More like TDK (darker more realistic tone) 5 8.47%
Middle of the road (drama with colourful elements) 47 79.66%
Other 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default The tone/mood for ASM2

You seen TDK/TDKR and you've seen the Avengers, two movies on opposite ends of the spectrum. One movie plays it absolute straight, like a drama that 'happens' to have a superhero and the other movie completely embraces it's comic roots, plays it big, broad and colourful.

To me ASM fell pretty much in the middle, for the most part it played it straight with drama and tension but on the other hand there was a giant lizard running around New York, so with the sequel with regards to tone do you want the movie to move more towards the Avengers, i.e. go bigger, broader and more colourful or do you want it to go more towards TDK, darker, more drama more realism?

I'm curious.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Default Re: The tone/mood for ASM2

Not darker.

For some reason Spidey films go from drama to melodrama, and all it takes is a scene that's too heavy handed. Just one scene. Both Webb and Raimi are guilty of allowing this to happen. Yes, Peter should have problems and obstacles, but they shouldn't dictate the tone of the whole film. I'm cautiously optimistic because of how they left the characters in ASM. He looked hopeful.

So I say take it the other way this time: have the tone more akin to Avengers, but have the bad guy more grounded, as in, have a bad guy actually on set and use CGI to enhance his electrical powers/horn.

Eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I want them to embrace the darker realistic elements of the movie because if I'm honest these are the scenes that had me engaged when I was watching the movie. When the Lizard shows up I found myself checking out/less engaged.

So for me I want the movie to lean more towards the realistic and have a 'human' vilian that is enhance with CG.
There are more than enough 'colourful' superhero movies to satisfy the geek community.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

I don't necessarily want colourful. And you can have a realistic 'feel-good' element to the film. I agree about the Lizard. I said as much in my last post. My point is, things don't have to be dark and brooding 24/7 to be realistic and grounded.

Eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

I'd say, keep the tone of the previous film visually.
But I'd like the dialogue to be more light hearted, have Spidey even more quipping, allow Emma to embrace her comedic talent a bit more etc.

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!
DerSpider-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
But I'd like the dialogue to be more light hearted, have Spidey even more quipping, allow Emma to embrace her comedic talent a bit more etc.
Sounds good.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I could live with that.
Almost like you are taking the colourful, comical Spider-Man and placing him in the real world.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Like the tone in SM2,Sad moments mixed with fun elements

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ I really liked the tone of Spider-Man 2 as well.

But for TAS-M 2...I think they need to lessen the "dark" from the first film, make it lighter, but not have any cheesy moments such as that football post being bent.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Keep the tone of TASM. I loved it. If they went a little darker with it (especially if it is the death of Gwen), then I'm fine with that.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
^ I really liked the tone of Spider-Man 2 as well.

But for TAS-M 2...I think they need to lessen the "dark" from the first film, make it lighter, but not have any cheesy moments such as that football post being bent.
I think I agree with this. Not lessen it too much though, as some elements should be very dark (Norman, Green Goblin if he's there, Harry etc.). But I want some more daylight action, some more fun action and some more TSSM feeling. But there should be darkness and drama as well of course, but let Spidey have some fun as well.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM2.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
Keep the tone of TASM. I loved it. If they went a little darker with it (especially if it is the death of Gwen), then I'm fine with that.
Gwen Stacy's death doesn't need to be extraordinarily dark, though. Ben's death, Captain Stacy's death...they were portrayed absolutely fine and they both really hurt Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I think I agree with this. Not lessen it too much though, as some elements should be very dark (Norman, Green Goblin if he's there, Harry etc.). But I want some more daylight action, some more fun action and some more TSSM feeling. But there should be darkness and drama as well of course, but let Spidey have some fun as well.
I think they could get away with it if Norman and Harry aren't too dark for the film, but for Green Goblin...he could be way different than Raimi's version and still not be too dark. If I had to think, I would have to say Green Goblin should be a mixture of a lunatic and a genius as well, so his actions can be dark, but not into the territory where it's any darker than where TAS-M went.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

I say keep the tone sunny and optimistic and music-y, so as to milk that exciting, summery "lead-up to graduation" feel for all it's worth. That way when Gwen dies at the end, it'll hit 100 times as hard. I'm positive Gwen dies in this. The inherent tragedy of "she died just as she was about to graduate" is just too great to waste. And they'll want to give this film some REAL impact so that people can get over the fact that the 1st film was "just another origin story".

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Gwen Stacy's death doesn't need to be extraordinarily dark, though. Ben's death, Captain Stacy's death...they were portrayed absolutely fine and they both really hurt Peter.

They were. They where excellent. I agree. I don't want the tone of the film lighter basically. I want it at the level of TASM.

Last edited by Smegger56; 02-12-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
Not darker.

For some reason Spidey films go from drama to melodrama, and all it takes is a scene that's too heavy handed. Just one scene. Both Webb and Raimi are guilty of allowing this to happen. Yes, Peter should have problems and obstacles, but they shouldn't dictate the tone of the whole film. I'm cautiously optimistic because of how they left the characters in ASM. He looked hopeful.

So I say take it the other way this time: have the tone more akin to Avengers, but have the bad guy more grounded, as in, have a bad guy actually on set and use CGI to enhance his electrical powers/horn.
I lol'd

Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I just want to see Spider-Man swinging in the daytime. It made sense in TASM because I figured he went to school by day, and went after his Uncle's killer at night.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Then how does it make sense in the sequel if he's still in high school for all as we know?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Then how does it make sense in the sequel if he's still in high school for all as we know?
They can have Spider-Man fighting crime during the day, which has an impact on his high school life. More of Peter being late to classes, or missing them entirely, grades dropping, etc.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
They can have Spider-Man fighting crime during the day, which has an impact on his high school life. More of Peter being late to classes, or missing them entirely, grades dropping, etc.
it seems he arrives late for class very often in the ending of the first movie, could mean that time passed while he broke up with Gwen and the end of the movie

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Grievous
Miss Me?

I want a good feel movie that gets serious at times but in the end still has a pretty good. No over the top dark drama, or so much happy that you can't take the film seriously.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Spider-Man 2.

THIS time...let's have something different, yah?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
Grievous
Miss Me?

Yeah I don't want to see Peter's life falling apart cause he can't handle being a student/boyfriend/and superhero all at once. They need to take Spidey's life in a different approach this time around. Cause if I go to the theater and see Peter say ''I can't handle all this at once.'' I'm gonna shake my head and say this is Spider-Man 2 all over again.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
mayo23
Side-Kick

Wouldn't that be Spider-man in general rather than Spider-man 2? Well except despite all that he doesn't quit being Spider-man.

mayo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
Grievous
Miss Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
Wouldn't that be Spider-man in general rather than Spider-man 2? Well except despite all that he doesn't quit being Spider-man.
While the I can't handle all this has come up in the comics and tv shows, it isn't all that Spidey is about. As for the Raimi films only S-M2 really brought up the idea that Peter should just live a normal life. I think people would of got sick of Spidey if in every comic or tv episode he just complained about not having enough time. It's good for a few stories but all the time and everytime? No

Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

I thought the tone in the first movie was brilliant. One of my favorite scenes in SM2 is when Peter stops the train and almost falls, then the passengers hold him up and bring him back inside. Add music from Danny Elfman and you have, IMO, one of the greatest scenes in comic book movie history.

What made that scene so good was the tone and mood through the movie. You were so emotionally invested in the character that you almost felt what he was going through and what he's trying to accomplish. I hope Webb can do something similar in TASM2.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote