Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #826
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
I dont think Spider-Man 2099 is so amazingly popular. He has more of a cult following.
He is by no means insanely popular but most people seem to still prefer him over Spider-Slott.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #827
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
He is by no means insanely popular most fans still prefer him over Spider-Slott.
Where did you get those facts from? Most people I know have enjoyed Superior.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #828
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where did you get those facts from? Most people I know have enjoyed Superior.
I edited my post prior to your response. What I meant to say was that it seems like most fans would prefer him. Obviously I have no way of knowing that unless I go out there and ask every single person but it is what I have observed.

From my personal experience, not too many people like Superior. Every website I went on too either gave it negative or mixed reviews (and rightfully so IMO). I even hear that Slott is increasingly getting threats because of it.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #829
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Can't say I've seen an outpouring for 2099 over Superior much myself.

Speaking of 2099 Spider-man. I wouldn't mind seeing him receive a costume upgrade. I mean we've already seen two new costumes under Superior for normal Spidey. I think it would be interesting to see what they could do with 2099.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #830
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I edited my post prior to your response. What I meant to say was that it seems like most fans would prefer him. Obviously I have no way of knowing that unless I go out there and ask every single person but it is what I have observed.

From my personal experience, not too many people like Superior. Every website I went on too either gave it negative or mixed reviews (and rightfully so IMO). I even hear that Slott is increasingly getting threats because of it.
Fair enough. It's just my experience that a lot of people have enjoyed it. My two cents.

It would be a shame if a person got threats over a fictional character. People that dont like the current direction just have to wait it out and Peter will be back. Just look at Ben Reilly and Mattie Franklin. And even if Peter is gone for good...you are going to threaten a guy over it?

Come on, people. Perspective. Get upset about poverty or something, not funny books.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #831
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Funny books are serious business, dammit!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #832
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Funny books are serious business, dammit!
Is that why their sales are down the crapper?

*runs away from thrown debris*

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #833
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

No, that's because of video games, shortened attention spans, and illegal downloads.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #834
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
No, that's because of video games, shortened attention spans, and illegal downloads.
And not because of the social stigma of comic books as for children or adult nerds.

Anyway, I'm done.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #835
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

yeah, that doesn't help.

But I will say, video games have the same stigma and their business is better than ever.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #836
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
It would be a shame if a person got threats over a fictional character. People that dont like the current direction just have to wait it out and Peter will be back. Just look at Ben Reilly and Mattie Franklin. And even if Peter is gone for good...you are going to threaten a guy over it?

Come on, people. Perspective. Get upset about poverty or something, not funny books.
It is a shame that sort of thing happens. Though it appears from what I've read it seems that there has always been people like that out there sending these messages to companies like Marvel. So I'm not sure how much of it is specifically because of Slott or just because he's unlucky enough to be the current writer.

Quote:
None of that applies to... Hey, what's that?!

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #837
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
It is a shame that sort of thing happens. Though it appears from what I've read it seems that there has always been people like that out there sending these messages to companies like Marvel. So I'm not sure how much of it is specifically because of Slott or just because he's unlucky enough to be the current writer.
Did this kind of backlash happen when they killed Superman? I know it didn't with Batman because it was the Almighty Morrison who can do no wrong () but this isn't the first time a major character has died. I just can't remember death threats over any of the previous ones.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #838
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
A side story: Back when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was writing the Sherlock Holmes stories, they were published in newspapers as serials. When Doyle killed off Prof Moriarity, the reader backlash was so great that he was forced to find a way to bring him back.

Some things never change.

Quote:
None of that applies to... Hey, what's that?!
Pft, I dont do that. *continues to ignore homework*

Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #839
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Did this kind of backlash happen when they killed Superman? I know it didn't with Batman because it was the Almighty Morrison who can do no wrong () but this isn't the first time a major character has died. I just can't remember death threats over any of the previous ones.
I have no idea about Superman. Wasn't following comics back then and I don't read DC for the most part. I'm just going by an interview I remember a while back about those kind of nutjobs who write in threats. By the sound of it they seem to always have someone writing in with nonsense like that. How much of that is specifically due to Peter Parker being killed I can only guess.

