The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite of Nolans Batfilms?
Batman Begins 54 20.00%
The Dark Knight 114 42.22%
The Dark Knight Rises 102 37.78%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #326
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Yeah no. I found it consistent and easy to follow.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #327
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0706 View Post
Didn't you guys think that the movie was a little bit...messy and all over the place?I thought that there was too much going on in it.While I love it, I think that in TDK the story was simpler and easier to follow.What do you think?
It was easy to follow for me. I love me a complex story, and TDKR did have one. It was just, as an end, something that put Bruce in a low position as he could before he could finally "rise" up and move on. Perhaps all of that being in a film hurt in the eyes of some viewers.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #328
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Which movie do you prefer? BB or TDKR?

Which movie do you prefer?

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #329
kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: Which movie do you prefer? BB or TDKR?

Batman Begins

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #330
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I have as many positives and negatives about both movies. I think I'd probly give the edge to TDKR though.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #331
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight Rises.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #332
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Why do some people act as though TDKR is objectively the weakest of the trilogy when the evidence suggests otherwise?
I see people comparing it with SM3 or IM2, when no evidence suggests that the majority prefer BB over TDKR.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #333
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

TDK is the weakest for me personally

Iron Man 2 is better than all of them though.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #334
InJustice
Side-Kick

After having watched TDK+TDKR religiously throughout 2012...I have no choice but to say that my favourite is both TDK AND TDKR. I don't really understand plot holes that people complain about in TDKR, but they sound to me like more illogical nitpicks than actual plot holes...so people shouldn't really call it a plot hole. It was simply fantastic to see how Nolan deconstructed Batman and portrayed him as simply a man that undergoes this journey to find a will to live. It will be a very long time before a director inspires Batman, the way Nolan did.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #335
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Nah, the plotholes were more than mere nitpicks.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #336
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Favorite: The Dark Knight
Least favorite: The Dark Knight Rises

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #337
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I still think TDKR is the weakest film, but my respect for it has grown in the wake of Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #338
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Favorite: The Dark Knight Rises

Least favorite and weakest: Batman Begins(but that's not saying a whole lot because I just love TDKR and TDK....BB is a great origin CBM, but it doesn't fit as much as Nolan's vision as the latter two films of the TDKTrilogy)

Quote:
Why do some people act as though TDKR is objectively the weakest of the trilogy when the evidence suggests otherwise?
I see people comparing it with SM3 or IM2, when no evidence suggests that the majority prefer BB over TDKR.
Imo, it's different if you compare TDKR to Spider-Man 3 or comparing it to Iron Man 2. Spider-Man 3 is the weakest film of its trilogy while there are people agreeing and disagreeing on IM2 being the weakest for its trilogy. I've come to actually enjoy IM2 more ever since IM3 was released.

There may be a good chunk of Batfans that don't like TDKR, and it's perfectly fine. Many liberties with TDKR that Nolan took to get an ending and some characters that was overly used for a purpose and under used as well. But what I will never get is some posters saying it's fact that TDKR is the weakest or wasn't critically acclaimed at all. It's fine if they don't like the film, but it's purely a biased view to say it's hated by all or treated as the weakest of Nolan's trilogy by all.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #339
batfreakforever
A real fan

None of the movies are weak/poor. It all comes down to personal taste. I love all 3 the same. No more. No less. I really don't understand the hate for TDKR from fans. I don't have any problems with any of the 3 films. A lot of the complaints come from "I want, I want" and not what was needed for the story Nolan wanted to tell.

I think fans just get too picky with comic book films and no matter what film-makers say for the reasons for doing things with their vision of a character it will always be wrong to some fans no matter what is said.

When comments are said like "it's not true to the core of the character" usually means to fans that the character wouldn't do that in the comics which is usually Bull.
E.g. Bruce would never stop being Batman, he would continue until his last breath. Well no he wouldn't. The whole point of Batman is to bring Gotham to a place when it's police force can do it's job correctly and Batman is not needed anymore. But we will never get to that place in the comics because the comics will never end.

In the Dark knight rises we see that place/time in Gotham and Bruce can finally move on. Keeping the LOS/mob as the main threat in the trilogy Bruce can finish off those threats for good and not having villain after villain or revolving door like Arkham in the comics .

Making Bruce the only costumed hero keeps this story simple. No costumed Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing or other hero's like superman in these films. This really is Bruce Wayne's story. Nolan kept this story really simple. No deviations or off roads. Yeah say all you want about Harvey dent or Robin john blake but those were shown to further Bruce Wayne's story/arc.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #340
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Nah, the plotholes were more than mere nitpicks.
In what way? All I've seen are people calling nitpicks, plotholes, when they really aren't.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #341
dpguy
Side-Kick

Dark Knight Rises is my favorite. I love The Dark Knight but I think it's slightly inferior to its predecessor.

