The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #626
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Great issue. Stegman's art is top notch.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #627
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Well, I made another series of educated guesses as to where Superior Spider-Man might go right before Superior Spider-Man #10 hit the stands, so take whatever I speculate here with a grain of salt, as always:

http://www.spidermanreviews.com/2013...-superior.html

Now having actually read Superior Spider-Man #10, the main things I'm taking away from it are this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I cannot help but see an utter train-wreck in works for Doc Ock's new relationship with Anna Maria. It fact, I would say it will potentially be even more devastating for Anna Maria than it would have been for Mary Jane had Doc Ock not broken it off with her. Because not only is Anna Maria convinced that this is who Peter really is like, Doc Ock is treating her with love and respect regardless of her dwarfism, perhaps for the first time in her life. It's not just going to be heartbreaking for her but utterly tragic.

Speaking of relationships, could Pedro the Firefighter be any more of an all-too obvious replacement love interest for Mary Jane without having the words "replacement love interest" stamped across his firehat? Clearly, the guy is designed to remind MJ of Peter--the guy who she still is very much in love with--and if these two do end up getting together, he's probably is not going to like that fact, especially since he has the same name as her "ex."

And, after this issue, I'm leaning even more into notion that the Green Goblin is actually Peter Parker in Norman Osborn's body. After all, out of all the spider-bots the Green Goblin could've disabled (and we know it was disabled because the hardlines and the wi-fi were also disconnected) he specifically hacks into the one patrolling MJ's nightclub? Not to mention despite it being deactivated earlier, it eventually ends up alerting SpOck, who decided to send a dispatch to the fire department. Also, notice that the Green Goblin is gathering up all the underlings and taking them off the street. If you think about it, he's actually reducing crime even more than SpOck is.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #628
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Well, I made another series of educated guesses as to where Superior Spider-Man might go right before Superior Spider-Man #10 hit the stands, so take whatever I speculate here with a grain of salt, as always:

Now having actually read Superior Spider-Man #10, the main things I'm taking away from it are this:

I cannot help but see an utter train-wreck in works for Doc Ock's new relationship with Anna Maria. It fact, I would say it will potentially be even more devastating for Anna Maria than it would have been for Mary Jane had Doc Ock not broken it off with her. Because not only is Anna Maria convinced that this is who Peter really is like, Doc Ock is treating her with love and respect regardless of her dwarfism, perhaps for the first time in her life. It's not just going to be heartbreaking for her but utterly tragic.

Speaking of relationships, could Pedro the Firefighter be any more of an all-too obvious replacement love interest for Mary Jane without having the words "replacement love interest" stamped across his firehat? Clearly, the guy is designed to remind MJ of Peter--the guy who she still is very much in love with--and if these two do end up getting together, he's probably is not going to like that fact, especially since he has the same name as her "ex."

And, after this issue, I'm leaning even more into notion that the Green Goblin is actually Peter Parker in Norman Osborn's body. After all, out of all the spider-bots the Green Goblin could've disabled (and we know it was disabled because the hardlines and the wi-fi were also disconnected) he specifically hacks into the one patrolling MJ's nightclub? Not to mention despite it being deactivated earlier, it eventually ends up alerting SpOck, who decided to send a dispatch to the fire department. Also, notice that the Green Goblin is gathering up all the underlings and taking them off the street. If you think about it, he's actually reducing crime even more than SpOck is.
As soon as I finished reading the issue, my first thought was that the Green Goblin/Goblin King wasn't Norman Osborn behind the mask. I had a funny feeling and I guess I'm not the only one.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #629
NCBIII
Side-Kick

Quote:

That's very interesting, but:
Could you explain this prediction a little more? Green Goblin showed up before Ock wiped Peter out of his mind. How could he be in two places at once? And how is Goblin reducing crime by having minions blow up MJ's bar?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #630
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBIII View Post
Could you explain this prediction a little more? Green Goblin showed up before Ock wiped Peter out of his mind. How could he be in two places at once? And how is Goblin reducing crime by having minions blow up MJ's bar?
That was never Peter in Ock's mind, it was only a memory fragment taken form, Slott confirmed this.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- fun superhero comics drawn by me
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #631
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm glad you asked:

I believe that the scene we saw at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #697 where Norman Osborn mysteriously escaped the hospital was not actually taking place at the same time as the events shown in the story but actually a flashforward taking place shortly after the events of Amazing Spider-Man #700. Consider that Julia Carpenter was in that very same hospital as Norman, and just because she's in a coma doesn't necessarily stop her from using her psychic powers. What I think could've happened is after Peter died at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #700, Julia was able to use her powers to grab a hold of Peter's astral body/soul and then placed it in the body of Norman Osborn--who if you recall in his last appearance in New Avengers went into a vegetative/catatonic state due to his brain being overloaded by the powers of the Super-Adaptoid. This would also explain why the guards who should've been guarding Norman weren't there, because Julia used her telepathy to make them leave, allowing for Peter in Norman's body to escape.

