Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #926
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
You're posting as though there's only 30 seconds of this score we haven't heard.
If you read everything I write, I've always said "but it could be cut off." So, no, I'm not. I'm judging based purely on the samples and have never stated otherwise.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #927
Donut
Side-Kick

I guess no trailer music on the score ?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #928
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Sorry to say, but I'm going to have to agree with Ultimatehero on this one.

The problem isn't that they're simple. The problem is that there's no distinct theme in there from what I heard. A lot of it is mainly just ambience and drums, and they don't really seem to build to anything. I don't doubt that the music will sound great in the film, but I don't really hear any theme that stands out and will stand the test of time like John Williams' theme.* Though, I really love "Launch". That sounds awesome and haunting, especially with the vocals. I've already got that stuck in my head.

*(I'm not saying that it has to sound like John Williams' theme. I'm just saying that I would like to hear something more distinct and memorable, even like what the animated series did.)

And I liked The Dark Knight Rises score, so don't say that I'm anti-Zimmer, because I'm not. I'm just giving my honest thoughts.

But to be fair, they're only 30 second samples, so I'm probably not getting the full feel of how the songs will sound. I may even love them once I hear the full pieces in the context of the film.

Still looking forward to this, though.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #929
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, it's really unfair to judge by 30 second samples. Especially when one of the tracks is 28 minutes, and that track probably contains all the main themes.

It's just a little taste.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #930
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Half the track previews are unavailable -_-

My LEGO Gallery
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #931
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I also just realized that Josh Freese is one of the drummers in the highly touted drum circle. Pretty awesome.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #932
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Ugh, those samples are killing me with their brevity... I absolutely love what I'm hearing. The soundscape seems HUGE. And yet it also seems to have pitch-perfect quieter moments interspersed throughout. I'm so excited to hear the whole thing. All of the "Hans Sketchbook" tracks being included on the second Deluxe disc have to speak to how much consideration went into this score.

Excited.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #933
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
I guess no trailer music on the score ?
Maybe, maybe not. But if the trailer was made from the score...

Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #934
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
If you read everything I write, I've always said "but it could be cut off." So, no, I'm not. I'm judging based purely on the samples and have never stated otherwise.
Yeah, I know. That's what's so funny.

It's like worrying that there are no vowels in the title of the movie because you got a look at the first letter...and it was M.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #935
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
What I'm talking about is not just a great sounding soundtrack, but one that would be recognizable 30 years from now like all of the great themes I just named. Blade Runner had great music and was an amazing film, but play somebody something from Blade Runner and I doubt they'd know what film they were listening to. As opposed to play them just a couple of notes from the above and every generation knows.
I think you're amazingly wrong on how recognizable Blade Runner's score is.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #936
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

I'm re-listening to the samples and am finding more stuff to like than at first. I doubt it's only me.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #937
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I'm judging based simply upon the samples, just like those who are absolutely delighted by it are judging it based purely on the samples. We are all reviewing the samples. So what exactly is off? You're doing the exact same thing I and everyone else is doing. And from what is heard there's a build-up, but no clearly identifiable theme yet or not really. That it doesn't really stand out to expectations yet is a very valid point for some of us on here. And those of us with that opinion are judging it based upon the exact same thing those who like it are.

-----

Play 'Blade Runner' for the masses and take a poll. The movie itself is known. The music? I'd like to see a source that says its music is well known to the masses.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-30-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #938
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm judging based simply upon the samples, just like those who are absolutely delighted by it are judging it based purely on the samples. We are all reviewing the samples. So what exactly is off? You're doing the exact same thing I and everyone else is doing.
Seems most people are judging what they ARE hearing, not what they aren't.

Someone may or may not like the drum rhythms in the opening 30 seconds of Oil Rig..but those drum rhythms are there to be judged.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #939
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I think you're amazingly wrong on how recognizable Blade Runner's score is.
Speaking of Blade Runner, it has one of the most amazing sountracks I've ever heard in a film. It's just unbe****inglievable .

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #940
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
Seems most people are judging what they ARE hearing, not what they aren't.

Someone may or may not like the drum rhythms in the opening 30 seconds of Oil Rig..but those drum rhythms are there to be judged.
Yeah, and what we aren't hearing is something measurable that can go toe to toe with John Williams. Not be John Williams, but measure up. Something that is at the same very level. A strong memorable theme of some sort that can stand the test of time. We aren't hearing that and that is a lot of our problem. What we aren't hearing, because what we are hearing while great doesn't yet sound like it will be as memorable. We'd like to see something reach that bar. So what are we hearing? Something not as memorable as the key Superman music. What aren't we hearing? Exactly that. And that's the problem. It falls short from the classics. There might, hopefully, be more to it -- but if it doesn't improve past this? Then it's certainly a granted fear for those who want to see something that measures up.

