The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #101
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - Part 12

It's not really about the quality of the movies, though. It's what Affleck lends to them.

Of course, it probably doesn't help that I seem to quite dislike him as an actor.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #102
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

He won me over like 15 years ago when I first saw Mallrats.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #103
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

I've never had a problem with Ben Affleck. Sure, there was a period in the early 2000s when he had a bunch of crap films, but I never felt like it was his fault they were crap. As a director, he's knocked 3 for 3 out of the park, in my opinion.

Also I thought he made a terrific Matt Murdock.

Free Original Music
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #104
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Even if you like The Town, you gotta admit, its like the more boring love child of TDK and The Departed.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #105
Han Solo
Scruffy Nerfherder

Here goes a few of more of mine

I Enjoy all the Batman movies, yes... all of them. With the exception of TDKR.
I Love the star wars prequels.
I Enjoyed the 2011 Conan the Barbarian.
People need to stop perpetuating this myth that Boba Fett is some kind of badass. All right? He has a jet pack. So did the Rocketeer. Really cool. When it comes time for battle, the man's Michael Bay - all style, no substance.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #106
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Not at all
You're confusing Perks with Silver Linings Playbook
Annoying is what I would define them.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #107
Donnie Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Here goes a few of more of mine

I Enjoy all the Batman movies, yes... all of them. With the exception of TDKR.
I Love the star wars prequels.
I Enjoyed the 2011 Conan the Barbarian.
People need to stop perpetuating this myth that Boba Fett is some kind of badass. All right? He has a jet pack. So did the Rocketeer. Really cool. When it comes time for battle, the man's Michael Bay - all style, no substance.
The Rocketeer is also awesome.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #108
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Even if you like The Town, you gotta admit, its like the more boring love child of TDK and The Departed.
Other than that the action sequences are shot like Nolan and it's about criminals in Boston, no, I don't think it is.

Free Original Music
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #109
OctaviusINC
It's Clobberin' Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
I'll admit I think he's a badass. But that's because I read a lot of the EU mythos of Boba Fett. In the EU he IS badass. Even in the animated Clone Wars where they focus on him as a kid...he's a badass.

Going by Boba Fett in ESB and RotJ...well...he looks really cool. That's about it.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #110
Han Solo
Scruffy Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaviusINC View Post
I'll admit I think he's a badass. But that's because I read a lot of the EU mythos of Boba Fett. In the EU he IS badass. Even in the animated Clone Wars where they focus on him as a kid...he's a badass.

Going by Boba Fett in ESB and RotJ...well...he looks really cool. That's about it.
This is true. boba fett is certainly more of a badass in the EU. Always looks cool, granted. but Han Solo is where it's at.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #111
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
I've never had a problem with Ben Affleck. Sure, there was a period in the early 2000s when he had a bunch of crap films, but I never felt like it was his fault they were crap. As a director, he's knocked 3 for 3 out of the park, in my opinion.

Also I thought he made a terrific Matt Murdock.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's a shame he never got to flesh out his Murdock, as they could have done something really cool with Born Again.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #112
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Other than that the action sequences are shot like Nolan and it's about criminals in Boston, no, I don't think it is.
The Town and TDK were shot very similarly in general; both utilizing nearly the same bleached filer.

All three movies were extremely rooted in the same subgenre of crime; dealing specifically with the innerworkings of organized crime - all in a more similar way than, say, Goodfellas or The Godfather.

Generally if you rip off one full scene or sequence - let alone two - comparisons are usually made, and made aptly.

Like The Departed, The Town dealt heavily with its main character attempting to escape the inner trappings of both organized crime, and their personal family legacy.

Yes, both took place in Boston - creating a very similar an consistent landscape throughout both movies. Its not just a tiny aspect; its in the background of nearly every shot and every moment of both films.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of right now too.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #113
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Oh, I also found the plotting of The Departed and The Town very similar in that, you'd have these bursts of crime and violence, then subsequent scenes of the lead characters reacting and struggling with the preceding violence.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #114
ChickenScratch
Banned User

The Jason Momoa Conan was awsome and it's one of my more modern favorites. Not many good barbarian/gladiator/peplum/sword-fight movies are coming out. That Conan movie was the last time in a long time we got some brutal sword fighting and barbarian action on screen. Too bad it didn't do well, I was hoping for a slew of copies just like when Steve Reeves made Hercules and it kick started the old peplums then again in the '80's when the Arnold Conan got it started again.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #115
Travesty
TEOL

Maybe I need to check out the new Conan? It used to be on Netflix, so hopefully its still there.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #116
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
The Town and TDK were shot very similarly in general; both utilizing nearly the same bleached filer.
I think this has more to do that booth are heavily borrowing from Michael Mann than anything else.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #117
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:

All three movies were extremely rooted in the same subgenre of crime; dealing specifically with the innerworkings of organized crime - all in a more similar way than, say, Goodfellas or The Godfather.

