Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #951
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
"No! But I know how you got these!"
That's still the most exciting part of the movie for me.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #952
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

I respect and admire the effort JJ Abrams and partners (Damon Lindelof, mainly) put into the secrecy of his productions and doesn't let spoilers get online (or anywhere, actually).

Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #953
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I hope if they do another Zorro sequel, Alejandro trains his prodigy there
They abandoned that plot thread when the set up in the last Zorro movie with Alejandro's kid failed.
I think they even realized it before completion, as the scenes where the kid (Joaquin) is grown up and taking up the mask himself, are completely cut out of the movie.

The next Zorro movies in production are a Year one, going back to Diego De La Vega and his origin (which hasn't been told on film yet)
And apparently a post apocalyptic future legacy Zorro - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=368369&page=4

Last edited by Mondragon; 06-07-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #954
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
I want Danny Trejo to play a weathered, beaten down Zorro in Zorro Returns.
Why would Trejo play a beaten down Zorro, when he can instead beat down Zorro.
He can actually play the badass Machete in a Zorro movie, and give Zorro the beat down of his life.

He's even already got an action figure.

Just needs to shave, but keep the stash...

Yeah Machete was killing it well before the Rodriguez flics

Last edited by Mondragon; 06-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #955
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Battle Royale is an awful movie.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #956
Ipodman
Love Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
Well most Japanese (and Korean) movies of the kind are just ultra-violent exploitation films... which I don't like

Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #957
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

A lot of those movies are pretty much carbon copies of each other in some form, but they get a pass because we think they're more artsy than they are.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #958
Ipodman
Love Tension

Thanks to Oldboy

Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #959
Vengeance of Bane
Side-Kick

I think the banishment of Thor was the finest scene in Marvel's phase 1 movies. Hopkins' line delivery was amazing and very powerful.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #960
Donnie Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
A lot of those movies are pretty much carbon copies of each other in some form, but they get a pass because we think they're more artsy than they are.

This could be it. For over a decade, I have been meaning to see it because of how great it supposedly is. It was in my Netflix instant queue since October, and I finally watched it. The characters and plot were so thin. Also, it amazes me that it came out in 2000. It looks like it was made it the 70s or 80s, but without the cheesy charm of an 80s film like Red Dawn.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #961
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance of Bane View Post
I think the banishment of Thor was the finest scene in Marvel's phase 1 movies. Hopkins' line delivery was amazing and very powerful.
I think everything happening in Asgard was truly something else. Beautifully done and, as you say, acted.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #962
Visualiza
What is a yout?

For the life of me, I can't understand why people clamor for the RT% of a film to be high. Critical consensus should never hold any bearing on one's individual enjoyment of a movie. The other disturbing part about this mentality is that it also suggests that people have decided how they feel about a movie long before they've actually seen it. Now, say you legitimately dislike the movie, but the critical consensus is off the charts...what then? Do you really think that mediocrity should be celebrated? More importantly, I can't help but wonder how many people rely on the tomatometer to either reinforce or ultimately influence how they feel about a film. It's the quintessential example of sheepish, blind consumerism in my eyes.

Box office take I understand, to a point. Naturally, you'd want a film you enjoy to at least make enough money to secure a sequel. In this case, you're simply hoping that enough people agree with you so that you can get more of what you want, but in the other...you're allowing other people's experiences to define your own, and to me...that's dangerous, let alone foolhardy.

The first two Blade films are among my favorites in the genre; both were critically panned. Bad Boys? Loved it. Same with the entire Matrix trilogy. Give me Along Came Polly or 50 First Dates over anything from Will Ferrell, any day of the week. I just can't relate to this mentality at all...it's the perfect example of surrendering your individuality, and not even for the sake of conformity...I'd like to believe that people don't do this to 'fit in', but to quell some sort of insecurity, maybe? I don't know, probably won't ever figure it out, but I sure as Hell can't abide it. I can hardly even take someone seriously when they quote aggregate scores during a debate. If I'm debating you, I don't want some arbitrary percentage, I want to know what you think.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #963
DyeLorean

