The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 5

Judo 101: Kesa Gatame

The first position you learn in Judo on Day 1.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #27
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

The media and people in general, are dumb. I thought the Machida/Hendo fight was great. People need to think about what kinda fight that was going to be. You're not gonna walk in there and trade punches with Hendo to take a win. From a guy who can knock you out with one punch and has one of the best chins in MMA. Makes me want to smack people, saying the fight was boring. You have to fight tactical against someone like Hendo. I would like some of these people and media members to go train and just do a sparring session. They'd quit within 30 seconds.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

macheetah

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
macheetah
Yeah, he'd knock you out quickly.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

not if I don't move forward V_V

Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
The media and people in general, are dumb. I thought the Machida/Hendo fight was great. People need to think about what kinda fight that was going to be. You're not gonna walk in there and trade punches with Hendo to take a win. From a guy who can knock you out with one punch and has one of the best chins in MMA. Makes me want to smack people, saying the fight was boring. You have to fight tactical against someone like Hendo. I would like some of these people and media members to go train and just do a sparring session. They'd quit within 30 seconds.
Dude, that fight was all kinds of boring. The reason it was boring wasn't because it was tactical, it was because there was no action. You could count the number of legitimate significant strikes on 1 hand. GSP is a tactical fighter & even though he hasn't had a finish in his last 4/5 fights, I don't consider any of those last few fights boring.

It's somewhat ridiculous given that Lyoto Machida has such a sizeable speed advantage over Henderson that he didn't make more of an effort to be a little more aggressive given that the few times he actually did take a step forward he was so quick with his strike that he was able to get in, tag Hendo, then take about 15 steps backwards & be on the other side of the cage by the time Henderson had reacted. Sadly though he only took about 3 or 4 forward steps to attack in the whole fight. He refused to come forward & Henderson didn't have the speed to get close to him in time.. & because of this Lyoto was able to do an Anderson Silva style dance in front of Henderson just like Silva did against Maia.

Thank **** that fight wasn't the Main Event like those 2 had supposedly wanted, would have been boring to see another 2 rounds of that. If you think that fight was entertaining, you must have thought the Silva/Maia fight was Fight of The Decade.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #32
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I was there live. No one liked that fight.

How ironic considering that was the fight all the haters thought should've been the main event and got five rounds.

- CM Punk
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #33
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

How ironic considering that was the fight all the haters thought should've been the main event and got five rounds.
How was the atmosphere of the main event live?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #34
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Hamill-Joker, it was pretty amazing. Packed house and the crowd was jacked for the main event more than any other fight. People were on their feet when Carmouche almost got the big upset. I think fans would've been OK with it had Carmouche won. Once we saw Rousey going for the armbar, the reaction got even bigger.

FYI, I went to the same venue for UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos. Rousey vs. Carmouche did a better gate and attendance than a show that had a heavyweight title fight as the main event. The crowd was even better for this show. I'd also say this crowd was more intelligible about MMA and grappling. People would actually clap and get excited about the takedowns.

Here's a shot I grabbed of the main event:

I was in the cheap seats since that is all I could get for this card. I had applied to attend as press but I got turned down since Rousey got a ton of mainstream media attention that doesn't usually cover the UFC. I didn't really mind though since my friends gave me a ticket as a gift and it was nice to just sit back and enjoy the fight for once without having to worry about doing all the play-by-play coverage. My seat was front of the top level, so all in all it was a pretty good view. I think really, balcony sits are good for the UFC to get a better view of the cage.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-25-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #35
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

I do appreciate where CrypticOne is coming from & that sometimes fans & the media have a tenancy to boo or slag off fights that were 3 rounds of grappling/clinch strikes as opposed to 2 guys swinging punches left, right & centre.. however that isn't the case with the Machida/Henderson fight, it was dull & boring simply because there was no action. It was about 14 minutes of them standing with each other & the most eventful thing was Machida flailing his arms about dancing.

There was so little action that's why it was a split decision, because Henderson's fairly timid leg kicks & Machida's push kicks actually had a chance of winning each other rounds.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #36
Project862006
Banned User

yeah machida needs to be careful his lack of offense is why rampage beat him

Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #37
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
yeah machida needs to be careful his lack of offense is why rampage beat him
Exactly. Even in the Ortiz fight he was more aggressive in getting bigger attacks on Ortiz, taking him down, doing ground and pound, etc.

- CM Punk
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #38
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

The reason he was more aggressive in the Ortiz fight was because his striking was better and he had no threat from an Ortiz knock out. If you guys want to see aggression, go watch WorldstarHipHop. Machida isn't going to go punch for punch with the likes of Rampage or Hendo, speed advantage or not. He'd get knocked out. Simple as that. Machida's striking is better than Hendo's and Rampage's, but if one of those guys tag you, you're out. I don't know what people were expecting to see from that fight. Some of Hendo's punches were coming fast as hell. And he did chase Machida. It's not like he was backing away while Hendo was standing in one spot. Hendo was attacking.

