The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #76
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I think all three of them knew before the announcement, because George had that dinner with them months prior informing them that Episode 7-9 were happening.

Hamill will be in the best shape possible when he appears in Star Wars Episode VII.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #77
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
The one thing the original trilogy lacked was the seriously awesome death of a main character.
Ummm, Vader?

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #78
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCarlson View Post
Ummm, Vader?
I obviously meant the good guys.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #79
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Obi-Wan,Yoda......

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #80
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
I obviously meant the good guys.
Obi wan, Yoda?
I know we got their force ghosts, but they were still killed. I remember the impact Yoda dying made. It was unexpected.

I really hope they don't kill off Han. It would be a bummer to re-watch his triumph in the original trilogy just to know that he was tragically killed off later.

C_Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #81
jmc
callin' it like I see it

You guys seriously think both of those were awesome deaths?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #82
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I agree. I hope their deaths(if it does happen) aren't something silly, but more heroic than anything. Somebody brought up something in another thread about Chewie sacrificing himself to save Han's kids. I don't think I'd make it through that scene without sheding a tear.
That happened in the books & it wasn't as awesome as you think. I'm pretty if the sequels follow the EU, they'll retcon that part. I think Chewie is safe from death, he's too marketable to kill off.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #83
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
You guys seriously think both of those were awesome deaths?
What do you mean by awesome? I cared about the charachters and that's more important than them going out in some flashy glorious way. (although, old school fx aside obi-wan had a pretty dramatic ending). they mattered more to me than anyone who died in the prequels because the development of their charachters was so much better. It's more about the emotional connection and not some cliche story point. If they kill someone off in the sequel trilogy it has to be something that really came from story development and not just something they think the fans expect.

C_Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #84
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Am I the only one that doesn't want any of the original 3 killed off?

I don't get the bloodthirsty nature of some of these fans calling for our (my) childhood heroes' deaths.

Last edited by NiteMare Shape; 02-16-2013 at 09:03 PM.
NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #85
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

i dont want anyone to die of the orginial 3 just get the feeling han will cause of his comments in the past about wanting to be killed off in a blaze of glory

Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #86
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
i dont want anyone to die of the orginial 3 just get the feeling han will cause of his comments in the past about wanting to be killed off in a blaze of glory
No I know, but I've been seeing calls for all three of them to be taken out all over the web, not just here. I guess some things just aren't sacred anymore

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #87
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Copperpot View Post
Obi wan, Yoda?
I know we got their force ghosts, but they were still killed. I remember the impact Yoda dying made. It was unexpected.

I really hope they don't kill off Han. It would be a bummer to re-watch his triumph in the original trilogy just to know that he was tragically killed off later.
It's not a bummer watching Obi-Wan knowing he gets killed off later. With how volatile the star wars fan base is, if Han or any of the OT characters die, it'll be meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
That happened in the books & it wasn't as awesome as you think. I'm pretty if the sequels follow the EU, they'll retcon that part. I think Chewie is safe from death, he's too marketable to kill off.
Every source I've seen has said they're not. The EU is almost surely soon to be rendered non cannon.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #88
jb007
Side-Kick

Remember Abrams said he would be back in some way. Leading me to believe while Han Solo will be the focus Ford may not be the main Solo.

Perhaps he narates, or is shown talking about his youth.

At any rate it's going to be fun!

John 16:33

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."
jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #89
James
Built from Lego

I don't think wanting to see any of the OT characters killed of is "blood lust". It's just a natural progression of their stories and some fans want to see it handled in a meaningful way. Star Wars isn't Marvel or DC where the characters just live forever.

Personally I'm not fussed one way or the other. If they're killed off and do it well, great. If they don't kill them off and leave it an open ended question, or leave it to the EU, that's cool too.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #90
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

If Han Solo is coming back, I think this could be the movie where he actually will die. Now I don't know how much of Ford's mind has changed on the matter or if it has in any way influenced him in coming back, but in terms of story, it's not something that's impossible to think about if they would be coming back. Something significant could happen. It may just not be, "Hey the gangs all here for one movie!"

Which by the way, I think will happen. They'll be here to ease our way into the next phase of the series and pass it off to the new cast that will be with them.

And as long as Han goes out like a boss I won't have any problem with it. Imagine him crashing the Falcon. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcon was inherited by the new characters.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 02-17-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #91
BenKenobi
Banned User

Han almost died in Jedi, I was personally kinda hoping they'd say he died between films. Lets face it, it's a bit of a let down seeing our childhood heroes looking like those old guys that dress up like them subconsciously trying to be cool (Me and my co workers play a game where we try see who can get the most old men wearing khakis, a brown leather jacket, and a brown look alike fedora, bonus points for the satchel.) Anyway, I see more reason for old Luke returning than Han (and even then I almost want a recast because 2013 Hamil isn't exactly in...Jedi Master physique.), but I'm sure they'll have purpose and do it well.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #92
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

jedi master physique, what is that, like obi wan in ANH or maybe like Yoda? Hamill needs to get dyingly old, green and wrinkly fast!

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #93
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Which by the way, I think will happen. They'll be here to ease our way into the next phase of the series and pass it off to the new cast that will be with them.
That's what I see happening. I believe Ford and anyone else from the OT will strictly be used as grease to the wheels of the new movies.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #94
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
If Han Solo is coming back, I think this could be the movie where he actually will die. Now I don't know how much of Ford's mind has changed on the matter or if it has in any way influenced him in coming back, but in terms of story, it's not something that's impossible to think about if they would be coming back. Something significant could happen. It may just not be, "Hey the gangs all here for one movie!"

And as long as Han goes out like a boss I won't have any problem with it. Imagine him crashing the Falcon. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcon was inherited by the new characters.
Do you think Disney will proceed with Episodes X-XII? What about Kotor getting a trilogy?

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #95
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

George Lucas should get a cameo....

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #96
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
jedi master physique, what is that, like obi wan in ANH or maybe like Yoda? Hamill needs to get dyingly old, green and wrinkly fast!
What is Jedi Master physique? Not round.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #97
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
George Lucas should get a cameo....
as the Emperor II...

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #98
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

I never got people or ford himself wanting the character to die. I prefer when I love a character to see them grow and face there new lives and accept it. I always find killing the character off as a bit of a let down and lazy in some aspects. You can still have the same Han as a older retired or current general.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #99
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

For Han (especially in ROTJ) it would have been the ultimate arc for him though. He was the thief that cared usually only for himself, he evolved, and him dying for his friends is something completely a 180 for his character. And usually we see most characters we love live. It creates more tension that anyone can fall, and it makes things more unpredictable and just creates a subtle tension. That's why Kasdan wanted it in ROTJ but Lucas did not want that in the end. And it's not lazy if done right, and with the Thief (with the heart of gold) it's a great thing. To me it can be as lazy to let them survive too. Sadly one of the lows in ROTJ Han did not really "grow" much. But what ever is best for the story I'm sure Ardt will do justice with it.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #100
Jack Napier
Side-Kick

I don't get the bloodlust. Solo's one of the most well-liked characters in film history, and after waiting 30+ years, he's killed off? Someone mentioned Chewie dying, and that makes a lot more sense to me.

Instead of having Solo go out in a blaze of glory, he needs to not be a p*ssy. I hate to say it, but in ROTJ, he was becoming a little too sentimental. I know it's part of his arc and all, but no one wants to see Solo say those three words to Princess Leia.

Also, while Hamill is getting into shape, that's a hell of an uphill battle for Carrie Fisher. Leia did a lot of death sticks in the past 30 years.

Jack Napier is offline   Reply With Quote