The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #126
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Default Re: If the Wrestling Thread wanted to dance, it'd get a date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
Like someone else said it IS time to update the WWE logo. The scratch logo looks so f***n dated now. In the PG era you'd think they would have changed it. That Attitude Era style logo sure doesnt mesh with what is essentially a belt made to sell cheaper replica belts and childrens toys. Thats really the reason the new belt looks the way it does. Just like UnionJack said.
Agreed. I've been saying the same for ages.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #127
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

I think they should open up discussion for a new logo or brainstorm if they haven't yet.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #128
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanham View Post
Bit darker blue maybe on the globe but I like it.

The black backround on the face seems blank and it actually looks like a piece of wood that was just painted with black paint, was the first thing I thought. Maybe if it was an onyx opal type of background it'd look better to me, I don't know.
The filler at the back of the main plate is just the tooled leather strap, I think. The base/back plate was removed to make the overall weight of the belt lighter, one of the criticisms of the Spinner. Originally this weighed more than the Spinner.

Fun fact, both the Spinner and WHC were redone a couple of years ago with aluminium plates, after Cena complained that the WHC was too heavy.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #129
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Made a little edit of the new belt on my lunch.
Added a globe to try and improve the background.

That actually does look nicer and now I wish they added the globe to it. Like others said, I think the blue can be darker, but great edit to it.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #130
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
That actually does look nicer and now I wish they added the globe to it. Like others said, I think the blue can be darker, but great edit to it.
Just something quick over lunch.
It's just a little too bland in places now, even just having something other than black leather would work.

The whole shape is off putting, TNA have a great looking championship they stuck with the classic atheistic people know from Wrestling belts.
You'd think the "top" company would want the best looking belts.

Also for the logo why not something like the classic WWF logo updated, as the product has no real attitude.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #131
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I bet if Punk was the one to debut the new belt everyone would be tripping over themselves to say awesome it is.
Pretty much.

I don't know how I feel about the new belt. I'm not a huge fan of it. But I don't hate it. But then again, I also liked the Spinner belt.

What worries me now about Wrestlemania is the potential of Cena powerhousing his way through Punk, and then Rock, to emerge triumphantly at Wrestlemania, holding up his belt and bringing the Spinner back triumphantly, and overcoming the very idea that the show doesn't have to be John Cena oriented.

They did that bit about a year ago with "Monday Night Raw Starring Brock Lesnar", but the show really is "Monday Night Raw Starring John Cena", and I just have a bad feeling Cena fighting to bring his title back is gonna be part of the storyline.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #132
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
It's just a little too bland in places now, even just having something other than black leather would work.

The whole shape is off putting, TNA have a great looking championship they stuck with the classic atheistic people know from Wrestling belts.
You'd think the "top" company would want the best looking belts.

Also for the logo why not something like the classic WWF logo updated, as the product has no real attitude.
With the logo, it makes sense why not to change it. It's a very famous noticeable logo that reminds people of their greatest success financially and popularity-wise, which was the Attitude Era.

With the actual title right now, I think I'm going to be able to warm up to it. I don't think it's that bad, but I think with time it's going to look better to me.

With that said, I now want a globe added to the belt!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #133
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Pretty much.

I don't know how I feel about the new belt. I'm not a huge fan of it. But I don't hate it. But then again, I also liked the Spinner belt.

What worries me now about Wrestlemania is the potential of Cena powerhousing his way through Punk, and then Rock, to emerge triumphantly at Wrestlemania, holding up his belt and bringing the Spinner back triumphantly, and overcoming the very idea that the show doesn't have to be John Cena oriented.

They did that bit about a year ago with "Monday Night Raw Starring Brock Lesnar", but the show really is "Monday Night Raw Starring John Cena", and I just have a bad feeling Cena fighting to bring his title back is gonna be part of the storyline.

I loved the spinner belt when it debut also because it not only went with John Cena's character, but it was a pretty innovative belt at the time.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #134
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator

Quote:

You'd think the "top" company would want the best looking belts
As the top company they probably think they can dictate a new direction on things like this (which is true only for their own company) and people will follow just like with the term "wrestling". With the way they've done business in the past WWE probably thinks they can sell this new kind of belt design as new and modern and the old designs as tired, dated, and in need of updating with the times.

Problem is some of the better older belt designs were timeless. This new belt? Not so much. It looks very "right now" and not in a good way. I cant see it being timeless in 20 years and it sure as sh** isn't something a Lou Thesz or Buddy Rogers or Bob Backlund would look right wearing. Put the winged eagle on any of those guys and it wouldn't look nearly as out of place.

