The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #751
KaineMorrison

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I hope they keep the tech. The only thing Pete is coming back to is a doctorate. His life as Spider-Man is going to be in ruins. No superhero in the world is going to trust him. It will be like the 70's again but 50 times worse. At least back then, SOME of the heroes would vouch for him when push came to shove.
I agree and disagree...
Pete will be back, but Otto will still be a Spider-Man.
Pete will have a new body. Otto will keep the old one.
Otto is destroying too much of Pete's life and reputation for Peter to just come back to it.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #752
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I think seeing Peter having to win everyone back over could be interesting. Though I've no desire to see another kind of reset where he's simply put back to what he was in those days. I'd still like to see him with the Avengers and other heroes occasionally.

@runawayboulder. I agree. I would like to see him retain the tech. Though maybe not all of it. There might be some things that Peter finds ethically wrong to use (or at least use it in the same fashion as Ock did). Plus while I enjoy the new costume design and like the return of the mechanical spider-legs, they feel more Doc Ock than they do Iron Spider. I'm a bit on the fence on that one. Maybe Peter could use them sporadically?

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #753
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I don't even think OctoSpidey will use them that much. Other than that one Ramos cover, we haven't seen them anywhere else have we?

Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #754
runawayboulder
2014 NFL Pick'em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMorrison View Post
I agree and disagree...
Otto is destroying too much of Pete's life and reputation for Peter to just come back to it.
I wouldn't be so fast to think like that. This is Peter Parker we're talking about. His entire existence for years was being about having the deck stacked against him and overcoming odds. This will be nothing different in that regard.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #755
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
I don't even think OctoSpidey will use them that much. Other than that one Ramos cover, we haven't seen them anywhere else have we?
It's been in a few covers. One is my current avatar (though they're hard to see admittedly). Some newer ones have debuted recently.

Quote:
I agree and disagree...
Yeah.... no. I just don't see anything to base that on. Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with Superior, but last I knew he had eradicated Peter Parker and was acting fairly villainous. If Peter returns I doubt we'll see Ock remain as some sort of secondary Spider-man. I think we'll end up with a villainous meltdown and Sp-Ock getting his due by the end. Plus keeping Ock in Peter's real body while giving Peter a new one just seems a bit out there.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #756
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I think the whole arc for Superior is for Pete to come back and prove that he is the superior Spider-Man. So I hope they don't just cancel this title and relaunch again when Pete comes back.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #757
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I think seeing Peter having to win everyone back over could be interesting. Though I've no desire to see another kind of reset where he's simply put back to what he was in those days. I'd still like to see him with the Avengers and other heroes occasionally.

@runawayboulder. I agree. I would like to see him retain the tech. Though maybe not all of it. There might be some things that Peter finds ethically wrong to use (or at least use it in the same fashion as Ock did). Plus while I enjoy the new costume design and like the return of the mechanical spider-legs, they feel more Doc Ock than they do Iron Spider. I'm a bit on the fence on that one. Maybe Peter could use them sporadically?
Aloha,
I said it from the early days of Superior and Slott was interviewed a while back and backed me up. Dr. Strange can verify that Peter is not who he appears. Slott said " Dr Strange is the LAST guy, Ock wants to meet up with".
I think at some point, Peter will be in very good graces with JJJ, simply because SpOck has him under his thumb for life.There may be a public apology to Peter for his selfless act of trying to make JJJ look good.Other than that, SpOck is screwing up Spider-Man's life-Big Time. If you thought Peter Parker had a GUILT COMPLEX his first 50 years, he's going to be even more guilt ridden for the next 50 as a result of being a cold blooded killer.
Spidey rules

Old 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #758
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I have to say, the more I think about it I think this recent 'No Escape' arc was Slott's best Spider-Man related work to date. Period. It had palpable tension and drama that for some reason Pete's death (both real and ghost) and other supposedly dramatic events that have happened in the books recently have lacked. It had crisp dialogue that wasn't too goofy, some really awesome moments and a nice, sadistic twist at the end. I think that ending is what really makes this an instant classic. That was brutal. So I really enjoyed it. And that's not something I say easily, because I've been very critical of Slott's work up until ASM#700. But this Superior Spider-Man run has restored my faith in him somewhat. I'm just dreading Pete's inevitable return now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #759
NCBIII
Side-Kick

@JJJ's Ulcer, It's funny you say that because Christos Gage wrote the scripts for this arc, while Slott is credited for the plot.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #760
KaineMorrison

Quote:
Since all of the Upgrades are controlled by Smythe, I assume he's going after Smythe and once he's defeated/killed, Scorpion, Boomerang and Vulture will automatically lose their Upgrades...
Looks like I was correct about that...

Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #761
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Good for you.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #762
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBIII View Post
@JJJ's Ulcer, It's funny you say that because Christos Gage wrote the scripts for this arc, while Slott is credited for the plot.
Oooh well I guess that explains why I thought the dialogue was a lot better than the banal, man-child stuff Slott usually writes. What a shame. Well, at least his plots are getting better then. And Gage is an extremely talented (and underrated) writer, so I'm glad he's getting some notice. He wrote an excellent Spidey/X-Men mini a few years back.

Quote:
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #763
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

[QUOTE=JJJ's Ulcer;26344851]Oooh well I guess that explains why I thought the dialogue was a lot better than the banal, man-child stuff Slott usually writes. What a shame. Well, at least his plots are getting better then. And Gage is an extremely talented (and underrated) writer, so I'm glad he's getting some notice. He wrote an excellent Spidey/X-Men mini a few years back.[/QUOTE]

Aloha,
Yes he did.

Spidey rules

Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #764
JJJ's Ulcer

They were all great, but the third issue was my favorite. He wrote the first real Ben Reilly story since the clone saga ended. The X-Men teamed up with Spider-Ben and fought Sinister and Carnage. Really made me miss the 90's.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #765
KaineMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Oooh well I guess that explains why I thought the dialogue was a lot better than the banal, man-child stuff Slott usually writes. What a shame. Well, at least his plots are getting better then. And Gage is an extremely talented (and underrated) writer, so I'm glad he's getting some notice. He wrote an excellent Spidey/X-Men mini a few years back.
Speaking of.... Did they ever explain what happened to that Kraven Hybrid/Clone?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #766
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Speaking of.... Did they ever explain what happened to that Kraven Hybrid/Clone?
Aloha,
Good question. I don't think so. Does anyone out there know?
Spidey rules

Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #767
Mr. Dent
Banned User

From Dan's twitter account, posted on the 11th

Quote:
Dear retailers,
Remember when I gave you the heads up on ASM #698...?

Well, if you've read Marvel's October solicits you've seen these SSM solicits:

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #19
DAN SLOTT (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (A/C)
VARIANT by J. G. JONES
LEGO VARIANT by Leonel Castellani
Necessary Evil CONCLUDES!
• The moment that changes world of Spider-Man-- and the Marvel Universe for years to come.
• Which Spider-Man is responsible for such a thing? Spider-Man 2099 or the Superior Spider-Man?
• Major developments for both Spider-Man’s cast... and for the future.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #20
DAN SLOTT (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY Milo Manara
• From the fallout of NECESSARY EVIL, comes new beginnings and new twists that will be felt in the pages of Spider-Man for years to come! SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #20 is where it all starts! Do NOT miss this one!
• It’s the first ever adventure for the Superior Spider-Man and the Black Cat. Felicia Hardy always cared for the Spider more than the man. But what happens when that man is Otto Octavius?
• Plus: A day Otto has been waiting for is finally here. Is the world ready for “Dr. Peter Parker”... and what he plans to do next?
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I'm just here to tell you that NONE of that is empty hyperbole.

SSM #19 will have lasting effects on both Spider-Man's world and the Marvel U.
And there will be MAJOR developments for Spider-Man's cast.

SSM #20 And on TOP of dealing with the fallout from SSM #19... SSM #20, in its own right, will feature the starting points of not one but MANY IMPORTANT developments for the world of Spider-Man that will be felt for years to come.

MANY.

In 2014 and 2015 fans will be asking, "When did that start?" and "What issue did that first show up in?" And the answer will probably be: SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #20.

Just letting you know.
Thanks!
Dan
So we're on notice guys.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #768
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Oh it's soooo exciting!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #769
JJJ's Ulcer

I don't trust solicits these days, because they always say "...and NOTHING will be the same..." or ".... the fall-out of this will be felt for years to come..." etc. Sometimes the solicits are true and the status-quo really does change, but much more often it is empty hyperbole. If Slott's talking about it on his twitter that gives it a bit of extra weight, but all the same I think action (or in this case, the actual issues) speaks louder than words (the solicits), so I'll reserve judgement until I read. Sorry, it's easy to get me on a tangent about solicits.

Quote:
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #770
:eek:
Side-Kick

I don't think I have ever seen a writer trying to hype his own stories as much as Dan Slott tries. The solicits for every damn issue make it sounds like it will be biggest event in the history of mankind. It just does nothing for me. It just comes across as a desperate attempt to sell the stuff.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #771
KaineMorrison

At least I know that I'm not the only one that rolls my eyes when a solicit says that...

Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #772
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eek: View Post
I don't think I have ever seen a writer trying to hype his own stories as much as Dan Slott tries. The solicits for every damn issue make it sounds like it will be biggest event in the history of mankind. It just does nothing for me. It just comes across as a desperate attempt to sell the stuff.
It's also a case of "crying wolf." If you claim every six months that an issue will CHANGE EVERYTHING, then when you do actually believe an issue might (as Slott may believe about #20) no one believes you anymore.

Quote:
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #773
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So what's Otto gonna do with control of The Raft?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #774
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I don't think Slott's being "desperate" for sales... the book sells well on its own merit... I think he's just using new technology to promote his stories... and since this is the "infancy" of such technology, it's just comes across as "weird" and/or "different"... especially to us old timers...

Personally, I have no idea how twitter even works... except that people say things, and other people apparently care enough to hear what these people are saying...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 07-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #775
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I don't think Slott's being "desperate" for sales... the book sells well on its own merit... I think he's just using new technology to promote his stories... and since this is the "infancy" of such technology, it's just comes across as "weird" and/or "different"... especially to us old timers...

Personally, I have no idea how twitter even works... except that people say things, and other people apparently care enough to hear what these people are saying...

Ha ha! I'm with you! Kids today and their technology!

Anyway, Slott makes me nervous when he says things like that! I've loved what he's done so far and I trust him, but sometimes things can sound ominous, particularly when he talks of Spider-Man's cast.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form

BRING BACK SPIDEY!!!!
Marvel OR Bust!!!!
Closed Thread