The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #226
Jexx
the Emerald Eagle

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 1

I meant in terms of competition for TASM2.

Emerald Eagle
Position:Head Assistant Researcher
Department(s):Nano-tech, Cross-Species Genetics

Why Peter Parker in The Amazing Spider-Man isn't a 'dick' or a 'brooding loner'.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #227
AF3619
WOOO!

is Marc going to tweet something today? ,

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #228
WesMan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
is Marc going to tweet something today? ,
Well, it's 11:00pm in New York...so there's a possibility if they're shooting a night scene. But he hasn't really said anything about today (like whether or not he'll be posting.) Hope he does, though.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #229
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMan View Post
Well, it's 11:00pm in New York...so there's a possibility if they're shooting a night scene. But he hasn't really said anything about today (like whether or not he'll be posting.) Hope he does, though.
haha is the a crazy possibility that we get a first official look to the sequel?,

-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #230
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. Truly.
I am going to reply to some of your blog points...

You start off the comparisons of ASM and SM1-3 with a picture of JarJar. That already tells me that the coming is going to be borderline trollolo, an obvious attempt to build up a movie that critics and the general audience agree was a mediocre movie. You can have your own opinion, that's fine, but you have nothing to reinforce that opinion to make credible.

You start off with
Quote:
In order to accurately judge the show I would have to watch AT LEAST several more episodes to see how the story and characters progress. The first episode doesn't resolve the larger story because it ISN'T SUPPOSED TO. It's a series. That's the point.
Yet you continue to analyze ASM to SM1-3. You are comparing the first movie of a series to another trilogy. It's completely pointless other than to force weight upon your argument to your side. ASM is one movie. The next one can be the worst movie ever made yet you are so confident in the entire story that you yet don't know. So, the entire foundation you used to write this blog post is inherently faulty.

But, lets speak on how you think movies that have completed arcs with strands of a trilogy built in are worse than an entire movie that is basically Act I of a trilogy. First off, it's film making 101 to have acts in each movie with a climax and resolution for the main character. Look at all the great superhero movies ever made. How many of them are doing what you say you don't like for them to do? None of them. No first movie in a superhero series is such a whorish attempt by using sequel bait as ASM. Secondly, it's common sense that you make the best first film you can for hopes of potential sequels. You can't invest in a trilogy without having a solid foundation to build upon. There's a reason for that. People on here have said 'oh well this is a first'. Peter didn't learn anything in ASM. Nothing got resolved. It was a mediocre written script with dropped plot arcs and overly obvious attempts to make people come back for more. You don't go to a steakhouse and get a salad to have the owner tell you to come back tomorrow for the next course. How asinine. The Parents storyline is completely dropped once Peter goes to OSCORP and gets bitten. Uncle Ben's killer is completely forgotten once Lizard comes into the picture and isn't hinted at until the end of the friggin movie. In this movie, Peter hasn't learned a damn thing. He hasn't confronted his Uncle's killer, he hasn't confronted his parent's killer, he hasn't learned that with great power comes great responsibility. He learns absolutely nothing. That shows that the writing is mediocre to me. Dropped characters like Ratha shows that the movie was terribly edited. If this movie is such a masterfully crafted trilogy, why did they cut out Ratha's death? Why was Connor's family cut out?

Quote:
Raimi rooters
continued trollolo...

Quote:
J. Jonah Jameson was expertly cast (J.K. Simmons for the win) but he was two-dimensional at best,
Does he need a secret cocaine habit?

Quote:
Take 'Ultimate Spider-man'
No. If you want to knock Raimi on his portrayal of JJJ, lets knock Webb for making one of the lamest villains ever, Lizard. All he wants to do is turn other people into Lizards. That was the saddest plotline they could choose from that character and yet they did. If you want to reference Ultimate comics, why not talk about Ultimate Lizard? Fwomp.

Quote:
The same can be said for Robbie and Betty.
You can't have every character in a movie deeply developed. OMG why didn't they develop Stacy's wife and other kids beside Gwen. Way to go Webb.

Quote:
Aunt May never really got a chance to develop into something other than a strong-yet-naive shoulder for Peter to cry on.
What did Aunt May in this one do? She was a shoulder for Peter to turn away from. TOMG excellent writing!

Quote:
For instance, when Uncle Ben gives peter 'the responsibility talk' it stems (seemingly) from ONE skirmish that Pete had with Flash Thompson.
It's the exact same damn thing in this movie.

Quote:
Sure Ben makes some veiled references to "those weird experiments" in Peter's room, but really there doesn't seem to be a major reason to get overly concerned about Pete's behavior (at least not that Uncle Ben would be aware of).
Peter fought Flash at school. After never doing so ever before, Ben starts to put together that Peter is changing. He has been acting weird lately. He goes straight to his room and he skips chores. Peter getting in a fight is a pretty damn big reason for Ben to be concerned of...which is the culmination of all the other weird behavior.

