The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #876
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

With this latest issue, things are really going insane! Really digging this storyline!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form

BRING BACK SPIDEY!!!!
Marvel OR Bust!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #877
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Maybe it's only annoying to me because I HATE when they do that, and now that I'm really starting to miss Peter Parker and am glad to see characters I love showing up in the Spidye title (Cardiac, Spidey 2099, etc.), there's no Peter to be seen. So the only time I actually WANT them to do that, they don't seem to have any desire to do it. I don't care about Doc Ock and don't want to read a book about him, so there's no draw there. So even if I DO want to maybe jump back into the Spider-Man world, there's nothing for me to jump into I want to read about Peter Parker, not Doc Ock.

There's really not a lot of Doc Ock stuff though. Slott has worked in parts of his past a few times but this is a now (no pun meant) book about his life as Spider-Man. It's working in existing plot elements and has Ock moving things forward. I'm telling you, it works and it's working well.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #878
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

It's still Ock in essence. The cocky way he speaks, the way he carries himself and runs things... it all screams Ock. I've thoroughly skimmed every issue. I find it all unappealing.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #879
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The re-read your back issues for the next year or so to tide you over til you get Peter Parker back. I don't know why you're always in this thread, Hobbit, when you are always reminding us how you have zero interest in this title.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 07-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #880
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

This issue was amazing. I still don't like Ramos art though. It would have been better, to me, with another artist. The new costume is not bad.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #881
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The re-read your back issues for the next year or so to tide you over til you get Peter Parker back. I don't know why you're always in this thread, Hobbit, when you are always reminding us how you have zero interest in this title.
Because talking about how I wish there was a Peter Parker Spider-Man title would be off topic in the X-Men forums.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 07-26-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #882
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

makes sense.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #883
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
With this latest issue, things are really going insane! Really digging this storyline!
Yeah... REGICIDE!!!!

I love how in one issue, Spider-Man takes down the Kingpin AND his entire empie... it was all friggin' awesome, and Ock's lack of compassion does indeed make him a "superior" Spider-Man... it just keeps getting better and better...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #884
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

As for those who want a Peter Parker Spidey, Marvel's official standing on this is "Go watch the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon." Which comes off like they really don't care about Peter fans. I have a feeling this will go past the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and they will scramble to release a movie related One Shot to try and draw fans in, but having SpOck will end up biting them you know where.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #885
Themanofbat

Why is "everything" always about some big FU to the fans?

Who the hell do you think the 85k + people who are buying the book twice a month are?

Non-fans?

Gimme a break...

The book is about Spider-Man, and the man in the costume is the body of Peter Parker, with most of Peter's cast members in the book... the only thing different at this point is the mind... which is Otto's... which may or may not last as long, or possibly last longer, than anyone here could gather to guess... there obviously seems like a plan.. you can see stuff happening in the books... Slott's not just making things up... and the obvious payoff will be for Peter to get back into his body only to find everything he's ever worked for destroyed... allies, friendships, etc...

The reality is is at the end of the SpOck" era... when Peter comes back... it will be like restarting, just without eliminating any continuity... the most difficult thing about hitting a reset button is to make it seem like no reset button has been pushed... and if that's the case, I'm ok with it... because I have been enjoying the SpOck Spider-Man books way more than I could have hoped.

I hope it doesn't last forever, but I don't want it to end anytime soon...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #886
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Why is "everything" always about some big FU to the fans?

Who the hell do you think the 85k + people who are buying the book twice a month are?
Spider-Man fans who have no where else to go to buy Spider-Man?

And I'm not criticizing the book. I hear it's great. I'm just don't care for the current direction.

Quote:
The book is about Spider-Man, and the man in the costume is the body of Peter Parker, with most of Peter's cast members in the book... the only thing different at this point is the mind... which is Otto's... which may or may not last as long, or possibly last longer, than anyone here could gather to guess... there obviously seems like a plan.. you can see stuff happening in the books... Slott's not just making things up... and the obvious payoff will be for Peter to get back into his body only to find everything he's ever worked for destroyed... allies, friendships, etc...
You realize that up there is one sentence? Grammar, son!

