The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Where are the monsters?

there need to be big monsters in the film; to fight, to run from, to chase. Just like in the first film. The old TV series just didn't have the budget for big, scary creatures. This film series needs to up the ante in that regard. Swamp planets, forest planets, ice planets, desert planets, underwater planets. There should be multiple venues for encountering the various creatures.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Where are the monsters?

This is not Star Wars...

And if you've seen the 9 min prelude: The monster you want is right there

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
there need to be big monsters in the film; to fight, to run from, to chase. Just like in the first film. The old TV series just didn't have the budget for big, scary creatures. This film series needs to up the ante in that regard. Swamp planets, forest planets, ice planets, desert planets, underwater planets. There should be multiple venues for encountering the various creatures.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

They should have monsters for what purpose?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
They should have monsters for what purpose?
apparantly to run away from them. On sand planets, ice planets, forest planets and so on. there should be light saber duels too

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Picard Sisko

We had a monster chase in the 2009 film, and that was more than enough.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I want to see updated versions of the Gorn, Mugatu, and the salt vampire-metamorph.. ah.. now all that would be a wonder of FX..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I've seen the 9 minute preview, twice. Now my memory is not what it once was, but I definitely do not remember there being any monsters in it...

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I want to see updated versions of the Gorn, Mugatu, and the salt vampire-metamorph.. ah.. now all that would be a wonder of FX..
Well I would certainly want to see an updated version of the Gorn. They tried to give us a CGI update in Enterprise, but it didn't look that good.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

I also would like to see the Salt Vampires again. Not a whole movie built around them, though.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

If JJ was interested in making a real Star Trek film the Gorn would make a good villains.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Definitely finding myself asking this recently as well. Including - where are all the widely diverse planets? I'm finding it's mainly industrial, in and out of ships and in the city. I guess I'm just hoping for a planet sprawling adventure like the last film because that was one of my favorite parts in how diverse the film was.

I just truly believe the marketing department is hiding something because 50% of what is in trailer 2 is precisely from the 9 minute prologue, so they're just showing us the first 9 minutes of the film in the marketing! There has to be more planet hopping or something that they're not showing us because I just don't see JJ having this film be basically city-bound.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 03-14-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Does anyone else get the feeling that this version of Star Trek looks less credible ? I mean the crew looks great but the way they are written, they do Not feel like scientists, explorers like the old ones did.

Look at the pictures of old franchises, compared to them this version is shallow.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that this version of Star Trek looks less credible?
Nope.
Quote:
I mean the crew looks great
Yes they do.
Quote:
but the way they are written, they do Not feel like scientists, explorers like the old ones did.
Like the old ones? You mean TOS from the 60's (I won't bring the sequel series in on this since the movie is made about the characters from the 60's series) where the only scientist was Mr. Spock? Or explorers like the Davey Jones from the rock group the MONKEES lookalike (Chekov was created to be a combination Jones and Illya Kuryakin from the Man from UNCLE). I mean, I know when I first watched TOS I immediately said to myself - Thank god they at least got actors like William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, and Grace Lee Whitney that look and feel like real scientists for the show.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Thank god they at least got actors like William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, and Grace Lee Whitney that look and feel like real scientists for the show.
Actually, Canada's entire National Research Council is staffed by hyperintelligent clones of William Shatner, so that part is true.

Unfortunately, we don't get too many discoveries from them. Because ... it ... takes ... them ... forever ... to ... explain ... everything.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Actually, Canada's entire National Research Council is staffed by hyperintelligent clones of William Shatner, so that part is true.

Unfortunately, we don't get too many discoveries from them. Because ... it ... takes ... them ... forever ... to ... explain ... everything.
That can't be true....Rodney McKay speaks a mile a minute.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that this version of Star Trek looks less credible ? I mean the crew looks great but the way they are written, they do Not feel like scientists, explorers like the old ones did.

Look at the pictures of old franchises, compared to them this version is shallow.

I blame it on the fact that they are still supposed to be the young, or younger, versions of the characters as we know them in the original series.

As stated in footage descriptions for Star Trek Into Darkness,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
They haven't even gone on the 5 year mission yet.

I'm sure we'll get there.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is online now   Reply With Quote