Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #426
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
Our friendly neighborhood Scanbro over at /co/ leaked Issue 9 tonight.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Depending on who you're rooting for, you're either going to be very pissed or very ha- actually no, you'll probably be pissed in some way either way.
I enjoyed it though.
Well what happened?

- The Joker
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #427
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well what happened?
Otto goes into his/Peter's brain to battle Peter. Peter gains the upper hand at first by bringing out his friends and family (sans any actual superheroes), but Otto trumps this by summoning Peter's rogues gallery, who immediately begin to destroy Peter's army, and in turn his actual memories of those people. Afterwards, Amazing and Superior Spider-Man duke it out, only for Otto to pull out the rug and destroy Peter entirely. In the last page, he proclaims that he's free.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #428
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Quote:
Otto goes into his/Peter's brain to battle Peter. Peter gains the upper hand at first by bringing out his friends and family (sans any actual superheroes), but Otto trumps this by summoning Peter's rogues gallery, who immediately begin to destroy Peter's army, and in turn his actual memories of those people. Afterwards, Amazing and Superior Spider-Man duke it out, only for Otto to pull out the rug and destroy Peter entirely. In the last page, he proclaims that he's free.
Thank you. That brings a big smile to my face. No sarcasm

- The Joker
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #429
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

This book sure is one crazy ride.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #430
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

And I'm loving every second of it.

- The Joker
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #431
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Not shocked by any of that. Sounds real good though.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #432
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

It is. This issue was great. I can already feel the anger that's going to come once this issue is out to the public.

There's one moment in the issue where
Peter and Doc Ock are fighting, and they both rip off their faces and have their Spider-Man masks on underneath and fight as Spider-Men.

That probably sounds really weird but it's awesome in the comic. And I'm glad Stegman drew this issue, I wouldn't want any other artist doing this.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #433
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

So I guess when
Peter does come back, he will have no memories of any of his friends/family. He will truly be a loner again. Sounds interesting for down the line. I guess this means that this Superior era is not Slott's swan song on the title. He's gonna have to eventually put everything back in place before he goes. I doubt he wants to leave everything in pieces for another writer to put back together. This guy plans things out real far in advance.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #434
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
It is. This issue was great. I can already feel the anger that's going to come once this issue is out to the public.
Eh, I think anyone that was gonna jump off the book would have done so back with ASM 700. It seems that the ones that remained are pretty satisfied with how things have been going. We still have the stories where Superior faces Norman, Kaine, Venom and some of the others.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #435
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Doesn't stop people from complaining about it now anyway.

I'm really excited for Miguel showing up in issue 17. I wish it wasn't so far away.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #436
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

In the past weeks I've been coming around and enjoying the book, but..I dunno, I'm going to need time to process this. Hmm..

Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #437
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

it was obvious it would happen this way, and I'm glad it did.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049

Last edited by Naked Bat; 04-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #438
Shockdingo

Oh for sure, in that aspect I'm relived that Slott didn't pull a fast one and make everything okay and hunky dory. (I mean, we have the descriptions of future issues that show this'll go on for months at least) It's just that, something isn't sitting totally right with me, maybe I got poisoned by the discussion on "that board", I dunno.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #439
tw9876z
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Oh for sure, in that aspect I'm relived that Slott didn't pull a fast one and make everything okay and hunky dory. (I mean, we have the descriptions of future issues that show this'll go on for months at least) It's just that, something isn't sitting totally right with me, maybe I got poisoned by the discussion on "that board", I dunno.
What not sitting right is that we are watching the original hero be tortured and killed by a villain again and again. It's rather brutal how Ock is treating Parker and to expect us to warm up to Doc when he is being so cruel to Peter is hard to swallow. It's like watching someone slowly kill kittens because they dont have a home, its awful to watch but they feel justified doing it.

It does make you want to see what happens next though. Morbid curiosity

"Well did you hear, theres a natural order. Those most deserving will end up with the most. That the cream cannot help but rise up to the top. Well I say s*** floats" - jarvis cocker
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #440
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw9876z View Post
What not sitting right is that we are watching the original hero be tortured and killed by a villain again and again. It's rather brutal how Ock is treating Parker and to expect us to warm up to Doc when he is being so cruel to Peter is hard to swallow. It's like watching someone slowly kill kittens because they dont have a home, its awful to watch but they feel justified doing it.

It does make you want to see what happens next though. Morbid curiosity
Aloha,
You have described my feelings exactly.I can never have anything but contempt for the man who stole Peter's life and identity along with trying to incinerate the world.
Spidey rules

Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #441
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Thomas View Post
Aloha,
You have described my feelings exactly.I can never have anything but contempt for the man who stole Peter's life and identity along with trying to incinerate the world.
Spidey rules
Well, he is the villain...

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form

BRING BACK SPIDEY!!!!
Marvel OR Bust!!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #442
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

I'm happy with this news, hehehe!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #443
socool
True

I don't mind that Ock won. That's fine with me; him being Spider-Man is what made this book so damn fun to begin with. It's the fact that Slott made Peter such a selfish bastard that he would risk a little girls life just to stay hidden in his own body so that Ock could win in the end. THIS is destroying Spider-Man. Not killing Peter. Killing who Peter is. And I hate Slott for doing that. He's just lucky it's not gonna stop me from reading...

Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #444
Traveller
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw9876z View Post
What not sitting right is that we are watching the original hero be tortured and killed by a villain again and again. It's rather brutal how Ock is treating Parker and to expect us to warm up to Doc when he is being so cruel to Peter is hard to swallow.
I don't know. It's a philosophically interesting question. What a person? Who are you? Are you the body or the mind (or sense)? If somebody steal your body you will be the same person? And if somebody steal your mind? Our body is a shell I think our mind is that define us.
Was Otto Octavius steal Peter Parker's body? Yes, in the Amazing Spider-Man #700. Is Peter's mind trying overrule Otto's reign? Again, yes. So Otto tortured Peter Parker some day earlier (in the ASM #700 and the start of the Superior) but right now his mind mended with Peter's so as I see the Superior Spider-Man is half Otto and half Peter - in Peter's body. So the Superior Spider-Man so much Peter Parker as much Otto Octavius now.
It's a big possibility Slott won't change back their body at the end of Superior era but simply Peter's mind really overrule Otto's and we will receive Peter Parker Spider-Man again with a very little (or nothing) influence by Dr. Octopus. That would be another interesting story.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #445
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Eh, I think anyone that was gonna jump off the book would have done so back with ASM 700. It seems that the ones that remained are pretty satisfied with how things have been going. We still have the stories where Superior faces Norman, Kaine, Venom and some of the others.
Quote:
Doesn't stop people from complaining about it now anyway.

I'm really excited for Miguel showing up in issue 17. I wish it wasn't so far away.
I stand corrected. You were right. Good lord, people are acting today like this is the end. He'll be back folks......sheesh!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #446
THUNDERSTRIKE
I GOT YER PORK GRIND HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I don't know. It's a philosophically interesting question. What a person? Who are you? Are you the body or the mind (or sense)? If somebody steal your body you will be the same person? And if somebody steal your mind? Our body is a shell I think our mind is that define us.
Was Otto Octavius steal Peter Parker's body? Yes, in the Amazing Spider-Man #700. Is Peter's mind trying overrule Otto's reign? Again, yes. So Otto tortured Peter Parker some day earlier (in the ASM #700 and the start of the Superior) but right now his mind mended with Peter's so as I see the Superior Spider-Man is half Otto and half Peter - in Peter's body. So the Superior Spider-Man so much Peter Parker as much Otto Octavius now.
It's a big possibility Slott won't change back their body at the end of Superior era but simply Peter's mind really overrule Otto's and we will receive Peter Parker Spider-Man again with a very little (or nothing) influence by Dr. Octopus. That would be another interesting story.
and that's the day that I'LL be looking forward to...

proving in the end that it's PETER, and NOT Otto, who's the SUPERIOR Spider-Man...

Always being offensive and ON the offensive, and always defiant, as well...
just an absolutely rude and crude dude in every way possible...
I'm just content to be a malcontent.

Living up to your expectations of me...
and they're all bad.

Despicable ME... I yams what I yams.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #447
bugman
man of bugs

i'm still a little ambivalent about the whole thing, tho i generally enjoy it. i'm especially looking forward to a showdown between doc and the goblin.

and whatever they do now, however it plays out, i have no doubt that we will see the return of peter parker in time for the release of amazing 2. no doubt.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #448
THUNDERSTRIKE
I GOT YER PORK GRIND HERE

hopefully Slott won't drag it out THAT long...

Always being offensive and ON the offensive, and always defiant, as well...
just an absolutely rude and crude dude in every way possible...
I'm just content to be a malcontent.

Living up to your expectations of me...
and they're all bad.

Despicable ME... I yams what I yams.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #449
stillanerd
Side-Kick

I'll probably expand more on this on my blog later (thus giving me a reason to update it finally) but yeah...
it's not so much that readers will get upset that Doc Ock kills Peter once again, because let's face it: quite a few people expected that Ghost Peter was going to lose and be jettisoned/erased or what have you by Doc Ock. Rather, it's the notion that Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel's flagship character and they guy we've been told for 50+ years is "the hero who could be you" was willing to run the risk of letting an innocent, brain-damaged, little-girl die just to save his own skin.

Granted, the suggestion is that Ghost Peter is only the manifestation of the real Peter's memories and is therefore not the real Peter, but the issue also makes the point via Doc Ock that "we are the sum of our experiences," meaning that Ghost Peter might as well have been the real Peter for all intents and purposes. And even if we're supposed to conclude that this is supposed to be another example of how readers can "relate to" Peter because he's not above succumbing to moral lapses out of fear and desperation, it still comes across as the most blatant form of character assassination of a beloved comic book superhero that I can recall ever seeing. Hell, this whole issue was practically saying:

"See? Doc Ock isn't just a better and far more deserving Spider-Man than Peter Parker--he's morally superior to him as well. Because Peter, at his very core, isn't just a selfish person--he's also a morally weak, hypocritical coward diluted by his own self-righteousness while Doc Ock is willing to do what ever is necessary to get the job done, but not at the cost of innocent children's lives. In fact, it's Peter's sense of guilt and desire to be loved which actually proves that his dedication to heroism and self-sacrifice was nothing but a lie. Unlike Peter, Doc Ock admits that he's motivated by personal self-interest, that he too wants fame and recognition for his deeds just as much as Peter does, only he's not willing to drop his moral principles at the drop of a hat when it's most convenient, especially when innocent children are in danger. Plus he doesn't care that people don't like him personally because as long as the results are done for the greater good, who cares what other people think about him. That's an admirable quality in a hero, is it not? It's Peter Parker, the so-called superhero who is the real villain here, and has been a villain all along. Therefore, Doc Ock is worthy of redemption and has earned more than enough right to prove himself as a hero."

To which the proper response to this argument should be: "BULL****!" Especially when the last page is pretty much a variation of:

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #450
Shockdingo

The art was good, the stakes were high and dramatic, and yes, we all know Pete's coming back, that's not the issue for me. I've had more time to chew and digest this and here are my thoughts.

-Going into this I knew Pete was going to lose and "die", it would be too sudden and strange to fix this so early especially given the description for future issues.

With the hanging stipulation that Pete had to lose, I'm still surprised about the "family assembly" moment. I know that Pete doesn't have a ton of super heroes that are BFFs (allies, sure, but he's not going to have Logan in there) I was at least expecting Torch, or Flash-idealized Soldier version rather than reality (since he also doesn't know about Venom), or Ms. Marvel or heck, Cap, given the hero worship.

-The massacre of Pete's loved ones was tragic and a powerful scene, no problem there.

-The battle of morality bothered me. Yes, Dock Ock is going to be the winner here given the the goal of the story, but still, I didn't expect Pete to be so easily plowed over. I was expecting a creeping loss of memory and fear, but still some last vestige of heroic defiance; i.e. losing memories of Uncle Ben, maybe even his own name, but not forgetting ideals, or heck the fact that Ock just murdered his mental family, or since he can't remember them, he killed those "individuals".

-I was expecting Pete to get trounced, and it to be intense and depressing and all that for the thematic impact, but gah, he was schooled and humiliated yet again (even worse this time around due to the moral posturing) and yes, I'll say it, it bothered me. Pete's at a disadvantage, the biggest he's probably ever going to face, but really, I expected more than him to just slump over, sob and sputter that he's not so bad.

I'm not going to hurl death threats and voodoo curses at Slott or even drop the book. I know it's an onging story and I'm not blind to that. I just had dissatisfaction with this issue.

Closed Thread