The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #451
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
There's never a point when new, interesting characters are too much.

And it isn't about making the story accurate. I just happen to like Sharon as a character.
I like Sharon too but Widow is much more interesting.

The thing is, BW has a very dark past, which is why her teaming up with Captain America is very interesting. It creates a contrast. Sharon teaming up with Cap wouldn't be as exciting as this (to me anyway).

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #452
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I like Sharon too but Widow is much more interesting.

The thing is, BW has a very dark past, which is why her teaming up with Captain America is very interesting. It creates a contrast. Sharon teaming up with Cap wouldn't be as exciting as this (to me anyway).
Sharon is interesting enough, and she isn't devoid of darkness, herself.

Look, I understand all the reasons they chose Natasha over Sharon, I just don't see any of them as enough to make for the disappointment that we won't see her do a lot.

The fact that I am disappointed doesn't actually ffect the movie, though. I wish I had that superpower, but I don't, so none of you need worry.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #453
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
There's never a point when new, interesting characters are too much.

And it isn't about making the story accurate. I just happen to like Sharon as a character.
So... adding 200 interesting characters to a 120 minute movie that's supposed to be about Captain America is not too much?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #454
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
I'm pretty sure now that Natasha will be Steve's love interest.
Quote:
Look, I understand all the reasons they chose Natasha over Sharon
lol what? Are we really back to this point?

Have we already seen this movie now? Emily VanCamp saying she has a small role suddenly makes you sure that Widow will be Cap's love interest? Did you miss the part where she said that this movie was only the beginning for her character? The whole reason Peggy was even used in the first one was to set up for Sharon in future movies. I don't think Black Widow's popularity changed that. Plus most people want Natasha to end up with either Hawkeye or Bucky. I'm "pretty sure" there's no future for Cap and Black Widow.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 07-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #455
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

I'm pretty sure the most we'll get out of any "relationship" between Cap and Natasha is the two working together as professional partners in their missions during the film.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #456
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN91 View Post
I'm pretty sure the most we'll get out of any "relationship" between Cap and Natasha is the two working together as professional partners in their missions during the film.
I hope they become close friends somewhere down the line.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #457
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
This is really just an introduction of this character. I'm in the movie just a small amount and you're just sort of getting to know who she is. It's sort of the beginning of who she becomes.
Why is it important who Sharon becomes if it's not Steve's love interest? That's what most people know her as. Also, making Black Widow Captain America's love interest would tie her down to his franchise. Black Widow is not a Captain America character. The reason she's in this film at all is because of the Winter Soldier. It's funny how this interview somehow lessened people's hopes that Sharon will become Cap's ultimate love interest when it all but cemented that she will to me.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 07-24-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #458
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
lol what? Are we really back to this point?

Have we already seen this movie now? Emily VanCamp saying she has a small role suddenly makes you sure that Widow will be Cap's love interest? Did you miss the part where she said that this movie was only the beginning for her character? The whole reason Peggy was even used in the first one was to set up for Sharon in future movies. I don't think Black Widow's popularity changed that. Plus most people want Natasha to end up with either Hawkeye or Bucky. I'm "pretty sure" there's no future for Cap and Black Widow.
The whole reason the group that kidnaps Tony in Iron Man was named "The Ten Rings" was to set up Mandarin, and look what happened.

Plans change.

There was a lot of talk at SDCC about Steve and Natasha's dynamic, and how close they've grown as friends, and how they're an odd couple and that they learn from each other, etc.

That sounds like a pretty profound relationship (platonic or otherwise) they're building up, and coincidentally, it more or less describes Steve and Sharon's relationship in the comics.

So what could happen to that profound relationship, if not not continue to be a focus in future movies? It's unlikely that Natasha will get her own movie, or that she'll be killed or turn evil.

And even then, what could a relationship between Steve and Sharon offer that hadn't been done with Steve and Natasha?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #459
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
The whole reason the group that kidnaps Tony in Iron Man was named "The Ten Rings" was to set up Mandarin, and look what happened.