Generally if you rip off one full scene or sequence - let alone two - comparisons are usually made, and made aptly.

Like The Departed, The Town dealt heavily with its main character attempting to escape the inner trappings of both organized crime, and their personal family legacy.

Yes, both took place in Boston - creating a very similar an consistent landscape throughout both movies. Its not just a tiny aspect; its in the background of nearly every shot and every moment of both films.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of right now too.
I don't really see much similarity in the Town and The Dark Knight other than some compositional references to Heat, but I definitely see much similarity in the Town and The Departed.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #118
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Oh, I also found the plotting of The Departed and The Town very similar in that, you'd have these bursts of crime and violence, then subsequent scenes of the lead characters reacting and struggling with the preceding violence.
Eh, I think you're stretching a bit. Sure, the plotting is kinda similar, but the reasoning and motives to their "reactions/struggles" come from a totally different perspective. One is about an undercover cop who doesn't like all the violence he has to deal with in order to bring down the bad guys, while the other is about a bad guy who does bad things for a living and is trying to get out of that life style.

I mean, if I wanted to, I could say the same thing about Heat. You have these moments of action, and then you have Al Pacino struggling to catch the bad guys. It's just a cops vs robbers type movie. There's not really much you can do, unless you have nothing but action.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #119
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

But I'm referring to the structure itself. What you're talking about is the reasoning built on top of that structure.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #120
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
But I'm referring to the structure itself. What you're talking about is the reasoning built on top of that structure.
Yeah, I noted that(even though you're commenting on a very loose form of "structure", as the plots aren't all that similar), but like I already said, that's something you'll see in just about every cops vs robber type film. The only obvious similarities between the two movies would be that they're both set in Boston.

You can't really make a drama/thriller with no drama.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #121
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Yeah, I noted that(even though you're commenting on a very loose form of "structure", as the plots aren't all that similar), but like I already said, that's something you'll see in just about every cops vs robber type film. The only obvis similarities between the two movies would be that they're both set in Boston.

You can't really make a drama/thriller with no drama.
Not necessarily. As I already stated, there's numerous films - Goodfellas, The Godfather, Carlito's Way, City of God, whatever - about organized crime they are nothing like The Town or The Departed.

I do agree with you in a way; I would say that all four movies - The Town, TDK, The Departed, and Heat - are all part of a very specific subgenre of crime film; all working off of a similar structure and strategy yo illicit a similar emotionl/dramatic response. But of them, The Town (while still good, of course) is the weakest, IMO.

And to say the only similarity is that they both take place in Boston is just intellectually dishonest, as I listed a half dozen other similarities as well. And was me not really trying. I could probably find three times as many if I were actually looking for similarities while watching the two movies.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #122
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
And to say the only similarity is that they both take place in Boston is just intellectually dishonest, as I listed a half dozen other similarities as well. And was me not really trying. I could probably find three times as many if I were actually looking for similarities while watching the two movies.
Oh I agree, but when I said that, I said "obvious similarities". Because like I already said, it's just something you'll see within this type of genre.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #123
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

And that was really my overall point to begin with; that they all are apart of a very specific genre.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #124
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
The Jason Momoa Conan was awsome and it's one of my more modern favorites. Not many good barbarian/gladiator/peplum/sword-fight movies are coming out. That Conan movie was the last time in a long time we got some brutal sword fighting and barbarian action on screen. Too bad it didn't do well, I was hoping for a slew of copies just like when Steve Reeves made Hercules and it kick started the old peplums then again in the '80's when the Arnold Conan got it started again.
I liked it too!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #125
Donnie Darko

Because of this thread, I decided to watch Conan the Barbarian tonight. My wife is in bed with a migraine, so I have free reign on the tv tonight. Maybe it is the half a bottle of bourbon talking, but halfway through this movie, it is pretty awful.