Also I doubt they decide to tell the press every time they receive one. Otherwise I doubt this sort of thing would be long out of the news.

Quote:
A side story: Back when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was writing the Sherlock Holmes stories, they were published in newspapers as serials. When Doyle killed off Prof Moriarity, the reader backlash was so great that he was forced to find a way to bring him back.

Some things never change.
I often hear it said his mother was actually the one who made him resurrect Holmes. I guess she must have been head of the fan club. lol

Last edited by The Infernal; 07-15-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #840
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Aloha,
I would agree with you. A good gamer can take the game out of the sleeve and other than find out all of the easter eggss, rarely read the instructions. Comic book fans are first and foremost READERS.In an age when young people text message,abbreviating whole words down to as few letters as possible, comic book fans are still READERS!With Marvel Unlimited and Comixology providing legal digital downloads, I don't think the digital underground is hurting the comic book business. It's definitely helping to sell 1T external hard drives.I predicted several years ago, that the time would come when you would get the paper version of the comic book and access to a digital version as well. Marvel is doing this now on several titles from time to time.Marvel comics in the 60's and 70's was considered hip to read.
Comics through movies and games have become very much a part of modern culture.It's the Age of the Geek, Baby. Wear it proudly.Make them feel left out if they DON'T know the back story behind the latest super hero movie.
Spidey rules

Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #841
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

You said the word "hip"...

You must be OLD!!!!

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #842
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post

You must be OLD!!!!

Aloha,
Marvel comics in the 60's and 70's was considered hip to read.
I'm using the vernacular of the times

and yes-I AM OLD!

Spidey still rules

Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #843
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

All you old guys better be careful getting up from your computers now...don't want you breaking a hip or anything.

Seriously though, the rise in prices coupled with lack luster writing/art as well as no close access to a comic book store (my local shop across the street closed a couple years ago and the area's biggest chain, Atomic Comics, closed soon after) is what has driven me to what you call "illegal downloads".

Right now I'd rather spend my money on ebay getting insane deals on the older books to help fill holes in my collection.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #844
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post

You must be OLD!!!!

When old people use the word "hip" it's usually preceded by "I broke my..."

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #845
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
All you old guys better be careful getting up from your computers now...don't want you breaking a hip or anything.

Seriously though, the rise in prices coupled with lack luster writing/art as well as no close access to a comic book store (my local shop across the street closed a couple years ago and the area's biggest chain, Atomic Comics, closed soon after) is what has driven me to what you call "illegal downloads".

Right now I'd rather spend my money on ebay getting insane deals on the older books to help fill holes in my collection.
I just don't understand this school of thought.

Come on man, the comic book market is already dying, why not support the work instead of just stealing it? At least get a subscription or something.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #846
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
I just don't understand this school of thought.

Come on man, the comic book market is already dying, why not support the work instead of just stealing it? At least get a subscription or something.
You can go through Comixology and get a Digital Subscription.
You can also go through Marvel or Mile High Comics ( are they even still around?) and get them shipped right to your door, usually a day or two early!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #847
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Sorry, both of you were supposed to be Quoted... Damn phone... Lol...

Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #848
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I really like Things From Another World to get comics, pretty good prices.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #849
ReignInBlood

Mile High is still around. Yes, there are alternatives to getting your fix but I do miss the days of visiting the local shop. I sometimes get weepy during the Big Bang Theory comic shop scenes

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #850
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Question for you guy concerning the "Superior" premise:

Would you care if the storyline centered around Norman Osborn in Peter's body? Would it make a difference if it was the Jackal? The main defense of this title seems to be that it's being "done really well"...So what if they put Mac Gargan in Peter's body, but it was "done really well"? It shouldn't make a difference who's in the Spidey costume then as long as it's "done well", right?

Closed Thread