The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #701
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's actually strange that Brandon Routh auditioned for Smallville, I bet he wouldn't have minded putting the suit on.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #702
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
It's actually strange that Brandon Routh auditioned for Smallville, I bet he wouldn't have minded putting the suit on.
I didn't know that. It's funny how the same guys circle the part.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #703
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
It's like that quote Carrie Fisher said. "I'm not famous. Princess Leia is. We just have the same face."

Routh didn't think he was better than it. Neither did Reeve. Neither does Cavill. They all got it. Superman is greater than anything you'll ever be. And for a moment, you and him will "have the same face." If that makes any sense.

Welling thought he was better than it.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #704
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

I never got the impression Welling was big headed about it?

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #705
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

Welling always seemed very unlikeable to me, like he thinks very highly of himself for no real apparent reason.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #706
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I never got the impression Welling was big headed about it?
He was though. He even refused to wear the suit didn't he ?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #707
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
He was though. He even refused to wear the suit didn't he ?
Among other things, yes.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #708
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Welling always seemed very unlikeable to me, like he thinks very highly of himself for no real apparent reason.
I hear that a lot but I'm not sure what people are talking about but that's because I wasn't into the show all that much and never read/saw interviews with him.

Are there any examples you can share?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #709
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
It's like that quote Carrie Fisher said. "I'm not famous. Princess Leia is. We just have the same face."

Routh didn't think he was better than it. Neither did Reeve. Neither does Cavill. They all got it. Superman is greater than anything you'll ever be. And for a moment, you and him will "have the same face." If that makes any sense.

Welling thought he was better than it.
Totally agree this always bugged me about Welling. It's a privilege to be offered the chance to play a part like that. That's why he should never have gotten the role, tbh I wish Routh had gotten it.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #710
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Would be interesting if Routh did Smallville and Welling did SR

Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #711
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Strange. I used to watch Smallville and follow a lot of the interviews and articles on it, and Welling actually came across as one of the nicest actors I've ever read about, period. Spoken very highly of by castmates and anyone who encountered him on or off the show, but quite private and just focused on working hard. Turned up to a lot of producer meetings and sat at the back of the room to try and learn how things happened behind the scenes, even after putting in a full day playing the lead character. There was also an article about him and his wife spending major bucks at toy shops every Xmas and taking the stuff to children in hospital but they deliberately avoid media coverage over it.

He has his reasons for not putting on the suit in the finale I'm sure, but I don't think a big head is one of them. In fact, from reading various things about the finale and the lead up to it, I'm a little inclined to think it was the exact opposite and it was very much a confidence issue with Welling. He was asked in an interview how he felt about putting the suit on and he answered "..........terrified".

Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #712
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Strange. I used to watch Smallville and follow a lot of the interviews and articles on it, and Welling actually came across as one of the nicest actors I've ever read about, period. Spoken very highly of by castmates and anyone who encountered him on or off the show, but quite private and just focused on working hard. Turned up to a lot of producer meetings and sat at the back of the room to try and learn how things happened behind the scenes, even after putting in a full day playing the lead character. There was also an article about him and his wife spending major bucks at toy shops every Xmas and taking the stuff to children in hospital but they deliberately avoid media coverage over it.

He has his reasons for not putting on the suit in the finale I'm sure, but I don't think a big head is one of them. In fact, from reading various things about the finale and the lead up to it, I'm a little inclined to think it was the exact opposite and it was very much a confidence issue with Welling. He was asked in an interview how he felt about putting the suit on and he answered "..........terrified".
And now, I'll always view him differently.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #713
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

Yeah, that's how I always thought he was until hearing people talk about him here. Wasn't he the one that kept it going? Didn't want to give the fans that final 10th season? I could be way off, again because I didn't follow it much, but I thought I read that on the SHH page back when season 10 was announced.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #714
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Yeah, he always seemed a nice guy to me.

He said he didn't want to be famous for the sake of being famous as well.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #715
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Yeah, that's how I always thought he was until hearing people talk about him here. Wasn't he the one that kept it going? Didn't want to give the fans that final 10th season? I could be way off, again because I didn't follow it much, but I thought I read that on the SHH page back when season 10 was announced.
It's no surprise. Fans ripped that show apart...viewers dropped.

Smallville for what it was, was a good show to me.
I never read into it as a true Superman show, even the first season's gist was enough for me to think of it something else.

10 years, and I loved every season, BECAUSE I wasn't expecting or wanting Superman to appear onscreen. BECAUSE I wasn't a purist, and I was open minded about it's own story.