Your entire first paragraph about The Plot is the exact same thing in both Raimi's and Webb's first movie...combining the origin of Spider-Man with the origin of a major villain. Raimi had Goblin and Webb had Lizard. While I will agree that I wish Raimi had saved Goblin for 2 or 3, it was the first movie and you have to use an iconic villain to bring in the crowds. It's why Batman 89 used the Joker. It's why Superman 78 had Lex Luthor. It's why X1 had Magneto. All of these first movies have to go big or go home. Had this been 2001 and Webb been at the helm, it would have been the same.

Quote:
The first half hour+ of the film (being bitten by the Spider, Uncle Ben's death etc.) was completely disconnected from the rest.
The first half hour of ASM (Peter investigating his parent's death and Ben's death) was completely disconnected from the rest.

Quote:
The Spider? A complete accident entirely unrelated to anything to do with Norman becoming the Green Goblin.
Just like in the original comic?

Quote:
But after discovering who Ben's killer is, it's a lesson that he never returns to.
It sure does in SM2.

Quote:
It was a point many of my friends and a number of reviewers made about why they preferred 'Spider-man 2'.
And I guarantee you that your friends will feel the same about ASM2 compared to ASM.

Quote:
LEAVING US WANTING MORE
As I indicated a few paragraphs ago, and in my last post (about the villains), Raimi's first film didn't really leave itself anywhere to go. By the end Peter had...

- Graduated high school? Check.
- Come into his own as a superhero with a competent handle on his powers? Check.
- Established a clear sense of purpose with all his priorities about responsibility in order? Check.
- Successfully faced off and defeated his first major villain in life or death battle? Check.
- Peter graduating High School isn't the most important thing in Spider-Man's life. I have no idea why this is a neg for SM1. More happens in Spider-Man post High School days unless you lean on USM.
- You mention Iron Man and Batman Begins being masterful stories. Both of those had the character established with a clear sense of purpose with all responsibilities in order.
- Same thing happened in ASM. Fwomp.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when I bring the other half.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #231
Spideyman123
Side-Kick

y u no tweet Day 11 Marc

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #232
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyman123 View Post
y u no tweet Day 11 Marc
because he is busy filming a movie or something like that?

-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #233
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Because you said this:

Which implies that the ONLY reason I wrote the blog was to (for some reason) provide 'false' propaganda to unfairly bolster the film's reputation.

In fact I merely saw a film that I REALLY liked, and upon thinking it over for some time decided to write about it.

And yes, you keep using the word 'opinion', but then you say that my "opinion holds no truth", which seems to indicate that you believe that my prefrences are somehow wrong simply because they are different than yours.
Which implies what I said. Your opinion is making the film better to you, that's all. To me, it's a load of crock that is making the film better than what it is, hence why I said it. To you, it's a different story, to Picard it's different, hence why he continues to post the same link in trying to make a point to the "non-believers".

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #234
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Any other hardcore Spidey fans disturbed by the idea that Spidey might be beaten critically in 2014 by another Marvel property? I kinda am.
If TAS-M 2 isn't any better than the first, it will indeed be bested, critically, by Days of Future Past for sure. Marvel Studios' films? Still a toss-up if you ask me. They have only been on a roll with Iron Man and The Avengers, imo.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #235
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

See, this is why I don't post here more often. It's like a regular back and forth between two extremes of loving or hating ASM. It's either 'Raimi rooters' or 'Raimi revisionists' and other nonsense.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #236
chaseter
Bland User

I rarely talk about SM1-3 unless it's pointlessly attacked. What I see more often in here is people tearing down other movies (SM1-3, TDKR, Marvel movies) in order to raise up ASM. I try to keep other movies out of my beefs with ASM.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #237
Rated-X
Side-Kick

Raimi is the best.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #238
X-Rated
Side-Kick

No he's not.

Barry "U.S." Bonds #762 & counting
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #239
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I rarely talk about SM1-3 unless it's pointlessly attacked. What I see more often in here is people tearing down other movies (SM1-3, TDKR, Marvel movies) in order to raise up ASM. I try to keep other movies out of my beefs with ASM.
I know. I see that too and I'm not singling anyone out. Just saying that this part of the forum always seems to get into a back and forth of between saying TASM sucks or rules.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #240
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Any other hardcore Spidey fans disturbed by the idea that Spidey might be beaten critically in 2014 by another Marvel property? I kinda am.

2014 is an all Marvel competition - Spidey, X-Men, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing from DC or anyone else. Since Spidey is Marvel's #1 character and the only character they have that is able to rival guys like Batman and Superman in iconic image, I think it will be pretty embarrassing for him if he doesn't have the best comic book movie of 2014 when it is an all Marvel competition. I may sound like a fanboy but any of the 3 other Marvel movies beating Spidey either financially or critically will make Spidey look bad IMO.

I'm not too worried about Spidey financially but I am worried about him critically. I think Days of Future Past has a chance of beating Spidey in that department. Based on most of the stuff I heard, it sounds like the most ambitious X-Men movie to date. You have the Sentinels and you have people like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman coming back. I fear it may give TASM 2 some competition (not too worried about Cap or the Guardians though).
I don't think this is something to really worry about. Even if Spider-Man is beaten critically by X-Men: Days of Future Past, I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment, and it certainly wouldn't make Spider-Man look "bad" either. Not every Spider-Man film is going to be amazing. James Bond had some clunkers along the way, but that never hurt him. This is going to be only one of many more Spider-Man movies to come.

As long as the movies are good, then its fine. So if TASM2 gets an 80% on RT for example, but X-Men: DOFP gets 90%... does it really matter?

For all we know, TASM2 will beat DOFP, which could turn out to be a huge mess. Singer made X-Men and X2... while I think they are fantastic, there is also something very dull about them. Something was missing, and I can't put my finger on it. Let's also not forget how he was responsible for Superman Returns as well (gee, that was a success). For all we know, DOFP can be another X-Men film with way too many characters, and a poorly written script. Actually, too many characters is a huge concern for me and this movie, but I'm hoping for the best.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 02-19-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #241
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

As long as TASM2 is good itself and does enough money to warrant a sequel then I'll be satisfied. I'm not bothered if X-men is a better film or if it makes more money, just as long as we can be happy with TASM2 and it doesn't lose too much money to its competition.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #242
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated-X View Post
Raimi is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
No he's not.

You twins?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #243
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
As long as TASM2 is good itself and does enough money to warrant a sequel then I'll be satisfied. I'm not bothered if X-men is a better film or if it makes more money, just as long as we can be happy with TASM2 and it doesn't lose too much money to its competition.
Agreed entirely. I just want a good movie. And a decent box office to warrant a sequel.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 02-19-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #244
Octoberist
point blank

While I thought the first film was mishandled, it seems like Webber has more control with ''Amazing Spidey 2". I'm cautiously optimistic.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #245
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

2014 is an all Marvel competition - Spidey, X-Men, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing from DC or anyone else. Since Spidey is Marvel's #1 character and the only character they have that is able to rival guys like Batman and Superman in iconic image, I think it will be pretty embarrassing for him if he doesn't have the best comic book movie of 2014 when it is an all Marvel competition. I may sound like a fanboy but any of the 3 other Marvel movies beating Spidey either financially or critically will make Spidey look bad IMO.

I'm not too worried about Spidey financially but I am worried about him critically. I think Days of Future Past has a chance of beating Spidey in that department. Based on most of the stuff I heard, it sounds like the most ambitious X-Men movie to date. You have the Sentinels and you have people like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman coming back. I fear it may give TASM 2 some competition (not too worried about Cap or the Guardians though).
You brought this up before I believe. I am not worried. Spidey has the premiere May opener slot for a reason. As you said, he's their biggest property other than Avengers and maybe arguably Iron Man now. I don't think DOFP is going to do more than $600m. GotG is really up in the air, but I think if it hits, it will hit HARD, but not so much to topple Spider-Man. I am confident that TASM2 will be an $800m film if not a $1b one. And no I'm not crazy, in this day and age a good Spider-Man movie should be able to gross over a billion dollars world wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
While I thought the first film was mishandled, it seems like Webber has more control with ''Amazing Spidey 2". I'm cautiously optimistic.
Yes, this is also something I noticed. Webb seems to be much more in the driver's seat with this film than the first, since he was basically brought in last minute with that one and I doubt he had much if any control over the direction of the film die to certain circumstances. Can't wait to see what his true vision of the film is like (already off to a good start with the eyes and bringing in multiple facets of the Spidey universe in the correct way).

Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #246
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I must say that Raimi shows some real class! Respect to him!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #247
Naite22
Side-Kick

For me, Spidey is the most interesting superhero flick to come out in 2014... Captain America 2. Please... He's just so UNinteresting.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #248
Smegger56
The Smegginator

TASM2 will beat the Marvel competition IMO, in terms of BO. It's spidey

Now crtically? If it's as good or better then TASM, not a problem. The biggest complaint about TASM I hear alot of was that it was a reboot and they retold the origin. With that out the way (I loved it btw) it should do fine.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #249
Spider-Aziz
I like Nachos

Quote:
Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
You twins?
That's what their profiles say

"I Never Apologize."
Want to choose me as "Villain of 2014"?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #250
SpideyFan92
Side-Kick

Yeah I think so too that ASM2 will beat the Marvel competition. I think Electro's visuals will probably be the part of the movie that would stand out the most.

Closed Thread