The big gold belt looks just as good now as it did 20 years ago. Ive never heard most say it was dated or needed to be replaced. Thats a timeless design. So was the winged eagle.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #135
UnionJack

Quote:
I loved the spinner belt when it debut also because it not only went with John Cena's character, but it was a pretty innovative belt at the time.
Never liked that spinner, always looked like a cheap gimmick.
It's amazing how much Cena has had things his own way, wasn't his first title also re-done as a spinner just for him.
That's alot of custom stuff for a limited performer.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #136
UnionJack

Quote:
The big gold belt looks just as good now as it did 20 years ago. Ive never heard most say it was dated or needed to be replaced. Thats a timeless design. So was the winged eagle.
Which is why I'm shocked it hasn't changed since it was brought over from the poor invasion days.
Other than the new/old IC title its the last of the real classics and ones I remember from a child, backyard wrestling with my friends wanting to be the next Hulk/Ultimate Warrior.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #137
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

think the belt looks ALOT better here, much more worthy of a championship belt imo - my complaints still stand but I really do like it so much more than the spinner

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #138
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Made a little edit of the new belt on my lunch.
Added a globe to try and improve the background.

oh just seen this... I think a darker/muted blue or that dark red from the other panels and removing the "diamonds" and it would look great

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #139
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Everytime I look at it I get an Egyptian/Las Vegas type vibe.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #140
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

The Spinner should have just been a gimmick belt for Cena and Cena alone, a la Austin and the Smoking Skull belt. When Edge first won it, I thought he only kept it as a means to build his feud with Cena on, similar to Rock and Austin with the Smoking Skull. But when others started wearing it and namely Triple H, considering how much of a traditionalist he is, I started to think surely they can't be serious?...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #141
UnionJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
oh just seen this... I think a darker/muted blue or that dark red from the other panels and removing the "diamonds" and it would look great
Will have a proper edit later in the evening, try and improve it.
Might even send it off to WWE see if they want to use it, in exchange for a replica of it and the 90's winged belt.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #142
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
I think the reason I quite like it is the shape of it, just feel more like a title that the spinner, and its something WWE havent gone with before in terms of belt design (to my knowledge) my problem is its close to being very awesome but just a bit lacking... however it does look alot better in photos than that promo shot everyone keeps posting

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #143
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator

Quote:
With the logo, it makes sense why not to change it. It's a very famous noticeable logo that reminds people of their greatest success financially and popularity-wise, which was the Attitude Era.

With the actual title right now, I think I'm going to be able to warm up to it. I don't think it's that bad, but I think with time it's going to look better to me.
The thing is its not the Attitude Era anymore. Anybody who sees that logo now and tunes in expecting to be reminded of that era is going to be in for a big disappointment

Companies update their logos all the time even if its different from the one they sported during a sucessful period. Broadly speaking The Rock 'N' Wrestling era was about as sucessful as the Attitude Era and its logo is also one that many people remember well and fondly. But even that logo was changed when the company changed direction (to the Attitude Era). and WWE has changed direction since the AE.

They've sported the AE scratch logo for years while WWE's ratings, buyrates, and general popularity have slowly eroded. Right now its familiarity alone isn't showing enough reason to keep it around.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #144
strikezone89
Smarks Chat CM PUNK :-/

I'm going to say it.. I love the new title design. Compared to what we have had the last few years, its a huge step up. Its a bit more generic and not geared to a single wrestler. I think a bit part of the reasoning is that the brand WWE sticks out like a sore thumb on it. The main focus of the belt is the WWE logo so while its being toured around for media, that sticks out where the Cena belt had some many different things on it that distracted from the main WWE logo.
I will be ordering my replica with my tax return ;-)

1) The Dark Knight 2) Guardians of the Galaxy 3) Captain America: TWS 4) Incredible Hulk 5)The Avengers

"Let's put a smile on that face"
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #145
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
The Spinner should have just been a gimmick belt for Cena and Cena alone, a la Austin and the Smoking Skull belt. When Edge first won it, I thought he only kept it as a means to build his feud with Cena on, similar to Rock and Austin with the Smoking Skull. But when others started wearing it and namely Triple H, considering how much of a traditionalist he is, I started to think surely they can't be serious?...
yeah it didnt suit HHH and it didnt really suit The Rock.... I was surprised how well it suited CM Punk aesthetically though

did the Rock ever hole the winged eagle belt (not the attitude one)? i know he held attitude, smokin skull, undisputed, spinner and new, which is 5 different wwe title designs

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #146
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the reason I quite like it is the shape of it, just feel more like a title that the spinner, and its something WWE havent gone with before in terms of belt design (to my knowledge) my problem is its close to being very awesome but just a bit lacking... however it does look alot better in photos than that promo shot everyone keeps posting
Yeah, it does look lacking and unfinished. The only things I like about it, from a belt enthusiast pov is the subtle nod to the Winged Eagle with the bars at the sides of the main plate. The customisable logo side plates is something new, and the tooling on the leather is intricate and like nothing I've seen before. Overall though, I still don't like it.

