The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #126
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If Cavill is the weak link then I can't see this being a great film. You need a great Superman perfomance.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #127
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Yikes, I do not want him to be another Bale, where the films are praised but the central performance is not.
Bale was praised in the Dark Knight Trilogy?

Making fun of the "Batman voice" became a thing with the second film. But he got high marks for his performance in all three.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #128
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
No... but we've had information confirming everything on that list. Interviews, footage, pictures etc...
I am not saying the items on the list were not shot ,
I am saying we dont know that they survived the final cut .
I hate to bring up SR again,
But we know they shot Clarks Journey to Krypton,
it didnt make it into the film.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #129
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Cavill's better than Routh anyway, so I'm not bothered...much.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #130
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Are People ok with the lead character/actor not being up to par/only "decent" as long as the rest of its great?

Especially since Supes as a character already has a bad rep?

Zod and Jor El wont be in the next film (most likely). If anyone needed to have a performance that everyone talks about, its Cavill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #131
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Cavill's better than Routh anyway, so I'm not bothered...much.
Is he, is he really? Or is this some form of cosmic joke where we will never have a new Superman who can actually give us a grand standing, blow grannie panties off performance?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #132
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

The comment that got me was " according to one person Cavill was fine, but easily replaceable."

OH. That fills me with the most excitement ever.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #133
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

And, like clockwork, some sort of "negative advance comments" leak onto the Internet a a handful of months in advance from a source that doesn't have the greatest track record, and suddenly everybody flips out. This is why posters like RealIronMan left the Hype!, you know.

As a veteran member of this great message board, let me offer one word of advice: chill. Don't write anything off. Don't cry. Don't start contradicting comments you made two months ago based on "early word." Just wait it out and see what happens.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #134
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

I'll form my own opinion

Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #135
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

The Superman curse remains intact then?

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #136
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I knew they should have brought Routh back! LoL

Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #137
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
And, like clockwork, some sort of "negative advance comments" leak onto the Internet a a handful of months in advance from a source that doesn't have the greatest track record, and suddenly everybody flips out. This is why posters like RealIronMan left the Hype!, you know.

As a veteran member of this great message board, let me offer one word of advice: chill. Don't write anything off. Don't cry. Don't start contradicting comments you made two months ago based on "early word." Just wait it out and see what happens.
Exactly. Watch the film, then decide

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #138
Torrente
Side-Kick

I think Cavill will be a great superman but something tells me Shannon's performance will be just amazing and it will overshadow Cavill's...

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #139
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I love how people say "Don't flip out" when no one is actually flipping out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #140
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Rationality is SO OVERRATED, just like sanity, which is why I joined the hype.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #141
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Honestly I think it's to be expected that Cavill is not going to shine with amazing acting talent in this film... because he's never really shown himself to be an amazing actor. He's given some good (not great) performances as well as some seriously bad ones IMO.

He wasn't chosen for this role because of oscar nominations. He was chosen because has a good natural 'Superman' energy about him, can wear the suit without it being awkward or 'silly', he is a very committed person when it comes to training (both in building his body up and learning fight sequences), and he has a pretty much spot on look for the role.

And that was a big ask to find a guy with all those qualities. None of us could come up with anyone better in the casting discussions going on back in the day, and the other two guys rumoured to have been up for the role, I very much doubt would be better for the job (Manganiello and Goode).

Not to mention the fact that he is surrounded by a cast that are pretty much ALL well known and recognised brilliant and experianced actors. He's bound to have a more raw energy to his performance compared to them, and I guess to some people that can come off as inexperienced or a bit stilted.

It could go either way for me. I enjoyed his performance in Immortals. It's not 'great' acting, i'll admit that, but there's just something mesmerizing about him and the way he performs. Reminds me of Andrew Garfield actually - some people love the kind of performance he gives and call it talent, others think it's awkward and painful to watch.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #142
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Watch peoples box office predictions change after reading that post lol

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #143
Torrente
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Honestly I think it's to be expected that Cavill is not going to shine with amazing acting talent in this film... because he's never really shown himself to be an amazing actor. He's given some good (not great) performances as well as some seriously bad ones IMO.

He wasn't chosen for this role because of oscar nominations. He was chosen because has a good natural 'Superman' energy about him, can wear the suit without it being awkward or 'silly', he is a very committed person when it comes to training (both in building his body up and learning fight sequences), and he has a pretty much spot on look for the role.

And that was a big ask to find a guy with all those qualities. None of us could come up with anyone better in the casting discussions going on back in the day, and the other two guys rumoured to have been up for the role, I very much doubt would be better for the job (Maganiello and Goode).

Not to mention the fact that he is surrounded by a cast that are pretty much ALL well known and recognised brilliant and experianced actors. He's bound to have a more raw energy to his performance compared to them, and I guess to some people that can come off as inexperienced or a bit stilted.

It could go either way for me. I enjoyed his performance in Immortals. It's not 'great' acting, i'll admit that, but there's just something mesmerizing about him and the way he performs. Reminds me of Andrew Garfield actually - some people love the kind of performance he gives and call it talent, others think it's awkward and painful to watch.

Awesome post!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #144
STARMAN
Side-Kick

The first Superman movie had Brando and Hackman but the film still belonged to Chris Reeve. It's one thing to have someone steal scenes it's another thing if his performance is lacking. Tonight I'll overeact to these twitter comments. Tomorrow I'll regain my composure.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #145
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
Watch peoples box office predictions change after reading that post lol
I think MOS still has better actors than Avengers.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #146
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
For all we know, Cavill could be on the same level as Routh, just in a (hopefully) more successful film.

Well he (Cavill) looks more like Superman by default and also in the role thanks to better visual presentation (costume, physical shape etc.) he's also shown far more charisma and presence and certainly more acting talent (mostly in The Tudors). But of course, all this isn't saying much compared to Routh, however, to me, it can only be better as it is.

I've said it before that based on everything Cavill has shown in previous roles he has all that it takes to be a great Superman but I've expressed worries on the direction the film/script has taken Superman in and how Snyder directs Cavill and that Cavill's strengths aren't going to be properly utilized and that may have happened.

HOWEVER!! Some here seem to take these tweets as de facto. I believe nothing (from a guy who I don't know and who may be Routh fan/Cavill hater or whatever in between - or his sources are) until I see the first reviews come in. Until then I wont worry about Cavill too much, because I really have no reason to.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #147
Wheels
The Guy

Well I've been prepared for the worst for quite some time. I made a post about Man of Steel possibly underperforming and the Superman boards turning into a place where people argue about two failed projects.

So hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #148
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I think Cavill wll be good in the role but I will always curious about how Joe Mangianello might have done .

Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #149
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Why are people believing these tweets?

Also, IMO Routh's acting in Returns is waaay underrated. But what do I know... I'm just a SR basher.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #150
tomoe
Side-Kick

I doubt he's "easily replaceable". Not many people look as much like superman as he does. I might be in the minority here but I'd rather have an actor who looks the part and does a decent and serviceable job than one who does not look the part but is the best actor in the world. Ive never been that critical or picky about acting though. As long as they're not horrible I don't really notice the acting much in movies.

Closed Thread