Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #351
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I didn't expect you to.

However, though I would enjoy seeing you explode...

This is the part that won me over.
haha, I'm glad. I wasn't sure if it was clever, or if was it was a sign that I had gone crazy from the quibbling. (tbh, i'm still not sure...)

Anyway, I hear there's a new Superman movie coming out this summer! We should start a thread...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #352
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Anyway, I hear there's a new Superman movie coming out this summer! We should start a thread...
Haha post of the week

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #353
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

According to Writers Guild of America, a person is given story credits (same for screenplay -script writing credits) if his contribution is significant and above a certain percentage of the completed draft. (I am not sure how much .)

So, in the case of TDK -

Writing credits (WGA)

Screenplay -
Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan.

Story -
Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer.

For TDKR -

Screenplay -

Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan.

Story -

Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer.

For Man of Steel -

Screenplay -
David S. Goyer.

Story -
David S. Goyer & Christopher Nolan.

Marginal contributions to Story and Screenplay are Not considered for giving credits according to WGA practices and guidelines.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #354
fanboiii
disciple of truth

There's doubt Nolan contributed to the story? MOS came up as when Nolan and Goyer were working on TDKR. I don't think Nolan would shepherd a project by nodding at everything Goyer said. They talked about it and fleshed out the story.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #355
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Some think that Nolan did not actually contribute anything to the story, it was Goyer all the way. Nolan did write some part of the story.

Then there are some who think that Nolan is producer in name only, just like Steven Spielberg was an Executive Producer for Transformer movies.

It's like these people are going out of their way to disregard anything that is related to Nolan and just credit Goyer and Snyder.

The fact is, Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas are both producers (along-with Deborah Snyder) are Producers for MOS. Nolan is not an Executive Producer (which is producer only in name.)

MOS is still director Zack Snyder's movie as Nolan has not interfered with the movie in any way.

Snyder is a great visual director who can get good performances from all his actors.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #356
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some think that Nolan did not actually contribute anything to the story, it was Goyer all the way. Nolan did write some part of the story.
Depends on which Nolan. There were rumors that the third act was in trouble and Jonah Nolan, not Chris, gave a pass at it, as did the 300 writer.

Quote:
Then there are some who think that Nolan is producer in name only, just like Steven Spielberg was an Executive Producer for Transformer movies.
That's exactly what he is. During the process of writing the story of Rises with Goyer, the discussion shifted to Superman, and Nolan was so impressed with Goyer's idea of a modern, post 9/11 Superman, that he gave the president of WB a call and pitch that idea. And since WB was looking to make a Superman film anyways, due to their legal entanglements, a film was gonna happen with or without Nolan and Goyer. But having Nolan on board wouldn't hurt. He is on board (willingly or not) simply to lend his good name with the general public, and reading the dumb comments on Youtube, it seems to be working. He certainly didn't have an active role beyond that phone call, as he himself as admitted to. Heck, he never even met the lead of the film, Henry Cavil.

Quote:
The fact is, Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas are both producers (along-with Deborah Snyder) are Producers for MOS. Nolan is not an Executive Producer (which is producer only in name.)
Honestly, the definition of what an executive producer does is sort of vague and ill defined. An executive producer's role in a film varies on a case by case basis.

Quote:
It's like these people are going out of their way to disregard anything that is related to Nolan and just credit Goyer and Snyder.
I've seen more people credit Nolan for the entire endeavor than the opposite. Perhaps what you assert is a hyperbolic attempt to reinsert balance to the credits of the production.

And yet, is it hyperbole? From what I've read Nolan, that is Chris Nolan, has had nothing to do with the film other than a persuasive phone call to pitch a concept on a film that was happening anyway and lending (with or without his consent) his name as a "producer". A producer who has never been on the set of the film he is "producing" and has never met the lead actor.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #357
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
According to Writers Guild of America, a person is given story credits (same for screenplay -script writing credits) if his contribution is significant and above a certain percentage of the completed draft...

