The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #226
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

I recently saw an interview with Emma and Garfield where Andrew cuts down the interviewer who asks him a personal question, 'When did you start to have feelings for each' (). Andrew was polite but very firm in refusing to answer the question.
I don't get the need for personal questions when you can literally ask him any question about the Spider-Man franchise save for spoilers.

* How much of your own stunts did you do?
* Were you intimidated by legends Sheen and Fields?
* Would you like to see more or less CG with regards to actualising Spider-Man's powers?
* How much directing did Marc Webb give you with regards emotional scenes?
* How does Hollywood compare to British independents with regards to film making?
* What do you think of 3D?
* Would a Spider-Man TV series interest you?

All questions off the top of my head without asking awkward personal questions. I'll also add I'd be a heck of a lot more interested in the answers to my questions than when Andrew and Emma started falling for each other, seriously, who give a ****?

Last edited by spider-neil; 02-19-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #227
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Can you link to the interview?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #228
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #229
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I hope they let Andrew have that bit of an older look in the film. More hair, better groomed, bigger frame, and not that awkward voice throughout the entire film.

EDIT: Is it me or does Emma seems either high or nervous in that interview?

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 02-19-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #230
Naite22
Side-Kick

Just seeing that interview. Garfield really seems to be such a stand-up dude. A true gentlemen, that really has his feet planted firmly on the ground. He just seems so humane and nice, you can't help but like him. I think that's why his Portraying of Peter Parker is so dead on amazing... Oh, and Emma. Speechless. What a chick. So beautiful and so ****ing COOL, plus smart! A combination of words I very rarely use when talking about a girl.

ASM2 has every bit of potential of blowing the first one out of the water - and I really dig the first one! Make no mistake about that.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #231
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
Just seeing that interview. Garfield really seems to be such a stand-up dude. A true gentlemen, that really has his feet planted firmly on the ground. He just seems so humane and nice, you can't help but like him. I think that's why his Portraying of Peter Parker is so dead on amazing... Oh, and Emma. Speechless. What a chick. So beautiful and so ****ing COOL, plus smart! A combination of words I very rarely use when talking about a girl.

ASM2 has every bit of potential of blowing the first one out of the water - and I really dig the first one! Make no mistake about that.

The acting was probably the best thing about TASM. Garfield, Stone, Iffans, etc... all did a stellar job with what they had. Too bad the writers and director didn't make the same effort.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #232
Schrute
Side-Kick

^I thought it was pretty good, Spider-Man 2 is still the best though

Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #233
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
The acting was probably the best thing about TASM. Garfield, Stone, Iffans, etc... all did a stellar job with what they had. Too bad the writers and director didn't make the same effort.
While I do agree with you somewhat about the director, it was his first major film debut, so he probably didn't have or wasn't in full control of what was going in on with production.

This time around, I'm sure he's in more control and taking what he learned on TASM and applying it to this film to make the best film he can make. He's even got some different people on this film than he did in the last film (different Costume Designer, different Director of Photography, etc.), which shows that he's really making this even more of his own film this time around.

Also, the scriptwriters for this film are also really big Spider-Man fans, so the script should be even better than the previous film's.

Take all of that, and the fact that were past the retreading of his origin and exploring new territory, and I think we have something really special on our hands.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #234
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I hope they let Andrew have that bit of an older look in the film. More hair, better groomed, bigger frame, and not that awkward voice throughout the entire film.

EDIT: Is it me or does Emma seems either high or nervous in that interview?
Why a bigger frame? IMO, spidey always looked best gangly and 'scrawny' (by superhero standards).

Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #235
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
I thought the directing was very well done. Room for improvement? I agree. But overall, a very good job IMO.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #236
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

Quote:
The director didn't make the se
effort? Isn't Webb most acclaimed for having the actors he DIRECTS give good performances? Sure, the action was a little eh, but it was his first shot at it. Part of what made SM2's fights so dynamic is that Raimi is famous for his dynamic and weird camera angles that enhances the scene. The main problem with the film was editing, which will hopefully be improved in the next film. The script there's no telling considering there are different writers, and hopefully Webb will have learned from his experience with TASM and film more dynamic action scenes in the sequel. The tone of the movie was pretty consistent, save for the football incident but hey, maybe that could be possible.
The movie didn't feel dark necessarily, it just felt a bit more real, maybe a bit colder compared to Raimi's Spider-Man movies, which defintiely have a warmer feeling. That could do with the cinematography of the movie though, which was excellent. Really vibrant colors.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #237
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

The way Emma is staring at Andrew you can tell she is head over heels for him.
Also very funny that he doesn't let her get a word in edge ways.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #238
mayo23
Side-Kick

Although I think Webb did a good job with ASM, the director does oversee the editing of the film. Webb mentioned a few times in interviews how he wanted to have a particular pacing, so any editing/pacing problems people have with the film can be attributed to him. Just saying.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #239
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
Although I think Webb did a good job with ASM, the director does oversee the editing of the film. Webb mentioned a few times in interviews how he wanted to have a particular pacing, so any editing/pacing problems people have with the film can be attributed to him. Just saying.
im not justifying Webb , but is his second film and his first film with action

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #240
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I think Webb character depth and direction is superb but his action scenes need work. I was checking out a little when Spidey was fighting Lizard, whether that was due to not finding the Lizard engaging enough or being taken out of the movie due to the CG, who knows. I was no where near as engaged as when Spidey was fighting Ock on the train or Goblin in the graveyard.

There is hope for him though as I though the action in X1 outright sucked but Singer brought his A game to X2 so character directors can up their game with action with enough prep tme.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #241
mayo23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I think Webb character depth and direction is superb but his action scenes need work. I was checking out a little when Spidey was fighting Lizard, whether that was due to not finding the Lizard engaging enough or being taken out of the movie due to the CG, who knows. I was no where near as engaged as when Spidey was fighting Ock on the train or Goblin in the graveyard.

There is hope for him though as I though the action in X1 outright sucked but Singer brought his A game to X2 so character directors can up their game with action with enough prep tme.
Singer certainly staged two spectacular action scenes (Nightcrawler in the White House and raiding the Mansion), though the last half of the film left a lot to be desired. I hope Webb can keep building upon each fight scene with the last one being the best most memorable.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #242
mayo23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanGordon View Post
I thought Webb did a pretty stellar job with his action direction. The swinging sequences were incredible, the sewer fight (though I wish it lasted longer) was awesome as was the school fight. Hell the fight on Oscorp Tower was awesome too. Not sure where people are finding complaints. I do agree that the idea of a complete CG character can take people out of it though and I'd attribute your issues to that before blaming Webb's direction.
It's hard to pinpoint for me where the problem lies with Webb's action scenes. I mean they were very clearly staged, none of that shaky cam stuff...but I suppose they lacked a certain intensity, bravado and confidence that Raimi brought to his scenes.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #243
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
It's hard to pinpoint for me where the problem lies with Webb's action scenes. I mean they were very clearly staged, none of that shaky cam stuff...but I suppose they lacked a certain intensity, bravado and confidence that Raimi brought to his scenes.
as Doug Walker aid it kinda lacked that epic climax stuff

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #244
Vid Electricz
Banned User

The action sequences were perfectly adequate and the effects were very well done (aside from the part with Stan Lee in the library which looked like a cartoon to me).

The problem is that the action wasn't perpetuated by the story. There was never a real strong sense of tension or danger. It was more like: "Well, it's been a while, the kids are probably getting bored. Guess we need an action sequence right about now."
Which is exactly what the school fight felt like to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #245
mayo23
Side-Kick

It's funny you say that the action wasn't perpetuated by the story when Webb has the exact same thing, how the action shouldn't be tacked on but should serve the purpose of the story. Though what can you say, he didn't write the script.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #246
Mr.?
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I get the idea of what the cashier said, sure I do...but if anyone thinks Peter is written in a "real way", then they're just smoking some good stuff...no one would decide to not help someone out just because a cashier made a joke about someone's parents that are dead, or at least I wouldn't be someone that wouldn't help someone out.
I absolutely would not help the guy after he acted like a douche to me, Ide think of it as karma. But I'm 24 years old, we're talking about a 17 year old kid. A 17 year old kid who is finding out more about his father who he feel abandoned him, has just discovered he now has super powers, got in trouble at school, trying to get together with a girl, put his aunt in harms way by not picking her up, and just got in a vicious argument with his uncle. His emotions are all twisted up at that point and the prick cashier seemed to go out of his way to piss him off more. Why would anyone put themselves in harms way for that guy? Peter had other things on his mind at that point and helping the douche bag wasnt one of them.

In my opinion it was a completely logical and realistic response of the situation how Peter handled it.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #247
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.? View Post
I absolutely would not help the guy after he acted like a douche to me, Ide think of it as karma. But I'm 24 years old, we're talking about a 17 year old kid. A 17 year old kid who is finding out more about his father who he feel abandoned him, has just discovered he now has super powers, got in trouble at school, trying to get together with a girl, put his aunt in harms way by not picking her up, and just got in a vicious argument with his uncle. His emotions are all twisted up at that point and the prick cashier seemed to go out of his way to piss him off more. Why would anyone put themselves in harms way for that guy? Peter had other things on his mind at that point and helping the douche bag wasnt one of them.

In my opinion it was a completely logical and realistic response of the situation how Peter handled it.

Yes, Peter's reaction and him not helping the cashier was a perfectly realistic response for a selfish, immature kid wrapped up in his own problems.

How is that even a point of contention? After his uncle is killed, he realizes that he must use his gifts for the betterment of others, not himself. That's the point of Spider-Man.

As for the execution of how his uncle was killed, well, that's a different story...

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #248
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.? View Post
I absolutely would not help the guy after he acted like a douche to me, Ide think of it as karma.
Wouldn't karma hit you just as hard if you didn't help someone who was just robbed then?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #249
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I think that's it, the action scenes lacked intensity. The train fight and graveyard fighst felt like they had weight and stakes where as the school and Oscorp tower fight felt less urgent (to me). Bottom for me is I was way more engaged with the drama than the action. I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing, just that that is how I felt watching the movie.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #250
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The action sequences were perfectly adequate and the effects were very well done (aside from the part with Stan Lee in the library which looked like a cartoon to me).

The problem is that the action wasn't perpetuated by the story. There was never a real strong sense of tension or danger. It was more like: "Well, it's been a while, the kids are probably getting bored. Guess we need an action sequence right about now."
Which is exactly what the school fight felt like to me.

Closed Thread