The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #326
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ahhh well although the Dark Knight isn't my favourite (Top 5 though) I can understand why you'd put it there. Also you're preaching to the choir on Incredibles, its well incredible lol I can't believe we haven't gotten a sequel to it.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #327
titansupes
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Ahhh well although the Dark Knight isn't my favourite (Top 5 though) I can understand why you'd put it there. Also you're preaching to the choir on Incredibles, its well incredible lol I can't believe we haven't gotten a sequel to it.
I know! Apparently Bird and Co. haven't thought of a sequel idea that they really, really love and don't just want to force one out for the sake of it. I respect that.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #328
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Hell yes to both of those.

People have mentioned this Avengers stuff a couple of times now. What did he say exactly?
Tbh; I can' remember exactly.lol..but I think he said something about how Hulk or Thor would fight EVERY member of the group, etc..or something about the "Inhumans" being present in the film as well, etc.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #329
mohoo
Side-Kick

In an Avengers like cast, Cavill could easily shine, but between 6 Oscar winners and nominees, it's not easy not to "look lacking", especially when you play one of the less dramatic characters.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #330
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I know! Apparently Bird and Co. haven't thought of a sequel idea that they really, really love and don't just want to force one out for the sake of it. I respect that.
Oh yeah so do I. I'd rather they left it alone than tarnish it. Ill be honest I'm shocked that Disney didn't do an animated series though. Not that I'd have watched it mind but you could totally see how they could have done an animated series. Ah well at least we got Megamind from Dreamworks :d

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #331
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
It is almost like they've taken the Latino Review positive reaction buzz and just spinned it into that isn't it.

If on the off chance they do have an actual scoop here. I wouldn't be surprised it looks amazing, if anything I'm confident its going to be my favourite film of all-time.
Well, they did have someone on set send them pictures and a scene description. That person could have been invited to the screening and offered a report.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #332
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Not having seen MOS yet, I shall delay my review of Cavill’s performance.

But some general thoughts… My idea of a properly realized cinematic Superman is the “Gary Cooper” type - strong and silent, calm and confident, reserved and often enigmatic. In other words, it’s not the kind of role that (imo) readily lends itself to a dynamic, histrionic, Oscar bait sort of performance.

Christopher Reeve gets deserved praise for his work in STM. But in large part, this was because the role (as written) offered a showcase for his thespian range - stalwart and serious (for the stereotypical Superman lines); warm and cutesy (while rescuing kittens or flirting with Lois); comically buffoonish as Clark Kent. Reeve’s talent isn’t at issue. But it might be argued that his virtuoso efforts were not, actually, in the best service of the character. Certainly, some have complained that his CK was a bit over-the-top, that CK shouldn’t be comic relief. And in retrospect, the puppy-love scenes with Lois come across as a tad too forced and saccharine. Now if Reeve/Donner had dialed some of this back, I think they would have gotten a truer depiction of Supes/CK. But of course, Reeve probably wouldn’t have received as many accolades for a more subdued and constrained performance. So I think it comes down to what you’re rooting for: the actor (his awards, reputation and future career) or doing right by the character and story.

If Cavill ends up being wooden and bland, I won’t hesitate to say so. But I’m not expecting (nor do I want) Daniel Day-Lewis-style soliloquies or Tony Stark-esque wise-cracks. I want “Gary Cooper” as Superman. I think - hope - Cavill can handle that much.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #333
Project862006
Banned User

^it is gonna be some tough opinions on the superman character imo someone's opinion of calm and reserved could be boring for someone else

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #334
dark_b
Side-Kick

the acting has a lot to do with the script. if you find an actor who knows how to act the best with the script you won. imagine if Iron Man was not rewritten on set for RDJ? you would only had good ILM effects.

for example i dont like emo sad superheroes. since this is now the norm in hollywood i am f.. up. so when rating the acting i try to think about that.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #335
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

George Reeves' portrayal of Superman was entirely different from that of Christopher Reeve. I would even argue that Brandon Routh's Superman was not a copy of Christopher Reeve's Superman.

Routh's Superman was quiet and reserved and his Clark Kent was someone who blended into background rather than drawing attention to himself (which Chris Reeve's clumsy Clark Kent did.)

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 02-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #336
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Alyn is different from Reeves who is different from Reeve who is different from Routh who will be different from Cavill.

They're all playing the same basic character, yes. Just with their own traits, tones, mannerisms, etc. Not unlike the many actors to played Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Hamlet or James Bond.

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 02-19-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #337
STARMAN
Side-Kick

So far my biggest concern with the movie is that it may be so serious and realistic that it becomes joyless. You have the risk of watching a quality film but one that lacks fun. There is a balance. It's Snyder's biggest challenge. To make it less campy, more modern, but still keep some sense of joy and wonder. I'm optimistic. But cautious.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #338
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

So IMDB says MOS is 148 minutes long. That was not there a few days ago. Think it's legit or another one of IMDB's user jokes? Could be legit since the film got rated and is (according to IMDbPro) completed as of January 21st.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #339
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I think that would actually be a good screen time. Right around two and half hours. Enough time to tell a big story without dragging things out pass the two and a half hour mark.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #340
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
So far my biggest concern with the movie is that it may be so serious and realistic that it becomes joyless. You have the risk of watching a quality film but one that lacks fun. There is a balance. It's Snyder's biggest challenge. To make it less campy, more modern, but still keep some sense of joy and wonder. I'm optimistic. But cautious.
That's one of the main reasons why I'm glad this isn't just a Nolan film. As much as I love the TDK trilogy, I don't think that style of uber serious neccesarily suits Superman. I mean it'd be nice too see a few of the themes and what makes Superman so complex explored, but you still wanna have, like you said, that sense of fun.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #341
STARMAN
Side-Kick

It's a delicate balance. I don't want two hours of CGI eye candy. I don't want two hours of somber soul searching either.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #342
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

148 mins ?
I dig

Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #343
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Not having seen MOS yet, I shall delay my review of Cavill’s performance.

But some general thoughts… My idea of a properly realized cinematic Superman is the “Gary Cooper” type - strong and silent, calm and confident, reserved and often enigmatic. In other words, it’s not the kind of role that (imo) readily lends itself to a dynamic, histrionic, Oscar bait sort of performance.

Christopher Reeve gets deserved praise for his work in STM. But in large part, this was because the role (as written) offered a showcase for his thespian range - stalwart and serious (for the stereotypical Superman lines); warm and cutesy (while rescuing kittens or flirting with Lois); comically buffoonish as Clark Kent. Reeve’s talent isn’t at issue. But it might be argued that his virtuoso efforts were not, actually, in the best service of the character. Certainly, some have complained that his CK was a bit over-the-top, that CK shouldn’t be comic relief. And in retrospect, the puppy-love scenes with Lois come across as a tad too forced and saccharine. Now if Reeve/Donner had dialed some of this back, I think they would have gotten a truer depiction of Supes/CK. But of course, Reeve probably wouldn’t have received as many accolades for a more subdued and constrained performance. So I think it comes down to what you’re rooting for: the actor (his awards, reputation and future career) or doing right by the character and story.

If Cavill ends up being wooden and bland, I won’t hesitate to say so. But I’m not expecting (nor do I want) Daniel Day-Lewis-style soliloquies or Tony Stark-esque wise-cracks. I want “Gary Cooper” as Superman. I think - hope - Cavill can handle that much.
Excellent post sir. And a few things you mentioned of Reeve are precisely why I don't hold him on as high a pedestal as many others. He isn't my ideal vision of how Superman should be portrayed.

I'll say this, at the end of the day to me it only matters what I, as a Superman fan, think of Cavill and his performances.

For example, I am not a fan of James Bond. Haven't read any of the books, seen maybe 3 movies. But I went to see Skyfall because a few people literally dragged me. I thought Craig looked good, physically and was OK, but if I had to give an impression of him afterwards I could say that he was fine but easily replaceable. Because I can see many other actors looking good and tough while delivering a one note performance throughout that film. But most Bond fans praise him and say he's going to be very tough to follow. I don't see it but I'll trust their judgment since I know little about Bond.

Same thing with Routh. I know many people who really liked him but funny enough most of them are the GP. Among actual Superman fans those who really like him (based on my experience) are in the minority. I hated him (mostly not to his own fault) precisely because im such a big fan of the character.

So it's quite possible I'll love (or hate) Cavill more than anyone before him while a lot of the audience and critics are lukewarm to him, either because he wont be what their preconceived notion of Superman (mostly how Reeve did it) is or because the role won't be a very dynamic one either through script or Snyder's direction or both.

And honestly with oscar caliber actors such as Crowe, Shannon and Adams in the movie all with probably more dynamic roles than Cavill's it won't be surprising if he comes across as only OK in comparison. That still doesn't mean he won't be a fantastic Superman.

And I won't start to get worried until I see some tv spots/clips, new trailer and start hearing reports from a bigger (more reliable) group of people. I mean, Snyder got a great performance out Gerard Butler of all people! I find it hard to believe he couldn't direct Cavill to a great Superman.

But if he's playing CK/Supes based on Earth One, I hate it already!

Last edited by G.Godfrey; 02-19-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #344
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
So IMDB says MOS is 148 minutes long. That was not there a few days ago. Think it's legit or another one of IMDB's user jokes? Could be legit since the film got rated and is (according to IMDbPro) completed as of January 21st.
Some people who have registered over at IMDB tend to give false misleading data.

But you also have to take into account that some people are working for the Studio, who are also members of IMBD, and they can remove any false info and correct it, as Studio would not like to spread wrong info about a soon to be released big budget movie.

So, the info may not be reliable but if it stays there for some time, it could be true.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #345
STARMAN
Side-Kick

A big part of a Superman performance is screen presence. In my mind you have to appear onscrean and capture everyone's attention. Not with over the top thespian acting. But through sheer presence. I think that's what helped Chris Reeve. Even when he wasn't saying anything in a scene you were aware of his presence. Cavill doesn't need to match Shannon and Crowe. But he can't be swallowed up by them either.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #346
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

IMDB said Tommy Wiseau was starring in the new Godzilla. Sigh. I really wanted that casting.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #347
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
And I won't start to get worried until I see some tv spots/clips, new trailer and start hearing reports from a bigger (more reliable) group of people. I mean, Snyder got a great perfromance out Gerard Butler of all people! I find it hard to believe he couldn't direct Cavill to a great Superman.
I agree that Snyder can get good performance out of many actors, so that is a positive thing about MOS.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #348
sup101
Side-Kick

Why can't people who was at the screening come out and speak.They did for Pacific Rim.They don't have to spoil the movie.Just tell us did they like it, love it ect, like people did with Pacific Rim.Wb didn't mind that.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #349
robmx522
Banned User

If you look at the tallent around henry in this movie thats why his performance may be off a lil ...there are some really really good actors around him ...i wouldn't have it any other way ...i think he's gonna be perfect!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #350
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I'm not going to put all my faith in the twitter guy. But I'm not going to make any excuses for Cavill if he's not good. I rather he be great and Shannon or someone else to be underwhelming.

Closed Thread