Default Re: Adam Driver as Kylo Ren

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Default Adam Driver as Kylo Ren

Quote:
Next-generation bad guy Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) commands snowtroopers loyal to the evil First Order on the frozen plains of their secret base.
Quote:
First of all, as we suspected, Adam Driver is playing the hooded bad guy Kylo Ren and, yes, the Girls star is the lucky cast member swinging that next-generation three-pronged lightsaber that prompted so much discussion in the first teaser. In case the all-black ensemble wasn’t enough to tip you off to Ren’s allegiance, those ominous snowtroopers behind him are a big clue.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...awakens-photos

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwin View Post
Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I do wish we'd gotten some idea why Kylo kept hitting himself in the side during
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the final lightsaber battle with Rey. I had no idea why he was doing it, and really still don't. Someone mentioned he was badly wounded and was 'pushing his insides back in', but I'm not sure.
It looked really strange.
Inflicting pain to override the shock maybe. As previously mentioned, to increase adrenaline. Either way he was injured by Chewie's shot and wasn't fighting at 100%.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Thorson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I do wish we'd gotten some idea why Kylo kept hitting himself in the side during
the final lightsaber battle with Rey. I had no idea why he was doing it, and really still don't. Someone mentioned he was badly wounded and was 'pushing his insides back in', but I'm not sure.

It looked really strange.
Actually when I saw him do that I understood it instantly. It's something I've done when in great pain.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Adam Driver as Kylo Ren - Part 1

Remember Kylo was able to withstand Chewie's Bowcaster, in which a single blast can blow away two stormtroopers.

-- J.J. Abrams
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Octoberist
point blank

Honestly we don't need to explain because I think most people get why he wa doing it.

-- J.J. Abrams
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
JtheDreamer
Side-Kick

Wish they had saved the reveal of his face for later in the movie. For me personally, it downgraded the sinister nature of his character. Seeing his face at that point made it feel like some angsty college grad.

JtheDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Spider-Fan83
with great power...

I didn't mind the reveal, but, kinda wish his looks were more effected by the dark side...

pale veiny skin, freaky white eyes, something to more show how far gone he is

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
I didn't mind the reveal, but, kinda wish his looks were more effected by the dark side...

pale veiny skin, freaky white eyes, something to more show how far gone he is
That's the point though. Kid was a mess. Super Borderline with psychopathic tendencies. The movie was just as much about his fall to the dark as Rey's to the light. He was basically a rookie. Great force application but not skilled in his use, hindered by his emotion. He's been trained but it's clear he just has high force potential/isn't exactly that skilled. Tbh, I don't think there is a single Jedi from the prequels that he would last more than 30 seconds again.

Strong in the force but unstable, due to his unstable personality, I took it he was a novice himself, like Rey, just a bit more seasoned

Last edited by jaqua99; 12-26-2015 at 12:57 PM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwin
Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I do wish we'd gotten some idea why Kylo kept hitting himself in the side during...[the final duel]

He was likely doing that to use his pain to tap further into the dark side of the force. "Force Rage", if you will. He was trying to convert his pain into rage and power.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
MurkeNyou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorson View Post
Actually when I saw him do that I understood it instantly. It's something I've done when in great pain.

Yeah, not proud to admit I've done similar too.

MurkeNyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Havok83
Side-Kick

I felt like I was watching Anakin. He was definitely channeling gramps in this film

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
MurkeNyou
Side-Kick

I think the Skywalkers have a profound ability to use rage as power. You didn't see Anakin did not tap into it in the live action stuff as much as he did in the Clone Wars, even getting Sith eyes.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurkeNyou View Post
I think the Skywalkers have a profound ability to use rage as power. You didn't see Anakin did not tap into it in the live action stuff as much as he did in the Clone Wars, even getting Sith eyes.
Anakin's best moment was against Dooku. That was focused anger. Dooku dueled evenly with Yoda and Anakin was holding his own against Dooku. But he focused his rage and was too powerful and too fast for Dooku.

That's a great point, all the Skywalkers seem to be able to tap into Anakin's potential.

Technically, Luke's grandfather is the force itself. Anakin's father is the force itself. I think this is why the Skywalkers can inconsistently become more powerful given the circumstance.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #15
JOE
#TeamNoFaceShell

This! ^ I've always had the same thoughts.

JOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #16
MurkeNyou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Technically, Luke's grandfather is the force itself. Anakin's father is the force itself. I think this is why the Skywalkers can inconsistently become more powerful given the circumstance.
Ehhh, now you lost me. Much like Midichlorians being retconned by word of mouth, I don't buy into Anakin being conceived as Immaculate Conception by the Force. I'm more willing to bet he was conceived by a Jedi/ Sith, that Mind Tricked Shimi afterwords. Be it Qui-Jon or Palpatine on a layover 9 years prior.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #17
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurkeNyou View Post
Ehhh, now you lost me. Much like Midichlorians being retconned by word of mouth, I don't buy into Anakin being conceived as Immaculate Conception by the Force. I'm more willing to bet he was conceived by a Jedi/ Sith, that Mind Tricked Shimi afterwords. Be it Qui-Jon or Palpatine on a layover 9 years prior.
Well sure but it's cannon isn't it? Shimi was a virgin, and that Sith Lord who could create life, that quote was directed towards Anakin. And sure maybe she was mind wiped but that's speculation. I mean, you may not like it but unless I'm missing something, isn't it canon that Shimi was a virgin?

