The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 05-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Default Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill

"The Force is with you, young Skywalker,"

I'm thrilled he's Back, he my favorite Star Wars Character both in the film and even more so in the expanded universe. I look forward to seeing him in Episode VII with the rest of the gang. I'm very curious to see if he'll be more like Yoda or Obi-Wan as Jedi Master.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Default Re: Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill

A Jedi master who is still tempted by the dark side?!!! Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

As someone else noted on these forums, usually actors sit next to whomever they're going to have the most scenes with in these table readings. Notice that Hamill is seated next to Anthony Daniels in the picture. That suggests, to me, that Luke will be on some kind of Jedi mission to a planet or planets where he needs 3PO's help translating.

I think this will be like Empire, where the trio splits up and pursues separate journies, with Luke and his new apprentices (including Boyega) doing their thing, while Leia/Han/Ridley deal with other issues.

Remember, too, that when one actress was trying out for a part she was told to "open a backpack and find a lightsaber, then pretend you don't know what it is." That to me suggests that Ridley's character has NOT been trained as a Jedi. Now, if that's true, it makes Hamill not sitting next to her, Ford, and Fisher more interesting, as perhaps there's a split between Luke and Han/Leia over whether Ridley should be trained. In other words, Han/Leia might be playing Owen/Beru to Ridley's Luke. Or perhaps Ridley does not have/does not think she has the Force.

With Ardnt's former involvement, plus the need for an interesting plot, I expect there to be significant family conflict/drama in this one. I think as the movie starts, the importance of Jedi will be downplayed, hence possible ostracism for Luke. Then, as the new threat to the galaxy emerges, the importance of the Jedi in a post-Galactic Empire world will be made clear.

paladinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

in ANH, even though Luke was kept in the dark about his family lineage, was he aware that he had Force powers?

like, did he know that he could do/sense things other people couldn't?

would be interesting if Ridley's character is in a similar situation but with Han and Leia trying to keep the truth about her lineage a secret.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
sueb1863
Side-Kick

Luke acted like he had no idea something like the Force even existed so I don't think he had any premonitions that he had unusual powers. I think they needed training to come out.

sueb1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb1863 View Post
Luke acted like he had no idea something like the Force even existed so I don't think he had any premonitions that he had unusual powers. I think they needed training to come out.
oh.......thanks.

it's been sooooo long since I've watched the OT.

so Luke was totally clueless then.........lol.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
in ANH, even though Luke was kept in the dark about his family lineage, was he aware that he had Force powers?

like, did he know that he could do/sense things other people couldn't?
My sense was that Obi-Wan and Yoda had to basically start from scratch with Luke--witness the remote scene on the Falcon or trying to lift the ship on Dagobah. Luke's training was not easy. Plus, his friends, such as Biggs, did not seem to be in much awe of him--he was just a great pilot. I don't think they would have nicknamed a kid with special powers, "Wormie."

Even in Episode I, Qui-Gon had to explain to Shmi that Anakin's reflexes were a Jedi trait. Anakin knew he was the only human who could pod-race, but it doesn't seem like he concluded he was meant to be a Jedi, even though he knew of their existence.

Edit: And yeah, what Sue said.

paladinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinryan View Post
My sense was that Obi-Wan and Yoda had to basically start from scratch with Luke--witness the remote scene on the Falcon or trying to lift the ship on Dagobah. Luke's training was not easy. Plus, his friends, such as Biggs, did not seem to be in much awe of him--he was just a great pilot. I don't think they would have nicknamed a kid with special powers, "Wormie."

Even in Episode I, Qui-Gon had to explain to Shmi that Anakin's reflexes were a Jedi trait. Anakin knew he was the only human who could pod-race, but it doesn't seem like he concluded he was meant to be a Jedi, even though he knew of their existence.

