The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Default Virus Warnings on site?

Anyone else have this problem? My current virus software lately has been warning me of more and more normal sites giving off Malicious URL warnings, and in the past two days so has The Hype. It isn't an infection as far as I can tell as I've run multiple virus scans and spyware scans, and it isn't my computer that is infected, but it tells me on this and a few other sites I normally visit that a malicious URL has tried to access my PC. Any thoughts?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Default Re: Virus Warnings on site?

You're not alone. The viruses are being sent through infected servers that are used to hotlink images and display ads. I've located them in the awesome and lolpic pages, as well as the lolbatman page. Basically any page that has a lot of pictures are prone to being sending you malware.

We had a long discussion about this a year or two ago and we came to the concensus that you should install anti malware and keep your PC's security updated.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Morg
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

any of you visiting a thread with pics? Those that link them from certain sites can carry virus and such

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Well so far I haven't suffered an infection, my anti-virus just updates me when it has blocked an attempt and I've virus scanned a couple times this week and found no threats. But the places it claims I was attacked were three times in the a community thread list, once on the main forum view, and once or twice in the Star Wars forums. I don't frequent the lolpics, or any of the pic heavy threads so I guess it is ads, but I'm not sure.

TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Morg
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

sounds like a one of those ads, every now and thing one has a nasty surprise

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Megarob
www.digitalbomb.net

Could it have anything to do with a bug in the browser you are using? Chrome did that for me for a while, then an update came out, and all was well again. Maybe check some forums about something like that?

Megarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Far as I can tell, it's a URL:mal warning, which the web seems to say means through either blocked pop up or ad or picture, a website on a block list from my AV is trying to connect. So I guess that solves it.

TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
Far as I can tell, it's a URL:mal warning, which the web seems to say means through either blocked pop up or ad or picture, a website on a block list from my AV is trying to connect. So I guess that solves it.
I had the exact same problem with The Hype two weeks ago. Just as Morg posted, it's most likely from people incorrectly uploading pics. The only time that message popped up was when I went into the Funny Pics thread.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Here's the original thread that I created a year back regarding this ongoing problem. I suggest the mods should merge these:

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...408&highlight=

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I had the exact same problem with The Hype two weeks ago. Just as Morg posted, it's most likely from people incorrectly uploading pics. The only time that message popped up was when I went into the Funny Pics thread.
Probably, although like I said, mine haven't been mostly in threads, so I'm assuming it is certain ads currently running on site.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

This is the reason I use NoScript on my browser.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Oddly, did a virus scan, a spyware scan, downlaoded a malware program and did a scan and all turned up negative. So I restarted my PC and haven't had any warnings since. Wonder if my AV was just derping.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

if yall ever see anything that comes up as a pop up, please screen cap it and less us know

ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote