The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #126
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,750
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Even the ultimate do-gooder can still have a relationship with a woman especially if he loves her.
Durr. But what you're talking about is a sexual relationship, there's a difference. Relationships do exist without sex you know? Or is that a foreign concept to you? Staying abstinent doesn't mean giving up a relationship with a woman.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #127
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,797
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Not at all JB-the-Hunter, but this has almost never been the case with Captain America in the comics. I don't see why the movies have to divert from that and Cap has to act like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory.

I doubt if Cap gets into a relationship with Sharon it's "no ding ding until the wedding ring."

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #128
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,553
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I wonder if Emily's role has been reduced after Redford came on board, and also others like Scarlett's role has been beefed up. Maybe Emily will have a small role and won't reveal her name until the end (like Miss Moneypenny in Skyfall) and maybe won't really be Cap's love interest just yet.

Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #129
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I hope not....

anyway..

More Sharon!


peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #130
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,291
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Shouldn't this thread be re-named into Agent 13 - Sharon Carter ?

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #131
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
6) MARVEL is obviously putting down Emily's role as 'Agent 13', so we all get surprised when it is revealed at the end of the movie she is Peggy's granddaughter..../eyeroll
If it happens, I hope they give a good reason why she's called Agent 13.

So far, all the SHIELD agents have gone by their real names. Natasha and Clint are only once ever referred to be their codenames.

Unless she's called Agent 13 in the credits, and only mention her real name at the end. Kind of like Moneypenny in Skyfall.

EDIT: Dark Raven beat me to it!


Last edited by BullMcGiveny; 04-10-2013 at 12:06 AM.
BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #132
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Durr. But what you're talking about is a sexual relationship, there's a difference. Relationships do exist without sex you know? Or is that a foreign concept to you? Staying abstinent doesn't mean giving up a relationship with a woman.
Steve isn't a goodie two-shoes as you say. He commits fraud in his attempts to join the army, and disobeys the orders of both commanding officers.

What he is is a good man, but he is a man. And people were having sex out of marriage in the 1940s, too. They just weren't open about it.

Also, sex isn't evil. So it wouldn't make the connection that moral=abstinate.

Take the scene where Steve asks Peggy if she and Howard are sleeping together. He doesn't sound indignant, merely disappointed -since he fancies Peggy himself- and soon after he's making a joke before jumping out.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #133
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I wonder if Emily's role has been reduced after Redford came on board, and also others like Scarlett's role has been beefed up.
Neither the synopsis, nor the fact that she is at the bottom of the cast, below Batroc, makes it look good.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #134
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,553
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I'm getting the feeling Emily's role could be like Mary Jane's in ASM2 where it's more of an introduction and just setting it up for the next movie. Maybe she just helps Cap out a bit and he saves her, then later says he never caught her name. So there's no romance as such, which Marvel might've decided there's no time for since there's already so much going on and doesn't fit the urgency of the tone of the film (much like The Avengers).

Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #135
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 206
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Come on guys, I think you are getting worked up over this for no reason. As I've said before, I wouldn't read too much into where the placement of Emily's name in the press release is. The simple fact is that Emily just isn't as well known as Scarlett, and that makes a huge difference when it comes to the order names are listed in press releases and advertisements. I'm fairly sure Emily will have a good amount of screen time. Also, I think it's fairly obvious that the reason she is only being billed as Agent 13 is because for the most part, most audiences won't know who she is as first and Marvel wants the reveal to be a surprise.

DarthMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #136
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,553
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

But she could've been listed in the main part of the cast, before or even just after GSP, instead of in the "rounding out the cast" section, where that seems to be left for those who might only have minor/ returning roles.

At the moment she's not faring that much better than Jasper Sitwell, and you don't think that maybe Maximiliano Hernández actually has a bigger part but is only listed at the end because he's not well known, do you?

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #137
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 206
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But she could've been listed in the main part of the cast, before or even just after GSP, instead of in the "rounding out the cast" section, where that seems to be left for those who might only have minor/ returning roles.

At the moment she's not faring that much better than Jasper Sitwell, and you don't think that maybe Maximiliano Hernández actually has a bigger part but is only listed at the end because he's not well known, do you?
Like I said, I wouldn't read too much into that. Billing order has almost nothing to do with how much screen time an actor or actress will have(especially in press releases). It's silly, but the bigger names are almost always going to get top billing regardless of how small their roles might be.

DarthMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #138
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But she could've been listed in the main part of the cast, before or even just after GSP, instead of in the "rounding out the cast" section, where that seems to be left for those who might only have minor/ returning roles.

At the moment she's not faring that much better than Jasper Sitwell, and you don't think that maybe Maximiliano Hernández actually has a bigger part but is only listed at the end because he's not well known, do you?
Yeah. The fact that she's listed behind Hayley Atwell, who we are told is just a cameo, troubles me.

Did the synopsis and cast list come directly from Marvel? I assume the synopsis did, but could the cast list order be just some internet journalist who isn't aware of the significance of each role?

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #139
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuppet View Post
Come on guys, I think you are getting worked up over this for no reason. As I've said before, I wouldn't read too much into where the placement of Emily's name in the press release is. The simple fact is that Emily just isn't as well known as Scarlett, and that makes a huge difference when it comes to the order names are listed in press releases and advertisements. I'm fairly sure Emily will have a good amount of screen time. Also, I think it's fairly obvious that the reason she is only being billed as Agent 13 is because for the most part, most audiences won't know who she is as first and Marvel wants the reveal to be a surprise.
But it would have been so easy if instead of

Quote:
“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will pick-up where “Marvel’s The Avengers” left off, as Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and teams up with Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, D.C.
the synopsis was actually

Quote:
“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will pick-up where “Marvel’s The Avengers” left off, as Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and teams up with Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, Sam Wilson, aka The Falcon, and Sharon Carter, aka Agent 13, to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, D.C.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #140
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,553
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuppet View Post
Like I said, I wouldn't read too much into that. Billing order has almost nothing to do with how much screen time an actor or actress will have(especially in press releases). It's silly, but the bigger names are almost always going to get top billing regardless of how small their roles might be.
Is GSP really a bigger name in movies and tv than Emily Van Camp?

She could reasonably have been after Cobie Smulders.

It's not to do with the billing order per se though, but the fact that she's after the main cast in the minor role section along with Hernandez. Those people there are practically not in the main cast at all.

And even in ASM2, Shailene Woodley (who isn't that well known either) isn't billed ridiculously low, even though her part is relatively small and just setting her up for the future.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #141
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,823
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Billing her low might be a diversionary tactic...

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #142
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,140
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

...or it might be because she's a supporting role, and BW is the female lead, which... makes sense, almost abundantly. Also, that might really be okay. She gets to be Cap's shrink, she has some emotional moments with him, they conflict over some aspect of the mission with some romantic tension, and then they resolve it towards the end. This does not require she be a sidekick there for large parts of the film, not with there is another female present with ties to Cap and the antagonist.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #143
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,553
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I think Scarlett definitely is the female lead, which Marvel would probably want, especially from a commercial point of view. They're not going to relegate Scarlett to just some supporting SHIELD role, even in the vein of the type she had in IM2 (that's already Cobie Smulders's job). There of course, Scarlett was also competing with Gwyneth, who is a star in her own right. Emily isn't a big star at all, so Scarlett will be the female lead.

Emily, like I said, probably won't be much bigger than Shailene Woodley's role in ASM2.

Maybe at the end, when Cap finds out who Agent 13 is, she takes her to see her great aunt who is in a nursing home, and then Cap has a flashback to Hayley Atwell when he meets her.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #144
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 206
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I seriously wouldn't worry guys. Until we see the film or some trailers, we just don't have anything to go off of. I think she'll get enough screen time to do what she needs to do. Remember, it's quality, not quantity.

In other news...

http://www.disneydreaming.com/2013/0...inter-soldier/

DarthMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #145
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,553
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I thought Emily's scenes wouldn't start until the current season of Revenge had finished, unless they've already filmed all of Season 2.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #146
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 206
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I thought Emily's scenes wouldn't start until the current season of Revenge had finished, unless they've already filmed all of Season 2.
I'm fairly certain filming on season 2 of Revenge is almost over(they were supposed to be filming the finale last week). The producers on the show may have frontloaded all her scenes on the finale so she could begin work on Captain America. Both the show and the movie are currently filming in L.A. so it's possible she's pulling double duty at the moment.

DarthMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #147
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,750
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Not at all JB-the-Hunter, but this has almost never been the case with Captain America in the comics. I don't see why the movies have to divert from that and Cap has to act like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory.

I doubt if Cap gets into a relationship with Sharon it's "no ding ding until the wedding ring."
Now someone has to be like Sheldon to be abstinent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Steve isn't a goodie two-shoes as you say. He commits fraud in his attempts to join the army, and disobeys the orders of both commanding officers.

What he is is a good man, but he is a man. And people were having sex out of marriage in the 1940s, too. They just weren't open about it.

Also, sex isn't evil. So it wouldn't make the connection that moral=abstinate.
I know sex isn't evil. But for a very shy, modest Christian man who grew up in the 30's and 40's, that's a different story. Getting Cap laid in this film all but gets rid of the skinny Steve entirely. Maybe you guys want that, but I don't.

Now, I'm not saying they have to show that he is abstinent in the film, but they should just leave it up to the audience's imagination. Why do we need to know?

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #148
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I know sex isn't evil. But for a very shy, modest Christian man who grew up in the 30's and 40's, that's a different story. Getting Cap laid in this film all but gets rid of the skinny Steve entirely. Maybe you guys want that, but I don't.

Now, I'm not saying they have to show that he is abstinent in the film, but they should just leave it up to the audience's imagination. Why do we need to know?
Steve is a guy from '40s, but he's a fairly progressive guy, being cool with non-white people and women in positions of authority. Also, I reiterate that people were having sex outside marriage in the '40s, and Steve's attitude toward what he perceives as an affair between Peggy and Howard, and really, the scene at the bar comes across as a metaphor for sex.

Don't get me wrong, I love that the movie implies Steve is a virgin, and that he isn't any less of a man for it. I don't think he needs to get laid, as others do, I'm cool with it going either way.

I also loved skinny Steve, but a main point in the first movie is that Steve doesn't change when he becomes a super-soldier. So really, he'll always be skinny Steve.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #149
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Steve is a guy from '40s, but he's a fairly progressive guy, being cool with non-white people and women in positions of authority. Also, I reiterate that people were having sex outside marriage in the '40s, and Steve's attitude toward what he perceives as an affair between Peggy and Howard, and really, the scene at the bar comes across as a metaphor for sex.

Don't get me wrong, I love that the movie implies Steve is a virgin, and that he isn't any less of a man for it. I don't think he needs to get laid, as others do, I'm cool with it going either way.

I also loved skinny Steve, but a main point in the first movie is that Steve doesn't change when he becomes a super-soldier. So really, he'll always be skinny Steve.
Steve isn't progressive, and it's a fallacy to say people who were cool with non whites and women and power are progressive. Let's just leave politics out of this.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #150
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,750
Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I can agree with what you're just saying. My main point though isn't that I think Steve needs to be shown or implied as a virgin, I just don't think it needs to be shown or implied that he's not a virgin. His sex life doesn't really need to be touched on in film.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.