The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #151
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I am not saying the items on the list were not shot ,
I am saying we dont know that they survived the final cut .
I hate to bring up SR again,
But we know they shot Clarks Journey to Krypton,
it didnt make it into the film.
Ah right, see what you mean now Yeah that's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Well I've been prepared for the worst for quite some time. I made a post about Man of Steel possibly underperforming and the Superman boards turning into a place where people argue about two failed projects.

So hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst.
Honestly, if I enjoy the film but this place is really divided and there is a lot of negative opinion... i'm just not gonna come to the boards anymore.

It'd be impossible to not feel defensive, and I really just wanna be able to love the film for myself... it doesn't have to suit everyone, I just want it to suit me (And in fairness, i'll let a lot of faults slide and still be happy)

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #152
G.Godfrey
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
The comment that got me was " according to one person Cavill was fine, but easily replaceable."
Of course, plenty of better actors out there. But this is a role where the look counts just as much so good luck finding anyone who can beat this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #153
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

That's awesome

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #154
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Really? I'd trade looking the part and serviceable acting for similar looking and great performance any day.

Spill

Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #155
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
The first Superman movie had Brando and Hackman but the film still belonged to Chris Reeve. It's one thing to have someone steal scenes it's another thing if his performance is lacking. Tonight I'll overeact to these twitter comments. Tomorrow I'll regain my composure.
The bolded just reminds me how lucky we were that Chris Reeve played Superman.

He managed to look the part AND have a great performance...which for some seems impossible nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Really? I'd trade looking the part and serviceable acting for similar looking and great performance any day.
QFT

There are too many great actors putting in great superhero performances nowadays to just settle. Especially when it comes to a character like Superman.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #156
STARMAN
Side-Kick

This is just the beginning. There will be so many of these leaked reactions over the next few months we're going to go insane.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #157
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Reeves had the right approach for the part, at least for that time.
Superman as Friend .
Cavill in MOS loooks like Superman as Friend and BADASS!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #158
G.Godfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
As I said, Cavill easily has enough acting talent and natural on screen presence/charisma/charm to be a great Superman (in fact I think he was born for this role because I don't think there's any other role he could ever be great at. All his good/best qualities are literally what an actor playing Supes needs) But there's no telling if the script and the director takes an advantage of that. Routh could have been a much better Superman in my eyes than he was (not great, but a good one anyway) but a lot of it was not his fault.

And again, we may look back on this in 4 months and laugh at the false reports and the overreaction to it...I hope so anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #159
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
QFT

There are too many great actors putting in great superhero performances nowadays to just settle. Especially when it comes to a character like Superman.
In an ideal world yes. But I think that's harder for Superman because he is so particularly difficult to cast.

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #160
STARMAN
Side-Kick

You notice the twitter response didn't mention Amy Adams' performance.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #161
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
You notice the twitter response didn't mention Amy Adams' performance.
Someone should've asked.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #162
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

What I fear more than this movie not being good is that people are going to blame it on Superman being dated and irrelevant rather than it simply being a bad movie. Two bad movies in a row? It must be that Superman sucks. What else could it be?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #163
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Cavill is a competent actor. I think he's better than Chris Hemsworth and people are fine with him.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #164
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I might be in the minority here but I'd rather have an actor who looks the part and does a decent and serviceable job than one who does not look the part but is the best actor in the world.
Is it too much to ask for both?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #165
Torrente
Side-Kick

Holy s*** G.Godfrey, that was awesome, did you do that yourself?
It's pretty amazing how this guy looks so right for the part and let's give him a break, if he doesn't come across as amazing in the movie lets cut him some slack and hope that for the sequel (fingers crossed) he'll have much more "court" and gets an even better impression at it, come on, can't be easy portray IN A REBOOT the most enigmatic of superheroes IMHO....

Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #166
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
What I fear more than this movie not being good is that people are going to blame it on Superman being dated and irrelevant rather than it simply being a bad movie. Two bad movies in a row? It must be that Superman sucks. What else could it be?
Its looking like the movie itself is good. I think some of us are just wondering if the lead is going to be amazing or just passable.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #167
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Nicolas Cage was nearly Superman...

Seriously guys... perspective

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #168
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Is it too much to ask for both?

For some Superman fans...apparently yes.

I mean, they got a good actor to play Captain America...a guy just as square jawed and overly idealistic as Superman....hell, they didnt even try to make him more "Serious", and they still pulled it off.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #169
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Someone should've asked.
i DID

Quote:
@ConnorFilm Bummer about Cavill, but hey, I still have hope. Any reactions on Amy as LL ?
@Poni_Boy@ConnorFilm Nope I try not to ask too many questions when people share their initial thoughts on a screening. It convolutes their gut reactions.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #170
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Nope I try not to ask too many questions when people share their initial thoughts on a screening. It convolutes their gut reactions.
Meh.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #171
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
And again, we may look back on this in 4 months and laugh at the false reports and the overreaction to it...I hope so anyway.
Yeah, it could be they were just looking for something to criticize. I don't even know what "fine but replaceable" means. Were they expecting him to do what Heath Ledger did for Joker? Superman isn't that dramatic a character anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #172
G.Godfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Nicolas Cage was nearly Superman...

Seriously guys... perspective
Cage is a great actor. So I guess a lot of people here would be ok with him as Supes.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #173
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Cavill is a competent actor. I think he's better than Chris Hemsworth and people are fine with him.
But does he embody Superman as well as Chris embodies Thor? We will see.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #174
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
i DID
That sounded like a lame excuse for not asking about one of the more mysterious roles in the film.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #175
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Good job of Conner for asking. But if they didn't mention her than I'm thinking she didn't wow them like how supposely Shannon and Crowe did.

That's if this is all accurate.

Closed Thread