My feelings about TDK are similar to Alan Moore's feelings about the Killing Joke graphic novel.

Said that "It's not saying anything very interesting.... Ultimately, at the end of the day, The Killing Joke is a story about Batman and the Joker; it isn't about anything that you're ever going to encounter in real life, because Batman and the Joker are not like any human beings that have ever lived."

Dark Knight Rises is about a lot of things: political myth making, revolution, class struggle, financial collapse, terrorism etc. All timeless themes, for the most part.

TDK just doesn't contain anything quite that weighty.

dpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #342
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Though I delineate between my favorite and least favorite if I had to choose (I haven't voted in the poll) I feel like this is one of the only trilogies where the quality of every film is close enough to one another that a strong case can be made for each as the best of the bunch. I can't really think of another trilogy that I can say this about, except maybe Jackson's Lord of the Rings. I know some will disagree obviously but I think the poll results reflect this.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #343
dpguy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Though I delineate between my favorite and least favorite if I had to choose (I haven't voted in the poll) I feel like this is one of the only trilogies where the quality of every film is close enough to one another that a strong case can be made for each as the best of the bunch. I can't really think of another trilogy that I can say this about, except maybe Jackson's Lord of the Rings. I know some will disagree obviously but I think the poll results reflect this.
Excellent point and I agree.

I'm partial to Rises just because I think there's something especially cool about turning a Charles Dickens novel into a Superhero film. And just the overall massiveness of it. Huge scenes with literally thousands of extras in an epic battle. Pretty mind blowing stuff .

dpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #344
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpguy View Post
Dark Knight Rises is about a lot of things: political myth making, revolution, class struggle, financial collapse, terrorism etc. All timeless themes, for the most part.

TDK just doesn't contain anything quite that weighty.
Terrorism, corruption, death of loved one, mental breakdown, tragedy, political symbolism are all things TDK covers and things you encounter in real life, and are as weighty as anything TDKR covers, and covers them better, too.

Here have a read of this: http://www.slashfilm.com/assessing-t...e-dark-knight/

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #345
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I really dig the first half of Rises with Bruce as the bearded, reclusive hobo coming back as Batman, only to be smashed into the ground by Bane. I love the theme that you're never really completely down and out if you never give up. His rise there was really only an illusion, as Alfred says "leading a bloated police force on a merry chase with Mr. Fox's toys." The real rise was when he feared death again and climbed out of the pit, which is one of the best moments in the series.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #346
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I really dig the first half of Rises with Bruce as the bearded, reclusive hobo coming back as Batman, only to be smashed into the ground by Bane. I love the theme that you're never really completely down and out if you never give up. His rise there was really only an illusion, as Alfred says "leading a bloated police force on a merry chase with Mr. Fox's toys." The real rise was when he feared death again and climbed out of the pit, which is one of the best moments in the series.
That's what I love about this film, even TDK didn't have anything quite as defining as this. Glad somebody else felt the same when watching it!!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #347
Hammer!
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight 9/10
Batman Begins 8.5/10
Dark Knight Rises 4.5/10

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #348
TanneRain
Bane'd User

Man, I've missed these forums.

I read this thread during a slow day at work and it prompted an immediate viewing of TDKR which I hadn't done in full in a few months.

If I'm picking my favorite film of the trilogy, TDKR wins. If I had to pick what is arguably "the best film" I'd say TDK. Begins is also very good, but I don't find myself having the urge to watch it nearly as often as I do with Rises or TDK. The films are also so different that I have a hard time criticizing one for doing something that a predecessor or successor did not do. The Dark Knight is just so thrilling and unpredictable because you have no idea what the Joker is going to do and he has no rationale that can really resonate with the normal person.

Rises just has a different scale than the other two films. It's hard to put it in words but I'm reminded of movies about the civil war or other major events in history.There are so many memorable moments for me that really define the series for myself. The sewer fight, the pit escape, the Blackgate speech, Batman's return in the tunnel and the cop line nod to TDKReturns. I was instantly captivated by the score when I first heard the early deshi basara chants in the teaser before the final Harry Potter film. These thoughts are all very cluttered right now and I'll try to expand on them later if anyone ever responds.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #349
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Just bought the trilogy boxset so re-watching all of them again over coming days. Only done Begins so far and damn its a fine film, the whole first act is epic and Waynes journey is explored and thought out so well it makes sense "why" he becomes the Batman.

Neeson is also brilliant as Raz both as mentor and adversory and is a great example of how you do a "twist" with a character.

I am starting to come round to the idea that there is no BEST one film of this trilogy and that they are all different enough to each other to argue about for hours, which is why we have these forums I guess anyway

This is the best super hero film I have watched this year, and I have seen two in the cinema so far and its nearly 10 years old, thats says a great deal to me

So then onto TDK................

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #350
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

For me it's...

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
TDKR