The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #51
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: J. Jonah Jameson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
I think the bugle would be great to convey the hate towards spidey. And it helps push the police agenda to get rid of him. I do agree, more police would be sweet. One of the sweetest parts of TASM.

Speaking of a spidey TV show, I hope it's not bog standard episodic. I like shows that follow an overall story arc

I would want 'freak of the week' for season 1 and then for season 2 I would want it go dark and have an overall arc.

Basically make a live action version of Spectacular Spider-Man and shift focus between The Bugle and highschool. Have a brilliant supporting cast and the audience wont care that there are only two action sequences per week.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #52
Creator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
You don't like RDJ? Whoa. Personally I think he is the greatest comic translation put to screen, I include Reeve's Superman and Ledgers Joker. The guy is like the SUN and makes everyone else he plays against seem mediocre in comparison. I pity the actor who plays IM after Downey tires of the role.
Nah, I'm counting down the days when they reboot IronMan with a new Tony Stark/IM. Reeve's Superman and Ledger's Joker, greatness! I'm with you all the way. RDJ, I was never impressed not for a second.

Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #53
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator View Post
Nah, I'm counting down the days when they reboot IronMan with a new Tony Stark/IM. Reeve's Superman and Ledger's Joker, greatness! I'm with you all the way. RDJ, I was never impressed not for a second.
Anyone that can make you route for them despite their past involving selling weapons is star in my book. I love Reeve's duality and I loved Ledger's menace but for me Downing is such fun I could watch an entire movie of just Stark with not a hint of IM in sight I don't know if I could watch a movie with Just Clark Kent or a movie with just Joker.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #54
elsewhere
omnipotent

Because RDJ is essentially playing himself. I didn't like him in the role at first, but he has grown on me. I still would have preferred Tom Cruise when he was attached.

And I agree with Creator that Simmons is sort of a ham as JJJ. Much like Spacey was in Returns.

Dial it down.

elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #55
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Because RDJ is essentially playing himself. I didn't like him in the role at first, but he has grown on me. I still would have preferred Tom Cruise when he was attached.

And I agree with Creator that Simmons is sort of a ham as JJJ. Much like Spacey was in Returns.

Dial it down.

Cruise?!!

As for RDJ, I don't follow the news that much so if RDJ is playing it a little on the nose that's neither here nor there to me because I have no idea what the actor is like off set and I haven't seen enough of RDJ's movies to compare his performances that said, RDJ in Zodiac was nothing like Tony Stark.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #56
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

I hate it when people talk about how "PEEEEERFECT" JK Simmons was and how no other actor could do it justice... yeah because you've only see JK Simmons portray him. Its not a difficult character to portray. You just need to be middle aged and loud. Plenty of actors out there who fit the description

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #57
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Who cares if RDJ similar to Tony irl, as long as it fits the character and the acting is great. Which is the case here.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #58
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Forget JJJ, I want to see Robbie done right (but not in this trilogy). Robbie is the only character in Spider-Man who right off the bat like Peter AND Spider-Man. I like that dynamic but if the Bugle were feature then JJJ would get the lion's share of scenes that why I couldn't care less if the Bugle doesn't appear in this movie.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #59
Creator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Because RDJ is essentially playing himself.
If I had to pinpoint it exactly, this would be my number 1 reason why I don't like RDJ as TS/IM, he's not playing a character, he's playing Robert Downey Jr. How hard is it to play yourself on screen?

Quote:
I didn't like him in the role at first, but he has grown on me. I still would have preferred Tom Cruise when he was attached.
Tom Cruise would have been a really good choice--just watch Minority Report. There's so many other good actors who wouldn't just take the role, to play themselves to get paid the big bucks.

Quote:

Dial it down.
The ironic thing is, I was all for Simmons playing JJJ, but this is when I thought that he was going to bring his more serious talents from Oz, Law & Order or even Sam Raimi's The Gift. I had no idea that they were going to turn him into a cheesy over-the-top ham.

Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #60
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anyone that can make you route for them despite their past involving selling weapons is star in my book. I love Reeve's duality and I loved Ledger's menace but for me Downing is such fun I could watch an entire movie of just Stark with not a hint of IM in sight I don't know if I could watch a movie with Just Clark Kent or a movie with just Joker.
Being the likeable ******* is fun at first and RDJ has enough charm to make you like the character. But sooner or later its not fresh anymore and he just becomes annoying. I don't dislike or hate him now but its just not as fun to watch as it once was.

Similar to the character of Jack Sparrow.

Spill

Last edited by Liam_H; 03-02-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #61
ImAlwaysAngry
Side-Kick

RDJ lost a lot of goodwill with IM2, which misunderstood the appeal of the character entirely. IM1 has him quippy and overconfident, amused by himself chiefly because he seems pretty lonely. Then tragedy, then the snark becomes an iron suit of its own. Great character growth there. IM2 just seemed to think "Tony being a dick is hilarious" and didn't integrate his wit with his arc at all, so the character seemed at best incoherent, and at worst like a mean frat boy.

Avengers redeemed him in the group setting and I'm confident in Shane Black's skills on IM3 bringing him fully back to that original performance's kernel of truth.

As to ASM2, I'd be more than happy to see Webb's more ground-level interpretation of JJJ. I'm betting it's Feore in the role and while I don't find Feore particularly exciting, that may be the point. JK Simmons was a marvel in the first 2, though the deficiency of script-depth was already becoming grating by round 2. The reason he succeeded was commitment to Raimi's tone. I've no doubt he'd be capable of the role in Webb's world, but he'd be playing such a different version of the character it'd make no sense to have him back.

It's a little like Sam Elliot in Ang Lee's HULK, the obvious ace-in-the-hole performance-wise in that flick. I wanted him back for TIH, but once I saw Leterrier's film (for all its flaws) I knew instantly why Elliot wasn't there. And Hurt was not only fine (if a little erratic), he brought out what that film needed of him - a coldness and a self-satisfaction. It wasn't the same character.

Like JJJ in ASM2. Not the same character. No sense asking for the same actor.

ImAlwaysAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #62
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
I don't think we'll see a Spidey TV show anytime soon as;
A) The eposides would cost a fortune to make
B) The series would dilute the impact of the movie i.e. if the TV series is on why bother going to see the movie.

That said, a TV series between ASM 2 and 3 would be perfect because I think there is going to be a 3 year gap so a season of Spidey in that time good timing.
Sorry, I wasnt saying there was going to be one. I was just meaning if there ever was one. Sorry for any confusion lol.

I also think that if there was a TV show, you could do it. But in the way HBO do it. 10-12 eps a season. You could get more out of your oney that way.

Quote:
I would want 'freak of the week' for season 1 and then for season 2 I would want it go dark and have an overall arc.

Basically make a live action version of Spectacular Spider-Man and shift focus between The Bugle and highschool. Have a brilliant supporting cast and the audience wont care that there are only two action sequences per week.
I would want an... origin season to start. Oh yes. I would.

I love the idea of a massive story arc build up. I also like the idea it would allow for longer periods of non spidey stuff, focusing on Pete and his friends.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #63
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

This just dawned on me.... how about Richard Jenkins? He played Dale's dad in Step Brothers and was also recently in Cabin in the Woods.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #64
ImAlwaysAngry
Side-Kick

Oh my God, Richard Jenkins would be the best thing ever. Richard Jenkins can do no wrong.

ImAlwaysAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #65
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Dennis Farina could have been a great JJJ.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #66
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Sorry, I wasnt saying there was going to be one. I was just meaning if there ever was one. Sorry for any confusion lol.

I also think that if there was a TV show, you could do it. But in the way HBO do it. 10-12 eps a season. You could get more out of your oney that way.

I would want an... origin season to start. Oh yes. I would.

I love the idea of a massive story arc build up. I also like the idea it would allow for longer periods of non spidey stuff, focusing on Pete and his friends.
If the supporting cast and drama are good enough you could get away with ONE acton sequence per episode.
Have villians that require little effects or at least effects that are relatively easy to pull off. Heck, drop super villians entirely and have Spidey battle The Mob, Italian or Japenese (like the 70's series).

Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #67
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Playing up the police would be unique to this film series of Spier-Man. We barely saw the police in the previous film have any real beef with spidey. Seeing the police shoot at him in TASM was awesome. I loved it. I hope they do it again. And having the bugle in it building up his 'infamous' status would only add to it
They were unique for the Spidey flicks, but the Spidey flicks are not alone in cinema or in the genre. I liked the police's inclusion, too, but they really don't have much else to do. Spidey isn't even blamed for Stacey's death, so there's no more drama here. JJJ on the other hand... he goes for the hearts of the people. Which is a good way to step up the anti-Spidey feel.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #68
FVD
Jolly Loves You

Quote:
I think the Bugle will get skipped again. This doesn't bother me as I think we've had the perfect JJJ my disappointment is we haven't had a decent Robbie and this is no slight on the actor, Raimi just decided to give screen time to his brother rather than give that screen time to Robbie. There is a scene where Robbie says to Pete 'I heard Spider-Man was there' and gives him a 'I know who you are look' and that was more interesting to be than every single Hoffman scene (what a superfluous character that was).
Ah yes I remember back in the day when I delivered take-out to Ted Raimi's room when he was working on Hercules/Xena in NZ. Good times!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #69
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
They were unique for the Spidey flicks, but the Spidey flicks are not alone in cinema or in the genre. I liked the police's inclusion, too, but they really don't have much else to do. Spidey isn't even blamed for Stacey's death, so there's no more drama here. JJJ on the other hand... he goes for the hearts of the people. Which is a good way to step up the anti-Spidey feel.
That's why I think the police will still play a massive part. If you add the element of JJ and the Bugle, you will hopfully see more reaction from the public which in turn has the police still on a manhunt. I'm sure the bugkle will blame Spidey for the death of Stacey somehow.

And I should rephrase the 'unique' comment. I meant that having the police in thise series in a far more active role, and against spidey, adds to that difference to the Raimi films

Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #70
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I see. Well, my response was to that other poster, who said he wanted the police role beefed up. I don't mind their being present in TASM2, but I don't want them having a larger part in the story.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #71
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I see. Well, my response was to that other poster, who said he wanted the police role beefed up. I don't mind their being present in TASM2, but I don't want them having a larger part in the story.

That's cool. I think seeing something like we saw in TASM is fine, as long as it fits. And if JJ and the bugle are involved, then all the better. We get to see how the media is working against spidey and succeeding if we see police and the public against him. But no, I don't want them to be a sole focus

Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #72
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Well I kinda thought they should do a different take on JJJ. I mean a new series, a new take. There isn't one version of any of the characters. Otherwise what's the point in making a new series?

WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #73
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Yeah, they need to do something new with the character. Maybe they should make him black. Or a woman.

Abudefduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #74
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

With JJJ, I see them using the Ult. version because he's more serious, like how some want him, but still comedic.

spidergeek232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #75
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Semi-Serious, dry, witty humor, you say?

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote