though that is easier to hear with those tracks together and hopefully there's a one to three "trumpet" note that will add the punctuation mark. And from there you have the theme (which is usually a build up and the punctuation mark). So at least now it sounds like it might be there and fears aside for the time being.
Brother is the musician. I write. But he has taught me quite a lot the last decade. A lot of strong recommendations for when I am writing.

It is hard to decide what is truly recognizable across the generations. For decades, that is how you could have described the "Gone with the Wind" theme, or "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and its connection to Oz. But does that apply to kids today? How many really know them? I do, but most of my friends don't. Bond and Star Wars have the advantage that they will be making films for new generations.

For me quality has nothing to do with whether others enjoy or remember something. Most people have not watched Raging Bull. That doesn't make the use of Intermezzo any less incredible imo.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #916
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I'd say children still know 'Over the Rainbow' and they still know the rest because they became more cultural iconic pieces. And that's what I was looking for. That's also why I'm saying while I like it, in terms of hearing something that will be able to go side by side John Williams' is just the slight disappointment in there. Without John Williams' I wouldn't be slightly let down and those in here who have also stated similarly I don't think they'd be let down either, it's more just that the bar is set really high especially with this one theme.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #917
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Just listened to the samples and wow they sounded incredible although a few wouldn't work for me

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #918
Nirvana
Slowly Losing My Mind

A lot of the score samples remind me of Angels & Demons.

And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #919
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Just listened to the samples and wow they sounded incredible although a few wouldn't work for me
I don't think they've worked for anyone. But, I think that might just be a glitch on amazon's part and will be available later on. Otherwise there wouldn't be a play icon beside them. Or at least that's what I think is going on.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #920
X Knight
Saber Class

yeah......was looking forward to Flight.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #921
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Where can I hear the samples ?

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #922
X Knight
Saber Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Where can I hear the samples ?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0AA/comingsoon

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #923
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Thanks man !

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #924
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Wow, this score just has this "bigger than life" sound to it. Such an epic sound! Absolutely cannot wait for this!

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #925
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're posting as though there's only 30 seconds of this score we haven't heard.

Closed Thread