If any of you have been in a fight with a power puncher, or someone generally bigger than you, bulk wise, you're gonna pick your shots and keep your distance. You're not gonna rush in there with no regard (thinking you have a speed advantage), well, most of you would probably do that and most likely get knocked.

I also don't know why fighters raise their hands when fighting Machida. CUT HIM OFF! Don't chase him. Every time I see a fighter raise their hands in protest, it makes me want to smack them. And it's not like Machida is running away. He's side stepping his opposition/creating new angles and countering when he sees an opening. I hate American fans, all they can do is boo. No respect. Most of them couldn't even take a leg kick or a punch on the arm, cause their bones would break from sharp knuckles.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
kane9321
oakland's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Judo 101: Kesa Gatame

The first position you learn in Judo on Day 1.
This is what i was telling a few people at the sports bar where we saw the fight...judo side control basically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.

They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #40
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane9321 View Post
This is what i was telling a few people at the sports bar where we saw the fight...judo side control basically
Yep. I was kinda irritated by Joe Rogan's commentary regarding the pin though. He was making it sound like Liz could easily escape/jailbreak it. Kesa is one of the toughest positions to reverse or escape in all of grappling, especially when you've got an Olympic caliber Judoka bearing down on you.

Carmouche, as a BJJ practitioner, rarely encountered the pin before. So that, too, likely played a factor in why she was overwhelmed by it.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #41
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
The reason he was more aggressive in the Ortiz fight was because his striking was better and he had no threat from an Ortiz knock out. If you guys want to see aggression, go watch WorldstarHipHop. Machida isn't going to go punch for punch with the likes of Rampage or Hendo, speed advantage or not. He'd get knocked out. Simple as that. Machida's striking is better than Hendo's and Rampage's, but if one of those guys tag you, you're out. I don't know what people were expecting to see from that fight. Some of Hendo's punches were coming fast as hell. And he did chase Machida. It's not like he was backing away while Hendo was standing in one spot. Hendo was attacking.
People expect to see exactly that, a fight. People expect to see both guys, regardless of style, show effective aggression & a some sort of willingness to engage your opponent.

The fact is Machida's style & the fact that both fighters seemingly showed too much respect to something the other fighter had, Henderson's power/Machida's speed that created the recipe for the worst fight of the card.

Machida's style is an art, he is very skilled at what he does, however he obviously hasn't learnt his lesson from the Rampage fight regarding octagon control & effective aggression, 2 of the criteria the judges are supposed to score a fight on besides clean strikes.

Quote:
If any of you have been in a fight with a power puncher, or someone generally bigger than you, bulk wise, you're gonna pick your shots and keep your distance. You're not gonna rush in there with no regard (thinking you have a speed advantage), well, most of you would probably do that and most likely get knocked.
Of course, but Machida didn't even do that. He waited & waited & waited, when Henderson maybe made 5 advances to engage him & of the 5 times he maybe ate a jab from Machida for his trouble.

Quote:
I also don't know why fighters raise their hands when fighting Machida. CUT HIM OFF! Don't chase him. Every time I see a fighter raise their hands in protest, it makes me want to smack them. And it's not like Machida is running away. He's side stepping his opposition/creating new angles and countering when he sees an opening. I hate American fans, all they can do is boo. No respect. Most of them couldn't even take a leg kick or a punch on the arm, cause their bones would break from sharp knuckles.
Simply because it's frustrating to fight a guy that is simply so defensive with his striking, don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting for 1 second that every fighter should be reckless & wild type strikers. However look at GSP vs Condit, GSP is a tactical striker, he puts defense before recklessness & yet against Condit, he pressed the action, he took the centre of the cage & he forced the striking errors from Condit.

It takes 2 fighters to make a fight, Machida certainly didn't help things & for once in his career neither did Henderson.

Pro fighters can't take leg kicks or punches either, that's why they try to check the kicks & block the punches.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #42
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #43
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

LOL, that is kind of funny.

- CM Punk
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #44
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

She'd somehow armbar both of them @the same time

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #45
Project862006
Banned User

LA Times tweet
Quote:
Strong pay per view numbers for UFC due to @RondaRousey. I'm told Saturdays fight was 40% better than the Super Bowl card. #UFC157

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #46
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I wonder what kind of numbers UFC 156 did.

I mean UFC 156 got like 2 million viewers for the prelims alone and that usually bodes well for the PPV.

- CM Punk
Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #47
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Diego Sanchez is going back to his "Nightmare" moniker for his return to 155 lbs. "The Dream" sounded dumb.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #48
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Johnson vs. Moraga off for TUF 17 finale . Johnson unfortunately injured and withdrew from the fight.

- CM Punk
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #49
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

I was looking forward to that after his awesome dodson fight.

oh well

too bad

Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #50
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

Urijah Faber vs Scott Jorgensen is the new main event for TUF 17.

Closed Thread