The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Stand-Alone Movies

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Stand Alone & Spin-Off Star Wars movies...what would you like to see get made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
You should be slapped for even mentioning Han in the same breath as Ron Weasly.
You should be slaped for every time you say somebody should be slaped. The last times i saw you saying this was to Mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: Stand Alone & Spin-Off Star Wars movies...what would you like to see get made?

I haven't spoken a word to mysterious in months, so I'd hardly say I overuse the term.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

CConn should be given plain ale, everytime he/she says someone should be given plain ale? Sounds good to me. Drink up CConn!

Stand alone? Mr. Obi-Wan Kenobi please.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

We've had a lot of Obi six films with him is enough. I'd rather have a Han/Boba because there is still a lot of their story to tell. With Obi-Wan sure there is as well, but I feel we've gotten enough of him for the time being.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Qui-Gon would make for a much better solo movie star than Obi-Wan.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #31
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
We've had a lot of Obi six films with him is enough. I'd rather have a Han/Boba because there is still a lot of their story to tell. With Obi-Wan sure there is as well, but I feel we've gotten enough of him for the time being.
Well i disagree . For me, the time between ROTS and ANH is one worth exploring with Obi-Wan. Seeing the Republic crumble into an Empire through his eyes, and his new views on the Force and how he retains his identity intrigue me. But of course he's my favorite character followed by Han, so i guess the wish for a spinoff about him shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #32
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Technically, he should just be sitting in his hovel meditating and stuff for those 20 years. Hardly an interesting movie.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #33
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Honestly, nothing. Keep the films in the "Official Skywalker Saga" and anything outside of that in live action form as a television series. Only a matter of time before we get a TV show.

I don't like the idea of Marvel-izing Star Wars. Marvel was all about solo superheroes all building up to one big mega-event. Star Wars is a big mega-event all to its own.
I'm with you. I don't even think that Episode VII should be the Skywalker's story. I think that Abrahms should set Episode VII about 1,000 years after ANH. Tell a whole new story. But that is just me.

That being said, I really don't have any interest in a Han Solo prequel. I don't think anyone can replicate the charm of Harrison Ford without coming off as a caricature of him. Plus, I think some mystique is some good thing. Mind you, Han and Chewie are my favorite characters in the franchise....but I like some mystery behind them. We don't need to see everything.

Plus, I think that it kind of undermines Han. There is nothing special about him prior to ANH. He is a scoundrel, a smuggler and a pirate. His journey into hero is what makes his arc in the OT poignant. I don't want to see a prequel undermine that.

As for Boba Fett, whatever. I've never seen anything special about him, to be honest.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

That being said, if a Han Solo prequel is made, make Tarkin the villain. It is about time he gets some play. Such a classic villain. I was disappointed that he wasn't featured more heavily in the prequels as a military adviser/conspirator of Palpatine.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #35
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I feel like 90% of the complaints you people have about a Han Solo movie would be rendered entirely moot if you had ever read the Han Solo trilogy books.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #36
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I feel like 90% of the complaints you people have about a Han Solo movie would be rendered entirely moot if you had ever read the Han Solo trilogy books.
Very possible. There probably is a way to tell a story that keeps Han's mystique, doesn't give him some corny origin story and doesn't undermine his OT arc.

That being said, my biggest concern is the lack of Ford. I feel like it worked for Indiana Jones because Indiana Jones (with Young Indiana Jones) and could for sequels because Indiana just isn't the same type of character as Han Solo. I feel like if Tom Selleck (who auditioned for Indiana) got the role, it would've essentially been the same movie. Meanwhile, if one of the Han Solo auditioners, like Burt Reynolds was cast as Solo....it would be an entirely different character. I just feel like Han Solo is one of those unique characters that no other actor can play without coming off as a cheesey caricature of Ford.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, but how many mantle characters have we seen done well over the years now? Who would've thought James Bond after Connery, or Captain Kirk after Shatner could ever be done properly again?

A lot of your complaints just seem more like negativity for the sake of negativity.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, but how many mantle characters have we seen done well over the years now? Who would've thought James Bond after Connery, or Captain Kirk after Shatner could ever be done properly again?