EDIT: Also, Superior Spider-Man #8 and #9 established that Ghost Peter wasn't actually the real Peter but Peter's memories that Doc Ock kept having gained self-awareness and thinking they were the real Peter.

As for the Goblin-Kids firebombing MJ's nightclub, notice the Green Goblin didn't actually order them to this; this was something they decided to do on their own initiative when they realized the spider-bot could no longer detect them. All he was doing was testing to see whether he could hack into the monitors and for them to see if it worked or not. I also speculate that, if the Green Goblin is indeed Peter, then he was also making a misguided attempt at trying to protect MJ from Doc Ock by shutting down the spider-bot, not realizing that the Goblin-Kids would use the opportunity to cause "mischief."

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #632
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

A Superior Green Goblin? That's an interesting concept if it turns out to be so. A bit far out there, but could make for some interesting possibilities.

Though it's a shame GG couldn't get an update to his look since they've updated Spidey's (regardless of who is actually wearing the threads). GG imo is one villain in real need of a contemporary look.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #633
NCBIII
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm glad you asked:

I believe that the scene we saw at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #697 where Norman Osborn mysteriously escaped the hospital was not actually taking place at the same time as the events shown in the story but actually a flashforward taking place shortly after the events of Amazing Spider-Man #700. Consider that Julia Carpenter was in that very same hospital as Norman, and just because she's in a coma doesn't necessarily stop her from using her psychic powers. What I think could've happened is after Peter died at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #700, Julia was able to use her powers to grab a hold of Peter's astral body/soul and then placed it in the body of Norman Osborn--who if you recall in his last appearance in New Avengers went into a vegetative/catatonic state due to his brain being overloaded by the powers of the Super-Adaptoid. This would also explain why the guards who should've been guarding Norman weren't there, because Julia used her telepathy to make them leave, allowing for Peter in Norman's body to escape.

EDIT: Also, Superior Spider-Man #8 and #9 established that Ghost Peter wasn't actually the real Peter but Peter's memories that Doc Ock kept having gained self-awareness and thinking they were the real Peter.

As for the Goblin-Kids firebombing MJ's nightclub, notice the Green Goblin didn't actually order them to this; this was something they decided to do on their own initiative when they realized the spider-bot could no longer detect them. All he was doing was testing to see whether he could hack into the monitors and for them to see if it worked or not. I also speculate that, if the Green Goblin is indeed Peter, then he was also making a misguided attempt at trying to protect MJ from Doc Ock by shutting down the spider-bot, not realizing that the Goblin-Kids would use the opportunity to cause "mischief."
Dude, that's awesome. I love reading your posts in here. Thank you for explaining that to me.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #634
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I really, really hate the concept of the "Goblin kids." It's equal parts campy and creepy and it doesn't seem like something Norman Osborn would do (not because he's not evil enough, but because it makes him seem like a ridiculous Saturday morning cartoon villain instead of the cool, murderous professional businessman he used to be).

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #635
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Well it might not be Norman Osborn.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #636
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude, that's awesome. I love reading your posts in here. Thank you for explaining that to me.
You're welcome, NCBIII. Just remember it's only a theory at this point.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #637
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Theories that usually are 70-75% dead on....

Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #638
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Theories that usually are 70-75% dead on....
Only 70-75%?!

Well, there was that one time when I was convinced that Menace was Carlie Cooper because I thought Lily Hollister being Menace was too obvious.

(Seriously, thanks for the compliment.)

Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #639
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
I'm glad you asked:

Really like your theory, stillanerd! Again always thinking.

Really enjoyed this past issue. And agree with SpOck's new girlfriend that things will end up bad.

And Gobby now in the picture, really enjoying the ride!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #640
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

What I liked about the issue is you can tell Slott was really turning the page to the next chapter of the Superior era. Things are moving real fast. I feel bad for the haters and suckers that are missing out on this. No I don't.

But seriously, this is shaping up to be Dan's finest work.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #641
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

I'm going to cry in high pitched shockwaves when the inevitable badness happens to the lovely Ms. Marconi

Curious as to the Goblin stuff and StillANerd's theories as usual!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #642
socool
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
I'm going to cry in high pitched shockwaves when the inevitable badness happens to the lovely Ms. Marconi
Oh, yeah, Marconi is totally gonna bite it. It's so obvious.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #643
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

She's gonna be Otto's Gwen Stacy.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #644
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
She's gonna be Otto's Gwen Stacy.
Well "Norman" is back and...bridges haven't ever gone outta style.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #645
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Will it comes at the hands of Otto or another villain I wonder. How twisted would it be if it was the former.

Anyway I loved the latest issue. Another winner. I just can't get enough of this title.

- The Joker
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #646
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Just got my hands on issue 10. I've gotta say that I personally don't see how Stillanerd's theory on a 'Superior Green Goblin' is realistic. No offense, I quite like Sillanderd's speculation.
It's not just the Goblin kids, but the criminal empire he's seemingly forming. The last page for me puts the final nail in the coffin on that theory. I could be wrong and maybe Slott's doing another character assassination like the previous issue where the Peter remnant was exposed portrayed as being inferior to Otto.

I also thought the last shot of the 'Goblin King' just shows how dorky this version of the character looks. It seems like Slott and co. are really embracing the more camp aspects of Spider-man. I think the art in general is quite good in the book, but I don't think we need this Goblin to be wearing a version of the classic Goblin suit with ill-fitting boxer shorts.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #647
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Just got my hands on issue 10. I've gotta say that I personally don't see how Stillanerd's theory on a 'Superior Green Goblin' is realistic. No offense, I quite like Sillanderd's speculation.
It's not just the Goblin kids, but the criminal empire he's seemingly forming. The last page for me puts the final nail in the coffin on that theory. I could be wrong and maybe Slott's doing another character assassination like the previous issue where the Peter remnant was exposed portrayed as being inferior to Otto.

I also thought the last shot of the 'Goblin King' just shows how dorky this version of the character looks. It seems like Slott and co. are really embracing the more camp aspects of Spider-man. I think the art in general is quite good in the book, but I don't think we need this Goblin to be wearing a version of the classic Goblin suit with ill-fitting boxer shorts.
No offense taken cause, I agree, there are drawbacks to this theory. However, with what you raised, here could be some explanations behind it:

Remember when Peter was in Doc Ock's body, he recruited super-villains in order to stop Doc Ock. And as we know, it didn't work out so well. If Peter is the Green Goblin, then he's applying a similar strategy. But notice that he's not recruiting a single super-villain; they're all underlinings, people are used to following orders without question. And what better leader for them than THE Green Goblin, the guy who is Spider-Man's #1 arch-nemesis, who, in some quarters, is still regarded as a hero and has extremely devoted followers who see him as a cult-like figure?

Also, notice what the Green Goblin is actually doing at the moment--he telling all these former minions that he can keep them safe from the Spider and he's got this great place in the sewers for them to hide out and not be found. He's literally getting all these crooks off the street, preventing them from joining up with some other crime boss, and has gathered them all together in one place. If you think about it, the Green Goblin, in a twisted sort of logic, is actually reducing crime moreso than Doc Ock is.

Why twisted? Well, obviously, the Green Goblin is supposed to be twisted, but, if Peter is the Green Goblin, then I think he would be as well simply by being in Norman's body. Because remember, the Goblin formula didn't just give Norman Osborn enhanced strength, reflexes, and regenerative abilities, it also made him insane. By going into Norman's comatose body, Peter would theoretically be effected on a psychological level because of the Goblin formula coursing through Osborn's body. Granted, it wouldn't be the same kind of psychosis as Osborn, but it would make him crazy nevertheless, even though his goal would be to stop Doc Ock and protect the people he loves.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #648
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

That is certainly something to think on. I hope we don't have to wait and see for too long to find out. lol

Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #649
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
No offense taken cause, I agree, there are drawbacks to this theory. However, with what you raised, here could be some explanations behind it:

Remember when Peter was in Doc Ock's body, he recruited super-villains in order to stop Doc Ock. And as we know, it didn't work out so well. If Peter is the Green Goblin, then he's applying a similar strategy. But notice that he's not recruiting a single super-villain; they're all underlinings, people are used to following orders without question. And what better leader for them than THE Green Goblin, the guy who is Spider-Man's #1 arch-nemesis, who, in some quarters, is still regarded as a hero and has extremely devoted followers who see him as a cult-like figure?

Also, notice what the Green Goblin is actually doing at the moment--he telling all these former minions that he can keep them safe from the Spider and he's got this great place in the sewers for them to hide out and not be found. He's literally getting all these crooks off the street, preventing them from joining up with some other crime boss, and has gathered them all together in one place. If you think about it, the Green Goblin, in a twisted sort of logic, is actually reducing crime moreso than Doc Ock is.

Why twisted? Well, obviously, the Green Goblin is supposed to be twisted, but, if Peter is the Green Goblin, then I think he would be as well simply by being in Norman's body. Because remember, the Goblin formula didn't just give Norman Osborn enhanced strength, reflexes, and regenerative abilities, it also made him insane. By going into Norman's comatose body, Peter would theoretically be effected on a psychological level because of the Goblin formula coursing through Osborn's body. Granted, it wouldn't be the same kind of psychosis as Osborn, but it would make him crazy nevertheless, even though his goal would be to stop Doc Ock and protect the people he loves.
I'd also like to add:
remember Pete kept catching himself acting and talking like Doc Ock when he was in Doc's body...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #650
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
I'd also like to add:
remember Pete kept catching himself acting and talking like Doc Ock when he was in Doc's body...
And this is why psrt of the story makes no sense.

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
Closed Thread