The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

View Poll Results: Should the Prequels receive a "Special Edition" with an improved CGI?
Yes 5 38.46%
No 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14,044
Default Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

We all know the negative reception these films have gotten, and what used to be very advanced special effects badly used, is now CGI that has aged quite badly, this is expecialy true in Episode I and II.

The Prequels will always be part of the main canon, there is no changing that, however, if any film needs a "special edition" it's the Prequels, the creatures now look like unfinished effects, but i'm quite sure Disney has more than enough resources to "fix" that.

They do not oun the full rights of Episode IV from what i understand, but they oun all of the Prequels, considering we'll most likely see spin-offs in this time period too, i think Disney should try remastering these films. They're still part of the saga Episode VII is continuing after all, so it's in everyone's best interest to make the look of the movies be more cohesive.

I'm not sure Episode III necessarily needs this, maybe a few tweaks here and there, but II is the one that needs the most retouches due to its overreliance on CGI, while Episode I had effects that worked most of the time with the exception of the Gugans, with how much effects have improved, i think their look needs to be finished.

Agree? Disagree? Is it more trouble than it's worth? I vote for specialized editions supervised by the Sequel Trilogy team for Episodes I and II.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,245
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

In all honesty, i dont really care. If they want to invest their time and money in something like this, i guess it's fine. If they dont, it's fine too, i wont lose sleep over it. I'll still enjoy these films regardless You should have put that third option in the poll

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Drizzle
Big Walking Carpet
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Home
Posts: 11,109
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

I think that out of the three prequels, only Attack of the Clones had some truly horrendous CGI, and that's mainly the clones themselves.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,245
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
I think that out of the three prequels, only Attack of the Clones had some truly horrendous CGI, and that's mainly the clones themselves.
For me the worse CGI in AOTC is Obi-Wan's beard lol. I can tell which scenes were reshoots because of it

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,913
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Not only the cgi but I wish they could remove the artificial softening they slapped on AOTC. Lucas thought the crisp digital look would be weird visually since people were used to 35mm film so he had ILM soften the picture in post-production. With ROTS he left the picture alone which is why its pristine on blu-ray. I wish they could go back and do a new transfer of AOTC without that softening and release that on blu-ray.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain
 
DaddlerTheDalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NRW, Germany
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?
No. I don't need even more "Special Editions".

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
You're watching a Poster!
DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,245
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Not only the cgi but I wish they could remove the artificial softening they slapped on AOTC. Lucas thought the crisp digital look would be weird visually since people were used to 35mm film so he had ILM soften the picture in post-production. With ROTS he left the picture alone which is why its pristine on blu-ray. I wish they could go back and do a new transfer of AOTC without that softening and release that on blu-ray.
I actually didnt know that, or i'm getting old and it just slipped my mind lol. Now you left me wondering what AOTC would look like without the softening, cause ROTS looks amazing on blu-ray...

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 AM   #8
spiderman2
Side-Kick
 
spiderman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,264
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

No episode 1 and 2 where terable and it wasn't just because of the CGI that they where so bad so who cares they had much bigger problems then CGI. Episode 3 was good but the CGI is just fine in that movie.

__________________
Top 10 CBM off all time
1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.The amazing spider man 2 5.Dark knight 6.Xmen DOFP 7.Cap winter solder 8.XMEN FC. 9.Amazing spider man 10.spider man
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #9
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 14,044
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman2 View Post
No episode 1 and 2 where terable and it wasn't just because of the CGI that they where so bad so who cares they had much bigger problems then CGI. Episode 3 was good but the CGI is just fine in that movie.
We all know that, but those films still belong to the Director, and the best way to improve them without completely changing what they are is to improve upon the CGI.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
HarryOsborn
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 571
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

It's hilarious how you ask a question about special effects- something unrelated to a film's quality and turn it into "i like the prequels so who cares". THIS IS A POLL FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU GUYS! If you love these movies wouldn't you love to see 2015 special effects on the gungan v battle droid fight in Episode I or the Droid factory in Episode II? Everything doesn't have to be a debate, special effects age, especially CGI. The force lightning in Jedi isn't looking as great as it could, neither is Luke's lightsaber in A New Hope. Just because someone says something negative doesn't mean it's targeting the film as a whole.

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
Thoix
Side-Kick
 
Thoix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 917
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Besides a few shots/scenes in the trilogy, especially AOTC, there really is no need for updating the CGI. The one thing I really want to see improved for prequels, and all six films, are all new transfers. I wonder if we will ever see a version of AOTC that doesn't has the artificial softening.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
drod1985
Ragnarock n' Roll
 
drod1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 10880 Malibu Point
Posts: 756
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

I don't care for the prequels, but if the opportunity arises then yes, they should update the CBI. I (barely) watched TPM the other day and it looks pretty dated.

drod1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
HarryOsborn
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 571
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod1985 View Post
I don't care for the prequels, but if the opportunity arises then yes, they should update the CBI. I (barely) watched TPM the other day and it looks pretty dated.
There's a lot of practical effects as well so not terribly. Clones is pretty bad only because of all the Jedi Temple scenes. I don't think it would be terribly hard to update, especially given the 3-D updates from the past few years.

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,871
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Sure, can't make them look worse.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #15
Soapy
It's all good man!
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,544
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

If that's something Disney wants to do, then fine. But I personally really don't care one way or the other.

I will say this though, if they choose to go down this road, then I hope they do a hell of a lot better than George about making the originals (and all subsequent versions) available to consumers.

__________________
Your Game Music of the Week: "Sealed Time" from Ys III

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick
 
The_Manhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 938
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
We all know the negative reception these films have gotten, and what used to be very advanced special effects badly used, is now CGI that has aged quite badly, this is expecialy true in Episode I and II.

The Prequels will always be part of the main canon, there is no changing that, however, if any film needs a "special edition" it's the Prequels, the creatures now look like unfinished effects, but i'm quite sure Disney has more than enough resources to "fix" that.

They do not oun the full rights of Episode IV from what i understand, but they oun all of the Prequels, considering we'll most likely see spin-offs in this time period too, i think Disney should try remastering these films. They're still part of the saga Episode VII is continuing after all, so it's in everyone's best interest to make the look of the movies be more cohesive.

I'm not sure Episode III necessarily needs this, maybe a few tweaks here and there, but II is the one that needs the most retouches due to its overreliance on CGI, while Episode I had effects that worked most of the time with the exception of the Gugans, with how much effects have improved, i think their look needs to be finished.

Agree? Disagree? Is it more trouble than it's worth? I vote for specialized editions supervised by the Sequel Trilogy team for Episodes I and II.
A definite no from me. I think they are really good how they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
We all know that, but those films still belong to the Director, and the best way to improve them without completely changing what they are is to improve upon the CGI.
Not trying to start a hostile debate or anything, but we do? I think they are great.

__________________
1) Avengers Age of Ultron 2) Guardians of the Galaxy 3) The Avengers 4) Thor: The Dark World 5) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 6) Iron Man 7) Thor 8) Iron Man 2 9) The Incredible Hulk 10) Captain America: The First Avenger 11) Iron Man 3
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #17
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16,825
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Well, I can understand people liking them. But great?

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 34,304
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

__________________
FASTER THAN A SPEEDING HAMSTER...
-----MORE POWERFUL THAN A BOX OF TISSUES...
----------ABLE TO LEAP OFF OF TALL BUILDINGS AND HIT THE GROUND...
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick
 
The_Manhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 938
Default Re: Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, I can understand people liking them. But great?
I just watched them today, they are still great. This is just my opinion though

__________________
1) Avengers Age of Ultron 2) Guardians of the Galaxy 3) The Avengers 4) Thor: The Dark World 5) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 6) Iron Man 7) Thor 8) Iron Man 2 9) The Incredible Hulk 10) Captain America: The First Avenger 11) Iron Man 3
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.