The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #251
cheungcheung
Side-Kick

Default Re: Mysterious Character: The Peter Dinklage Thread

dinklage as trask would be great. who cares if he already showed up in Last Stand. treat it like the hank mccoy cameo in X2

cheungcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #252
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Not feeling this guy as Trask....I'd rather they bring back the guy from The Last Stand. Let him be MODOK

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #253
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungcheung View Post
dinklage as trask would be great. who cares if he already showed up in Last Stand. treat it like the hank mccoy cameo in X2
Some people would still view it as a continuity error. I feel like if they keep doing this, it would just show they don't really care that much about the continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Not feeling this guy as Trask....I'd rather they bring back the guy from The Last Stand. Let him be MODOK
FOX doesn't have the movie rights for Modok.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #254
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Some people would still view it as a continuity error. I feel like if they keep doing this, it would just show they don't really care that much about the continuity.
We now have two different versions of Emma (the First Class and the Origins), two different versions of Sabretooth (X1 and Origins), and if we get two different Trasks (X3 and DoFP) it will be just another character that's not supposed to be the same as the other one. Just like people have said that Alex Summers just happens to have the same surname as Scott Summers but they are not related. Yikes.

The problem comes mainly from no overall 'map' of this series at the studio and also from wasting well-known characters in small roles. That secretary in X3 didn't need to be called Trask at all, but with each film they cram in as much as they can. It's almost like they think they aren't making any more X-Men movies and that's the only chance they will get to use the characters. They need to take a deep breath and think ahead a little more, in my view.

Having said that, we don't know at this point if Peter Dinklage is playing Trask. He might be someone else altogether! And I don't mind if he is Trask, to be honest, because i don't think anyone will remember that was the name of Bill Dukes' character. But they need to be careful with this sort of thing so we don't have any more of these duplicate identities in the series.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
X-Maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #255
Angamb
Banned User

as many fans have mentioned both on the board and other sites, Bill's character was just secretary Trask.

He never had the Bolivar Trask role of the comics, so its not an actual error.

Bret and the writers did a nod to the Bolivar of the comics? ok. but Bill role's was nothing like that.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #256
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
as many fans have mentioned both on the board and other sites, Bill's character was just secretary Trask.

He never had the Bolivar Trask role of the comics, so its not an actual error.

Bret and the writers did a nod to the Bolivar of the comics? ok. but Bill role's was nothing like that.
Yes, but it was a bad nod, not a good nod! Lol. There were no Sentinels in X3 (apart from the Danger Room hologram) so it was not a good idea to use the Trask name.

We better be prepared for more of this, I suppose, as we'll probably get another Psylocke at some point and also another Deadpool (perhaps the same actor but not the same version as in Origins).

Hopefully Bryan and Millar and the writers and producers are thinking a bit more foward now, to what might come next and who will be in it.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #257
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
We now have two different versions of Emma (the First Class and the Origins), two different versions of Sabretooth (X1 and Origins), and if we get two different Trasks (X3 and DoFP) it will be just another character that's not supposed to be the same as the other one. Just like people have said that Alex Summers just happens to have the same surname as Scott Summers but they are not related. Yikes.
Havok/Cyclops is different to Trask/Emma. Havok and Cyclops are two different people and even though they are related in the comics, its not a big deal if they aren't brothers in the movies (especially they were shown in different time periods). Its not the 1st time they did this and its not considered as a continuity error. Just for example, Mystique not being Nightcrawler's mother in X2 and not being Rogue's foster mother and Juggernaut not being Prof X's step brother in X3.

They already got a lot of questions about the Emma situation and they might be doing it again with Bolivar Trask. People might not care about it because Bolivar Trask isn't a X-Men and was hardly memorable in X3 but it will still be a continuity error, if they decided to bring Peter Dinklage as Trask in DOFP. We all know "Secretary Trask" was Bolivar Trask in X3 and there's no reason to deny it just because DOFP might have a Bolivar Trask character too. Even if they didn't stay true to his role in the comics, its still Bolivar Trask. thats like saying William Stryker wasn't really William Stryker because he was a Scientist in the movies and not a priest like in the comics.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #258
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

In hindsight, the Origins Emma thing really shouldn't have been an issue, as she's credited as 'Emma, Kayla's sister', and is never identified by any other nom-de-plume in the film itself, and the diamond-hard skin thing is presented differently enough that it shouldn't have been a problem.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #259
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Well she got her own trailer and was included in the posters.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #260
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Her TV spot clearly wasn't canon or she would've been credited as Emma Frost. The fact that she got her own poster doesn't mean all that much with regards to whether or not people should've made a big deal out of the similarities between her and First Class!Emma.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #261
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, if i could manage to write anything on here without that frickin crappy Hansel and Gretel movie advert popping up over everything, I would say that it's pretty obvious they intended that to be Emma Frost.

There's no getting away from that. At that time, they were setting up the end of Origins to lead into the earlier version of X-Men: First Class scripted by Josh Schwartz and I remember an interview where it was said the characters chosen as prisoners to be rescued by Xavier were going to be featuring in First Class.

My point is that they should take care over slotting in minor characters who then have to be re-conceived for a major role in another movie. These 'nods' obviously don't work in the long term.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #262
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Plain and simple, while she was intended to be Emma Frost, she was never credited as such in the movie itself.

Therefore, it can be looked as if she was another person/character entirely.

Bolivar Trask is a whole other story.

He was called Trask in the movie itself. There's no denying it was Trask.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #263
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, if i could manage to write anything on here without that frickin crappy Hansel and Gretel movie advert popping up over everything, I would say that it's pretty obvious they intended that to be Emma Frost.

There's no getting away from that. At that time, they were setting up the end of Origins to lead into the earlier version of X-Men: First Class scripted by Josh Schwartz and I remember an interview where it was said the characters chosen as prisoners to be rescued by Xavier were going to be featuring in First Class.

My point is that they should take care over slotting in minor characters who then have to be re-conceived for a major role in another movie. These 'nods' obviously don't work in the long term.
What they intended to do and what they actually did are two completely different things. It should've been obvious to everyone that Silverfox's sister Emma wasn't canonically supposed to be Emma Frost once January Jones was cast as that character in First Class, and the issue of 'two Emma Frosts' never should've come up.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. Yes, Bill Duke' s character was addressed as Secretary Trask, but that doesn't automatically mean that he was intended to be BOLIVAR TRASK, and even if he was, this wouldn't be the first time that a character has been recast and initial intent retconned (should Dinklage end up being Bolivar Trask).

Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #264
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Plain and simple, while she was intended to be Emma Frost, she was never credited as such in the movie itself.

Therefore, it can be looked as if she was another person/character entirely.

That's not a whole other story. That's simply switching a first name for a last one and ignoring the credits. Duke is called Secretary Trask, not Bolivar Trask, and he's never credited as Bolivar Trask. The fact that people think a 6 foot African American man and Peter Dinklange are going to raise eyebrows as a distinct continuity error between two movies released almost ten years apart, compared to two beautiful blonde women credited as Emma, who both notably transform their skin into diamond, in movies released two years apart, is silly. Audiences are much more likely to question the latter than the former.

Last edited by BMM; 02-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #265
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #266
BMM
Side-Kick

Unless, I'm mistaken. That card isn't a movie, and it's no worse than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDY5T1nSBys

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #267
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Unless, I'm mistaken. That card isn't a movie, and it's no worse than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDY5T1nSBys

Oh, thanks, I wasn't sure for a second.

Anyway, I just find this whole thing amusing, so that's why I posted the picture. Whatever you wanna call it, a nod, a cameo, Secretary Trask was clearly meant to be Bolivar Trask in X3, but since he was never directly referred to as Bolivar Trask in the movie, this gives Singer and co. an out to re-introduce the character (but I would have liked to see what would have happened if he were referred to by his first name). It's not unlike when "Dr. Shaw" shows up in X2, but he is not directly referred to as Sebastian Shaw, so he was able to be used in FC.

So, yes, I'm in agreement with some of you. Imagine that?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #268
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

He was called Trask, not Bolivar Trask.

Was him the creator of the sentinels on X3? No, so no error.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #269
The Guard
Side-Kick

If they're going with alternate universe stuff, Trask in one could very much be a little white guy.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #270
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It would be funny if Dinklage wasn't playing Trask after all... lol

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #271
laytonc32
Side-Kick

Yeah who knows at this point, but who else would he be? I brought up the idea of him being the voice of the Sentinels or as a specific one like Mastermold, Bastion, or Nimrod. I suppose we still have the radical ideas out there like him being a mocap character (either Sinister or Apocalypse). I am not sure about the latter. I want to see those characters in a future X-Men film, but I think they deserve their own film (I would love a trilogy dedicated to them really). They need a lot of setting up, otherwise they won't work rushed. Wouldn't mind seeing a Sinister cameo or a nod to him or Apocalypse some where in the film.

laytonc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #272
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:

Which kinda leads you to question, why cast that actress as Emma Frost? That Cyclops actor wasn't bad though. But who are all those other characters who were now supposedly part of First Class. That ending was just a mess...

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #273
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
What they intended to do and what they actually did are two completely different things. It should've been obvious to everyone that Silverfox's sister Emma wasn't canonically supposed to be Emma Frost once January Jones was cast as that character in First Class, and the issue of 'two Emma Frosts' never should've come up.
At the time Origins was released, we all thought that was Emma Frost. In fact, the TV spot told us so.

When First Class came out, people then had to work out that the timelines meant we now had to believe the Emma in Origins was no longer Emma Frost. It was Origins that came first, it didn't do anything wrong as such (although its Emma wasn't a telepath and the diamond-morphing effect wasn't as good as in First Class) - it was just retconned by First Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Anyway, this is getting off-topic. Yes, Bill Duke' s character was addressed as Secretary Trask, but that doesn't automatically mean that he was intended to be BOLIVAR TRASK, and even if he was, this wouldn't be the first time that a character has been recast and initial intent retconned (should Dinklage end up being Bolivar Trask).
Again, I think you're scratching around for justifications here when it's clear he was meant to be Bolivar Trask. There's a collectors card in this thread showing that name against a picture of Bill Duke.

Bottom line is that I don't mind if they have cast Dinklage as Trask, but I do think that the franchise has to take care with adding in minor characters as nods to fans. It just leads to continuity hiccups when they want to use those minor characters again but in a major role.

They don't need to cram all those nods into a movie. Bill Duke should never have been Trask because there was no creation of Sentinels in that film.

Someone said to me that Dinklage could be Henry Peter Gyrich, who also created Sentinels. But Gyrich was already in X1, where Mystique took his place (as revealed on the helicopter where she first shows her true form to the viewer). Magneto tells Senator Kelly that Gyrich has been 'dead for some time' and at the end of X1, the news bulletin says the body of Gyrich has been found and it appears to have 'mauled by a bear' - clearly we are meant to think Gyrich was killed by Sabretooth.

It does, however, seem very possible that Dinklage is playing Bolivar Trask because Trask was the first creator of Sentinels in the comics. Now we have Singer back on board, and Millar advising (at some point anyway), these minor continuity glitches and character rethinks/retcons should hopefully stop. They need to be thinking of more than one film at a time. Marvel Studios has managed it.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #274
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Badass Digest is guessing Mr. Sinister.

Kathrynn Winnick for Wonder Woman
SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #275
DarknessOfDeath
Trust no one...but Cobie!