Not everybody's cup of tea I know, but it was mine

I believe in Batfleck

Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #716
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:

Yeah, from what I've heard and read the reason he didn't want to wear the suit is because he was afraid of it...as in he'd never be able to fulfill the expectations people would have and that he couldn't live up to the legend of those who came before him...or something along those lines. I've never heard that he thought he was better than it....not once. I didn't like him in the role but I never heard him speak ill of it. He always came across as being scared of the suit....instead of embracing the chance to play Superman, a beloved character, like most other actors would...he backed away from it and that's why I thought he was wrong for the role

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #717
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

I never read into it as a true Superman show, even the first season's gist was enough for me to think of it something else.

10 years, and I loved every season, BECAUSE I wasn't expecting or wanting Superman to appear onscreen. BECAUSE I wasn't a purist, and I was open minded about it's own story.

Exactly.

I really enjoyed the last two seasons and have been meaning to go back and watch the middle ones. I wish had never bailed on it after season 1 quite honestly

Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #718
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hi.
Hu?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #719
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I thought that the reason Welling Didnt wear the Suit had something to do with WB/DC Licensing issues .

Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #720
Mike22
Side-Kick

I very strongly disliked what Welling did and how the finale ended with no suit and CGI Superman, and I even aknowledge that he refused to wear it, but having a big head was NEVER one of the reasons, not by a frikking long shot. Welling was and still is one of the nicest actors that I've heard of, and one could never read an interview of anyone, be it cast members of guest stars without them praising him as much as they could. Never once did I hear a single bad thing being said about him or anything resembling it actually, and this is from someone that DID read the interviews and followed up on most things Smallville right up to the end.
The issue with Welling and the suit dates back right to the beginning and his thoughts on typecasting, and genuinely having a fear of wearing it. I could never understand why because typecasting these days isn't what it once was, and physically he was the naturally biggest one of all the actors so far, some well spent time in the gym and he would have dwarfed the rest of them. But somehow fear overtook him and as he stated himself, he was terrified of wearing it, to much responsibility he felt.

I understand that some here never liked him but arrogance was never a part of the reason for refusing to wear the suit, he had his reasons and felt better off not wearing it. Sucks from a fans perspective, but made sense for him, I guess.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #721
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I thought that the reason Welling Didnt wear the Suit had something to do with WB/DC Licensing issues .
Nope...from what I heard they gave the show their blessings to use the suit, but Welling was scared ****less of it so he said nope. They even made several different prototypes, which is why I'm guessing the look of the suit changed several times during the series finale

Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #722
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
I very strongly disliked what Welling did and how the finale ended with no suit and CGI Superman, and I even aknowledge that he refused to wear it, but having a big head was NEVER one of the reasons, not by a frikking long shot. Welling was and still is one of the nicest actors that I've heard of, and one could never read an interview of anyone, be it cast members of guest stars without them praising him as much as they could. Never once did I hear a single bad thing being said about him or anything resembling it actually, and this is from someone that DID read the interviews and followed up on most things Smallville right up to the end.
The issue with Welling and the suit dates back right to the beginning and his thoughts on typecasting, and genuinely having a fear of wearing it. I could never understand why because typecasting these days isn't what it once was, and physically he was the naturally biggest one of all the actors so far, some well spent time in the gym and he would have dwarfed the rest of them. But somehow fear overtook him and as he stated himself, he was terrified of wearing it, to much responsibility he felt.

I understand that some here never liked him but arrogance was never a part of the reason for refusing to wear the suit, he had his reasons and felt better off not wearing it. Sucks from a fans perspective, but made sense for him, I guess.

exactly...I NEVER heard of him having a big head. Those who say that he did are just making **** up because they either don't like him or didn't like the show. I don't like the show, nor his performance in it....but I'm not going to make up crap for excuses as to why he didn't wear the suit....he was just scared of it....that's all

Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #723
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Nope...from what I heard they gave the show their blessings to use the suit, but Welling was scared ****less of it so he said nope. They even made several different prototypes, which is why I'm guessing the look of the suit changed several times during the series finale
What was he so afraid of? The suit would eat him? Melt his skin?

The only thing to be worried about is 'looking silly'... and he's never looked sillier to me than in that finale, wimping out of wearing the suit.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #724
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

Well while were on the topic of Welling I think Cavill's perfomance will take anything Tom did with the character and blow it out of the water.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #725
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The same face and the same coke nail.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Closed Thread