Speaking for myself here, but I see the RT% to decide if I will pay $50 to see a movie or not. I enjoy going to the theater as much as anyone, but if the film is ****, the enjoyment of the night diminishes quite drastically. Sure, the movie might be good for me with a rotten %, but I'll find that out when I see it on DVD. When I go out to see a movie, I try to go see the stuff I believe I'm gonna like and/or I know that it has good criticism.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #964
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
Speaking for myself here, but I see the RT% to decide if I will pay $50 to see a movie or not. I enjoy going to the theater as much as anyone, but if the film is ****, the enjoyment of the night diminishes quite drastically. Sure, the movie might be good for me with a rotten %, but I'll find that out when I see it on DVD. When I go out to see a movie, I try to go see the stuff I believe I'm gonna like and/or I know that it has good criticism.
I think that's reasonable, as you still approach the experience with an open mind; that's no different than going to see a movie about The Flash because you like the character, you're impressed with the film crew/studio, good WOM, trailers, etc.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #965
DyeLorean

Right. What I mean is, I don't let the tomatometer speak for me. I see the movies and I have my own take about them. Sometimes it fits with the rating, and sometimes it doesn't. But I always judge for myself. The problem is when people incorporates the RT% into an argument.

Last edited by DyeLorean; 06-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #966
Donnie Darko

My favorite is when someone says something like "Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 74%, but I would give it like 93%," meaning they don't really grasp what the percentage means.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #967
Max J Power
Trash Boat

I prefer Metacritic to Rotten Tomatoes. Surprisingly, the scores on the two sites are often fairly close, but I'm more interested in seeing the degree to which critics liked a movie, rather than the number of critics who gave it a positive review.

Most of the time, though, bad reviews will only deter me from seeing a movie in theaters if there are several movies out I want to see at the same time. The badly reviewed one will often lose priority. Provided I thought it looked good in the first place, of course.

Last edited by Max J Power; 06-09-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #968
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

This is 40 is, easily, Judd Apatow's best film

The Master, to me, has similar flaws to There Will Be Blood, mainly that's it overly long and just seems to be a mix mash of various themes that never really seem to completely connect to anything. That said, I feel Master was quite superior, since TWBB was basically a one-man show, and the former had a cast of terrific performances.

Bernie is a bit of an underrated classic, not just for the story and performance of Jack Black, but because it was able to capture the feeling of a small, Southern town without being too over the top and/or being condescending.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #969
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
I really like the movie, I got the sequel and it's ready for watch
Can I see your cons?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #970
Donnie Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I really like the movie, I got the sequel and it's ready for watch
Can I see your cons?
I realize most of this will be my unpopular opinion, but...

I thought the characters in the movie were either VERY thin or non-existent. They were pretty much all very forgettable, and it seemed like none of the kids has any character or personality to them. They tried to overextend themselves, though, by trying to have emotional moments with a lot of different characters (like the one guy who went to save or check on his crush, but when he got to her, she was afraid and killed him, yet he still proclaimed his love for her or whatever). That scene may have had some emotional impact if we had any idea who these characters were, but it was just like that was their one scene.

The "bad guys" in general were a joke to me. The one kid who volunteered seemed neither intimidating or all that dangerous, since he appeared to have no idea how to use the one gun he loved shooting so much. I also don't remember any explanation of why someone would volunteer, other than "he's crazy" or something like that. The former teacher was even worse. Why were the military/government guys even taking orders from him?

At the beginning, it looked like the whole thing was a media frenzy, yet that was never touched on again. Do people even know this is going on when it does? If so, why the hell would any kid show up for school the day of a "class trip"?

I don't know, maybe it was all just me. I just didn't like it. I could keep saying things I didn't like, but I know I am in the minority on that movie.

The one scene I thought was great was the one in the lighthouse with all of the girls. I thought the way they all turned on each other so quickly when just the thought of suspicion came up was really well done.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #971
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I will add one to your list; the story specifies they're 7th grade students, but they look and sound more like high school students

On the parents bit; they get informed on the day of the field trip, assume it's after abducting the class

Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #972
doobie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
I think everything happening in Asgard was truly something else. Beautifully done and, as you say, acted.
all those parts were the only time I ever saw a movie that looked like Jack Kirby art.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #973
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie View Post
all those parts were the only time I ever saw a movie that looked like Jack Kirby art.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #974
DyeLorean

I have to see it again, but as I recall Superman Returns wasn't a bad movie at all. Is was just trying so bad to mimic and honor the Donner films that it didn't provide anything "new". I appreciate the effort of acknowledging those first 2 movies, but having Luthor again as a villain, with no real threat to the character, was underwhelming.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #975
Donnie Darko

I completely agree.

Closed Thread