Plus how would explain Anakin's freakish talent with the force, other than coincidence? Not knocking your idea, just curious

Old 12-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
Akimych
Side-Kick

Now he will look like Harry-Goblin in SM3 after the battle with Rey and this wonderful scar on his face. And thus he'll think about light side - saving Rey or somebody while dying. That's the point when you see the injured man in the movie.

Akimych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #19
MurkeNyou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well sure but it's cannon isn't it? Shimi was a virgin, and that Sith Lord who could create life, that quote was directed towards Anakin. And sure maybe she was mind wiped but that's speculation. I mean, you may not like it but unless I'm missing something, isn't it canon that Shimi was a virgin?

Plus how would explain Anakin's freakish talent with the force, other than coincidence? Not knocking your idea, just curious

It's about as Canon as Midichlorians, something that was mentioned, but discarded in most later adoptions. The Virgin Birth thing was a stupid suggestion, and outside of that line in Sith, no one brought it up again. Was it mentioned in the Clone Wars series in any more depth? the speculation about Qui-Gon or Palpatine being Vaders biological father makes much more sense that doing a magical whammy on some random slave woman.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #20
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, Midi-Chlorians are brought up in Clone Wars, in the Yoda arc which is one of the most crucial arcs from the show. They're about as canon as can be.

There's also not a great need for them to come up too frequently, especially in the ST. I doubt there are many characters left who even know about them, save Snoke and (maybe) Luke.

The funny thing is that it's really the OT that first established the idea that Force potential could be transferred via bloodline. TPM just pretty much gave a reason for that, but it also established that Force sensitives are born all around the galaxy without much rhyme or reason to it. So it's not like it's all just a bunch of royal bloodlines that become Jedi. The Skywalker line is certainly is something special though, and given Anakin's origins there could be a connection there. It's not as if we're to believe that Shmi's ancestor's had a strong connection with The Force, but I guess you never know.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 12-26-2015 at 04:20 PM.
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #21
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Anakin's best moment was against Dooku. That was focused anger. Dooku dueled evenly with Yoda and Anakin was holding his own against Dooku. But he focused his rage and was too powerful and too fast for Dooku.

That's a great point, all the Skywalkers seem to be able to tap into Anakin's potential.

Agreed, Luke's final duel with Vader in Return of The Jedi, demonstrated that when he losses control and just unleashed full on fury upon Vader for threatening Leia.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
Havok83
Side-Kick

You know when Hans appeard on that walkway, I thought oh here we go, he's going to die. Seemed so obvious as that seemed so reminiscent of Luke and Vader, but I didnt think Hans would leave their alive. Kylo got me for a moment when he accepted Hans' help. Even though I had a feeling Hans would die, I was still shocked when it happened.

I kind of wish they hadnt gone the predictable and obvious route. I was hoping in that moment that Kylo would return to the light side and the future of the series would be about him, Finn and Rey as the three main protagonists. I kind of feel like there is potential to be seen having someone from the dark side convert and struggle going forward

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
You know when Hans appeard on that walkway, I thought oh here we go, he's going to die. Seemed so obvious as that seemed so reminiscent of Luke and Vader, but I didnt think Hans would leave their alive. Kylo got me for a moment when he accepted Hans' help. Even though I had a feeling Hans would die, I was still shocked when it happened.

I kind of wish they hadnt gone the predictable and obvious route. I was hoping in that moment that Kylo would return to the light side and the future of the series would be about him, Finn and Rey as the three main protagonists. I kind of feel like there is potential to be seen having someone from the dark side convert and struggle going forward
Hans, eh? I like it.

Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
It's Han dammit The very moment he gave the detonator over to Chewie I knew something bad was gonna happen

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #25
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

Just saw the movie.
Kylo is an ok villain, he is no Vader ( yet ? ) but has potential, his voice ( when masked ) is good. Force wise, the guy can stop a blaster shot mid air ( that scene was awesome ), that's some pretty heavy stuff unfortunately is full of doubts and can not focus which made him a lousy sword fighter ( he was bested too easily by Rey ).
I like the character biography, son of Han & Leia, grandson of Vader, it was a fine reveal.
Gear wise, he's like a sober, leaner version of Vader, nice helmet that matched those of the Stormtroopers but with a more elaborated pattern and the heavy fabric of his cloth gave him a true ancient and knightly presence which was a real contrast to his unmasked face.
The cross shaped light saber was not bad and fitted the look of the character but the trick for me was the blade, vibrating and fiery like the surface of the sun unlike the traditional sabers we saw, the sound also seemed a bit different.

Monsieur Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote