The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #276
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb36 View Post
You don't need a replacement. You have Miss Atwell already under contract.
If they were open to doing that, they'd have done it from the start.

Having Atwell as Sharon just fudges the difference between the two and minimizes Steve's loss, so it's a bad idea, anyway.

CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #277
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoe View Post
"Marginalized" implies the role was big to begin with. I'm not convinced it ever was that big a role. I think some trades just read way too much into her casting and jumped to conclusions. No one actually involved in the production of the movie ever said she played a big part in it. The whole supposedly long casting process might have been because they plan on possibly using her in a bigger capacity in Cap 3.

As far as Agent 13's role in Cap 2, I believe in the original WS story she was abducted by the Winter Soldier. If that's true here as well, it would make sense that we wouldn't really see much of her in the movie. Perhaps we only see her at the start of the movie, getting captured while on assignment, and then Cap ends up rescuing her at the end.

I don't know about a kidnap and rescue scenario, since that's not what a programmed assassin is all about; nor would Steve (or, more importantly, the audience) have enough emotional investment in a barely-there character to give a damn about whether or not she gets rescued by Our Hero(es).

But to your first paragraph: yeah, that's my read of the EVC situation. They're setting Sharon up to be a major player in Cap 3 --- hell, possibly even Avengers 2 in 2015 --- but for *this* movie, Widow is definitely the female lead (and probable love interest, no matter how temporary).

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #278
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

EVC seems to be a role almost analogous to Shailene Woodley's in ASM2. It is an important role for the mythos, but relatively small at this stage. I don't think she is the "female lead" at all though, as originally reported, not unless you count "female lead" as the one who ultimately becomes the leading female character overall like Mary Jane does, but again, not at this stage.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #279
RetroJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I don't know about a kidnap and rescue scenario, since that's not what a programmed assassin is all about; nor would Steve (or, more importantly, the audience) have enough emotional investment in a barely-there character to give a damn about whether or not she gets rescued by Our Hero(es).
I think Cap would care a lot if he found out who Agent 13 actually is, which might be something WS knows or finds out. And knowing her connection to Cap's past, Sharon could be his ace in the hole. Keep her alive for now in case he needs to use her. So if he has to, he can reveal who she really is to Cap and that he has her in order to lure Cap somewhere to kill him.

Obviously this is all just conjecture on my part. All I'm saying is, a scenario like that could work well if done right.

RetroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #280
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

You know how sometimes, there's a bit character in a movie that manages to steal whatever scene they're in? Sometimes, doing it so well that they capture your attention and you walk out of the movie thinking you'd have liked to see more of them, and hoping you eventually do.

If -and there's laughable little doubt about it at this point- Sharon is a cameo or an otherwise small role, then that is how I hope she'll show up. I don't want her to be a star-eyed agent in awe of Cap, or just a random SHIELD agent who happens to be related to Peggy, or to be kidnap-fodder.

If Natasha is the female lead and Sharon gets one single scene where she shines bright, I'll be happy enough.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #281
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Looks like Shailene Woodley just got pushed out of TASM2. Emma Stone is gong to be a hard act to follow.

Ksb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #282
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I don't buy Rogers and Widow. I think this is a red haring to hide Sharon Carter

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #283
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Looks like Shailene Woodley just got pushed out of TASM2. Emma Stone is gong to be a hard act to follow.
Well I likened EVC's role in CA:TWS to Shailene's in ASM2, so maybe it's also going to follow suit and get cut from the final print. I wouldn't be surprised if it did, or has already during filming.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #284
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well I likened EVC's role in CA:TWS to Shailene's in ASM2, so maybe it's also going to follow suit and get cut from the final print. I wouldn't be surprised if it did, or has already during filming.
Might as well. Start afresh in Cap3. Or don't.

Just don't dangle that carrot unless you plan to feed it to me, Marvel.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #285
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
LOL! I was just about to come in here and post something similar.

I still say we don't know what extent EVC/Agent 13 plays in this movie. It's likely a briefer role than we anticipated, maybe waiting for future movies to beef her up.

I'll wait for more info about it, or a trailer or reports from SDCC before I venture any guesses.

I forgot whether the casting articles about EVC mentioned whether she signed a multi-picture deal for Marvel.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #286
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Emily VanCamp talks to Vanity fair

So apparently she's still shooting Captain America.

I don't ****ing know anymore.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #287
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Apparently Shailene Woodley just got fired from TASM2.

Wow. Feel really badly for her.

Re: EVC, Whaaaaa???

Ksb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #288
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post

LMAO! Well, ask and ye shall receive.

At least we now know she's still working on TWS. Seems like she's been working on the movie for a while too...

Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #289
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yay! finally! something! .... though she seems more excited about her indie film... I wonder if that's just because she's not allowed to discuss Cap at all...

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #290
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
Yay! finally! something! .... though she seems more excited about her indie film... I wonder if that's just because she's not allowed to discuss Cap at all...
I'm leaning more towards not being able to talk about it. Almost all the Marvel actors joke about Marvel having snipers in place to take them out if they talk too much.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #291
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I'm leaning more towards not being able to talk about it. Almost all the Marvel actors joke about Marvel having snipers in place to take them out if they talk too much.
At least we HOPE they're joking... =)

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #292
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Yay to EVC finally talking about CATWS.

They confirm she shot scenes with Samjack for sure, but we don't know who else. If she was truly the "love interest" for Steve, looks like EVC would've at least mentioned something about Chris Evans....

Sounds like she shot more scenes with Fury than anyone else, but who knows. If so, we're probably right about her role being more of a cameo/desk job, and not being a full field agent yet.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #293
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

At this point, all I want from this movie is for it to pass Bechdel. They have three talented actresses cast in big roles, they need to have them interact with each other about anything other than a man. Not to mention Haley Atwell may be returning for present day shoots as well...

Really, though this is great news for the movie. Pack it full of kickass female characters, Marvel. Make this fan happy!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #294
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
At this point, all I want from this movie is for it to pass Bechdel. They have three talented actresses cast in big roles, they need to have them interact with each other about anything other than a man. Not to mention Haley Atwell may be returning for present day shoots as well...

Really, though this is great news for the movie. Pack it full of kickass female characters, Marvel. Make this fan happy!

Thing is, all *three* of them will probably smooch Cap at some point in this film....including 100-Year Old Peggy. *urp*

Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #295
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Yay to EVC finally talking about CATWS.

They confirm she shot scenes with Samjack for sure, but we don't know who else. If she was truly the "love interest" for Steve, looks like EVC would've at least mentioned something about Chris Evans....

Sounds like she shot more scenes with Fury than anyone else, but who knows. If so, we're probably right about her role being more of a cameo/desk job, and not being a full field agent yet.
I think that when Pierce takes over, a lot of agents go rogue in separate groups. Cap, Sam and Tasha teamup together, and perhaps Fury, Maria and Sharon do so as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #296
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I think that when Pierce takes over, a lot of agents go rogue in separate groups. Cap, Sam and Tasha teamup together, and perhaps Fury, Maria and Sharon do so as well.
Maybe; but right now, the only ones who seem to be going rogue are Fury, Cap, Sam and Tasha. Maria is too by-the-book, and she doesn't seem to like Fury anyway; and we don't know enough about EVC's "Agent 13" to know if she'd risk her career (and life) to side with renegade agents who are probably sporting a death sentence as "traitors."

Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #297
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Widow and Cap share a kiss at least:

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #298
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

You've heard of soundstages, right?

Remember how much we saw of The Avengers' filming in Cleveland and New York? There were so many set photos and videos that it was easy to get the impression that we had seen the majority of the film being made. Now reflect on how much of the movie was actually filmed either on closed sets or soundstages and was not seen by the general public. Only the big action set pieces were filmed in public, along with a few transitional scenes.

You have to understand that TWS is likely to be the same, with the vast majority of it having been filmed either indoors or in locations closed off from prying cameras. We haven't seen most of the actors we know are in the film: Redford, Smulders, EVC, that French martial artist have all been absent, yet we know they have significant parts in the film. There is no possible way to judge what's been filmed until the finished product is screened.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #299
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
You've heard of soundstages, right?

Remember how much we saw of The Avengers' filming in Cleveland and New York? There were so many set photos and videos that it was easy to get the impression that we had seen the majority of the film being made. Now reflect on how much of the movie was actually filmed either on closed sets or soundstages and was not seen by the general public. Only the big action set pieces were filmed in public, along with a few transitional scenes.

You have to understand that TWS is likely to be the same, with the vast majority of it having been filmed either indoors or in locations closed off from prying cameras. We haven't seen most of the actors we know are in the film: Redford, Smulders, EVC, that French martial artist have all been absent, yet we know they have significant parts in the film. There is no possible way to judge what's been filmed until the finished product is screened.
No, I get that, but I'd still have expected to see Sharon out in the open at some point.

And of course, there's EVC's vacation, and her being involved in shooting the last episodes of Revenge during the soundstage period of filming.

I don't know how big EVC's role is, but I know it isn't as big as Mackie or Scarjo or Stan. At this point, all I hope for is that Sharon gets a chance to kick ass and shine in whatever amount of screentime she gets.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #300
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:
Maybe; but right now, the only ones who seem to be going rogue are Fury, Cap, Sam and Tasha. Maria is too by-the-book, and she doesn't seem to like Fury anyway;
She might not like him, but she comes to respect him. That is very clear in the deleted scenes, and is subtle but evident in the finished film.

Quote:
and we don't know enough about EVC's "Agent 13" to know if she'd risk her career (and life) to side with renegade agents who are probably sporting a death sentence as "traitors."
Yeah, but this is speculation. She mentions working with SLJ, so I'm guessing that's someone she filmed a lot with.

And if she is being set up to be a major character down the road, you'd expect her to bat for team good guys.