Plans change.

There was a lot of talk at SDCC about Steve and Natasha's dynamic, and how close they've grown as friends, and how they're an odd couple and that they learn from each other, etc.

That sounds like a pretty profound relationship (platonic or otherwise) they're building up, and coincidentally, it more or less describes Steve and Sharon's relationship in the comics.

So what could happen to that profound relationship, if not not continue to be a focus in future movies? It's unlikely that Natasha will get her own movie, or that she'll be killed or turn evil.

And even then, what could a relationship between Steve and Sharon offer that hadn't been done with Steve and Natasha?
Seeing as how the Mandarin is Killian (according to Marvel), their plan worked out.

Well, if Steve & Natasha's relationship is platonic then Steve & Sharon's relationship will have a lot to offer (such as....not being platonic).

Quote:
Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #460
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Seeing as how the Mandarin is Killian (according to Marvel), their plan worked out.
Killian had no connection the Ten Rings whatsoever.

Quote:
Well, if Steve & Natasha's relationship is platonic then Steve & Sharon's relationship will have a lot to offer (such as....not being platonic).
So, she kisses him once in a while, and you have knowledge of them having sex. What else would there be, though?

How would they interact in a way that is interesting and distinct from the other women in Steve's life?

Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #461
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

So, she kisses him once in a while, and you have knowledge of them having sex. What else would there be, though?

How would they interact in a way that is interesting and distinct from the other women in Steve's life?
It depends on just how "intimate" Steve and Natasha are.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #462
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
He created the Mandarin as the leader of the Ten Rings. He most certainly had a connection to them

Quote:
How about watch the movie and see?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #463
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The connection was all but pushed aside though other than Ten Rings logo glimpsed at the beginning. No reference to Killian and Stane orchestrating Stark's capture in Afghanistan. That could've been interesting since it means indirectly that Killian helped create Iron Man and Stark helped turn Killian into a villain. Juxtaposing that "we create our own demons" as Stark says in the beginning. Stark created the Mandarin (Killian) and arguably Killian created Iron Man. However, Black and Pearce didn't take it that far.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #464
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Quote:
Plans change.
Er, yeah, but Sharon's in the movie. Moreover, she's introduced in a capacity that seems pretty clearly to be setting her up as a love interest (and in terms of the size of EVC's role, while it's obvious she isn't part of Steve's team from the beginning, it seems like this is one of the interviews where she's trying to downplay the character).
Quote:

Steve and Sharon didn't start out as friends in the comics, and the other statements could apply to like 90% of film couples one way or another.

I also don't buy that there was some kind of studio demand that they put Steve with Natasha based on some perception that it's what the audience wanted. After The Avengers, basically all the audience speculation was about her and Hawkeye.

The bottom line is that Sharon is a major part of the Captain America mythos as one of Steve's love interests. They used Peggy, who exists to set up Sharon, and while that didn't compel them to follow through, and they aren't rushing into it, here she is. And they're seemingly doing the sorts of things you would do to set up a romantic interaction, such as having Steve meet her in a context where he doesn't know who she is.

Last edited by CaptainCanada; 07-24-2013 at 09:38 PM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #465
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

CATWS: Steve meets Sharon Carter, gets into a romantic relationship with Natasha
Avengers 2: Steve and Natasha have a nasty breakup over someone's dead body
Captain America Fallen Son: Steve and Sharon get into a romantic relationship

It's actually a cool little arc, and it works better with him not jumping right in with Sharon.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #466
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think Winter Soldier will be more about Cap getting closure with Peggy than him getting involved with someone new.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #467
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I think Winter Soldier will be more about Cap getting closure with Peggy than him getting involved with someone new.
This would be my preferred route for Steve's personal life. Even if the plot does little else than have him and Peggy have closure, or if Steve and Natasha get intimate, I hope that they take Steve and Sharon very slow. The whole aspect of Sharon and Peggy in Steve's life is a little weird, and I think to tell their story properly, the characters should have a little time to develop.

