The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes IV - VI

Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Polux
Side-Kick

Default So, for how long did Luke train...??

I just watched the original trilogy after many, many years, and boy! Do I love these movies!! Also, my girlfriend has never seen the originals, so it was the perfect opportunity; one question lingers tho; for how long did Luke train?? In ESB Luke spends what it seems no more than a few days with Yoda before facing Vader, and then at the beginning of RoTJ he's already a Jedi; I always assumed that he went back to Yoda to finish his training in between movies, my girl thinks he never went back, can anyone shed any light on it....??

Thanx

Polux.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: So, for how long did Luke train...??

If you take the EU into account, he never went back (as shown in Shadows of the Empire).

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Polux
Side-Kick

So he just trained for like 15 minutes and became a Jedi knight?? That's some intensive training Yoda gave'im...I have to admit, it kinda ruins it for me a little bit...

Polux

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Well, according to Yoda, Luke wouldn't become a full Jedi until he conquered Vader and his Emperor. Now, of course Luke basically cheated by giving in to anger which is how he beat Darth, but he did come to his senses and stopped himself from killing his father and stood up against the Emperor in peace. That made him a Jedi.

I think Luke trained for some days on Dagobah in TESB and then went back to continue his training before the events of ROTJ for however long.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Luke's statement in ROTJ "I have a promise to keep... to an old friend" could be interpreted two ways. 1) He is referring to his promise in ESB to go back and continue his training, which means he didn't go back prior to ROTJ. 2) He refers to Yoda as an "old friend," implying that they had more training sessions.

You can interpret it as you will. There's no doubt, however, that Luke is more powerful at the start of ROTJ than he is at the end of ESB. That implies progression.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

In a RotJ cut scene it is implied that he trained by himself in Obi's old hut after ESB. And I'm inclined to believe he didn't return to Dagobah post-ESB, because in RotJ he asks Yoda if Vader is really his father. You'd think if he had gone back that question would've been asked in one year.

It's 100% certain that he did train, though. RotJ is far more powerful than ESB Luke.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

You mean the lightsaber construction scene?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Yes. Also, I edited my post with some more ideas why he might not have returned.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Luke's statement in ROTJ "I have a promise to keep... to an old friend" could be interpreted two ways. 1) He is referring to his promise in ESB to go back and continue his training, which means he didn't go back prior to ROTJ. 2) He refers to Yoda as an "old friend," implying that they had more training sessions.
That's my interpretation of it. He never went back to Yoda after he left in ESB until ROTJ.

I speculate that he continued with what Yoda taught him on his own, because he does seem more mature and in control when we see him in ROTJ.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
So he just trained for like 15 minutes and became a Jedi knight?? That's some intensive training Yoda gave'im...I have to admit, it kinda ruins it for me a little bit...

Polux
Being a Jedi wasn't so much about "training" and all that until the prequels. In the originals it was more a metaphor for becoming and adult, your full self. Luke wasn't ready to face Vader because he wasn't mature enough to face the dark reality of the world and accept the fact that his parents weren't perfect and in the end he'd be on his own, he was like a kid with the mindset they are invincible and everything works out. It was about discipline and knowing the dangers of taking the easy way out.

He lost his right hand in the fight symbolizing a loss of what he relies on most, the form of the status quo and the truths he hold to. The idea is that in the time between the two films he was able to rapidly mature and balance his feelings allowing him to take all of what he learned seriously. If you watch Empire and Jedi again you'll notice right away Luke has an entirely different personality in the final film.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
He refers to Yoda as an "old friend," implying that they had more training sessions.
Maybe he means "my friend who is old".

Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It was probably an expression, not to be taken literally.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Also got dye job...

At any rate, the way I see it is that he trained basically for whatever time it took the Falcon to reach Bespin. SW no sense of scale etc., but it may have taken a month or so.
It's kind of murky a bit - Han and Leia of course didn't really "develop" their relationship in that time span, they pretty much arrived on the cloud city as they were in the previous scene; maybe a week?

The perspective it really works best from is the "cinematic" one - it all happens in the "tranquil" middle part of the movie between the fast, actioney first act and the climactic last act, and while the Falcon adventures fill that time with drama and excitement, the tranquil mood of Luke's training scenes, along with common sense, helps make it feel "long" and "important".

So it feels just right when watching and being immersed into the movie (magic), and that's I think the important part. And when the more rational part of the brain awakes and starts making trouble, the Han/Leia plotline has several "resting points" in it (the space worm, on the star destroyer etc.) that may have taken slightly more time than a few hours, so it's all cool

justpassinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #14
Fox
Side-Kick

My understanding is that Luke did not return to Dagobah in between films.

Besides the fact that he makes a reference to keeping his promise, and asking about Vader, I'm pretty sure he also apologizes to Yoda for not returning sooner. All indications are that he didn't return, which would imply that his time with Yoda was a few days at most (and even then, probably shorter). Admittedly that does seem a bit rushed, but I don't let it ruin the film for me.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote