The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Since we have threads for a lot of the other characters, I thought we maybe should go with one for our main hero as well.

One of the major letdowns of the first film, for me, was Peter Parker's characterization. He just wasn't likeable. At points he was simply mean-spirited (his jabs at criminals while dressed as Spider-Man came off more as demeaning and patronizing than witty or clever). He seemed incredibly immature. His quickness to break his promise to Captain Stacy, and his disrespectful comment about "broken promises being the best kind" didn't do any favors to my opinion of the character.

I think much of this is due to bad scripting rather than Garfield's performance. I'm hoping the characterization will be much better this time around. So to get things started: what would be some ways to improve his character in the second film? Where should his arc go from here? Do you disagree with my above analysis and why?

I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that Spidey will be a more likeable and sympathetic character this time around.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Marvel Spider
Amazing.
 
Marvel Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,997
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

I don't know why, but for a second I thought this thread contained the first picture of the new suit and my heart skipped a beat.

Marvel Spider is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
He seemed incredibly immature.
Agree. Garfield's Peter Parker AND Spider-Man.

While I loved his Spidey being much more "spider-like" than Raimi's Spider-Man, the characterization of Webb's version sincerely felt way too immature even if he stopped a giant lizard from turning the city into fellow lizards...all of that accomplishment paled in comparison to Peter even breaking his promise to Captain Stacy and if nothing happens to Gwen in the sequel, then Peter needs to realize himself that he needs to "grow up", with the Spidey mask and without.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

The advantage is that ASM has much more of a "chapter 1 in a longer story" feel than Raimi's films, so the potential is that Parker will overcome these character issues in subsequent chapters. It feels much more serialized than self-contained.

The disadvantage with that is that the first film kinda ends on a note where I don't really respect or like the main character all that much... and that makes me nervous. It would have been better to have Peter abide by the promise in this film but be tempted to break it in film 2, IMO.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Yeah he's still a kid in this trilogy. I'm sure after Gwen dies we'll see the Peter who truly understands what "great power comes with great responsibility" means. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the line in a flashback between Peter and Uncle Ben.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

i love how he abides by captain stacey's promise when gwen comes to his door. then he goes back on it when he hears the voice message left by uncle ben, which i just do not understand. the message didn't seem to instruct peter to be irresponisble. if anything it gave him an extra push to still be spider-man, and it is his being spider-man which was the whole point of captain stacey's ultimatum in the first place.

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
SM71
bending unit
 
SM71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,731
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
The advantage is that ASM has much more of a "chapter 1 in a longer story" feel than Raimi's films, so the potential is that Parker will overcome these character issues in subsequent chapters. It feels much more serialized than self-contained.

The disadvantage with that is that the first film kinda ends on a note where I don't really respect or like the main character all that much... and that makes me nervous. It would have been better to have Peter abide by the promise in this film but be tempted to break it in film 2, IMO.
I do somewhat agree with the second part (that's how I felt after the first time I saw it), but I think it was just meant to kind of serve as a cliffhanger for the next movie. If it would have ended with the scene at his porch, or seeing each other in the hallway looking angry/upset, it wouldn't leave much anticipation for the next film. Although he gives it away he's going to continue seeing her and 'break' his promise, I think it's obviously going to play a continuing role in their relationship, just as the synopsis hints at.

As for your comment about the more serialized feel of these movies as opposed to self-contained chapters, I couldn't agree more. I hope that direction applies to the villains as well

__________________
"All for One and One for All"- Founding Member of Spidey 3's Band Of Brothers
(less proud of this now)
SM71 is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"
 
Nicko-Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 7,287
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

If he seemed immature, then that's great. He's 17 yrs old.

Nicko-Ray is online now  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
The advantage is that ASM has much more of a "chapter 1 in a longer story" feel than Raimi's films, so the potential is that Parker will overcome these character issues in subsequent chapters. It feels much more serialized than self-contained.

The disadvantage with that is that the first film kinda ends on a note where I don't really respect or like the main character all that much... and that makes me nervous. It would have been better to have Peter abide by the promise in this film but be tempted to break it in film 2, IMO.
Something serialized as TAS-M definitely has pros and cons than just characterizations as well.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
The Vigilante
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

I don't understand why everyone always seems to be calling Andrew's Peter Parker an unlikeable douchebag and whatnot. Webb's goal was to have this Peter Parker be more grounded and realistic and it worked. This Peter Parker is always how I imagined he would be if he was created in modern times. He behaved exactly how a teenager would act nowadays and I found him to be very relate able.

The Vigilante is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Bringing up the grounded card while explaining why Webb's Peter is a douche, lol. That is a new one.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
AF3619
WOOO!
 
AF3619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: México
Posts: 6,216
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Bringing up the grounded card while explaining why Webb's Peter is a douche, lol. That is a new one.
how is he a douche?

__________________
avvy by Kane52630
"-On belif of the fair people of New York city and real rhinos everywhere i ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
The Vigilante
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Bringing up the grounded card while explaining why Webb's Peter is a douche, lol. That is a new one.
I never said he was a douche. I was explaining how other perceive him as one but he's just a more realistic teenager this time around and people like me can relate to him because of it

The Vigilante is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,054
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
I don't understand why everyone always seems to be calling Andrew's Peter Parker an unlikeable douchebag and whatnot. Webb's goal was to have this Peter Parker be more grounded and realistic and it worked. This Peter Parker is always how I imagined he would be if he was created in modern times. He behaved exactly how a teenager would act nowadays and I found him to be very relate able.
And they say comedy is hard to do.....

C. Lee is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
The Vigilante
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
And they say comedy is hard to do.....
I'm not trying to start and argument of anything but I would think that I would know how a teenager in high school would act because I AM a teenager in high school.

The Vigilante is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,015
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
I don't understand why everyone always seems to be calling Andrew's Peter Parker an unlikeable douchebag and whatnot. Webb's goal was to have this Peter Parker be more grounded and realistic and it worked. This Peter Parker is always how I imagined he would be if he was created in modern times. He behaved exactly how a teenager would act nowadays and I found him to be very relate able.
You are mean to your adopted Aunt after you get her husband killed?

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
AF3619
WOOO!
 
AF3619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: México
Posts: 6,216
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
You are mean to your adopted Aunt after you get her husband killed?
how was he mean?
imho,he was irresponsible ,defensive to his Aunt, they both are in a lot of pressure and again Peter is still a teenager so he still has a lot to learn
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
avvy by Kane52630
"-On belif of the fair people of New York city and real rhinos everywhere i ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"

Last edited by AF3619; 02-08-2013 at 11:26 PM.
AF3619 is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,843
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
And they say comedy is hard to do.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
I'm not trying to start and argument of anything but I would think that I would know how a teenager in high school would act because I AM a teenager in high school.
I'm with Vigilante on this one.

Granted I havent been a teenager for a couple years, but how long has it been for you, C. Lee?

Peter acts like roughly 90% of teenage boys I've known in the last 5 years.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,015
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
how was he mean?
Rly.........................

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
The Vigilante
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
You are mean to your adopted Aunt after you get her husband killed?
Oh no he told Aunt May to "please go to sleep" because he didn't want her to worry about him and his injuries as Spider-Man. What a complete jerk.

The Vigilante is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,015
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
Oh no he told Aunt May to "please go to sleep" because he didn't want her to worry about him and his injuries as Spider-Man. What a complete jerk.
Yeah that was their only interaction.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,843
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Or maybe its because he forgot to get the eggs while he was trying to avenge her husbands death.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
how is he a douche?
Not helping a cashier just because he(Peter) didn't have enough money for the milk, breaking a promise he made with a guy that saved his ass from a giant lizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
I never said he was a douche. I was explaining how other perceive him as one but he's just a more realistic teenager this time around and people like me can relate to him because of it
You said Webb made a Peter Parker for the modern times, and that portrayal was a douche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
I'm not trying to start and argument of anything but I would think that I would know how a teenager in high school would act because I AM a teenager in high school.
Newsflash...EVERYONE'S been a teenager

Just because you are one now doesn't mean you are the only one wise enough to know how teenagers act, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,054
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
I'm not trying to start and argument of anything but I would think that I would know how a teenager in high school would act because I AM a teenager in high school.
You didn't get my post......I'm sure others did...but I will explain for the heck of it.

You said - I don't understand why everyone always seems to be calling Andrew's Peter Parker an unlikeable douchebag

And you also said - He behaved exactly how a teenager would act nowadays and I found him to be very relate able.

So....if everyone calls him an unlikeable douchbag......and you say you relate to him, or in other words act like him.....does that makes you seem like a **insert witty remark here** to everyone?

If everyone thinks he is an unlikeable douchebag....and he acts exactly like a teenager acts nowadays.....then I guess everyone thinks that teenagers nowadays act like unlikeable douchebags.


Hence my remark about comedy.

Because to me your remark was hilarious.

C. Lee is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vigilante View Post
Oh no he told Aunt May to "please go to sleep" because he didn't want her to worry about him and his injuries as Spider-Man. What a complete jerk.
He didn't want to get yelled out by his aunt; he wasn't trying to be nice to May.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.