Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #326
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
Card was garbage. Wasted fight for Jones, and now he's gonna be out with that broken toe. He should just move up. He's beaten everyone and now he's even fighting blown up middleweights. It's ridiculous. I know everyone is calling for Alex the Mauler, but come on, really? You wanna see that guy get tossed around? Dude can't even beat Phil Davis.
So what? Alex is 7-1 in the UFC and has six straight wins. At some point you got to give guys shots.

Ben Henderson lost the WEC title to Pettis but he still became UFC champ. That's silly logic.

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #327
B
[insert witty comment]

No question, Jones was outmuscling Chael from the start & was raining down shots on him like nobodies business at the end... but dam it is really, really annoying when a referee steps in sooner than he should have. Chael was still defending himself there at the end, his forearms were what was eating the 5 or 6 elbows Jones threw & the only things that landed was the knee to the sternum & the final punch before the stoppage. No doubt he was in trouble, but a fight should be allowed to go until a fighter isn't defending themselves.. which Chael was.

Look how good the Brock/Carwin fight turned out when a fighter that, while in serious trouble, is allowed to continue so long as he is defending himself & not taking unanswered & hard shots to the head or body.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #328
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

That wasn't a quick stoppage. Chael would've been hurt worse for the rest of that round.

He was turtled in fetal position and eating elbows. Chael said he was done. It was a good stoppage.

So the round ends and they stop the fight, what kind of win is that for Sonnen? He wins the title because Jones broke his toe stepping wrong? How is that a good win?

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #329
Project862006
Banned User

then tell Jones to retire since he is god amongst men since no one will stop his takedowns

if your criteria for a jones opponent is stuff takedowns then you will be waiting a long time

Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #330
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Silva apparently wants the Jones fight now. At least that's what it sounds like at the press conference.

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #331
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Jones wants nothing to do with the Heavyweight division. Why would he move up when he can overpower fighters like Sonnen at LHW? Jon wouldn't want to stand and trade with JDS or Overeem and grapple with Cain. It's a mismatch for him. He's better off at LHW where he can dominate (similar to how Gray Maynard enjoys the size and strength advantage in the LW division).

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #332
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well if he does a super fight it will be with Anderson Silva first and foremost.

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #333
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
That wasn't a quick stoppage. Chael would've been hurt worse for the rest of that round.

He was turtled in fetal position and eating elbows. Chael said he was done. It was a good stoppage.

So the round ends and they stop the fight, what kind of win is that for Sonnen? He wins the title because Jones broke his toe stepping wrong? How is that a good win?
I've got 2 eyes, I know what I saw. Jones hit him twice cleanly during the final onslaught. Sonnen's forearms absorbed the rest of the blows & the only way his forearms would have been there would have been if he wasn't intelligently defending himself.

Chael says lots of things, you don't believe everything he says do you? It was a **** early stoppage, should have been left for another 5-10 seconds.

If Chael was really done at that point & actually believes to himself he was done, he would have tapped out as he was still fully functional.

Last edited by B; 04-28-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #334
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Jones wants nothing to do with the Heavyweight division. Why would he move up when he can overpower fighters like Sonnen at LHW? Jon wouldn't want to stand and trade with JDS or Overeem and grapple with Cain. It's a mismatch for him. He's better off at LHW where he can dominate (similar to how Gray Maynard enjoys the size and strength advantage in the LW division).
Jones would be very outmatched in the heavyweight division, from what I understand Jones cuts between 10-15 pounds to make 205 after an 8+ week camp.. Which isn't alot of weight at all.

If he is going to move up to HW, he'd need to put on at least 10lbs of muscle.. even then by the time he does his camps & gets into his usual fighting shape, he'd still be touching 230lbs I'd say which is quite light for a HW.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #335
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

B, generally fighters will think a fight got stopped too early. That doesn't make them right. Miesha Tate thought her fight with Cat Zingano was stopped early, that doesn't mean its the truth.

The fight wasn't stopped early. Sonnen was getting smashed. That was not intelligent defense.

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #336
Project862006
Banned User

Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #337
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
B, generally fighters will think a fight got stopped too early. That doesn't make them right. Miesha Tate thought her fight with Cat Zingano was stopped early, that doesn't mean its the truth.
Isn't this exactly what I just said to you? Sonnen said at the end he didn't dispute the stoppage, even though he clearly did because he was clearly not hurt enough that his guard was dropped.

Quote:
The fight wasn't stopped early. Sonnen was getting smashed. That was not intelligent defense.
Dude, blocking 90% of all the shots thrown at him was as intelligent defense as you can get in that situation given Jones had got him in such a dominant position. What would you have considered intelligent defense? Sonnen to try & kick Jones off or push him away & stand up, in the process eating about 5 or 6 hard shots to the face?

