The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #451
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - Part 12

Watching the video right now. It addresses some of the stuff I wrote in my previous post. The plot from both movies being the same is perfect, great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #452
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

I won't deny or argue GB2 retreads a lot of the first one because it does, but I think it's a more of the same sequel in a good way. It hits the same notes as the original but it still brings enough new things to the table that it doesn't feel like a complete rehash. I always liked the mood slime storyline and thought it was a creative concept.

One thing about GB2 I always liked and felt was sort of another underrated aspect about it is that the ghosts in it tied more into reality. Whereas the ghosts in the first movie were more like typical monsters and demon types, in the second movie they were more rooted in reality with the Scoleri Brothers, Vigo, the Titanic, etc. I always thought that was kinda cool.

...I am now authorized to use physical force!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #453
DyeLorean

Hey, that was a great video. It hits every right spot and it gives you a clearer view of the franchise overall. The guy couldn't have said it better.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #454
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

Don't get me wrong, it was a good video and he made a lot of good points. I was just saying despite retreading the first one, GB2 still brought enough new things to the saga.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #455
batfreakforever
A real fan

A good day to Die Hard was great. Come on, what the hell do people want in an action film. Its not the film-makers that have lost touch its the movie going public. To start off a review with ''oh it's not like the original...'' that mean you dont get it. Ah its part 5 ****head ofcourse its not like the original. If you want it to be similar to the original, just what the original. The concepts are what situation can we put this man in, killing bad guys. Men these days are just wimps. They certainly don't make like they used too.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #456
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
A good day to Die Hard was great. Come on, what the hell do people want in an action film. Its not the film-makers that have lost touch its the movie going public. To start off a review with ''oh it's not like the original...'' that mean you dont get it. Ah its part 5 ****head ofcourse its not like the original. If you want it to be similar to the original, just what the original. The concepts are what situation can we put this man in, killing bad guys. Men these days are just wimps. They certainly don't make like they used too.
While I don't necessarily agree with your angle, I too enjoyed the hell out of A Good Day to Die Hard.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #457
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

I didn't really like the fifth Die Hard, but I do disagree with what is generally the major criticism of the film; that it's not like the original and McClane and needs to be trapped in a small location again. When people say that I feel like they misunderstand what's so good about Die Hard in the first place, just as much as the recent films. What makes the original Die Hard so good is not the situation but McClane's reaction to the situation. He's an average joe being plopped down into a an average action movie plot. While many people would disagree with me, I think Die Hard 2 is really weak because the filmmakers think that simply putting McClane into another enclosed space was the key to success but it came off rote, almost like they were remaking the first film. I think the third film is really the only successful sequel because it actually transplants the McClane character (someone the fourth and fifth hardly featured) into a new situation and shows how he'd react.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #458
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Also, another unpopular opinion concerning Die Hard; while I don't think either the fourth or fifth film were very successful overall, I feel that the most recent movie attempted to portray McClane's characteristics moreso than the fourth.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #459
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I don't even like the first Die Hard all that much. As you said, its just about an ordinary guy being thrown into a standard action plot. I don't really see the quality in that outside of the quality of John McClane himself.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #460
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
Speaking about Ghostbusters 2, I think it actually is a good sequel. Considering how big the first one was, they had to put a lot of effort to attempt another one, and I think they did a good job. However, I think there's little of them actually busting ghosts in their GB uniform, is mostly them in their regular clothes, and I miss the feeling from the 1st one when the Ecto 1 finally goes to their first job. The scene in the court house should've been bigger and more important (poor Winston, he's still left out), but there's little impact.
Besides, it doesn't make sense that people don't want them anymore, or there's still doubt about ghost existing, after the events in the previous movie. But well, I can let that go.

You make a good point about the courtroom scene, although I think the scene as it is is still very good and easily one of the highlights of the movie. I was never bothered too much about the whole thing with the city getting on their case after the first movie because to me it just showed that their efforts were unappreciated even after what occured. Although I'll admit the whole "no ghosts" thing is a bit harder to swallow, but in a way it works when you think that there's some people out there so skeptical they'll think of anything to deny it even when shown evidence.

I don't have too many issues with GB2 really, other than Winston could've been used a little more earlier on and the climax could've been a little better. I always felt Vigo was underused and we never got to see the full extent and degree of his powers, and he's defeated far too quickly. Other than that, I think it's just as good as the original and easily among my favorite sequels. It's good seeing others here on SHH like the film, too.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #461
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I don't even like the first Die Hard all that much. As you said, its just about an ordinary guy being thrown into a standard action plot. I don't really see the quality in that outside of the quality of John McClane himself.
I'm not nearly as enamored with it as critics seem to be these days, but I do at least appreciate its willingness to stand apart from the brawny, superhuman action films of the 80's. Saying that, I do think that (at the time) unique aspect is overblown in people's praise of the film, and its ascent to "classic" status is sort of ridiculous. Die Hard is extremely entertaining, and well-made, but not extraordinary. When you see something like A Good Day or Live Free, you gain more respect for doing that concept well, but not sucking is not exactly equal to classic either.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #462
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

A considerable percentage of the problems I had with A Good Day to Die Hard are with the screenplay. In addition to the incoherence of the narrative, I found [screenwriter]Skip Woods' obsession/exploitation of famous nuclear meltdowns to be quite irritating (it was bad enough having to sit through the Three Mile Island sequence in ...Origins: Wolverine.) If that was bad enough, the shaky-cam and lack of performance from Willis (he did not even try to act, but just smirked and recited the lines) made A Good Day... one of the worst films I have seen.

In fact, I almost wish the studio would give me a refund for enduring a ninety minute onslaught of deep-fried excrement.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #463
DX
YES! YES! YES!

I love the Ewoks.

Is that unpopular? I've heard a few say that they hate them, but I dunno.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/spiderman3 - SIGN IT.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #464
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhedd11 View Post
I'm not nearly as enamored with it as critics seem to be these days, but I do at least appreciate its willingness to stand apart from the brawny, superhuman action films of the 80's. Saying that, I do think that (at the time) unique aspect is overblown in people's praise of the film, and its ascent to "classic" status is sort of ridiculous. Die Hard is extremely entertaining, and well-made, but not extraordinary. When you see something like A Good Day or Live Free, you gain more respect for doing that concept well, but not sucking is not exactly equal to classic either.
Yep, exactly.

Plus I think, while at the time of its release it might have been something special, now that we have movies like The Raid and Dredd, it looses a lot of its, well, necessity.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #465
Drizzle
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX View Post
I love the Ewoks.

Is that unpopular? I've heard a few say that they hate them, but I dunno.
I feel like Jar Jar took the heat off the Ewoks once The Phantom Menace came out. I never understood the hatred for the Ewoks. I never had a problem with them. But I have to admit, besides the speeder bike chase, the stuff that happens on Endor is the least interesting part of Return of the Jedi.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #466
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

I never had a problem with the Ewoks, either.

I forgot to mention about GB2 earlier, but another thing about the film I always liked were the new gear the Ghostbusters used in it. There's no beating the Proton Packs, but I always liked the Slime Blowers a lot and it was cool how the video game implemented them as an attachment for the packs. I was always surprised a Super Soaker designed like the Slime Blowers was never made at the time. Though I suppose you could say they came close when they made the infamous Oozinator a few years back.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #467
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I did not mind the Ewoks.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #468
DyeLorean

I think Mr Bean's Holiday is not only a back-to-basics for the character of the series (after the not so bad, but not so great 'Bean' movie), but also a perfectly constructed movie overall. The little cameos from the secondary characters through the movie and how everything fits together rewards the viewer who pays attention.
Some jokes are great, but others, sadly, don't match the hilarious stuff from the late 80's, early 90's series. Still, it was the perfect way for Atkinson to say goodbye to the character.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #469
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Joseph Cotton was one of Hollywood's great classic actors.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #470
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I did not mind the Ewoks.
I really wish they were Wookies like they were originally supposed to be. I don't dislike them or the ending to Jedi but I doubt anyone would prefer Ewoks to Wookies.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #471
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Joseph Cotton was one of Hollywood's great classic actors.
No argument here.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #472
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

I loved Mr. Bean's Holiday. The opening scene of the Willem Defoe movie is brilliant comedy.

Free Original Music
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #473
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Joseph Cotten is one of the few men who can pull off comic book accurate Norman Osborn hair.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #474
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

True. Also Jerry Lee Lewis.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #475
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

I'm sorry guys but...

Loki sucks.