More like TDK (darker more realistic tone) 5 8.47%
Middle of the road (drama with colourful elements) 47 79.66%
Other 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #26
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The tone/mood for ASM2

^^ Ironically, the score for that scene was Christopher Young, not Elfman. Elfman wrote a great piece for that (you can find it on youtube), but for some reason Raimi had Young redo it. Just a little piece of trivia there.

But yeah, I think the tone of this movie needs to kind of be in the inverse of Spider-Man 2. Spidey 2 starts off with Peter very downtrodden and the tone is kind of heavy throughout, until there's finally this huge cathartic happy ending.

With TASM2, as said, they should go for a more upbeat tone throughout. Keep the drama and stakes high, but have Peter able to keep himself grounded emotionally due to his blossoming relationship with Gwen. Dangle the graduation carrot and have that as something Peter and Gwen are looking forward to (college, pursuing their dreams, freedom, etc.). And then hit hard towards the end and build towards a gut-wrenching, tragic ending.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #27
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Keep the tone consistant from the first movie. It would seem weird kind of changing the tone to either really way darker or way lighter. Keep it feeling really modern, that what seperated it from Raimi's. But just introduce more diverse character humor and continue to make it a comic book movie of this day like the previous. For that reason, I would say closer to The Avengers. It had a lot of humor but a ton of action as well.

WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #28
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Middle ground is best
Spider-Man and his villains should not be realistic, most things around them should

EDIT: Oscorp computers should be as futuristic as they are

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 02-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #29
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
Wouldn't that be Spider-man in general rather than Spider-man 2? Well except despite all that he doesn't quit being Spider-man.
We didn't see him having problems at school in Spider-Man:TAS and TSSM. So, it can happen for him to not be failing classes and what not, let alone he's doing just fine in Spider-Man 3. Him failing grades and missing classes in the sequel would be too much of an odd thing when the last sequel of a Spidey film had Peter failing grades and missing classes.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #30
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, they absolutely can't go the route of Peter feeling the weight of too many responsibilities and failing to balance his two lives. They're set up to go a different way, cause in SM2 MJ didn't understand why Peter was such a flake and it created more tension.

For this one, Peter and Gwen will presumably be happy together, and they've already been through a lot. Their lives should be on the upswing, at least at first.

I'm curious as to where MJ comes in though.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #31
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

I think MJ will have an affection for Peter and Gwen's gonna be jealous, not a straight up love triangle

TheWallCrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #32
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

For me the bottom line line is they concentrate on the emtional core and not try to 'out do' Avengers and TDKR with genre set pieces. I'm also pretty sure X:first class 2 will have massive set pieces aswell. What I'm discovering more and more is that I am entertained by set pieces but what makes me remember a movie is the emotional core.

SM1 and 2 had a deep emotional core and they pretty much kicked it into touch so they could add more genre set pieces with villians that had been show horned into the movie. The emtional core of SM was Harry but they gave me amnesia () to put that emotional core on hold so you could see more of the disasterous Sandman and forgetable Venom. What a great choice that was.

The emotional core of ASM is Peter and the he feels is missing from his life because of the loss of parents, we'll see how much that core gets diluted as they throw super villians into the mix in a vein attempt to keep up with Avengers, a movie I thought was all style and no substance.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Spider-Man 2.

THIS time...let's have something different, yah?
Part of being Spider-Man is accepting the consequences, which means his personal life is going to affected in some way. It doesn't mean that we'll see him quitting and saying, "I'm Spider-Man No More!" But naturally we are going to see him struggle balancing his time as a superhero, a boyfriend, a high school student, and possibly a photographer.

This is just Spider-Man... its not copying Spider-Man 2. Though too many people will claim that it is another rehash so I suppose they shouldn't go in that route. Darn you critics!

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #34
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Part of being Spider-Man is accepting the consequences, which means his personal life is going to affected in some way. It doesn't mean that we'll see him quitting and saying, "I'm Spider-Man No More!" But naturally we are going to see him struggle balancing his time as a superhero, a boyfriend, a high school student, and possibly a photographer.

This is just Spider-Man... its not copying Spider-Man 2. Though too many people will claim that it is another rehash so I suppose they shouldn't go in that route. Darn you critics!
Agree. Pretty much every time Stan Lee is interviewed he uses the same example

Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Of Pete having a choice between stopping a villain or getting medicine to a sick Aunt May.

Eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
Picard Sisko

Exactly.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

A good direction is Peter can't deal with balancing his life so he takes on a sidekick (Electro) but his sidekick has no moral compass so the two of them end up battling. This is conflict, drama and an emotional core all rolled in one. The downside there is no over reaching villian that is driving the plot so the movie wont get exciting till 3rd act.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
Picard Sisko

Doc Ock didn't really drive the plot of SM2 and look how that movie turned out.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post

Darn you critics? The most simple-minded person would see how TAS-M 2 would feel like S-M 2 if it's making Peter having to struggle everything, but the only difference would be Peter has the girl this time around. Not much of a difference either to separate itself from Spider-Man 2. It's harsh to see that the films can be compared, but it's also true to see the comparisons.

If Peter isn't struggling and is balancing everything out(I mean, so far, he doesn't have a job), I would enjoy that much more. Even when Peter was late in the very end of TAS-M, he tells the teacher it won't happen again.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Darn you critics? The most simple-minded person would see how TAS-M 2 would feel like S-M 2 if it's making Peter having to struggle everything, but the only difference would be Peter has the girl this time around. Not much of a difference either to separate itself from Spider-Man 2. It's harsh to see that the films can be compared, but it's also true to see the comparisons.

If Peter isn't struggling and is balancing everything out(I mean, so far, he doesn't have a job), I would enjoy that much more. Even when Peter was late in the very end of TAS-M, he tells the teacher it won't happen again.
Peter's life should be miserable. Peter's life should be based on misery, hence the 'Peter typical luck' expression. But he rises above it in the final act.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #41
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I think this is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #42
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Peter's life will be pretty miserable regardless, if Gwen dies in this film.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #43
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Peter's life should be miserable. Peter's life should be based on misery, hence the 'Peter typical luck' expression. But he rises above it in the final act.
I will bring up TSSM when this wasn't really the case as Peter always tried to look at the brighter side of things.

Peter's life being miserable shouldn't be the status quo at all. Peter has bad luck, of course, but it kinda goes out the window, for now, when he has the girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I think this is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't...
When it comes to the reboot, yes, it's partially true, but TAS-M 2 can correct it if they go unconventional and not go down the path of what we've seen before in a live-action Spidey film.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I voted middle of the road (drama with colourful elements).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, they absolutely can't go the route of Peter feeling the weight of too many responsibilities and failing to balance his two lives. They're set up to go a different way, cause in SM2 MJ didn't understand why Peter was such a flake and it created more tension.

For this one, Peter and Gwen will presumably be happy together, and they've already been through a lot. Their lives should be on the upswing, at least at first.

I'm curious as to where MJ comes in though.
Yeah. A copy of SM2 isn't the go here. I still like the idea of Peter having an anxiety of becoming more spider than man, given he saw what happened to Connors and his lizard serum.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #45
WesMan
Banned User

I want it to have normal moments, dramatic moments, REALLY dramatic moments, INTENSE moments, light moments, and good moments.

WesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ You know what has all of those...

I think I'm gonna watch me some of TSSM later today....

Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #47
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I feel they should go slightly lighter tone but in the same ballpark as ASM, which I already feel was pretty middle of the road. For instance, on a scale from 1 - 10 on the dark/light scale (1 being Watchmen, 10 being Iron Man 2) I say ASM was already a 4 or 5. ASM2 should be a 6 or 7 considering ASM3 will probably end on a somber note.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #48
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Unless Gwen or another major character is going to die in this movie, I don't see the tone as being too different from the first one.

And I don't think Gwen will die in this movie...which leaves me to question how, if they are planning on having her die in the third film, will it make sense story-wise? It just doesn't make any sense. The death of a major character isn't something you can sneak in anywhere in a film. It's a climactic event. That's how drama works. Having Gwen die at the end of the third film seems idiotic, unless they're planning a fourth.

Ugh. This series just seems so all around poorly concieved from the get go.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #49
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

I hope not. How often does a series ever do well (critically, not box-office wise) after the third film? Not often (ever?)

I can't count James Bond as the character is constantly being reinvented with a new actor and the successive movies don't ever have anything to do with one another (CR and QoS exempted).

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
mayo23
Side-Kick

Yet as it stands, even with a plot synopsis and names of actors to play certain characters, we know absolutely nothing about this film and the extent to which these characters will be involved...

mayo23 is offline   Reply With Quote