Edit: And yeah, what Sue said.
thanks.

again, it's been sooo long, so I don't really remember.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

"I've been contacted by George, but not about anything concerning the next three films [the prequel trilogy]. He asked at one time if I would be interested in playing the Obi-Wan type character in the last three films [the sequel trilogy]." --Mark Hamill interviewed by Marc Shapiro in the Summer 1997 issue of Sci-Fi Invasion magazine

May 2008 Total Film interview with George Lucas

Quote:
Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?
I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything! And now, there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married...

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-02-2014 at 05:57 AM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

So there's really only two ways they can approach the Luke character from here after ROTJ:

A.He passed on what he learned about the Force to a brave new age of Jedi Knights,bringing a return of peace and justice to the galaxy just in time to lead them to meet their greatest challenge.

or

B.Luke has retreated to the wilderness of Tatooine for a life of solitude only to find himself pressed back into service at the behest of the New Republic,to train a group of fledgling Jedi to face a dark new enemy.

I'm hoping it'll be more in line with 'A' but expecting 'B'.Any thoughts?

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

I hope it's B. Luke, Han and Leia all playing happy families on Coruscant at the beginning of the movie sounds so boring and a retread of the Prequel Trilogy.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
Octoberist
point blank

There has to be a cool way to reintroduce Luke and I've always felt like either Luke was on a mission and hasn't been scene in years; or deliberately disappeared.

Like what Hyde said, you can't have a situation where let's say the main character (Maybe John Boyega) stumbles upon the Solo's living room with Luke cooking.

My prediction is that Luke knows something is wrong with The Force, but can't put his finger on it so he goes on a personal sabbatical. OR he's disillusioned to the point where he gives up everything and disappears.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I like B, having Luke mirror Yoda.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

Luke really become my favorite Star Wars character based on ROTJ alone. The universe wouldn't be the same without him!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

I really don't like the cliche idea of "bringing the band back together".I always figured Luke to be proactive in training Jedi,not be like "I sorta kinda taught Leia a few things,but I'm done."He was charged be Yoda to pass on what he learned.I don't wanna see him moping around by himself.

And if Luke starts the movie off alone in isolation,it'll just feel off tonally from the end of ROTJ.Sort of how we were supposed to buy Superman going off to find Krypton on a whim for 5 years in Superman Returns.Right there it started off at odds with the previous film (it supposedly being set post SM II) ending with Superman saying "Sorry I've been away so long.I won't let you down again."

We are T. H. E. M.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
Octoberist
point blank

I guess the only difference is that 5 years is a short time compared to 30, where anything can happen.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

True.I only hope they find a damn compelling reason for Luke not to have trained Jedi for 30 years,if that's the case.Things should've gotten better after the Empire fell,not worse.So i'd expect the new republic to be similar to the old republic.

In my mind,the new trilogy is going to be a tougher sell than the prequel trilogy.The PT pretty much went off the way I always imagined it,but I've got clear ideas of what the ST should be,and I doubt they're going to match that with what they're doing.

We are T. H. E. M.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #18
Octoberist
point blank

The craziest thing about Star Wars as a franchise is that by it's very serial nature since A New Hope, we are allowed to kinda..jump right into the action. The catalyst and motives were all done off screen and usually we drop into a crucial moment. No other film series can pull this off.

So we'll see. Yeah I hope it's compelling stuff IF he drops everything for whatever reason.

Maybe he finds a disturbance in the Force, and he chooses to seek out a mystery and just disappears leaving the other Jedi scratching their heads. Maybe the villains of this pieces are like, the Westboro branch of the Sith where they're so insane that even normal Siths are like 'Yeah…'.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
titansupes
Side-Kick

I've always had in my head that Han/Leia their daughter and Chewie would be living on Coruscant (or where ever, the heart of the New Republic) and haven't seen Luke for 3 to 5 years. That all the New Jedi Order are a band of wandering nomads, not officially associated with the NR. I like the idea above that Luke specifically has been off chasing some mysterious anomaly in the Force. He's found when the daughter and her friends are seeking him out, but are attacked by the bad guys. Luke then intervenes.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #20
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Subscribed, favorite characetr, etc.

If he dies I will be really pissed. I'm expecting it and not happy about it.

