Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #276
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcGTz...t=HL1362280594

This video featuring Halle Berry as Storm will make all of you smile.

"Crack the heavens!"

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #277
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcGTz...t=HL1362280594

This video featuring Halle Berry as Storm will make all of you smile.

"Crack the heavens!"
I loved this, even though I think those speeches have become a bit dated since TAS. lol

Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #278
cheungcheung
Side-Kick

Agreed that the Mohawk would look silly in a film

Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #279
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
Well, I think It all could depend on how they introduce the present(or future). If it takes place many years after "The Last Stand", then they could bring her on screen with the mohawk(of something similar) already in tact, with an altered personality/appearance. Which could have been something that happened gradually between the events of the third film and this one(TAS didn't necessarily go into why she had one either).

She was leading the school the last we left off. Such a burden, including all of the untold challenges they had to face along with the Sentinels would explain the change perfectly. She had to become tougher, more cold and distant, and usually her appearance reflects that with the Mohawk.
Comic book artwork and animation artwork is one thing, a live-action movie is another.

I don't think it would look right on Halle, it would seem too random and I really can't imagine a school headmistress having a mohawk done. How many school leaders do you know with mohawks and punk leather outfits? lol

Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #280
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Comic book artwork and animation artwork is one thing, a live-action movie is another.

I don't think it would look right on Halle, it would seem too random and I really can't imagine a school headmistress having a mohawk done. How many school leaders do you know with mohawks and punk leather outfits? lol
How many school leaders do you know that can control the weather? That's the point this is fiction. Besides the chances are the school will be destroyed and the X-Men will be fugitives not a headmistress.

I agree with The Weather God, if executed properly it could really work, and if there's any black actress that could pull of a mohawk it's Halle Berry.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #281
Project862006
Banned User

mohawk seems to fit more of a younger storm than a mature storm

Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #282
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
This "Marvel now" movement that is Marvel Comics is doing right now is ridiculous!
Ridiculously awesome. The talent behind a lot of new books hasn't been this fresh and high quality in years.

I don't see the Mohawk being a big deal. She can still be the same character with a Mohawk. Or it can reflect an edgier future, but it doesn't have to. She's already had 3 different hair styles in the trilogy, what's wrong with another?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #283
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
mohawk seems to fit more of a younger storm than a mature storm
I'd be fine with it there in the past. Considering that Bryan & Co. featured a younger Storm in First Class, I have a strong feeling that he will actually cast an actress for the younger version in this film. If he does, it'd be very appropriate for Young Storm to rock a Mohawk since the style does denote rebellion, edginess and youth. Doing this would actually create a bit of an arc for Storm, showing her maturity into adulthood. I'm sure all of us can look back at school photos of ourselves wearing hairstyles and clothes that were trendy at the time but we wouldn't be caught dead in today.

But it's not appropriate for Storm Prime in my opinion.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #284
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
How many school leaders do you know that can control the weather? That's the point this is fiction. Besides the chances are the school will be destroyed and the X-Men will be fugitives not a headmistress.

I agree with The Weather God, if executed properly it could really work, and if there's any black actress that could pull of a mohawk it's Halle Berry.
Controlling the weather isn't something that's obvious by a person's appearance, even with white hair.

I really don't think that look would suit Halle. I want to see classic long-haired Storm done right first.

You need quite an extreme look to carry off a mohawk - like Grace Jones.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #285
Lightning Strykez!

One of the things that excites me about Bryan's return are these little nuances about Storm that always amused me in his first two films: whenever she would begin manipulating the weather, she would kinda roll her head around, turning it from side to side gently as if somehow she was communicating telepathically with the elements. Like when she's in the jet in X2, she turns her head in a couple of different directions as the tornadoes begin to form, as if she's instructing them.

Or maybe she's just checking out mentally during that phase the way Dark Phoenix does when she's at the height of her power displays.

The other two nuances that I appreciated Bryan bringing to Storm was that she would outstretch her arms, almost like she was a human weather vane. And finally, whenever she was conducting lightning, you could see bolts of it coursing through her hair, whether it was shoulder-length (in X2) or longer (in X1).

A lot of the above was lost in Brett Ratner's translation of the character in X3 (I feel he actually moved Storm forward even further in terms of power displays). If Bryan could somehow pick up with where Storm's skills were in X3 and combined them with his own touches from X1 and X2, my life would be made.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #286
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

One, and that's Storm currently in the comic books. She's the headmistress of the Jean Grey School and she has a mohawk. Why does it have to be a common thing for Storm to do it? She's anything but common.

And she doesn't have to have a standard mohawk, it can be stylized or without balding all the way on the sides. I never said she had to go full punk, and a mohawk is anything but just a punk style these days.

Some examples:

I think it would actually be the perfect time to give her a mohawk style, considering it's trending right now.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #287
Lightning Strykez!

Photo 1 is not too far from what Halle Berry is sporting in real life right now.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #288
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Photo 1 is not too far from what Halle Berry is sporting in real life right now.
Interesting, I hadn't known Halle was sporting a mohawk. lol

Found a cool one by the singer Cassie. I think these styles would be cool for Halle to sport as Storm.

Last edited by The Weather God; 03-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #289
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
One of the things that excites me about Bryan's return are these little nuances about Storm that always amused me in his first two films: whenever she would begin manipulating the weather, she would kinda roll her head around, turning it from side to side gently as if somehow she was communicating telepathically with the elements. Like when she's in the jet in X2, she turns her head in a couple of different directions as the tornadoes begin to form, as if she's instructing them.

Or maybe she's just checking out mentally during that phase the way Dark Phoenix does when she's at the height of her power displays.

The other two nuances that I appreciated Bryan bringing to Storm was that she would outstretch her arms, almost like she was a human weather vane. And finally, whenever she was conducting lightning, you could see bolts of it coursing through her hair, whether it was shoulder-length (in X2) or longer (in X1).

A lot of the above was lost in Brett Ratner's translation of the character in X3 (I feel he actually moved Storm forward even further in terms of power displays). If Bryan could somehow pick up with where Storm's skills were in X3 and combined them with his own touches from X1 and X2, my life would be made.
I loved those small things too. I thought they were things Halle brought to the character but now that I think about it she didn't do any of those things in third movie so it must have been Bryan that told her to do that stuff. Either that or Halle felt that those were no longer needed with the new direction that Storm had.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #290
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
Interesting, I hadn't known Halle was sporting a mohawk. lol

Found a cool one by the singer Cassie. I think these styles would be cool for Halle to sport as Storm.

I like the lightning earrings in the first two pics

Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #291
Double B
Side-Kick

I agree with Lightning Strykez!. Have young Storm (should she appear) sport a mohawk if you want, but any of those more outlandish, stylized mohawk hairstyles (or God forbid, the extreme one that comic Storm ported) wouldn't suit Halle.

I want the long, flowing, wild hair.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #292
josh8
Side-Kick

I used to say mohawk Storm would be cool if it was in a dystopian future, but I always meant some kind of stylized version. The Cassie pics are a good example because I still want a regal looking Storm with longer hair.

But this kind of look would only work if the whole team were sporting some crazy styling. Often times in the comic book alternate reality stories, the artists will create interesting designs for characters because the future is a harsh reality or the characters become rebels/revolutionaries. Like in AOA, everyone had facial tattoos and funkier haircuts. It's pretty common in movies too, like Blade Runner and The Matrix movies.

I could see the future scenes being a little like this. Unless they're just all prisoners.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #293
The Weather God
Returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I used to say mohawk Storm would be cool if it was in a dystopian future, but I always meant some kind of stylized version. The Cassie pics are a good example because I still want a regal looking Storm with longer hair.

But this kind of look would only work if the whole team were sporting some crazy styling. Often times in the comic book alternate reality stories, the artists will create interesting designs for characters because the future is a harsh reality or the characters become rebels/revolutionaries. Like in AOA, everyone had facial tattoos and funkier haircuts. It's pretty common in movies too, like Blade Runner and The Matrix movies.

I could see the future scenes being a little like this. Unless they're just all prisoners.
^This. As I said before, I think it would all depend on how Bryan will be presenting the present(or Future). If Storm is going to be a prisoner, much like the original comic, then it wouldn't make sense for her to have a mohawk or the edgier personality. I think she would be more serene and hopeful than anything else. But if they are going for a more extreme future, where they have all become rebels, then a mohawk or some sort of drastic appearance alteration may be more appropriate for Storm if she were to be a leader.

Quote:
I'd be fine with it there in the past. Considering that Bryan & Co. featured a younger Storm in First Class, I have a strong feeling that he will actually cast an actress for the younger version in this film. If he does, it'd be very appropriate for Young Storm to rock a Mohawk since the style does denote rebellion, edginess and youth. Doing this would actually create a bit of an arc for Storm, showing her maturity into adulthood. I'm sure all of us can look back at school photos of ourselves wearing hairstyles and clothes that were trendy at the time but we wouldn't be caught dead in today.

But it's not appropriate for Storm Prime in my opinion.
Great ideas, Lightning Strykez. I think it could work well to reflect how much she's come if they incorporate a young Storm as well. Either way, I'm fine if she doesn't have the mohawk. I think it would be an interesting change, either for her past or present self though. I can see why people are leery of it though. It's not a style that can be easily pulled off and it has to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I like the lightning earrings in the first two pics
They were a good nod to Storm(I think her style was inspired to some capacity by her).

Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #294
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Ridiculously awesome. The talent behind a lot of new books hasn't been this fresh and high quality in years.
Agreed

Ive been pretty impressed with just about everything Marvel Now. I actually wish some of them werent that good cause Im goen broke just from all the X Books alone haha.

Last edited by def28; 03-03-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #295
Electrix
Side-Kick

New interview with Halle confirming in person. Nothing much at all, but it's good to see.

Skip to 4:15

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Halle will be having lots of interviews between now and March 15th so there'll be more of this I'm sure.

Last edited by Electrix; 03-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #296
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
New interview with Halle confirming in person. Nothing much at all, but it's good to see.

Skip to 4:15

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #297
Double B
Side-Kick

She didn't even play coy.

Brilliant.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #298
JP
Smelly

I guess she wasn't pistol whipped into secrecy like Paquin, Ashmore, and McKellen were?

Or maybe she just ain't got time for that.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #299
Double B
Side-Kick

Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #300
ManX07
Side-Kick

I am excited that it actually came from Halle personally!!!!

Closed Thread