The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Hordakfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Ana California
Posts: 442
Default The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Which Lucas effort from the last decade was more disappointing or are both equal?

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Prequels.

Kingdom was just meh. Prequels were a travesty.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...
 
Wesley Dodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,406
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Crystal Skull is just some crappy later adventure from the twilight years of Indy's career. It's easy enough to ignore.
The prequels told absolutely crucial-and decidedly unignorable- backstory... and did it in such an unbelievably boring and clunky way that they damaged the saga as a whole.

So, yeah, the prequels fo' sho'.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,278
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

I enjoy 'em both.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Happy Jack
Iconographer
 
Happy Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Future
Posts: 6,086
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Crystal Skulls is better than any of the prequels.

__________________
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Thoix
Side-Kick
 
Thoix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 499
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

The Holiday Special. :P

But serioisly KotCS. I enjoy watching the prequels and I find Indy 4 to be much more boring at times.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,549
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

I enjoyed Indy 4 and the prequels, so i i have no disappointments

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,805
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Honestly, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a subpar Indiana jones movie, but it's a pretty inoffensive family flick that can be enjoyed in its own right, provided you don't think too much.

The prequel movies, just weren't good. Not to say they didn't have some decent parts, but the second movie... was just... awful, with scenes that make you ****ing cringe. It's just painful to watch.

The third movie was actually tolerable.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Hordakfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Ana California
Posts: 442
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Third prequel was an improvement over the first 2 as it had almost a right step in the direction.

Indy 4 can be enjoyed if not as an Indy movie and do you agree aliens don't belong in an Indy movie?

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,805
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
Third prequel was an improvement over the first 2 as it had almost a right step in the direction.

Indy 4 can be enjoyed if not as an Indy movie and do you agree aliens don't belong in an Indy movie?
Honestly, I think ancient aliens could have worked. The real problem was, that they tried to tie it in to the UFO / alien phenomena of the mid 20th century, which they did rather poorly. In fact, I'm still unclear what the alien they found at Roswell had to do with the aliens in those ancient temples. Or why they even brought out Indiana Jones to look at an alien in the 1940's (Indie talks about it briefly). That may have been an allusion to the fact that one of the alleged witnesses of Roswell was an archeologist (Spielberg is a big UFO buff), but it doesn't make any sense the way it is presented.

Maybe because the movie was set in the 50's, they felt they had to incorporate that, but then they never seemed to do anything with it. A superior writer might have been able to pull that off, but Lucas was not.

So I think ancient aliens could have worked just fine. Contemporary aliens? Not so much.


Last edited by Thundercrack85; 12-05-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,217
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
Which Lucas effort from the last decade was more disappointing or are both equal?
Who says these things were disappointing? Crystal Skull has more widespread acclaim than you'd think, and the Prequels have more fandom acclaim than you'd think.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,805
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Who says these things were disappointing?
Pretty much everybody? You know it's bad when Shia Labeouf apologizes for a movie.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,494
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

The prequels to me at least were an interesting experiment. Some missteps were taken to be sure, but I still think taking your main protagonist and giving him a tragic arc where he becomes consumed with evil by the end is a pretty interesting thing to watch play out. The only comparison I can really think of is The Godfather Trilogy, except that transformation occurs in the first movie.

Indy 4 just felt like a heartless, tired sequel. I'd watch any of the prequels over Indy 4. In fact I never care to see Indy 4 again.

So, Prequels>Crystal Skull for me.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,671
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Problem is that the execution of that idea was bad, and i too like to see arcs where the character gets corrupted, and there are many more stories about that than you seem to notice, Breaking Bad was one for example.

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,494
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Of course execution matters most, but in general I tend to be more sympathetic to an ambitious and bold idea that falters in the execution than something uninspired and dull that is executed adequately. Even though the execution of the prequels themselves was uninspired and dull in many areas, at least there were moments where I became invested and emotionally engaged by the unfolding story. Can't say the same for Crystal Skull, which literally put me to sleep.

Also, Breaking Bad was is clearly a good example of that type of arc- but it was also a serious, adult drama that was grappling with dark and heavy themes from the start. Comes with the territory for a show about meth. The fact that the same type of tragic arc was attempted within the confines of what is essentially a children's/family franchise is why it stands out to me, and where I struggle to find an equivalent.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
LuisTX85
Caped Crusader
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,053
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

I actually enjoy both to be honest

__________________
75 Years Of The Dark Knight And Still Going Strong!
LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #17
vinsanity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 282
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

prequels

vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,920
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Crystal Skulls is infinitely better than ALL of the PT combined. There were some dumb and annoying things in Crystal Skull, but there were also things that I liked. I can sit down and watch that movie and mostly enjoy it. The ONLY PT movie that I can bear the rewatch is episode III, and that's a very flawed movie in it's own right.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #19
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Prequels. I really don't think people grasp how difficult it is to screw up Star Wars. Saoirise Ronan turned down a key role in Avengers 2, a follow to the third highest grossing film of all time, but auditioned for Star Wars VII. Almost everyone is willing to hop on board with Star Wars, there's absolutely no shortage of talent.

You guys know who expressed desire to play young Darth Vader? Leonardo DiCarprio a young heart throb who would go on to star in films such as; The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Inception, Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and the Wolf of Wall Street, and he was already the leading man in; The Man in the Iron Mask, Titanic (The highest grossing film of all time circa 2000), and Romeo and Juliet (experience that would have come in handy given this story served as inspiration for the Anakin/Padme tragedy). Instead Lucas casts less famous heart throb Hayden Christensen who's acting credentials included some tv shows and poorly received films from the 90s and who has since gone on to star in Jumper and Awake. See how this doesn't make any sense no matter what angle you spin it from (looks, talent, name value)?