Especially with this rumor about the first movie being Han-focused. If Luke gets thrown under the bus because JJ likes Han better... oh man the internet has not seen the trollery that I can unleash.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #21
Six
Six Six Six

I think Han is more likely to die, and him having a big role only reinforces that. They're giving him a proper send off.

Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #22
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
There has to be a cool way to reintroduce Luke and I've always felt like either Luke was on a mission and hasn't been scene in years; or deliberately disappeared.

Like what Hyde said, you can't have a situation where let's say the main character (Maybe John Boyega) stumbles upon the Solo's living room with Luke cooking.

My prediction is that Luke knows something is wrong with The Force, but can't put his finger on it so he goes on a personal sabbatical. OR he's disillusioned to the point where he gives up everything and disappears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I like B, having Luke mirror Yoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I really don't like the cliche idea of "bringing the band back together".I always figured Luke to be proactive in training Jedi,not be like "I sorta kinda taught Leia a few things,but I'm done."He was charged be Yoda to pass on what he learned.I don't wanna see him moping around by himself.

And if Luke starts the movie off alone in isolation,it'll just feel off tonally from the end of ROTJ.Sort of how we were supposed to buy Superman going off to find Krypton on a whim for 5 years in Superman Returns.Right there it started off at odds with the previous film (it supposedly being set post SM II) ending with Superman saying "Sorry I've been away so long.I won't let you down again."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
True.I only hope they find a damn compelling reason for Luke not to have trained Jedi for 30 years,if that's the case.Things should've gotten better after the Empire fell,not worse.So i'd expect the new republic to be similar to the old republic.

In my mind,the new trilogy is going to be a tougher sell than the prequel trilogy.The PT pretty much went off the way I always imagined it,but I've got clear ideas of what the ST should be,and I doubt they're going to match that with what they're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The craziest thing about Star Wars as a franchise is that by it's very serial nature since A New Hope, we are allowed to kinda..jump right into the action. The catalyst and motives were all done off screen and usually we drop into a crucial moment. No other film series can pull this off.

So we'll see. Yeah I hope it's compelling stuff IF he drops everything for whatever reason.

Maybe he finds a disturbance in the Force, and he chooses to seek out a mystery and just disappears leaving the other Jedi scratching their heads. Maybe the villains of this pieces are like, the Westboro branch of the Sith where they're so insane that even normal Siths are like 'Yeah…'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I've always had in my head that Han/Leia their daughter and Chewie would be living on Coruscant (or where ever, the heart of the New Republic) and haven't seen Luke for 3 to 5 years. That all the New Jedi Order are a band of wandering nomads, not officially associated with the NR. I like the idea above that Luke specifically has been off chasing some mysterious anomaly in the Force. He's found when the daughter and her friends are seeking him out, but are attacked by the bad guys. Luke then intervenes.
There would be a reason for any kind of self-imposed exile. There was actually some very early rumours about an old Jedi hermit called "The Shade" with his droid companion featuring in an animated series set between VI-VII...

Maybe the reason is what some of the suggestions above were, he senses a disturbance in the Force or is on a mission. Maybe Adam Driver's villain was originally a pupil of his but fell to the dark side, and Luke felt responsible. Another possibility is that the New Republic outright bans Force users because of public backlash - this could drive a wedge between Leia/Han and Luke. Also not the fact that Hamill wasn't sitting with them in the read through, but he was sitting with C-3PO and the majority of the new cast.

Maybe the people don't trust a government that has Force users at the centre of it again after that whole fiasco with the Empire. Imagine if word got out that Luke was Darth Vader's son? Leia could probably get away with it because less people know.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
universeman
Side-Kick

There is one way they could bring him back since
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
it seems there will be Ghost Anakin scene Anakin could tell his Son about a new threat and tell him don't let the dark side take him over like it did him.
Also I don't know Mark Hamill character I like more Luke or Joker maybe Joker.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #24
Great Mind(s)
Broken

What is that, a rumor??? Where did you hear that?

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
Octoberist
point blank

I highly doubt it.