The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #201
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 8

I could definitely see it going that route.

Man, I can't wait to see the Extremis in action though. A whole bunch of armor pieces flying around Tony will be great spectacle on screen.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #202
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

has anyone seen these Stark os Windows Themes?
http://www.customize.org/NCK97

and do they work?

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #203
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I don't know, Sam. The trailers seem to indicate he has a bigger role. For one thing, it looks like they're trying to play up a possible Killian/Pepper relationship.
Oh, I think Killians' role is definitely big --- he'll be the "Scientist Supreme" of AIM, and the true puppet master of Mandarin and everybody else. But that doesn't necessarily translate to screen time. He could just have an early business encounter with Stark regarding Extremis, and later have a scene where he tries to steal Pepper away from Tony (and/or kidnap her, if the rumor is to be believed), and then not really show up again until the climax, after Iron Man and Mandarin have spent the bulk of the movie stalking each other.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #204
Victarion
Cut

I hate that idea; I had hoped this would be Mandarin's show with Killian as a "public face." A Vader to Mandarin's Emperor, if you will.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #205
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Oh, I think Killians' role is definitely big --- he'll be the "Scientist Supreme" of AIM, and the true puppet master of Mandarin and everybody else. But that doesn't necessarily translate to screen time. He could just have an early business encounter with Stark regarding Extremis, and later have a scene where he tries to steal Pepper away from Tony (and/or kidnap her, if the rumor is to be believed), and then not really show up again until the climax, after Iron Man and Mandarin have spent the bulk of the movie stalking each other.

Making Killian the Mandarin's puppet master would be as bad as making Talia Bane's boss was. It's probably the other way 'round: Mandarin controls A.I.M. and Killian, who is a lead scientist. Later on, Killian gets infected with Extremis himself and is used by Mandarin. And he'll likely end up dead, just as he did in the comics.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #206
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Mandarin looks like he's been supremely nerfed in this movie. Kingsley apparently brings the scary, according to cast and crew who were there to watch his scenes; but everything we've seen in trailers and screenshots seem to indicate Mandarin is a parody of himself. He looks and acts like a combination of Bin Laden, Carlos the Jackal, and Fidel Castro. He wears Sears-issue pro-gun T-shirts under fake Chinese robes, while eating fortune cookies, with nary a hint of irony. He doesn't even seem to realize he's a parody.

So someone like that could *easily* be controlled by a "brainiac" like an AIM Scientist Supreme, which Killian is likely to be. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Shane Black and Hollywood make veiled inferences that "big bad" Osama bin Laden was just a puppet of American corporate greed and control, and the Mandarin-Killian relationship will be an analogy of that.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #207
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I don't think Killian will be the Mallen of the comics where he's infected and goes on a rampage. but I think he'll be the Mallen in that he's the main villanary guy until he either gets beat or Mandarin feels he has to ultimately step in.

I liked whoever said he's the Vader to Mandarin as the Emperor.. but I want to see the Emperor(Mandy) fight like twice-ish, like once with a W vs Stark then with the L at the end.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #208
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Mandarin looks like he's been supremely nerfed in this movie. Kingsley apparently brings the scary, according to cast and crew who were there to watch his scenes; but everything we've seen in trailers and screenshots seem to indicate Mandarin is a parody of himself. He looks and acts like a combination of Bin Laden, Carlos the Jackal, and Fidel Castro. He wears Sears-issue pro-gun T-shirts under fake Chinese robes, while eating fortune cookies, with nary a hint of irony. He doesn't even seem to realize he's a parody.

So someone like that could *easily* be controlled by a "brainiac" like an AIM Scientist Supreme, which Killian is likely to be. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Shane Black and Hollywood make veiled inferences that "big bad" Osama bin Laden was just a puppet of American corporate greed and control, and the Mandarin-Killian relationship will be an analogy of that.
I don't think it will be:

1. Killian
2. Mandy

it's gotta be the other way around. Also we can't tell anything from the 1.5 trailer we've gotten so far. No way Marvel would run Mandy out there as a henchman, regardless of how you take that quote that one guy said.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #209
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I don't think it will be:

1. Killian
2. Mandy

it's gotta be the other way around. Also we can't tell anything from the 1.5 trailer we've gotten so far. No way Marvel would run Mandy out there as a henchman, regardless of how you take that quote that one guy said.
Who said he's a henchman? I say he's an unwitting pawn. He thinks he's got Killian in his pocket, but it's the other way around. He's a figurehead stooge, a "boogeyman" created by the West to keep Americans scared out of their wits and looking under their beds at night for suicide bombers.

Again: just like Bin Laden. This is political allegory. Shane has made it a point of saying this is a political thriller, right? And keep in mind that Mandarin wasn't even announced until late in the game. Feige and Black kept downplaying Mandarin in the movie, saying that he's just too outdated and racially insensitive as a character to add to the Iron Man cinematic mythos. And then: they did. As a parody.

People expecting Mandarin to be some awesome supervillain are going to be sadly mistaken, I'm positive. Even the leaked LEGO sets hint that Mandarin's "final battle" with Tony might not amount to more than him driving around in some kind of flamethrowing forklift on the docks; and that the final act seems to find an Extremis Killian fleeing from IM and WM in a speedboat. Put two and two together, and Killian seems to be more important as a villain than Mandarin is.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #210
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

I think you're taking it the wrong way. Feige has stated the Mandarin is an amalgamation of cultures which he perverts, so of course he would have all those mix-mashes of things. He's also meant to be somewhat humorous judging on everything that has been spoiled, so yeah. Personally, I'm glad they're making him this off-kilter villain. It's much more interesting than the Fu Man Chu portrayal from the comics.

I also don't believe Mandarin is a pawn. Killian and Mandarin have a partnership. Killian sales his research to the Mandarin, Mandarin uses it to carry out his own plans. Neither of them are pawns, they're just working partners who benefit from each other.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #211
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:

Marvel films aren't that deep, nor do I ever expect them to be.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #212
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Marvel films aren't that deep, nor do I ever expect them to be.
I didn't say it was going to be a deep political thriller, either. Just simplistic Hollywood bandwagoning onto easy targets. They do that in genre films all the time. Hell, even Shane Black is guilty of it: look at Lethal Weapon 3 or 4 or whichever it was, that made the "profound" observation that South African apartheid was bad.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #213
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Who said he's a henchman? I say he's an unwitting pawn. He thinks he's got Killian in his pocket, but it's the other way around. He's a figurehead stooge, a "boogeyman" created by the West to keep Americans scared out of their wits and looking under their beds at night for suicide bombers.

Again: just like Bin Laden. This is political allegory. Shane has made it a point of saying this is a political thriller, right? And keep in mind that Mandarin wasn't even announced until late in the game. Feige and Black kept downplaying Mandarin in the movie, saying that he's just too outdated and racially insensitive as a character to add to the Iron Man cinematic mythos. And then: they did. As a parody.

People expecting Mandarin to be some awesome supervillain are going to be sadly mistaken, I'm positive. Even the leaked LEGO sets hint that Mandarin's "final battle" with Tony might not amount to more than him driving around in some kind of flamethrowing forklift on the docks; and that the final act seems to find an Extremis Killian fleeing from IM and WM in a speedboat. Put two and two together, and Killian seems to be more important as a villain than Mandarin is.
hmm you make some solid points, definitely going to keep my mind open to both sides of the Mandy-Killian relationship.

I'm looking at it more of Mandy is the financial backer for Killian or has Killian underneath him because of something Killian wants, possibly power (whether that be financially or business driven against Tony and his tech) at first and maybe revenge against Tony later on for causing him some sort of personal angst (possibly Stark blowing up AIMs plans) hence him becoming Extermis-ized thru Mandy's advice with the extremis tech he [Killian] already has (assuming AIM are the ones to have it) to really try and get back at Tony.

Where Mandy is always in the background having all this go as plan for his major plans. He then has to step in personally when Killian and other desperate peoples vying for revenge against Tony and friends ultimately fail. (coldblood & firepower maybe?) ((can't remember if that's their names lol))

So I see it more as Killian needs Mandy and Mandy is using him, maybe even making Killian seem to think it's the other way around, in order to fufill his master plans. I don't think Mandy is supposed to be parody per-say but forms and image of himself as to who the people of the past have feared and he possibly looks up to/respects (Bin Laden and other scary guys I can't think of haha)

Looking forward to your response!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #214
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

boom.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #215
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Total and utter boss this guy is.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #216
thalidomide
The Enemy

Mandarin in camo pants = badass!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #217
Godsfireworks
Arch Duke of Anemone

Awesome!!!

Proud Member of GOSA (Geyser Observation and Study Association)

Follow my adventures:
http://godsfireworks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #218
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #219
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

I've been waiting for Mandarin to show up, and now that he's finally here I'm so thrilled Kinsley is on aboard.

Funnily enough, Sir Ben looks like this "Genghis Khan of Asgard..." and knowing how fitting that is when he's fictionally related to Genghis Khan. I want to hear more of his voice to get a better idea of what he'll sound like, but so far... I think he's the perfect choice! Hoping he becomes my favorite villain of the Marvel film universe!

P.S. Don't know the story of the shades, but if they're Stark's and he nicked them... then I'll be even more pleased.

l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #220
irapogi
Side-Kick

bing, bang, BOOM.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #221
xeno000
Raining hell from above

That Mandarin poster is gorgeous. His costume is perfect, from the silk robe to the fatigue pants with dragon motif on the side. Our old friend Fin Fang Foom is curving around the background, while the dog tags of Extremis soldiers are hanging from a pot beside him. The costume designers managed the tricky feat of translating the Mandarin's look to the big screen while avoiding the pitfalls of stereotyping.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #222
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Yes now this looks good.
He looks badass.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #223
xeno000
Raining hell from above

The full image from Empire is even better. Mandarin has what looks like Captain America's helmet from WWII on one side and Iron Man's helmet crushed underfoot.

Last edited by xeno000; 02-22-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #224
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Awesome poster - possibly the best so far. No silly sparks, no boring blue/orange contrast yet still very eye-catching.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #225
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The full image from Empire is even better. Mandarin has what looks like Captain America's helmet from WWII on one side and Iron Man's helmet crushed underfoot.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

That's not Cap's helmet. Looks like a UN helmet to me.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Closed Thread