I swear the only people who actually like the prequels are either:

1. People who refuse to accept movies they grew up watching weren't very good.
2. The causal movie goer who's entertained by films like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, and will like just about anything with action.
3. Obsessive Star Wars fans that will like anything with the logo on it.

I'll admit that yes there are much worse movies than the Star Wars prequels, but thing is it's just so hard to mess up. It's like Pizza, even when it's badly it still tastes pretty good, so you have to hold it to a higher standard. Little things like the fact George Lucas was the only writer and didn't allow creative input really put me off because you know how much better it could have been. While many of you may think Disney doesn't want to get away from the prequels it's clear they want to get away from Lucas' writing. Say what you want but it's no secret the guy had treatments, and if Disney thought they were remotely ready they wouldn't have brought on Arnt, Abrams, and Kershner on to rewrite the thing or have considered pushing it back an entire year.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a fun time with Harrison Ford and while it wasn't perfect it really wasn't that much worse than Temple of Doom. Short Round was arguably just as racist as Jar Jar Binks, the girl was obnoxious, and the whole Shiva thing was a bit odd. The movies were always corny, they just tried to do something new and it didn't work. At least they gave a good effort, you can read about 4 treatments from different screen writers that have made it on the internet. At least they didn't just phone it in and try to sell toys.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 44,958
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Prequels. I really don't think people grasp how difficult it is to screw up Star Wars. Saoirise Ronan turned down a key role in Avengers 2, a follow to the third highest grossing film of all time, but auditioned for Star Wars VII. Almost everyone is willing to hop on board with Star Wars, there's absolutely no shortage of talent.

You guys know who expressed desire to play young Darth Vader? Leonardo DiCarprio a young heart throb who would go on to star in films such as; The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Inception, Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and the Wolf of Wall Street, and he was already the leading man in; The Man in the Iron Mask, Titanic (The highest grossing film of all time circa 2000), and Romeo and Juliet (experience that would have come in handy given this story served as inspiration for the Anakin/Padme tragedy). Instead Lucas casts less famous heart throb Hayden Christensen who's acting credentials included some tv shows and poorly received films from the 90s and who has since gone on to star in Jumper and Awake. See how this doesn't make any sense no matter what angle you spin it from (looks, talent, name value)?

I swear the only people who actually like the prequels are either:

1. People who refuse to accept movies they grew up watching weren't very good.
2. The causal movie goer who's entertained by films like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, and will like just about anything with action.
3. Obsessive Star Wars fans that will like anything with the logo on it.

I'll admit that yes there are much worse movies than the Star Wars prequels, but thing is it's just so hard to mess up. It's like Pizza, even when it's badly it still tastes pretty good, so you have to hold it to a higher standard. Little things like the fact George Lucas was the only writer and didn't allow creative input really put me off because you know how much better it could have been. While many of you may think Disney doesn't want to get away from the prequels it's clear they want to get away from Lucas' writing. Say what you want but it's no secret the guy had treatments, and if Disney thought they were remotely ready they wouldn't have brought on Arnt, Abrams, and Kershner on to rewrite the thing or have considered pushing it back an entire year.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a fun time with Harrison Ford and while it wasn't perfect it really wasn't that much worse than Temple of Doom. Short Round was arguably just as racist as Jar Jar Binks, the girl was obnoxious, and the whole Shiva thing was a bit odd. The movies were always corny, they just tried to do something new and it didn't work. At least they gave a good effort, you can read about 4 treatments from different screen writers that have made it on the internet. At least they didn't just phone it in and try to sell toys.


You were warned...you were infracted....you are gone.....

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,671
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

What did he do in that post wrong? I'm kind of sleepy, but it looked like a reasonable post

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,549
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
What did he do in that post wrong? I'm kind of sleepy, but it looked like a reasonable post
The reasons he cites for why people like the PT are ridiculous (not to mention somewhat offensive because of what they insinuate). I speculate that might have played a part.

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #23
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,671
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

I don't find it offensive at all, it's mostly true in fact. And i'm somebody who became a Star Wars fan due to Episode III

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #24
Aztec
Side-Kick
 
Aztec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,143
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Yeah that dude didn't do anything wrong. Harsh justice! Anyhoo...

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was utterly atrocious. Nothing even salvageable from that disaster.

The Phantom Menace was equally as bad IMHO. AOTC was also a confused mess but not quite as nightmarish as either of the above.

I liked ROTS. It was flawed but overall I enjoyed it. The last 30 minutes were pretty worth it IMHO and it flows nicely when watched in Carrie/Machete Order right into ROTJ.

So I'm not sure I have a direct answer but I think I'd go with the prequels ultimately being the most heartbreaking but Kingdom being the far worse film.

__________________
Iron Man Captain America Thor Hulk
Black Widow Hawkeye Quicksilver Scarlet Witch Vision
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
Thoix
Side-Kick
 
Thoix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 499
Default Re: The prequels or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

BenKenobi had a problem with trying to talk down to anyone who liked the prequels. He's used a few insults before against other users, he was pretty insulting everyone that like the prequels in his post. Pretty offensive. Be sure to not to insult other in you posts.

And no, he did not use "true facts" in his post.


Last edited by Thoix; 01-07-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.