The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #151
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Napier View Post
They want to see his arc continue as a cocky smuggler. I don't feel I'm generalizing when I say that is what makes him different from other heroes in the past 30 years.
See, if your problem lies with RotJ Han, then it's the writing that made him "mushy". But ESB Han became caring and selfless, without losing his cockiness. It was the perfect balance and I'm sure they know this. Still, it was progress from the smartass that was ANH Han. If you want that Han, then I will once again say you're generalizing. If you want the evolution of ESB Han, then I'm with you.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #152
Jack Napier
Side-Kick

Totally on the same page.

While Han is still the coolest character in ROTJ, once he leaves Jabba's palace, he loses a step. Just a handful of out of character moments.

When he and Lando are talking, he's like, "You're the smart one, remember?" And Lando gives him this, "s*** yeah, I am" smile. The hell, man? No mention of the fact the guy kind of screwed you over for political gain on Cloud City. I've been waiting for "Family Guy" to make fun of this forever...

That, and he was a little butthurt. "Could you tell Luke, is that who you could tell?" Or, "When he comes back...I won't get in the way." Granted, the series was winding down, but still.

Regardless, Harrison coming back is awesome news. Remember that great moment in ESB where Han just kind of stares at Luke before the Hoth battle? Ford is the master of conveying emotion without saying a word. The missile strike in "Patriot Games", jumping off the dam in "The Fugitive". He doesn't need superfluous lines like, "I hope she's all right..." in ROTJ.

Jack Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #153
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

I didn't go back and read all the posts, but has anyone talked about who would play Han in the spinoff film? If Chris pine or Carl urban hadn't been in the new star trek movies they would have been interesting choices. Pine definitely has that cocky confident vibe that Harrison had in the OT. Who else could pull it off? Maybe Gerard butler or someone like that? Just Curious if that has been debated.

C_Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #154
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Jack Napier: Fair enough, understood AND agreed.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #155
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Copperpot View Post
I didn't go back and read all the posts, but has anyone talked about who would play Han in the spinoff film? If Chris pine or Carl urban hadn't been in the new star trek movies they would have been interesting choices. Pine definitely has that cocky confident vibe that Harrison had in the OT. Who else could pull it off? Maybe Gerard butler or someone like that? Just Curious if that has been debated.
Here.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #156
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Irdis Elba?! LOL...

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #157
Jack Napier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubricklynch View Post
Except those actors are all as at least as old as Harrison Ford was when filming ANH. It makes no sense to have them be younger versions of Han.
Someone on the "Blade Runner" documentary said, "What Harrison does isn't easy. He takes on what Errol Flynn does and he does it better. He makes it his own." An actor of this caliber comes along every 30 years or so.

Let's forget the Han Solo character for just a second. How many times, in the past 30+ years, have you seen an actor channel that same screen presence and nail it like Harrison Ford? Many young actors try, all of them fail. That is why Ford's performance is so praised. If it was that easy to replicate his essence on film, someone would have done it already.

I remember before Indy 4 came out, people suggested every young up-and-coming actor to replace Ford. When "Gladiator" came out, it was Russell Crowe. After "X-Men", it was Hugh Jackman. Someone saw the poster for "Hidalgo" and suggested Viggo Mortensen. That continues now with the young Han Solo suggestions. Pine, Urban, etc. There will be someone as good as, if not better than Ford down the line. But until that day, we're going to get a lot of unworthy names thrown out there.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #158
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

I don't think anyone can replace Harrison Ford in any of his iconic characters. Not Indiana Jones, not Han Solo, nor Rick Deckard.

TheDevilIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #159
C_Copperpot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilIsMe View Post
I don't think anyone can replace Harrison Ford in any of his iconic characters. Not Indiana Jones, not Han Solo, nor Rick Deckard.
I agree, but they're going to have to pick someone since the Han Solo stand alone films are pretty much confirmed. I don't think anyone stands out at his point, but I hope there is someone who can pull it off! It'd be fun to see the earlier adventures of Han Solo done well.

C_Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #160
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah, with the Young Han Solo spin-off, I too think there's too much traction in that rumor for it not to be true at this point. But Jack Napier is right: For years and years, we've gotten 'Harrison Ford' types but they just lack the nuances to make them memorable. Ford has the playfulness down, but when he can be extremely mean-spirited at the right moments. He has this one-of-a-kind vulnerability that guys like Chris Pine lacks. And I like Pine.

When it comes to Han Solo rogue types, it belongs to Harrison Ford exclusively because he is an anomaly of an actor, just like Star Wars itself. It's like how you can't be the next Arnold or the next Clint Eastwood. They're lightening in a bottle.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #161
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I disagree. People really did say the same thing about Kirk and Spock and so forth. I too love Ford as Han, but if they could find a young man that could be like him power to them. And BTW guys the president said any of the spin-off's are subject to change and are just in "talking about" stages.

But I would say that one could possibly capture what he did.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #162
Destructus86
Side-Kick

They could re-cast any of the old characters...as younger versions. Like origin stories...but re-casting them as older characters just wouldn't work without the originals. The only reason it worked with Star Trek was because it was somewhat of a partial reboot. But Star Wars isn't...it's a continuation of the story.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #163
Jack Napier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Yeah, with the Young Han Solo spin-off, I too think there's too much traction in that rumor for it not to be true at this point. But Jack Napier is right: For years and years, we've gotten 'Harrison Ford' types but they just lack the nuances to make them memorable. Ford has the playfulness down, but when he can be extremely mean-spirited at the right moments. He has this one-of-a-kind vulnerability that guys like Chris Pine lacks. And I like Pine.

When it comes to Han Solo rogue types, it belongs to Harrison Ford exclusively because he is an anomaly of an actor, just like Star Wars itself. It's like how you can't be the next Arnold or the next Clint Eastwood. They're lightening in a bottle.
I couldn't have said it any better. And I'm not saying other actors don't try hard to emulate what Ford's done. But it reminds me of this quote someone had about actors appearing on SNL: "The more you prepare, the less funny you end up being." I think so much of what Ford has was natural and try hard as you will, you can't emulate that.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #164
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare Shape View Post
Irdis Elba?! LOL...
In white-face!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #165
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Napier View Post
I couldn't have said it any better. And I'm not saying other actors don't try hard to emulate what Ford's done. But it reminds me of this quote someone had about actors appearing on SNL: "The more you prepare, the less funny you end up being." I think so much of what Ford has was natural and try hard as you will, you can't emulate that.
Ewan Mcgregor and Alec Guiness, this has been done before, in the same franchize might I add.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #166
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

As much as I love Ewan and Obi Wan, I don't think that comparison should be so casually made. Ewan was playing a completely different kind of character, and one that had a much smaller role than Han Solo. I think Obi Wan is a lot easier to get right than Solo.

That said, I have no doubt that someone can replace him in a Solo-prequel.

In fact, I think that's what they should have done with the Indiana Jones character. They should have made the series like the Bond franchise, with different people playing Jones throughout the years. Sure, you're going to get a flop or two, but eventually someone will come along and do justice to the original character. Maybe if that happened, people would be more open to this sort of thing.

A little more on topic, that list in that poll thread won't work, as someone else pointed out. Those guys are all way too old to play a younger Han Solo.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #167
Jack Napier
Side-Kick

Someone did play the young Indiana Jones: Sean Patrick Flanery. Look how that turned out.

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones and Han Solo. I'd prefer it if they just came up with a new exciting character.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #168
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

River Phoniex was a pretty good young Indy though.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #169
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Yeah, I wasn't talking about someone playing a young Indiana Jones though. I'm talking about someone playing the same character Harrison Ford played three times, a la James Bond. And citing one example (of a TV show, iIrc, which makes it even more irrelevant) does not an argument make. What if they stopped making James Bond films after Lazenby (I don't know if he was good, but for this example, pretend he wasn't). If that were the case, we would never have gotten Craig as Bond, who many people argue is equal to or better than Sean Connery, the original Bond. I'm just saying, it totally could have worked for Indy, which would have been beyond awesome.

Anyway, sorry for getting so off topic.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #170
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Am I the only one who hopes that they ignore the EU and have Han not married to Leia let alone having had children with her?

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #171
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

If they bring all 3 back, the way RotJ ended, do you think they'll have them not be together?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #172
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

yeah why not? People split up all the time, we saw the very begining of their relationship, who's to say it worked out, even if he loved her dearly I could see Han messing something up and them no longer being together

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #173
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Ain't this type of stories, I think. But I have been wrong before.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #174
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
yeah why not? People split up all the time, we saw the very begining of their relationship, who's to say it worked out, even if he loved her dearly I could see Han messing something up and them no longer being together
Even if they went that route, it would be extremely cheap and weird if it happened offscreen with (I would assume) little information. Plus, I just don't see a good reason to do it, other than to enforce realism, which shouldn't be done in Star Wars.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #175
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Even if they went that route, it would be extremely cheap and weird if it happened offscreen with (I would assume) little information. Plus, I just don't see a good reason to do it, other than to enforce realism, which shouldn't be done in Star Wars.
why would it be cheap and weird? I think there being an air of mystery about why they arent together would be fine, the awkward part where they see each other again for the first time, Han sarcastically greeting her; "princess" to me would feel very in character, these break ups have happened inbetween movies a plethora of times (just off the top of my head Die Hard and Speed, but Im sure it has happened even more times than that).

A good reason? well i think being a bit of a loner suits Hans character quite well for starters, gives him a potential redemption story arc too, I could just as easily say I see no good reason for them to have remained together all this time, I just don't see why many believe them being together still is a foregone conclusion, people have multiple relationships in real life before finding their husband or wife - maybe Han messed up and looks to win Leia back after realising she is the love of his life, it can add layers to a character and give a sub story

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★