Marginal contributions to Story and Screenplay are Not considered for giving credits according to WGA practices and guidelines.
And as I understand it, the WGA is especially stingy when it comes to granting “executives” (producers/directors) a writing credit. They have to be responsible for at least 50% of the screenplay (i.e., actual writing). So, for example, a 40% re-write (a decent contribution) gets them zero credit.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #358
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
That's exactly what he is. During the process of writing the story of Rises with Goyer, the discussion shifted to Superman, and Nolan was so impressed with Goyer's idea of a modern, post 9/11 Superman, that he gave the president of WB a call and pitch that idea. And since WB was looking to make a Superman film anyways, due to their legal entanglements, a film was gonna happen with or without Nolan and Goyer. But having Nolan on board wouldn't hurt. He is on board (willingly or not) simply to lend his good name with the general public, and reading the dumb comments on Youtube, it seems to be working. He certainly didn't have an active role beyond that phone call, as he himself as admitted to. Heck, he never even met the lead of the film, Henry Cavil.
The story was that Goyer went to Nolan and said he had an idea about "how to approach Superman." They then collaborated to flesh out the story. Nolan used his pull in order to pitch it to execs. He signed on as producer then. He was involved with the production long enough to hire Snyder. He and Snyder have said they met before anyone was hired. If Nolan were producer in name only, he wouldn't even have done that. Once Snyder was hired is when the line about "handing it off" started getting thrown around.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #359
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Yup, casting is up to the director and Nolan left all the directorial responsibilities to Snyder so of course Nolan wouldn't need to meet with Cavill. Nolan was involved in pre-production.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #360
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
They then collaborated to flesh out the story.
Where did the "fleshing out" come from? The concept was entirely Goyer's. Which when brought to Nolan's attention as they were discussing Batman impressed him enough to give WB a call. After which Goyer and Goyer alone was tasked to write a screenplay. Which was then taken fine tuned by Jonah Nolan and the 300 writer. Chris Nolan is nowhere to be found.

Quote:
He was involved with the production long enough to hire Snyder
Yes, he helped them find a director. But that's the bare minimum, the bare minimum of a producers job. True producers don't leave the production after hiring a director.

Quote:
He and Snyder have said they met before anyone was hired.
They met once for lunch/dinner to discuss Snyder's prospects of Superman; he divulged Goyer's ideas which impressed Snyder enough to jump on board.

Quote:
If Nolan were producer in name only, he wouldn't even have done that
That's exactly what a producer in name only would do. Meet the true producers and the director and never show up after at all.

Quote:
Once Snyder was hired is when the line about "handing it off" started getting thrown around.
A true producer is on the set as much as the director. A producer in name only buggers off after the conceptual stage and never even meets the cast and crew.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #361
Denish
Side-Kick

It's funny that The Amazing Spiderman 2 started filming a week ago and has more pictures out than Mos

Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #362
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Mos has two teasers and a trailer. Chill

Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #363
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Mos has two teasers and a trailer. Chill
Yeah, because it comes out in 4 months..With Mos we had to wait a year for something,not including the first vault pic ( that they released only because they had to film outside with Superman and they wanted to reveal it first before some stolen picture )

Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #364
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

I don't even care anymore. I've given up on stills or whatever. Bring on trailer #3 and after that the movie itself! Less than 4 months to go....

Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #365
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
I don't even care anymore. I've given up on stills or whatever. Bring on trailer #3 and after that the movie itself! Less than 4 months to go....
I'm with you..I was just highlighting a fact But what gives me hope is thinking what we had with BB and TDK, that had to be pushed more than TDKR, and we had a ton of pictures..I still remember in may 2008, one day, I opened a film site, and WB released 40, 40 new pictures for TDK..maybe this will happen sometime with MOS..They have yet to show White, Jonathan, Lois..you know

Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #366
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Exactly.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #367
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where did the "fleshing out" come from? The concept was entirely Goyer's. Which when brought to Nolan's attention as they were discussing Batman impressed him enough to give WB a call. After which Goyer and Goyer alone was tasked to write a screenplay. Which was then taken fine tuned by Jonah Nolan and the 300 writer. Chris Nolan is nowhere to be found.
In the articles I've seen, Goyer is usually saying "we" rather than "I" when talking about this take on Superman. As things stand, Nolan has a "story" credit. I don't know about you, but he's never struck me as the kind of guy who would insist on getting credit just for making a phone call.