The referee is only in there to step in if a fighter is unable to defend himself or isn't defending himself well enough, the footage speaks for itself, Jones threw like 5 or 6 elbows, all of which were blocked completely by Sonnen's forearms, the only 2 blows that he actually landed were the knee to the sternum when he first got him down & the punch just before the referee stepped in.

More than likely Jones would have continued to throw punches/elbows & landed more eventually finishing Sonnen properly, however that doesn't change the fact that it was an early stoppage. Should have been let to play out for another 5-10 seconds at least, then if he was still only blocking, it would have been far more acceptable stoppage.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #338
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Good pictures.

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #339
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

that toe looked nasty. eye pokes as well, and the thumb. really strange card.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #340
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne
Well if he does a super fight it will be with Anderson Silva first and foremost.
The only thing that makes this a fight worth making is if Silva fights Jones at 205 for the title in an attempt to be the first guy to hold two belts at the same time.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 05-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #341
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Jones would be very outmatched in the heavyweight division, from what I understand Jones cuts between 10-15 pounds to make 205 after an 8+ week camp.. Which isn't alot of weight at all.

If he is going to move up to HW, he'd need to put on at least 10lbs of muscle.. even then by the time he does his camps & gets into his usual fighting shape, he'd still be touching 230lbs I'd say which is quite light for a HW.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Jones' striking isn't precisely 'elite' either. It's his reach and his ability to employ it that makes him appear Anderson Silva-esque. Jon's reach wouldn't have a great effect on strikers like JDS. I doubt he'd be able to survive Overeem's clinch strength too.

Jones should stay put in the LHW division. He's so much better off at 205. It'll be interesting to see what Mousasi, Gus, Cormier and Hendo have to offer.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #342
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.

Jones' striking isn't precisely 'elite' either. It's his reach and his ability to employ it that makes him appear Anderson Silva-esque. Jon's reach wouldn't have a great effect on strikers like JDS. I doubt he'd be able to survive Overeem's clinch strength too.

Jones should stay put in the LHW division. He's so much better off at 205. It'll be interesting to see what Mousasi, Gus, Cormier and Hendo have to offer.
Even if he put on 10lbs of muscle, I still think the visible size between the likes of JDS & Jones would be apparent by looking at them even though there would in theory only be about 10lbs or so difference between them. I think he'd struggle a little more with the double or single at HW, but his clever trips might actually be more effective at HW.

His striking is very accurate, however lacks the sort of power that fighters that come from a striking backround tend to have. However if he isn't putting people in any massive problems with 1 shot at LHW, I doubt he'd do it at HW.. even less so.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #343
Project862006
Banned User

if chael had lasted 30 more seconds you realize he would be the new ufc lhw champ?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #344
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
if chael had lasted 30 more seconds you realize he would be the new ufc lhw champ?
Yep, it would have been the worst way possible to win your first UFC title, seemingly by default because the champion couldn't continue.. but still

He should have been sllowed a few more srconds, he wasn't out of that fight regardless of what anyone says.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #345
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

I see Belfort clobbering Rockhold like he did Bisping.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #346
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Rumored females for TUF 18:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/5/2/...rosa-modafferi

Baszler has got to be the favorite to win the thing, although Evinger, Modafferi and LaRosa have decent shots.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #347
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

UFC 160 is less than three weeks away, looking forward to it.

Main event is the rematch between Bigfoot and Velasquez. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was another blowout, but I give Bigfoot credit in making the adjustments needed to be more competitive.

Dos Santos vs. Hunt. Yes. This will be awesome. Dos Santos should have the advantage, but Hunt can beat anybody on the planet if they stand long enough with him. Can Dos Santos outbox Hunt for 3 rounds? Of course, but Hunt can land, and if he lands, we’re in for fireworks.

Cerrone vs. Noons. There was a time when Noons had the skills to challenge anybody in the division. That time has past. Cerrone is a jack of all trades, he wins by first round TKO.

Teixiera vs. Te Huna. Teixiera is really good, and he’ll make another statement here with a decision.

Maynard vs. Grant. Really close to call, but I’m going to assume Maynard’s wrestling will carry him through some tough moments for a split decision.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #348
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/207313.html

Pat Healy failed his post-fight drug test for marijuana and is set to lose his $135,000 purse as a result. Whether itís a drug or not is up for debate, but the fact that itís against the rules isnít.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 05-15-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #349
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

$135,000 or marijuana..... hmmm

Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #350
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

And now Nate Diaz has been suspended for spouting off about it on Twitter and using a homophobic slur.

- CM Punk
Closed Thread