But I do disagree to an extent. The book is a Spider-Man cast book, yes, but it isn't by any means a Spider-Man book. Spider-Man is Peter Parker and Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Remove Peter Parker (even if his body is still present) then you remove Spider-Man.

It's like saying Scarlet Spider is a Spider-Man comic. It isn't. It has Peter's body, his cast at times, etc. but it isn't Peter Parker. It's Kaine "in" Peter Parker's body. Therefore it's Kaine's book. Or perhaps Venom is a Spider-Man book because it shares his cast and his old symbiote costume, but it isn't. It's a Flash Thompson book. Superior Spider-Man isn't a Spider-Man book (despite the name). It's a Doctor Octopus book.

Just my opinion anyway.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #887
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Okay, I've been reading Superior since it started, and I've loved it.

Now it's starting to wear thin, to me. I enjoy it, and I'm not going to quit, but I REALLY miss Peter Parker, now. I trust Dan Slott to do us right, and I'll keep reading to find out the endgame, but I really want Peter back.

As for the new suit, love it.

As for Peter's return, I still think it's Peter Parker buried underneath Ock's personality. I think the illusion of it will reach critical mass, his psyche will breakdown, and Peter will re-emerge....

...just in time to have to face the ull might of the Green Goblin and his criminal empire!

I can dream, right?

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #888
Themanofbat

Quote:
I like to use ellipses...

Quote:
But I do disagree to an extent. The book is a Spider-Man cast book, yes, but it isn't by any means a Spider-Man book. Spider-Man is Peter Parker and Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Remove Peter Parker (even if his body is still present) then you remove Spider-Man.

It's like saying Scarlet Spider is a Spider-Man comic. It isn't. It has Peter's body, his cast at times, etc. but it isn't Peter Parker. It's Kaine "in" Peter Parker's body. Therefore it's Kaine's book. Or perhaps Venom is a Spider-Man book because it shares his cast and his old symbiote costume, but it isn't. It's a Flash Thompson book. Superior Spider-Man isn't a Spider-Man book (despite the name). It's a Doctor Octopus book.

Just my opinion anyway.
I know that... but this is going to be some kind of a turning point in the life of Peter Parker when (or if) he comes back... and I'd like to see this avenue explored for as long as it takes, because it'll never happen again.

If ever another villain takes over Peter's mind like Otto has, people will just "groan... been there, done that... yawn"... so Marvel has a very unique opportunity to write this story for as long as they can and explore all the fun and different things they can do... similarly to when he revealed his identity... we got less than a year worth of stories before they changed things up, and people were complaining that Marvel didn't explore this avenue enough (while others complained that it happened at all, or they complained that it lasted too long, etc...)

Yes... I'm sure many of us miss Peter Parker... I do... but this is an awesome curve ball in his life that Dan has thrown at us, and I'm not in any hurry to see it reach the plate, because I know we'll never see a story like this in a Spider-Man comic for a long long time.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #889
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

That makes sense.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #890
KaineMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
Okay, I've been reading Superior since it started, and I've loved it.

Now it's starting to wear thin, to me. I enjoy it, and I'm not going to quit, but I REALLY miss Peter Parker, now. I trust Dan Slott to do us right, and I'll keep reading to find out the endgame, but I really want Peter back.

As for the new suit, love it.

As for Peter's return, I still think it's Peter Parker buried underneath Ock's personality. I think the illusion of it will reach critical mass, his psyche will breakdown, and Peter will re-emerge....

...just in time to have to face the ull might of the Green Goblin and his criminal empire!

I can dream, right?
The ONLY problem I see with this is that if they say Peter's been there the whole time, it will taint him forever!
Look at the whole Hank Pym thing... It was a one off thing, and its taken out of context every time.
This is what will happen if they say Pete's never really left.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #891
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
The reality is is at the end of the SpOck" era... when Peter comes back... it will be like restarting, just without eliminating any continuity... the most difficult thing about hitting a reset button is to make it seem like no reset button has been pushed... and if that's the case, I'm ok with it... because I have been enjoying the SpOck Spider-Man books way more than I could have hoped.

I hope it doesn't last forever, but I don't want it to end anytime soon...

Quote:
Eh, f**k grammar. TMoB hit the nail on the head.

At some point or another, the SpOck storyline is going to get old. For some fans sooner than others. Right now, it's not showing any real signs of slowing down. There are plenty of avenues to explore with Ock running around as Spidey. Do I want Peter back.....? You betcha. Do I need him back right now...? Not really.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #892
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
I like to use ellipses...

Yes... I'm sure many of us miss Peter Parker... I do... but this is an awesome curve ball in his life that Dan has thrown at us, and I'm not in any hurry to see it reach the plate, because I know we'll never see a story like this in a Spider-Man comic for a long long time.

Pretty much my feeling as well.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form

BRING BACK SPIDEY!!!!
Marvel OR Bust!!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #893
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I don't miss Peter Parker. At least the way Dan was writing him (single, early 20's hipster man-child.... please, try to argue with that).

I think Slott's SpOck stuff is a lot stronger than his Peter Parker stuff ever was. The stories are going in an interesting and unpredictable direction that I actually care about and he seems to have a much better handle on SpOck's volatile and amoral personality than he ever did on Peter. Or maybe it's just because Ock isn't constantly written as a buffoon. Yeah, that could be it too.

Now, if JM DeMatteis or even JMS... someone who wrote Pete with a modicum of maturity.... was bringing him back, I might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #894
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Well when Peter comes back, I'm 100% certain that his life as Peter Parker is going to rock. He's going to have a doctorate, be loaded and held in high regard like Reed Richards or Hank Pym.

Now his Spider-Man life on the other hand......

Old 07-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #895
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Well when Peter comes back, I'm 100% certain that his life as Peter Parker is going to rock. He's going to have a doctorate, be loaded and held in high regard like Reed Richards or Hank Pym.
But Peter didn't earn any of that. It's ill-gotten gains. But Slott's Peter won't care, since a sense of entitlement is another of his new character traits.

Quote:
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #896
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Your custom user title is very accurate.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #897
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Your custom user title is very accurate.
Yeah, I get that joke a lot. Meh, I'm just calling it like I see it. And I don't have an axe to grind against Slott, like some do. I have no problem saying I'm enjoying Superior and I think it's a good run. But I'm also not going to sugarcoat my feelings about his characterization of Peter, which I think is the worst aspect of his run.

Quote:
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #898
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I don't miss Peter Parker. At least the way Dan was writing him (single, early 20's hipster man-child.... please, try to argue with that).
I on't see Peter behaving like a "man-child" during Slott's run... maybe on some of the other writers during the BND era, but Slott has (to me) written him in a much more mature manner... and he comes across as being closer to 30 in my eyes...

But he is single...

There's no doubt about that one...

And somehow, if Doc Ock earned him a doctorate, something tells me that Peter would throw it back... or just not use it to his advantage... I'm not sure where "sense of entitlement" comment of yours comes from...

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #899
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

What kills me is that even if Peter does come back, its still not the Peter that experienced marrying MJ and half of the stories we've read thanks to One More Day. Damn Joe Quesada.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #900
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
I on't see Peter behaving like a "man-child" during Slott's run... maybe on some of the other writers during the BND era, but Slott has (to me) written him in a much more mature manner... and he comes across as being closer to 30 in my eyes...

But he is single...

There's no doubt about that one...

And somehow, if Doc Ock earned him a doctorate, something tells me that Peter would throw it back... or just not use it to his advantage... I'm not sure where "sense of entitlement" comment of yours comes from...

Maybe "sense of entitlement" wasn't that fair, but I do feel like he's a lot more selfish than he used to be, even thoughtless. Like saving his elderly aunt at the expense of his marriage (not Slott's fault I know) or his ghost recently admitting he didn't want SpOck to save the girl in the hospital because it would tip him off to his presence. There's other examples. Maybe "too wrapped him up in himself" is a more accurate description. So I just don't see him caring about whether the Doctorate was earned fair and square.

Quote:
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Closed Thread