Let Steve play the field or whatever. Let Sharon develop into her own character. Do it right.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #468
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
I also don't buy that there was some kind of studio demand that they put Steve with Natasha based on some perception that it's what the audience wanted. After The Avengers, basically all the audience speculation was about her and Hawkeye.
There might be a Marvel preference to put Natasha in it, and if they can kill two birds with one stone and give Steve a new love interest while they're at it, maybe that's what the writers did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
The bottom line is that Sharon is a major part of the Captain America mythos as one of Steve's love interests. They used Peggy, who exists to set up Sharon, and while that didn't compel them to follow through, and they aren't rushing into it, here she is. And they're seemingly doing the sorts of things you would do to set up a romantic interaction, such as having Steve meet her in a context where he doesn't know who she is.
Even if the current intent is to set up Sharon for a future movie, the plan might change. You mention most people seeing Natasha with Hawkeye, and that was really based on one scene. Now imagine how they might react to a whole movie where Natasha displays a similar demeanor around Steve.

Pepper wasn't originally supposed to Tony's love interest in the movies more than their mild flirtation in the movie, but both Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr really liked Tony and Pepper's chemistry so they went with that.

BTW, I'm not saying that they should be doing Sharon and Steve as a couple RIGHT NOW. In fact, THEY SHOULDN'T.

But if they want to do it eventually, then they should give her more than a "small amount". It isn't enough to just introduce her, there should be more.

If CA:TWS was The Avengers, then Sharon shouldn't be Maria Hill, she should be Hawkeye.

Last edited by BullMcGiveny; 07-25-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #469
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There's no need to make Steve obsessed with his "lost love." The Avengers proved that he moved on from at least that part of his life, although most of those scenes were left on the cutting room floor --- i.e., not picking up the phone to call Peggy when he had the chance, scenes with even Stan the Man himself urging Steve to hook up with The Waitress, whose role never fully materialized in the theatrical release, etc.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #470
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
There's no need to make Steve obsessed with his "lost love." The Avengers proved that he moved on from at least that part of his life, although most of those scenes were left on the cutting room floor --- i.e., not picking up the phone to call Peggy when he had the chance, scenes with even Stan the Man himself urging Steve to hook up with The Waitress, whose role never fully materialized in the theatrical release, etc.
I think that's what'll happen in the scene when Steve meets with the now-elderly Peggy, who will probably now have been married with someone else for a long time.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #471
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. I do want to see new characters that actually get proper development rather than appear as cameos.
I think it's extremely premature to say anything about Sharon at this point other than we know she's Kate when she first meets Steve, she maybe works mostly with Redford, and according to Mackie and Grillo, she kicks some butt in the film.

We have no idea yet how substantial her introduction in this movie will be, or how many movies beyond this Sharon is expected to appear in. We don't even know if Steve has a love interest in the movie! All we know is that Cap and Widow share this movie in a big way. In what way is still a mystery.

Ultimately, we don't know Jack.

As this is a Steve Rogers story, it makes sense to build relationships and develop preexisting ones that work within the context of Steve's story. It sounds like, for this movie, Steve's relationship with Natasha services the greater story arc of dealing with modern times and juxtaposing his worldview with her more grey, ambiguous one. He's also dealing with ghosts of his past, with Peggy and Bucky.

So I guess kvetching about things at this moment seems premature to me.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #472
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Quote:
There might be a Marvel preference to put Natasha in it, and if they can kill two birds with one stone and give Steve a new love interest while they're at it, maybe that's what the writers did.
They obviously wanted to have Black Widow in it. But Sharon is also in it.

CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #473
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

That would be messed up if Steve doesn't get the draws until the 3rd film.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #474
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Yeah, in a "small amount"

Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #475
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
That would be messed up if Steve doesn't get the draws until the 3rd film.
That's probably going to happen.

Quote: