The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #126
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Default Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII - Part 3

Yeah, neither am I. JJ got a lot of people interested in Trek... well, the new movies, at least.

Star Wars will be the same way.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #127
Viral
Side-Kick

J.J. Abrams talks Star Wars:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/03...star-wars.html

Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #128
Bim
Side-Kick

That's the type of response i expect from JJ right now, which of course tells us nothing

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #129
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Lol, did he really answer a question with a "questions and answers" schtick? That's so un-JJ.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #130
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

We're all gonna be there whether or not he gives us details at this point in the game. Let him keep his secrets. We'll probably be better for it.

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #131
roach
I am the night

I don't think it's his secret thing...I just don't think he done any real Star Wars work yet. He's been busy with Star Trek.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #132
MistaBinks
Side-Kick

Sorry if this has been covered already. Is it fair to say JJ was given the keys to the franchise as far as Star Trek was concerned but is only a hired gun (director) for Star Wars?

Meaning, was/is JJ overall in charge of the Star Trek franchise?

Then, do you think he is only serving as director for Star Wars or does he wield more power?

MistaBinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #133
Octoberist
point blank

No, I think he's more than a hired gun for Disney, and that's why they pursued him so hard.

He won't have a say in the main narrative through line with the script, but he'll probably have tons of input from JJ in terms of the script. Plus, he's the one who'll okay the designs and casting..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #134
Bowie
Banned User

Not sure how much lens flare I can tolerate.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #135
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

*crickets*

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #136
smallville fan
Hero

What do you guys think of this "conspiracy"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9B1ERvl87w

And how do you think the ceremony where Luke, Han, Leia etc are announced to return to their roles will go?

If I were organizing it, I would want it to be a surprise event in Hollywood which would happen 1 week before Star Trek Into Darkness premieres where members of the press along with say 200 or more hardcore Star Wars fans would watch a brief montage of Luke, Han, Leia etc throughout the original trilogy.

This would be followed by an entrance of each cast member and right after everyone comes out including JJ Abrams himself there would be big bold yellow letters in Star Wars font saying 2015 and then the cast would say into a microphone "We're Back". And of course John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra would be playing "Throne Room" throughout the whole thing. It's the last piece of music in A New Hope if you don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjDaPOWdx6s

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #137
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Sounds expensive as ****.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #138
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
He will **** up Star Wars just like he ****ed up Star Trek.
How can JJ **** up Star Wars any worse than it has been since 1999? I'm much more confidant in Abrams, who has people to answer to, than say an unchecked George Lucas.

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #139
MistaBinks
Side-Kick

George Lucas, in my opinion, always gets a pass. Star Wars is his baby. He created it. He owns it. No different than an Edward Burns indie or a Tyler Perry movie. They own it. They make it the way they wanted.

JJ Abrams has a good track record. I have high hopes. But he does have people to answer to and doesn't get a free pass.

MistaBinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #140
Solidus
Kylo Ren

In news JJ has apparently finished STID two days ago and it is locked. So he probably is now jumping on Star Wars much more heavily now, or very soon.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/17/star...lm-now-locked/

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #141
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaBinks View Post
George Lucas, in my opinion, always gets a pass. Star Wars is his baby. He created it. He owns it. No different than an Edward Burns indie or a Tyler Perry movie. They own it. They make it the way they wanted.

JJ Abrams has a good track record. I have high hopes. But he does have people to answer to and doesn't get a free pass.
Ownership is no excuse for messing up a good thing. Screwing up is screwing up. If I drive my car down the highway at 100 mph and wreck it is it ok because it was my car? Nope. The car is ****ed no matter who owns it. If I take a sledghammer to my kitchen is the kitchen ok because I own it? Nope.

Lucas took his classic hotrod threw some 20s on it and a euro trash spoiler and drove it straight into a tree. Yeah, he was free to do it, because he owned it, but that doesn't mean it was smart or at all ok.

Note: I accept that others like all 6 films, and to them I say that is fine with me, and I don't think you are wrong for doing so. We all like what we like.

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 04-19-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #142
regwec
Shakespearo

The difference is that, if it was your car or kitchen, no one would care. Fans naturally feel a sense of ownership towards the things they love.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #143
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Arrow Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII - Part 3

Abrams quote collect-a-thon. Thread needed a bump with some info.

May 2013:

Quote:
Q: What do you think about the prequels? Do you like them? Is that something that you...

JJA: I got to say, as someone who is such a Star Wars fan, without question, my favorite movies were the original films. And it's a funny thing, because a lot of my friends have this debate where they say 'oh The Empire Strikes Back is clearly the better movie' and... I don't know. I have a soft spot in my heart for Star Wars, the original film. I love, you know, Empire as well, but there is something about Star Wars, the original...
May 2, 2013:

Quote:
Q: Obviously, the challenge with this film and with the previous one was, you know, keeping the existing fans happy and also bringing in new fans and you've obviously succeeded in that in a huge way. What lessons can you take from that going into your next big project?

JJA: You know the lesson you always learn is that it just gets harder and harder it seems to do anything. You think 'Oh I wrote a script' or 'I made a film' and the next time it'll be a little easier and you're like you realize for some reason it gets harder and harder. I think that the key to anything working—if it has a shot—is approaching it from the inside out—telling the story from a place of character and a place of emotion—and let the plot serve that. And it's critically important obviously—plot, whatever, you know, the motivation of the characters, the twists, the turns—all those things are critical but generic if you're not approaching it from a point of view of emotional, you know, personal and specific place. So, though this movie was a sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness was intended not for people who've seen our prior film or the existing TV shows. This is a standalone film. If you've seen it, if you're a fan, you'll definitely get bonuses and little easter eggs and sort of rewards for having been a fan. But we tried to make this movie work on its own terms.

Q: And you feel that's what you're gonna need to do with Star Wars: Episode VII as well?

JJA: I think that, you know, moving forward on any project, relying on or assuming an audience knows, feels, cares, is invested...is probably recipe for disaster.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Abrams talks Star Wars with Simon Pegg (May 3, 2013):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Abrams on Jimmy Kimmel Live (May 16, 2013):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

June 8, 2013:

Quote:
I think that the thing is so big and so massive to so many people that the key to moving forward is honoring but not revering what went before.
George Lucas agrees.

September 19, 2013:

Quote:
I would say we are working really hard to make a movie that feels as emotional and authentic and exciting as possible.
November 2, 2013:

Quote:
I loved how Star Wars had that sense of a world far beyond the borders of what you can see and have been told – it’s one of the things it did so brilliantly. If you watch the first movie, you don’t actually know exactly what the Empire is trying to do. They’re going to rule by fear – but you don’t know what their end game is. You don’t know what Leia is princess of. You don’t yet understand who Jabba the Hutt is, even though there is a reference to him. You don’t know that Vader is Luke’s father, Leia is his sister – but the possibility is all there. The beauty of that movie was that it was an unfamiliar world, & yet you wanted to see it expand and to see where it went.
Abrams says he agrees with the sentiment behind this video:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

On taking over the scripting duties, November 7, 2014:

Quote:
It became clear that given the time frame and given the process and the way the thing was going that working with Larry in this way was going to get us where we need to be and when we needed to be. Working with Larry Kasdan, especially on a Star Wars movie is kind of unbeatable.

Working with Michael was a wonderful experience and I couldn't be a bigger fan of his or adore him more, He’s a wonderful guy and was incredibly helpful in the process. That doesn't preclude working with Michael again in the future. He is one of the best writers around.
November 8, 2013:

Quote:
...I think we're doing our job and looking everywhere for the best possible actors for the roles.

Nothing is more important. There are things that are as important, but nothing is more important than casting a movie great and I have been incredibly lucky to be involved in projects that we've had wonderful casts and wonderful casting directors to make it happen.

The last thing you want to do, when you're collaborating on something, is work with people where you have to do their job for them and kind-of give them notes every way. You want people who inspire you and elevate it.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

On the Episode VII release date delay, November 25, 2013:

Quote:
I will say that it is an infinitely better situation now than when they were saying that they wanted it in the summer [of 2015].

Before I even came onto the project, they were talking about 2015, and they made this announcement very early on, which I understand. I understand why they'd want that, but it didn't necessarily have anything to do with the reality of where anything was creatively.

I think that it's a hugely important thing that [the creative process] come first. A release date is great, but you have to release something great. To me, the new release date is a huge improvement.
January 25, 2014:

Quote:
We were trying to preserve the unexpected for the audience, but it came across as if we were trying to be too clever [about "John Harrison" in Star Trek Into Darkness].
Quote:
Star Wars is in every way a different animal. It’s always been a more open, fan-engaged universe than I've been used to, so I’m sure there’ll be some sort of compromise. But it feels to me like there’s a purity in not knowing every little thing.
February 23, 2014:

Quote:
Q: Are you lived in this project 24 hours 24?

JJA: Twenty-five hours! Shooting will begin in May and last about three months. Then there will be about a year of special effects. The key is to return to the roots of the first film, try to be more in emotion than in the explanation.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 04-24-2014 at 02:50 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #144
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I don't care if he likes prequels or not.He has to respect them.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #145
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Simon Pegg on Abrams' approach to Star Wars. May 2013:

Quote:
What will he bring to the franchise? Everything that was missing from the last three. That’s what he did to Star Trek, really – invigorate it with a little bit of Star Wars magic. He switched it from science-fiction to science-fantasy.
Quote:
And I think if anyone can pull [Star Wars] out of the mire, it’s J.J. He’ll bring the fun back. Lucas seemed to misread what made the first ones great, and concentrate on things that people didn’t really care about, or wilfully ignore the things that people cared about. Whereas J.J. will embrace them all.
Quote:
We’re going to see the Millennium Falcon again. We’re going to see those characters again. All the things that we loved about the first three, we will see again.
JJ's friend Dominic Monaghan comments on Abrams' approach to the new movie:

Dominic Monaghan. March 24, 2014:

Quote:
I'll watch Star Wars. I'll be there. I'm gonna go visit JJ on set. Uh, who knows. Maybe I'll get the chance to be in two or three. But I think JJ's very keen to create new characters and a new Star Wars that you have not seen before. And when he and I chat about it he was like look, you know, you might potentially be a little well known in that world and what I think JJ didn't want happen is have everyone coming along for this Star Wars ride on new planets and new solar systems and then suddenly 'oh there's that guy from Lost.' So, I think that was his M.O..
Dominic Monaghan. March 25, 2014:

Quote:
The great thing about that when you know someone is, you know every so often JJ might send me a little, you know, fun email like 'Oh we're doing this', 'We're doing that', or you know 'Can you come to this event?' So you get a little inside track but you can still be a fan.
Quote:
We've talked a few times about it. And you know he just said ‘We’re putting together a cast of essentially unknowns. You know, we want to follow the kind of ’77 New Hope cast because obviously Harrison Ford wasn't well known at that point, Mark Hamill wasn't and Carrie Fisher wasn't either.
Quote:
...What he said was, ‘We're looking for... we don’t want to fall into that mistake of people going, ‘Oh, it’s that guy from the thing!’ and then you’re completely out of the Star Wars universe.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Lawrence Kasdan comments (February 9, 2013):

Quote:
I think everyone’s interested to see where this can go. It’s been some very different places over 30 years …. I think with J.J., we’ll get something entirely new.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 04-26-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #146
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I don't care if he likes prequels or not.He has to respect them.
And why's that?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #147
Bim
Side-Kick

I agree with JJ regarding the originals: for me, ANH is well above the other two.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #148
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Yep, same. I always thought ESB was overrated, and ANH was the best of them all.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #149
Lobo
Mmhmmm him

I don't know if ESB is overrated but ANH is my favorite of the series.

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #150
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I like TESB more. Luke is more capable and less "along for the ride", Hoth, Dagobah, Cloud City, less droid focus, more diversity, revelations and consequences, etc.

But obviously not everything about the approach to TESB makes sense when you're back at movie 1 of 3 like with Episode VII.