Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Still a bit confusing but I got the gist. Thanks It'll help in my next reread of the book. The only thing I don't like about reading Morrison's Final Crisis stuff is that there's an obvious link to the Superman mini with the Legion, as he goes from the Superman Beyond mini back to Earth and then randomly shows up in the future again with Brainiac w/hair.
It's no problem, I have massively enjoyed most of Morrison's work in the DCU, particularly his modern stuff. I enjoy helping others with it as he often relies on details that can be missed, particularly in Final Crisis, which is a pretty disjointed book made worse by incompetent editorial, like you said Legion of 3 Worlds doesn't even actually fit within the Final Crisis continuity.

Quote:
Another question... what did that symbol that people painted on their faces, on the Earth (Ray's light... or something?), and Bruce's cave have to do with saving people? I know it somehow blocked the Anti-Life Equation but how? Black Lightening just sorta had the symbol, gave it to the Tatoo Man, and boom! it worked. Was that ever explained properly and I missed it?
The symbol was a letter of New Genesis. The letter means "freedom" and just like the Anti-Life equation, taps into the subconscious of all life and frees them from it. IIRC it's explained in Final Crisis: Submit, a one shot by Grant Morrison, but I think the same scene is in the main story.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

so batman 17 leaked

MEGA SPOILERS
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
no one is hurt
batman tells joker he'll never kill him
joker 'dies' ambiguously like owlman

im not so offended after all

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Did we expect anything else? Death of the Family had been extremely run of the mill so far so a lacklustre ending was appropriate.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

funny how so many people consider batman to be the book that 'matters' ~_^

meanwhile damian is gonna die next issue over in batman inc.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Read it. It was a good issue, but not nearly as big as it was built up to be. I liked the flashback part.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Inc is where it's at, as far as deaths go.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #32
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Must... avoid... reading... spoilers.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

found it...

wow, that final issue made that arc even more pointless than it already was. "The be all, end-all Joker story", my ass.

If anything it ruined the Joker. Another ambiguous death for him, like we've never have seen that before. This story had no balls...

Very forgettable.

I'm scared for Inc. to give me something worthwhile, because that means someone I like very much... will die.

Snyder tried to hard and doesn't have anything to show for it. Sucks, because I really like Black Mirror and enjoyed Owls. He needs to rebound with this Riddler arc badly. Go back to that slow burn, dramatic noir storytelling. Don't go for the thrills and excitement of action and shock.

Why did the flashback in this issue reflect Ledger scars, when in the past issues during this arc Joker had his normal smile?

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R

Last edited by antsman41; 02-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #34
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
Why did the flashback in this issue reflect Ledger scars, when in the past issues during this arc Joker had his normal smile?
maybe it's before the end of batman rip but after joker's face is cut in morrison's run. maybe snyder is giving a reason for the lack of joker's reaction to bruce's face in RIP. not that it's necessary.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

When was Joker's face cut off again (other than the end of the ****** Detective issue), in Morrison/Snyder continuity?

Last I remember, (not counting stupid New 52 Tec) Joker got shot in the forehead in Son Of Batman, then sliced the corner of his lips in RIP.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R

Last edited by antsman41; 02-11-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
cryptic name
No Limits

Not gonna read the spoilers, looking forward to reading the book Wednesday and even more interested in the next arc, Snyder's take on Riddler piques my interest and ever since he mentioned on Fatman on Batman that the next arc would involve blimps in Gotham I've been stoked.
I like Inc. a lot, sad it's ending. I've settled into a place where both Snyder and Morrison provide me different things and I feel no need to pit them against each other.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #37
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I read the spoilers and I have to say, sounds disappointing.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #38
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

i liked it

Better Call Saul
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #39
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I read the spoilers. I'm not disappointed, since the whole arc has been so bland until now. It's consistent with Snyder's work since night of owls really. Can't wait for him to leave Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
This isn't to blame Cavill, but Goyer and Snyder, Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. Superman doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. He just seems to be there because he's pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #40
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm not reading the spoiler, but in regards to the rest of the arc... it has been a bit of a disappointment for me, only because it's about Joker's attacking Bruce's family... and we barely see it. That's all left to tie-ins that I'm not really reading. I feel that if we could see that in the main story it would have really helped improve the arc. This story was not an event, it was an arc. Add maybe 1 or 2 more issues to make room for Joker taking on the Bat family and this would have been more interesting.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #41
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

that would be part of my concern too actually. Also, some tie-ins (mainly B&R) are better than the real arc.

Quote:
This isn't to blame Cavill, but Goyer and Snyder, Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. Superman doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. He just seems to be there because he's pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #42
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
that would be part of my concern too actually. Also, some tie-ins (mainly B&R) are better than the real arc.
I think the first issue of B&R was superb but the second was sorta cookie cutter. Nightwing's has been phenominal though. That's all I've read.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Batgirl has been subpar. Red hood is kinda interesting. Didn't get to read the red robin issues.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #44
Maximus One
Oddball

I've thought Detective, Batgirl, Red Hood, Nightwing, Teen Titans and even Suicide Squad have all been nice tie ins.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #45
RustyCage
Come what may..

Just popping in to say: 17 was awesome.

Irrational haters gonna hate irrationally.

Mini-review:

I liked it (a lot) for what it was. Making an impact didn't require them to shove a literal death gimmick down my throat -- especially one that everyone was expecting anyway. The consequences of this event are more subtle and fundamental emotionally.

Death is one thing, but limping on after brushing with it and having your heart bruised is quite another. Compared to that, munching popcorn and waiting to see who dies is boring to me. I'd rather be surprised.

This is why I'm glad Jason didn't stay dead after the original murdering of him way back.

Batman #17 took the classy, more interesting route. It left us with a haunting cliffhanger on at least 3 different notes, so the Joker got his laugh one way or another. And it also delivered a warm, charming moment with Alfred which I found to be a refreshing tie-off to all the tension before.

Now we're left to see how everyone copes... The foundations of the family are shaken. I find the title of the arc to be appropriate.

And of course, this is some of the most iconic Batman art around right now. Several of these panels/pages are gonna stick with me.

Snyder gets the tone and psychology that I find is lacking in most of the other books - same for Capullo.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #46
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post

Mini-review:

I liked it (a lot) for what it was. Making an impact didn't require them to shove a literal death gimmick down my throat -- especially one that everyone was expecting anyway. The consequences of this event are more subtle and fundamental emotionally.

Death is one thing, but limping on after brushing with it and having your heart bruised is quite another. Compared to that, munching popcorn and waiting to see who dies is boring to me. I'd rather be surprised.

This is why I'm glad Jason didn't stay dead after the original murdering of him way back.

Batman #17 took the classy, more interesting route. It left us with a haunting cliffhanger on at least 3 different notes, so the Joker got his laugh one way or another. And it also delivered a warm, charming moment with Alfred which I found to be a refreshing tie-off to all the tension before.

Now we're left to see how everyone copes... The foundations of the family are shaken. I find the title of the arc to be appropriate.

And of course, this is some of the most iconic Batman art around right now. Several of these panels/pages are gonna stick with me.

Snyder gets the tone and psychology that I find is lacking in most of the other books - same for Capullo.
I don't get why

the whole bat-family is blowing him off all of a sudden. seems weird, they've been through worse than this.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #47
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post

Mini-review:

I like how we don't have the right not to like something without being called irrational haters. Speak about an open mind....

Regardless, your mini review is interesting.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #48
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

They're currently going through said worse in Batman Incorporated.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #49
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
I like how we don't have the right not to like something without being called irrational haters. Speak about an open mind....

Regardless, your mini review is interesting.
You say 'we' as if I were necessarily accusing you. I've just been witness to a lot of irrational hate, that's all. Doesn't mean you, or even anyone here. I'm not aware of your opinion specifically since I'm not a regular around this thread.

Most of the freak out I saw was on 4chan.

Not sure if some will consider this a spoiler, but:

I do have a couple of nitpicks -- like the way Batman says a number of obvious things as if the viewer isn't capable of picking it up from the visuals. But, frankly, even Christopher Nolan has this problem with Batman's dialogue.

They feel like he has to be saying something or the scene is empty. I disagree. I prefer a quieter Batman that speaks with his presence. Sometimes no dialogue says even more.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #50
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
I don't get why

the whole bat-family is blowing him off all of a sudden. seems weird, they've been through worse than this.
I'm not clear on just how much each of them has been through since the 'reboot' to compare. The vagueness might be room enough.

For Jason, I imagine it was a painful reminder, dug up an old ghost he had buried. For Damian, it was probably unsettling considering that sort of angle. Dick just seems exhausted and depressed, but he still ultimately trusts Bruce (they classically have a sort of edge to their friendship where Dick starts doubting him now and then, but tries to smile and understand anyway). Not sure how to read Barb.

The suggestions Joker made were pretty heavy, and Bruce seemed to play into what Joker was illustrating to a degree. It's left a bit ambiguous for them. And then next thing they know, they're trying to tear each other apart in a raving mess.

After going through all that - even thinking their faces were sliced off at one point - I doubt they were ready to talk about it..

I'm sure the echoes of what happened here will be expanded upon in coming issues as well. Snyder likes cliffhangers. (So do I.)