A lot of your complaints just seem more like negativity for the sake of negativity.
Not really. I feel like they are valid viewpoints. You can feel free to write them off, but why not actually consider and discuss them rather than just labeling me a hater?

Connery being replaced was in a different era. It was in the era of two Darrens. Yes, it was unconventional, but it worked and it laid down a precedent for that particular franchise. Furthermore, continuity in Bond has always been loose. Because of that each Bond actor has put their own specific spin on the character. Connery's Bond and Moore's Bond are two entirely different characters, when you really think about it. The lack of continuity allows for that. Star Wars does not have that luxury (at least not intentionally....insert prequel joke here).

Same with ST09. Pine was able to develop his own Kirk, distinct of Shatner's, because the continuity was shifted (through plot device rather than just having a very loose continuity like Bond). Plus, let's face it....Kirk isn't an iconic performance in the same sense that Han Solo is. Shatner's performance as Kirk is on par with Adam West as Batman. Captain Kirk is an iconic character because the franchise is iconic and he was the original captain. It has very little to do with Shatner's portrayal of Kirk.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #39
regwec
Shakespearo

I can't stand plastic-faced Chris Pine.

Although recasting Han is probably impossible, I would like to see a Star Wars take on the traditional 1980's black cop/white cop buddy movie, featuring Han and Lando. Work in Alan Rickman as the molesty local Moff, and you have pure gold.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #40
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Nah lol. Honestly though CCon is right. I recommend reading the Han Solo trilogy it was really really good. Showed that you could do a lot with Han and yet keep him awesome for the OT. I wonder if that is what they would base it off of. Because if so it would make for a good film.

I know you don't like Pine but I think he was wonderfully cast.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #41
smallville fan
Hero

I'd love to have a Darth Revan movie, either set in the Mandalorian Wars or Jedi Civil War.

When I brought this up with friends they think it will alienate people who are just casual fans of Star Wars(ie not knowing anything outside the movies).

Then I thought if you wanted to have a connection you could use this concept. I always thought it would make sense Revan would be a good ancestor to the Skywalkers. Seeing as Theron Shan(latest descendant to Revan/Bastilla) is not force sensitive, he and his descendants would have been forgotten by the Jedi Order but not Sith like Plagueis(on wookiepedia there is not much else written on him leaving many paths to follow). There is a real possibility of Theron and/or his descendants could have somehow married and throughout many generations lead to Shimi Skywalker. Because of this ancient bloodline, Plagueis chose Shimi Skywalker for his experiments leading to Anakin.

smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #42
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As for Boba Fett, whatever. I've never seen anything special about him, to be honest.
Ditto.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #43
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Obi-Wan Kenobi, set between ROTS and ANH
This guy knows.

And I hate the idea of a Han Solo movie. Not only because of the absence of Ford, but also because I am just not really interested in what happened to the character pre-ANH. I don't really care about Boba Fett either. I have no idea why he's so popular. A Yoda solo movie? That's just dumb. That movie isn't actually confirmed, is it?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #44
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

First, going with more Obi, is just going to a character that already has been used a lot. No none of the spin-off's are 100% they are just putting ideas out, the main focus is Episode VII-IX.

However, like some of us were saying above, if you get the chance the Han Solo trilogy that was written 15 years ago is some great books, and takes place 10 years prior to ANH. Just because you don't think you would be interested does not mean he does not have an interesting story prior to ANH. He actually does. Much more interesting then a Jedi we already know a lot about. Though I would never be against a Obi movie, for the most part he stayed on Tatooine. Why stick on a planet we've been to a lot already?

With Han we would get to see some great places the smuggler goes.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #45
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Awesome Re: Stand Alone & Spin-Off Star Wars movies...what would you like to see get made?

Quote:
First, going with more Obi, is just going to a character that already has been used a lot. No none of the spin-off's are 100% they are just putting ideas out, the main focus is Episode VII-IX.

However, like some of us were saying above, if you get the chance the Han Solo trilogy that was written 15 years ago is some great books, and takes place 10 years prior to ANH. Just because you don't think you would be interested does not mean he does not have an interesting story prior to ANH. He actually does. Much more interesting then a Jedi we already know a lot about. Though I would never be against a Obi movie, for the most part he stayed on Tatooine. Why stick on a planet we've been to a lot already?

With Han we would get to see some great places the smuggler goes.
I'm sure that there's some great EU material about Han, but I'm just personally not interested in the character beyond his role in the OT. It's a very subjective issue.

I agree that we could see a lot of great new places with a shadier character like Han, but I'd honestly rather see an original character explore those places instead. I don't know why, but I just feel like Solo's story has run it's course, and any further exploration in the form of prequels would feel like backtracking to me. You could probably say the same about Obi-wan, but I'm selfish. I didn't completely like he way he was handled in the prequels and I'd like to see him get another chance to shine. Plus, he's probably my favorite Star Wars character. For me, I think this is just a matter of unfounded, extreme bias.

Not to say that I wouldn't watch a Han Solo movie (I certainly WOULD skip a Yoda film though). It's just that I would rather see an Obi-Wan movie, first.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #46
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:

[...]

Though I would never be against a Obi movie, for the most part he stayed on Tatooine. Why stick on a planet we've been to a lot already?
You keep mentioning that we've seen a lot of Obi, but I don't think I'll ever get the argument. If the movie's good, why would that matter? Especially if Ewan is willing to reprise. And especially since Disney is going to bomb us with SW films come '15, it's not like the Obi film will rob some other movie's chances of getting made.

People love the character, and he's not as overexposed as you make him out to be.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #47
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm with you. I don't even think that Episode VII should be the Skywalker's story. I think that Abrahms should set Episode VII about 1,000 years after ANH. Tell a whole new story. But that is just me.

That being said, I really don't have any interest in a Han Solo prequel. I don't think anyone can replicate the charm of Harrison Ford without coming off as a caricature of him. Plus, I think some mystique is some good thing. Mind you, Han and Chewie are my favorite characters in the franchise....but I like some mystery behind them. We don't need to see everything.

Plus, I think that it kind of undermines Han. There is nothing special about him prior to ANH. He is a scoundrel, a smuggler and a pirate. His journey into hero is what makes his arc in the OT poignant. I don't want to see a prequel undermine that.

Problem is that wouldn't be episode VII though, that would just be a spin off using the name. Star Wars is the story of Obi-Wan, Luke, and Lukes protege. Vaders arc always ended with Episode VI, so that won't be too hard, the problem will be replacing Palpatine.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #48
Lobo
Time for Roman's Reign

I'm not a big Boba guy but I can see potential for a good film there. Love Han, and a pre ANH story could be interesting it's the casting that is key there.

As for solo films? KOTOR has to happen. I also think Kyle Katarn would make a great protoganist that the GA could get into. So those would be my two choices. I'm not feeling the Yoda solo movie. He'd be better served as part of the Seven Jedi idea Snyder was supposedly doing IMO.

And, I have a great fondness for Qui Gon so would love anything based on him.

Last edited by Lobo; 02-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #49
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
You keep mentioning that we've seen a lot of Obi, but I don't think I'll ever get the argument. If the movie's good, why would that matter? Especially if Ewan is willing to reprise. And especially since Disney is going to bomb us with SW films come '15, it's not like the Obi film will rob some other movie's chances of getting made.

People love the character, and he's not as overexposed as you make him out to be.
Of course he's a popular character and of course if there is quality I'm all for it. However I think Disney is somewhat distancing themselves a tad from major PT characters to give the NT a different feel. That and Han is a lovable character as well. And there has been no talk of an Obi-wan one so right now it's more likely we will see the Han one ect.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #50
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

That Solo book that just came out maybe was on to something. I have no clue as to the merit of the actual book, but the idea of a younger Solo, Lando, Chewie and some other new criminals pulling a heist against a rich Imperial Baron or something would be cool. I know people don't want everything explained but either have Han win the Falcon or have him try to buy it or something and Lando declines. That could be a fun movie if done right. Ultra cool personas doing a job.