Quote:
yeah it didnt suit HHH and it didnt really suit The Rock.... I was surprised how well it suited CM Punk aesthetically though

did the Rock ever hole the winged eagle belt (not the attitude one)? i know he held attitude, smokin skull, undisputed, spinner and new, which is 5 different wwe title designs
I concur. Yeah, Punk made it work, despite how I felt about it.

Nah, the first WWE title the Rock held was the Big Eagle at Survivor Series 98. Austin was the last to hold the Winged Eagle, and changed over to the Big Eagle the night after winning it at WM14.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #147
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
It truthfully does look like a toned down version of the Spinner belt. Cut from the same cloth and all.

I find if funny that Rock says that he doesn't want to hold a belt that looks like a toy, then he whips out this piece of crap that looks like a bastard child of the spinner.

And yes, I would have been disappointed if Punk debuted it too.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #148
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
The thing is its not the Attitude Era anymore. Anybody who sees that logo now and tunes in expecting to be reminded of that era is going to be in for a big disappointment

Companies update their logos all the time even if its different from the one they sported during a sucessful period. Broadly speaking The Rock 'N' Wrestling era was about as sucessful as the Attitude Era and its logo is also one that many people remember well and fondly. But even that logo was changed when the company changed direction (to the Attitude Era). and WWE has changed direction since the AE.

They've sported the AE scratch logo for years while WWE's ratings, buyrates, and general popularity have slowly eroded. Right now its familiarity alone isn't showing enough reason to keep it around.
I agree. As regards to the classic block logo that has been modified to the legands 'WW' logo, there are some small amounts of people who are now looking at it the Cena 'Word Life' logo. Crazy, I know.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #149
epc11223
Side-Kick

the new belt has grown on me a little bit but it just looks way too big. i think it's going to look ridiculous when people actually wear it. it's more of a boxing belt which i've never been too fond of. aesthetically, the simplicity is growing on me and it's the wwe title not the world heavyweight title so it makes sense to just have the logo, but i definitely like the blue background that someone fan made, that looks really cool. but they also want to mass produce the thing so having minimal background is probably easier for wwe to produce in large quantities. but really, it's just way too big.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #150
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator

Quote:
Which is why I'm shocked it hasn't changed since it was brought over from the poor invasion days.
Other than the new/old IC title its the last of the real classics and ones I remember from a child, backyard wrestling with my friends wanting to be the next Hulk/Ultimate Warrior.
There are probably a lot of reasons why it hasn't been replaced yet. The WWE title is the primary title that represents the company. The World Heavyweight Championship is a secondary title after that one so it probably isn't focused on or scrutinized as much by the WWE brass. Its not THE symbol when it comes to representing the whole company.

The Big Gold Belt has also spent most of its history on Smackdown, the B show. Smackdowns usually been the more traditional wrestling show while Raw has been the more over the top skit/gagga driven sports entertainment show.

The Big Gold belt is also formerly the NWA championship and the WCW championship. Its also essentially Flairs belt. Triple H reveres all of those entities/people and as a traditionalist he'd be someone who would want to keep it around. Vince also has some affinity for Flair and what he represents.

It was also presented to Triple as the first "World Heavyweight Champion" in WWE so he'd be one that might want to see its legacy continue. He's at the very start of it in its current form in WWE.

They might have a new WHC belt in waiting but the current big gold belt has outlasted...what...three or four WWE Championship belt designs? There's got to be a few good reasons for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol
Thats because it looks like a gaudy piece off the Vegas strip that you might find in a pawn shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol
Yeah for Cena I didn't mind since other champions have had custom belts but as soon as other people started wearing it--for years no less--it was absurd.

WWE let greed and promotion get in the way of logical character and story actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc11223 View Post
the new belt has grown on me a little bit but it just looks way too big. i think it's going to look ridiculous when people actually wear it. it's more of a boxing belt which i've never been too fond of. aesthetically, the simplicity is growing on me and it's the wwe title not the world heavyweight title so it makes sense to just have the logo, but i definitely like the blue background that someone fan made, that looks really cool. but they also want to mass produce the thing so having minimal background is probably easier for wwe to produce in large quantities. but really, it's just way too big.
I think the main plate is just to big and square and...well...blocky looking for lack of a better term. And they went overboard on the diamonds IMO.

If they'd massage the outer shape of the belt even a little and tone down the bling it would look a lot better. That main front plate just kills the "flow" of the belt. Especially when I think of it around someones waist.

As of right now though...it still looks like something on a high priced brothels whore mirror.

Last edited by Metallo; 02-19-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Closed Thread