Quote:
A true producer is on the set as much as the director. A producer in name only buggers off after the conceptual stage and never even meets the cast and crew.
Different producers conduct themselves in different ways. There's no real set of requirements (especially if there are multiple producers).

After Snyder came on board, I agree, Nolan was pretty much hands off. I think some of that has to do with his respect for the film making process, but he was also neck deep in TDKR at the time. He has said that once he was done with that, he'd "be there for whatever Zack wants from [him]".

I very much think this is Snyder's (and Goyer's) movie. Whether it ends up being amazing or total crap, it's on them. I just think Nolan did more with the story than you seem to believe. Broad strokes, at least. Even if he just acted as a sounding board for Goyer to bounce ideas off of, or offer suggestions of the general structure of the story, that's not insignificant.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #368
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Chris Nolan has stated that he was impressed by Donner's Superman The Movie when he was young and the fact that Donner had a great star cast for the movie.

He also said that this was in his mind when thinking about MOS, so to me it is clear that Nolan brought in few of the well known actors in MOS (like Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner.)

Also the fact that Hans Zimmer is doing the score for MOS (who has done many scores for Nolan's movies), who had some years ago expressed his reluctance to score in a Superman movie saying something like - "I don't know how can anyone do a better score then John Williams".

All this coupled with the fact that Nolan has story credits and he is the producer, shows that he is lot more involved than some think.

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 02-19-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #369
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Chris Nolan has stated that he was impressed by Donner's Superman The Movie when he was young and the fact that Donner had a great star cast for the movie.

He also said that this was in his mind when thinking about MOS, so to me it is clear that Nolan brought in few of the well known actors in MOS (like Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner.)

Also the fact that Hans Zimmer is doing the score for MOS (who has done many scores for Nolan's movies), who had some years ago expressed his reluctance to score in a Superman movie saying something like - "I don't know how can anyone do a better score then John Williams".

All this coupled with the fact that Nolan has story credits and he is the producer, shows that he is lot more involved than some think.
Yup. He said that it had been a long long time since the world had been introduced to a superhero tale of such magnitude that was Donner's original Superman film! He wanted to make a batman film that had the same huge epic feel, and, like with Superman, had an A-list cast to back it up with. He wanted to treat batman just as serious as Donner did with Superman (for its time).... Nolan did it! Let's hope that Snyders MOS will redefine the word "epic" - with a little help from his friends ;-) !

Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #370
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Yes, and on the subject of MOS, he said something like -" we know what works for us (Batman Begins origin template.) , the only way that should be followed (using the big star cast in the origin movie like STM.) we are doing that for MOS."

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #371
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
In the articles I've seen, Goyer is usually saying "we" rather than "I" when talking about this take on Superman.
"We' could mean his invisible script doctors (Jonah and Kurt), and Snyder, not Chris himself.

Quote:
As things stand, Nolan has a "story" credit. I don't know about you, but he's never struck me as the kind of guy who would insist on getting credit just for making a phone call.
But what about his helpers Jonathon Nolan and Kurt Johnstad? Are they receiving any credit for their help in the third act? As you can see, they are being entirely not very truthful as to who is or is not writing this film. Nolan's story credit could be just as honorary as his producer credit. I don't think Nolan is so saintly as to refuse that.

Quote:

You have absolutely no proof that Nolan had any hand whatsoever in casting these great names. Zack Snyder couldn't cast these actors himself (with the help of his own casting director)? I am sure Snyder understands that these Superhero films need to be supported by established actors as much as Nolan did. Did Marc Webb need any help securing Paul fricking Giamatti to play a character in Amazing Spider-man 2? Paul is as great as they come. Did Bryan Singer need help casting Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart to play characters in his X-men films? Did they need Nolan? We know great actors flock to Superhero films with or without Nolan. It is an attractive career prospect.

Let's give Snyder more credit than this shall we?

Quote:
Hans Zimmer is a workaholic who works on a lot of stuff. He isn't exclusively a Nolan film scorer like John Williams has been for Spielberg in the last decade or so.

Here are some other things he has been working on since Rises:

The Bible (TV mini series)

The Lone Ranger

Rush

Winter's Tale

And absolutely none of the above involves Nolan. Can it not be that Zack cast him out of his own free will based on what he thought MOS should sound musically without having anything to do with Nolan? Because as I have established, Zimmer isn't a Nolan guy, Zimmer is a Zimmer guy who works on a lot of movies.

Quote:
None of these elements prove Nolan's involvement beyond name value. None of these elements prove that Nolan has anything more to do than lend his good name and possibly the small but sweet check that comes with it.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #372
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Nothing you've said proves he hasn't, either. The story credit is actually more substantial evidence then anything you're offering up.

The thing is, I don't even completely disagree with you. I think Snyder deserves much of the credit for how this movie turns out. I just think you're underestimating Nolan's part in the early stages of its conception.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #373
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
None of these elements prove Nolan's involvement beyond name value. None of these elements prove that Nolan has anything more to do than lend his good name and possibly the small but sweet check that comes with it.
It’s clear as day why WB would want Nolan’s name all over MOS. But it’s less obvious why Nolan, himself, would - unless he’s reasonably invested in the project.

Nolan has never produced a movie that he didn’t also direct. He’s also a very powerful figure in Hollywood (and at WB) - and doesn’t seem to be wanting for work or money. In any case, he very likely could have pocketed a small check (actually, a pretty large one) as a behind-the-scenes/uncredited “consultant.” That way, if MOS sucks, it doesn’t directly tarnish his or Syncopy’s name. But this isn’t the case. So one might suppose an involvement that’s a bit more than “producer in name only.”

Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #374
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

An origin to an origin story: maybe three and a half years ago, Goyer and Nolan went down with a bout of writers block on The Dark Knight Rises, so they decided to take a week's break. Goyer distracted himself by reading old Superman comics and found himself jotting ideas down. Just a paragraph or two on how he might refashion the Man of Tomorrow for a modern world. "Ultimately that approach became the film", he says. When they reconvened and Nolan had asked if he'd made any progress with the Dark Knight, Goyer had to come clean. "I said, "No, but I came up with a take for Superman!"". Right then and there Nolan called Jeff Robinov, President of Warner Bros. Pictures Group. "David just pitched me a new take on Superman," Nolan announced into his Batphone. "you should hear it." A week later it was happening, to the tune of 225 million.

So there, absolutely nothing about Nolan helping Goyer with a story. Goyer came up with it on his own. Nolan just pitched it.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #375
theShape
Creature of Darkness

I just don't understand what WB is doing with the marketing at this point. I know that this is the "quiet" period and that things will really heat up soon, but they should be doing something to keep the buzz going.

Why aren't we getting Twitter updates from Snyder about the project? Why didn't WB have Snyder do something similar to what Marc Webb is doing with TASM2? (a completely spoiler-free set picture every week) Also, cat's out of the bag with Zod. Why not even one awesome still shot for him? Nolan gave us an early still of Bane about a year before the release of TDKR. Say what you want about Bane, but at least people were talking about him (and aware of him) well before the film's release. The airplane prologued definitely helped as well. Despite Zod having been in Superman II, let's be honest...he's not exactly the most recognizable or iconic villain. Hardly anyone in the GA will remember him...unless WB shoves him in our face a little bit.

Don't get me started on the fact that we haven't gotten ONE truly awesome still shot of Superman (not counting that photoshopped promotional art).