The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite of Nolans Batfilms?
Batman Begins 54 20.00%
The Dark Knight 114 42.22%
The Dark Knight Rises 102 37.78%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #451
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think Gordon thinking that the people should know Batman's identity was his way of seeking redemption for the Dent coverup.
I tend to think his redemption came in the form of putting the jamming device on the truck and thus helping to save the city from getting destroyed by the bomb.

Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #452
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn Fenn View Post
I tend to think his redemption came in the form of putting the jamming device on the truck and thus helping to save the city from getting destroyed by the bomb.
Oh, I totally think all his efforts as the leader of the resistance against Bane were part of his redemption.

But I think he thought they might be able really right the wrong of the coverup in a very direct way by giving Gotham it's TRUE true hero. At heart, Gordon is an honest cop so it's understandable why he'd make a pitch for that sort of transparency. But even that is trumped by his admiration and reverence for Batman. It always is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
I'm glad they didn't go the "OMG, THE WHOLE CITY FINDS OUT THAT BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN, TRUE MARTYRDOM".

I thought the martyrdom with Batman was bad enough, I hated seeing the character go the cliched route as "savior of the city". They went just short of killing him like Jesus, Neo from the Matrix, etc. I saw that coming from a mile away ever since those New York pics where the Bat was carrying the bomb though, so I wasn't surprised. The statue unveiling was the thing that surprised the hell out of me. When I witnessed that on screen, my reaction and facial expression was just like Gordon's in that scene.

You don't have Batman attend charity social functions, you don't give Batman a credit card and you most certainly don't give the GD Batman a statue.
I was very much expecting a "Batman dies, but wait he didn't!" ending and I even theorized about him getting a statue months before the movie came out too. But I considered those things because I thought it'd be fitting, so I wasn't upset that I pretty much predicted it.

What would have been your preferred ending? I mean I'm guessing you wouldn't have had Batman martyred, retire or pass the mantle so....how would you end the story?

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #453
JackWhite
Third Man

How could you not be moved when Gordon tells Blake "They know who it was; it was the Batman" and then they cut to the unveiling of the statue of Batman in his honor?

Different strokes, I guess.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #454
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlur View Post
"Because on the absolute worst night of Bruce's life, on a night when it was the hardest to fathom that life was anything less than a nightmare...a man named Jim Gordon made him believe there was still some good left in the world. And that's a belief worth fighting for."

Chills. I couldn't have said it better myself.

That is why I LOVE the reveal to Gordon in TDKR. The whole emotional weight it carries is incredibly powerful.
My favorite part of that scene to me is that it works as a thank you from Bruce/Batman to Gordon, the man who was in many ways Bruce's hero. It's also a final summation of Batman's mission statement as it relates to the people and an acknowledgement that though Batman may have inspired others, it was Gordon who first inspired Bruce to rise above the darkness. It's also Bruce/Batman's last line so it doesn't concern me that it is a bit of a mouthful.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #455
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
My favorite part of that scene to me is that it works as a thank you from Bruce/Batman to Gordon, the man who was in many ways Bruce's hero. It's also a final summation of Batman's mission statement as it relates to the people and an acknowledgement that though Batman may have inspired others, it was Gordon who first inspired Bruce to rise above the darkness. It's also Bruce/Batman's last line so it doesn't concern me that it is a bit of a mouthful.
Yup, and as such it serves as a payoff for the times in BB and TDK when Gordon tried to thank Batman but Batman wouldn't let him. This was Bruce saying, "No Jim, thank YOU."

Ugh, just so great.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #456
howl
thrash beyond death

the dark knight, hands down.

would take something special for me to award a no.1 Batman film that didn't involve the Joker.

DAMN YOU, SNYDER
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #457
titansupes
Side-Kick

Y'know, lately... I've been feeling the shift from my favourite being The Dark Knight to being The Dark Knight Rises. Not sure why.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #458
shauner111
Side-Kick

Still, Rises for me.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #459
batfreakforever
A real fan

Why do we need to have a favourite Bat-film in the trilogy. What, we can't like/enjoy them all the same. They tell different story's in this Bruce Wayne's timeline. I don't and never had a favourite Bat-film, and never will.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #460
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The thing is, the voice is so easy to make fun of, but when I drop my guard and just roll with it I find there's a surprising amount of nuance there. I can get into it.

But granted, it's parody gold. I get that too obviously.
Just to be clear, I don't hate the voice in general.. it just hasn't been consistently well performed. It started off badass in Begins (the 'rattle the cages' scene being probably the best sample) but fell apart by the end of Rises.

I still feel confident about continuing with a voice more like the one he used in Begins. Smoother, more calculative, less strained. Maybe a mix of that and Keaton's approach. I'm hoping Ben Affleck will do something more like that or Begins at least, if not more subtle.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #461
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
How could you not be moved when Gordon tells Blake "They know who it was; it was the Batman" and then they cut to the unveiling of the statue of Batman in his honor?

Different strokes, I guess.
Gordon gets it, man. He always did. That's why he says 'I never cared who you were'. It didn't matter who was actually under the cowl. It was the symbolism of Batman's actions that always mattered. Shaking people out of apathy and all that jazz. It all goes back to Bruce and Alfred's conversation on the way back to Gotham in BB.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #462
Volcom
Banned User

Itīs a tough call:

Batman Begins

Itīs the simplest and most cartoonish one of the three. To me this is the closest to a comic book in terms of feeling, atmosphere and story. That can be viewed both in a positive and negative way.

It has amazing characterization, amazing soundtrack, pretty good action scenes and a an average story.

Bruceīs training with the LOS was cool to watch but also full of flaws. As someone who loves oriental culture and martial arts, i can say that none of it made sense. It appeared to be the product of a writer who didnīt make the proper research about the subject. The whole trilogy feels like the writers researched very little about what they were writing. Thatīs a shame. Still the best origin movie to date though.

The Dark Knight

The movie that truly elevated the genre. A real game changer. This is not just an amazing super hero movie. This is an amazing, period. It can easily compete with any other movie from any other genre. It has anything that it needs to have in order to be one of the greatest films ever: Great characters, iconic performances, extremely well written story, memorable dialogue, memorable soundtrack, impressive practical special effects, top notch cinematography and one of the best endings iīve seen in ANY movie.

The only thing bad i could say about this is that some of the fight scenes are poorly choreographed. Batman deserves better than that.

The Dark Knight Rises

This movie has some plot issues that could have been easily avoided if the writers had paid a little more attention to what they were doing. They aimed for something big but forgot about some little details that couldīve made the movie much better. The story is still great, but the plot has some regrettable issues.

Despite some flaws, it's undeniable that the movie has some of the most powerful and emotional scenes of the trilogy, wich helps to save it from some messy elements of the plot.

The acting is on point, as usual. I just donīt understand how Nolan could have looked at Taliaīs death scene and said: "Ok, this is good enough". A girl in the theater started laughing at this scene. I was so embarrassed, that i started thinking: "Why would you do this to me, Nolan?". To me it doesnīt make sense how a director like him would allow such a bad scene to be in his movie. I guess nobodyīs perfect.

The choreography still presents major issues, even though the Bane fight was one of the most powerful fight scenes iīve seen until now. It was really well executed and more than just punching and kicking. They told a story while fighting, and thatīs rare. Nolan managed to inject some emotional depth in a fist fight. Thatīs impressive.

The technical aspects of this movie are as good or better than the previous one.

Loved the ending, but can think of a couple of things it could have done differently in order to be even better. Iīm definitely not a fan of the whole Blake thing, but it didnīt bother me to the point of making me hate the movie, though itīs definitely going to be remembered by itīs unachieved potential.

TDK
TDKR
Begins

Volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #463
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

The Dark Knight

I could watch this film at any time, any place and it is still amazing! No other CBM is quite like it, it's the definative Batman film! I am excited for Bat-Fleck but I don't think he will make a flick as good as this one but time will tell!

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #464
Ryan
Side-Kick

As time has gone on, TDK has become my favourite overall, barely surpassing BB.

1-TDK
2-BB

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #465
ajvenigalla

1. Tdk
2. Tdkr
3. Bb

ajvenigalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #466
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

surprised to see how close it is. tdk > *

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #467
Raelis Shae
Wayside Wanderer

The Dark Knight. Great action, great dialogue, great actors.

Raelis Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #468
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Not even close. Batman Begins. It had so much promise after that "sigh". I do realize that its my preferences though because TDK knocked out of the park for most folks. I honestly wish I could grasp and appreciate myself what others do, but I don't. TDkK just enrages me.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #469
shauner111
Side-Kick

^Interesting perspective. Would you care to elaborate?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #470
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Batman Begins's look and feel is so much in line with what I wanted out of a Batman film. As much as I love TDK, or even TDKR to an extent...Batman Begins never gets old in repeat viewings.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #471
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

And also it's still the best superhero origin movie to date.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #472
shauner111
Side-Kick

For sure.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #473
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Batman Begins's look and feel is so much in line with what I wanted out of a Batman film. As much as I love TDK, or even TDKR to an extent...Batman Begins never gets old in repeat viewings.
Totally agree. I love the Bruce Wayne kicks ass before he puts on the Batsuit and also BB suit is my favourite.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #474
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
^Interesting perspective. Would you care to elaborate?

Well, I don't want to elaborate too much because I know it really annoys a lot of TDK fans who try to convince me I'm wrong but I'll sum up. all the little things that seem to make sense for other people are like cankers of disbelief for me. Batman seems to have lost his stealth and much of his training. The Joker doesn't seem smart . It seems like he has the super power to make the whole city stupid. And I'll just say it... I don't care for heath ledger's Joker. He almost seems like a cliché madman to me.

I hated that Batman thought it was Ok to trade a living active incorruptible symbol for a Dead martyr. It certainly would have improved to next film if it turned out badly and he admitted the Joker manipulated him into the wrong decision.

Don't even get me started on the fight scenes especially in TDKR. Van you imagine how quickly Jason Statham or Arnold in his prime would have wiped the floor with Bane. Heck, he looked like he'd have trouble even hitting me a 55 year old ex martial artist. They are both so ponderous and slow. and throwing frickin' firecrackers at him??

Anyway sorry it turned into a ( for me ) mini rant. Just don't ask me about IM3.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #475
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Batman Begins's look and feel is so much in line with what I wanted out of a Batman film.
Thats pretty much what I think about Begins, it is fantastic!