We get it, you like it, you think it's great. That doesn't mean everyone else will or that we won't have a problem with it not measuring up even if we do like it.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-30-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #941
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, and what we aren't hearing is something measurable that can go toe to toe with John Williams. Not be John Williams, but measure up. Something that is at the same very level. A strong memorable theme of some sort that can stand the test of time. We aren't hearing that and that is a lot of our problem. What we aren't hearing, because what we are hearing while great doesn't yet sound like it will be as memorable. We'd like to see something reach that bar. So what are we hearing? Something not as memorable as the key Superman music. What aren't we hearing? Exactly that. And that's the problem. It falls short from the classics.
Yeah, and the first MOS teaser didn't even come close to telling as satisfying a Superman story as Superman: The Movie. 'It fell short from a classic'.

Quote:
We get it, you like it, you think it's great. That doesn't mean everyone else will or that we won't have a problem with it not measuring up even if we do like it.
No, you clearly don't get it. You aren't even trying. You're so eager to 'defend' past work, you can't even wait until you've heard the thing you're supposedly critiquing.

Another thing you're too busy to notice, I haven't shared an opinion on these samples, one way or the other...Maybe that's a coincidence...or maybe it's because they're 30 second intros playing back at 64Kbps and don't really tell me much about the score.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #942
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Some of the samples won't load for me, such as Terraforming and Flight. Any idea which track the trailer music might be a part of? I recognize the piano music from the start of the trailer in Sent Here for a Reason.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #943
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

You wouldn't be all up in arms over people, and yes - I'm not the only one who doesn't like it, about someone not liking it unless you loved it and had problems with anyone who doesn't share the same opinion.

And now the question to end all questions. You've obviously shown how you think of all of us who don't like it or don't think it measures up. Are the opinions of those who like it valid?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #944
jasvll
Side-Kick

Quote:
You wouldn't be all up in arms over people, and yes - I'm not the only one who doesn't like it, about someone not liking it unless you loved it and had problems with anyone who doesn't share the same opinion.
I'm not up in arms over anything. I'm just pointing out how little information we have.

Quote:
And now the question to end all questions. You've obviously shown how you think of all of us who don't like it or don't think it measures up. Are the opinions of those who like it valid?
I answered that question before you even thought to ask it. Twice.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #945
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

So you're upset and flustered that everyone is sharing their opinions whether good or bad? That's a new one. This is the hype. We talk about what we have seen or heard and if we like what we have seen or haven't seen. That's what we do around here. Nobody is neutral. Nobody is one collective body of the same opinion. There's those here who like it, and those here who don't think it's memorable enough (I haven't seen one person who out-right didn't like it yet). That's what we do. And both directions are just as valid as the next. So what's exactly the whole thing going on here?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #946
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I love how "look to the stars" sounds.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 04-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #947
jasvll
Side-Kick

Now I'm 'upset' and 'flustered' and am questioning the validity of the very concept of the internet forum.

Or maybe something else is going on...we won't know until we hear the rest of that MOS score!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #948
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Nobody is talking in concretes. We are all offering opinions based upon selections and we are all open to having those opinions of what we are reviewing. Name one single person here who is saying the clips are all there is - as far as my knowledge - there is nobody.

So since you keep on going on, what exactly is your point? Because I know I'm not the only one scratching my head and asking, "what exactly is this guy trying to say?"

Is it that we can't have opinions? In which case, you'd find everyone against that view. Is it that we can only have positive opinions and the negative ones must be shunned? In which case that is a very narrowed way of looking at things. Or is it that all we're talking about is just the clips? In which case, everyone has made that point abundantly clear long before you started so there was no point in telling us we're just listening to clips - we know that.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #949
TheDailyPigMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude, it was a simple question. Asking what the point is you're trying to make and you haven't told any of us what the point is you're trying to make. You sound like you're trolling at this point and having this go on way longer than it needs to be.
You have a Whedon video in your signature. Why am I not surprised you dislike Zimmer? If Zimmer scored Iron Man, Avengers or any other Marvel film....you'd be saying such great things about the man. That's the truth and we all know it.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #950
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Actually I like Zimmer and own all of his soundtracks. And I would say that the MARVEL films have similarly lacked attaining one prized theme as well. Only there, it isn't going up against one of the best known soundtracks. You take away that Superman soundtrack however, all of us here who say while it's great and doesn't measure up? I doubt anyone would be saying that or feeling underwhelmed. I'm not the only one who while I like it is underwhelmed by it, we're not crazy Marvelites (MOS is my most anticipated movie, so yes - I have big expectations) or hate Zimmer. We're just looking at the two as even Zimmer himself said in interviews would be a challenge to live up to John Williams. So, naturally, I expected that he'd have something that would instantly match those expectations and exceed them.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Closed Thread